Why is the Europe Forum Section Mostly Quiet?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Free
Freshman Poster

Why is the Europe Forum Section Mostly Quiet?

Post by Free »

The last activity here was near a month ago, at June 1st. I think it speaks for itself and proves a point.

Probably obvious, some of the same Western-type ills as the anglo-sphere. While not as bad of course, still present.
Referring to Western/Southern Europe and not Eastern Europe of course.

Also too, it's not known as quite the hotspot for meeting females. Same issue of cliques, high judgement, snootyness, selfishness, too much thinking, some feminism, etc.

Another thing, you're no big deal if you're a guy from America, Canada, Australia, etc., and you're up against plenty of male competition in these places, whereas you go to the other countries more known for hooking up easier, you face less competition and shine in a good way.

And so, the inactivity in this section just goes to re-enhance what I had been suspecting and noticing.
Sure there can be exceptions like anything in life, but overall, not such the spot for this type of stuff when there are other places with less hassles in this regard.
Quite a shame, because otherwise, there can be many other nice things Europe has to offer. The many positive things it is known for.
Would be ideal if it had the ease of meeting like in SEA for example. Or if you were simply like the masses and doing fine already hooking up.
Maybe for some, they're just simply meant to live elsewhere. Despite all their efforts, still not much in return. Can be a sign to change locations.

Who knows. :roll:
"Give me liberty or give me death" - Patrick Henry

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I guess the main reasons are:
1) Too expensive
2) Too hard to find work for non-Eu people there.
3) Not a good place to find lots of ladies to date for an average American.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

ladislav wrote:I guess the main reasons are:
1) Too expensive
I was just going to reiterate what Ladislav wrote above. Western Europe is very expensive and job preference is given to EU nationals, not Americans. While Americans sort of have the status of "honorary Europeans" in most EU minds, the American mystique is long gone. It still exists in parts of Eastern Europe, but I would say it's not even in Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, etc. anymore.

Nowadays, too with the bad global economy, jobs are scarce in Western Europe, although most of the countries (not Spain) have lower real unemployment than the US right now. My suggestion would be to focus on Far-Eastern Europe, such as Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, etc., if Europe is your thing.

Remember too, that Western European girls are really spoiled with the generous social net, a comfy life with great food and great culture. They don't exactly dream of moving to the US, which is probably in the back of their minds when thinking about dating an American. Most Western Europeans also tend to think of Americans as being somewhat dull and uncultured, so impressing them with your cultural savvy and interest will go far. Also, if you make it absolutely clear that you intend to just stay in Europe, they would probably give you more time and attention.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

I rarely read the Europe subforum because most of the stuff posted there is stupid. I don't post much there myself because I feel that there are few people to talk to here who could relate.

Also, a lot of guys here now don't have a BA/BS, which generally makes the EU inaccessible to them as a place to live. If Winston spread his message to lonely male college students, we might see more posting in this subforum.

BTW, I'm treated quite well in Hungary and many people still think it's interesting that I'm an American--as opposed to the indifference I experienced in the Czech Republic. Since Hungarians are isolated in a "sea of Slavs," perhaps they enjoy foreign allies more, whereas a Czech might think, "f**k you, American, I'd rather talk to a Polish dude who's a fellow Slav." Anyway, I've given my opinions of the Czech Republic in several old threads.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

I have to agree with why the European section is quiet. I currently live in Vienna and most of the Americans are interesting is long gone. I am American who is African ancestry and this makes it almost mixed for me in that most people think I am African and then if I talk in an American accent it is different. I would say that Jackal is true as Ladislav. Most countries cater to people who are originally from the EU. I have University degree in IT and I am doing a internship here right now. Possibly I might study or teach if I cannot find a job at the end of internship next year. The only way, I could stay is if I can get married or somehow find a company who can sponsor me and I would have to stay in the country for 5 years to get permanent residence.
Free
Freshman Poster

Post by Free »

Impressive! Great replies! Spot on. Can usually count on this forum.

One of the several interesting points mentioned, the American card is mostly non-existent. Certainly not like a 1950's visit, or heck, even 1980's. Probably were like a rock star back then. Times change.
Actually, have even found this recently in some latin american places. There are quite a lot of people just getting sick of the whole American thing. Also as these previously "lower class" societies begin to move up, they lose that admiration, there's less to admire of America/Americans both from their (the previously "lower class" "3rd worlders") new status and from the recent American status.

It's tough to almost be forced to chose between the nice aspects of Europe, but possibly a very dry dating scene vs losing those nice aspects, going to the better hotspots but being able to much more easily date.
Even more difficult when you have some attachments to Europe as well. Wouldn't it be nice if it all worked in one place.
Ladislav, I remember one of your posts where you mention the Flags aspect, that typically a person may not find all in one place. Would be nice, but not always possible. Maybe for the masses. Maybe not. They have a "normal" life. Are they actually doing well in the one spot? Maybe. Maybe the fringe are just the fringe. Maybe they're all right and the fringe/minority are wrong. But it's all relative. All depends on the individual and their version of freedom, contentment and such.
Now just thinking aloud, rambling.

Thanks for the replies.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I would site expense as the main reason.

As for jobs, that's hard to say. Most of the major corporations yes mostly want people with degrees. That said, everybody can find a niche and a job they can at least live on. That said its much harder doing it from a position of "outsider". What you need to do is marry a local, which gives you resident status. Having said that, you can live in The Netherlands I think after 6 months as a resident. You can watch the show "In From Holland" online or on Mhz Networks (PBS-World) and the host is an African-American from Virginia who is looking to become a permanent resident and knows Dutch to fluency.

The key is to become a resident then you can put the local Government to work for you looking for a job. I'm not sure if this is the case for all the EU countries but some will provide you with job help regardless. There isn't much mentioned of Americans on much of the immigration pages for the EU, they mostly talk about coming from countries without free movement or from other member nations.

Unemployment isn't as big a problem in much of the EU because they have gone to other schemes to keep people employed, yet save money. In fact in Germany there's a program where some employers have reduced some of their hourly staff to part-time status and the Government picks up the rest.

You don't need a degree, it helps however. But nobody needs ANYTHING but food, clothes and water. Everything else is optional and how well you think outside the box. As I have said before. I got the idea of going after IT after reading a story about a former Nam vet who married a German Woman, moved to the States, couldn't find any work and decided to return to Germany around the time of Watergate. He worked as a warehouse/lift truck driver for about 20 years but then moved into computers all Microsoft certifications. I recently checked and he used to work for the German Parks District but now he works for a private company maintaining their servers/network.

I did this to so I can have viable, verifiable job skill to take with me to Europe. I'm pretty much set on spending my children's formative years in either Germany or Belgium with both have International Schools.

I don't know about this American Mystic being lost. The fact is, we bombed our future economic competition into submission (Europe and Japan), dominated in the 1950's and 1960's, but then The Owners didn't like the social discourse and tried to clamp down on it and were largely successful. So with the election of Nixon they started to roll back the New Deal, which puts us where we are today.

Americans have to compete on merit like everybody else and this is where both decisions by students (http://www.martynemko.com/articles/we-s ... ege_id1543) and parents/guardians have put maybe too many people in the college system and not trained enough high skilled labor. The economy of tomorrow will not be people stocking and boxing things, it will be people understanding electronics and complex systems. Much of what happens in warehouses and assembly of products can be done by machine. When the rate of employing people meets with the cost of automation, mass unemployment will happen. This the Elephant in the room when you talk about classic employment which is putting people to work making things as what the future will demand which is the maintenance of systems and services.

Considering how many people took the first 9 weeks and the second 9 weeks of my A+ class tells me that there still is room for people to want to pursue this. Most of the people in my class are not going anywhere and a majority of them will never enter the job market with just a A+. They'll likely have to get additional certifications (Network +) and they'll all work locally, not overseas.

I'm the only one with any desire to work overseas (that I know of) and frankly this is the mindset of most Americans. What I have to do is match the qualifications of the average EU applicant.

Based on things I have seen, I just have to move up the experience and certification scale and learn additional task like using Virtual Machines. I am going to purchase a Windows Home Server for myself and maybe build another one for Windows Server 2011 and Ubuntu Server. Once I gain some experience likely working locally for min pay, I will then use that to apply overseas with companies like DHL for example.

Anyway just my .02
Free
Freshman Poster

Post by Free »

ladislav wrote:I guess the main reasons are:
1) Too expensive
(this one too):
Think Different wrote: Western European girls are really spoiled with the generous social net, a comfy life with great food and great culture.
Considering the strong theme of this forum is about meeting women, I would say #3 is a strong factor.
Many of the decent women are taken, there is strong male competition (in other words, you're just some other guy, vs sticking out in a good way in SEA, parts of latin america for example), ratios may even be somewhat skewed towards higher numbers of males, you also have the typical Western clique-like aspects of social life - things of this nature.
When contemplating these factors, it makes sense why this section is quiet.

Why live in a place, a place that is otherwise quite nice, but the catch is, you go hungry most times. All those other nice aspects, well, they're just not really worth it then - what sane male would want to remain in a place, no matter how nice, and not have women.
The popular saying rings true: "better to be a happy guy in a tent on the beach with a nice lady vs alone in a mansion." (or some form of that saying).

:roll:
Iawesome60
Freshman Poster

Post by Iawesome60 »

If those factors are true, time to cross out all of Western Europe countries (except for Spain and Portugal). If those difficulties exist in those respective countries, Spain and Portugal are crossed out of my list.

I'm very glad that this topic came up.
There aren't many attractive women (inside and outside) in America. A man wants a physically attractive woman with attractive personality traits. American women usually don't have that combination.

Ever since I found Winston's website and read the information on there, my life has been much easier and I've been a MUCH more happier person!

No matter how good she looks, some other guy is sick and tired of putting up with her crap. ~Author Unknown (Quote about women)
Free
Freshman Poster

Post by Free »

Of course we all have our own individual paths. You may go to Spain or Portugal and despite the heavy competition from other males, attractive, confident, outgoing, strong, employed, with money, cars, etc., if you are simply meant to be there, it could happen in the first week, by some higher force alignment, right place, right time. So I'm never one to discourage anyone else.
Some foreign guys do actually have things work out fine regarding the women department in Western/Southern Europe, but truthfully, they are not so common.
Just saying, seeing how things are mostly, these place are a tough stage for men.
I'd cite a main aspect being fierce competition by other males, and either equal male-female ratios, or excessive males, and as such, most decent females already taken. Just look around, it is so.

Also interesting to note, there's a good handful of local men in these countries that are seeking women elsewhere, either, because they themselves can not hook up (not meaning any fault with them), or they're fed up with the ways of the women.
The negative issues in the U.S. are not just confined to the U.S., although they are quite strong. They can also be found in Western Europe (to include the South in some ways).
You may find as you travel more, it's almost sort of a Western issue - and not just an Anglo-sphere issue.
An Industrialized world issue. Even pockets of latin america, asia even, are troubled by the materialism, selfishness, pride, excess judging, some feminism, etc.

Modern ills of the world. Sure, these things have existed since time memorial, but I'd wager that they seem to exist in stronger magnitude these days. It also would appear more difficult to deal with these negatives as there simply is more clutter in the world these days.

Who knows. :roll:
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I will say Western Men from Europe face many of the same issues we do in the UK, AU and North America.

That said, because of different cultural factors, Europe has a fairly serious aging population problem. This is because they are faced by women with vastly more career opportunities, like in other Western Countries. But this can been going on since WW2 in Europe so you have women reaching higher office in Government but still face a "Glass Ceiling" in the corporate world.

Because of this you have people getting married later because as here, women have too much choice, become overly picky and in effect delaying child birth until their mid to late 30's. Most of the women in Europe that have children and are single, have them from previous relationships, not the result of teen pregnancy like in the US and UK.

Having experienced difficulty in dating in Europe many men opt for SEA or Eastern Europe for a bride. The US based sites don't have many testimonials from EU residents but more international sites like Elena's Models has many testimonials from EU men.

Men do you whatever you have to do, but you won't likely find a woman at home.