Switzerland - A buffet of foreign women!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Switzerland - A buffet of foreign women!

Post by OzGuy »

Ok so a lot of people skip over switzerland as a good place to meet women... Yes the Swiss themselves can be difficult to meet, but what most people don't realise is how many foreigners are living here.
Compared to other European countries, Switzerland has one of the highest foreigner-to-total population ratios: 21.9% in 2005 or 20.4% if we exclude short-term residents and asylum seekers from the calculation. Only Luxemburg and Liechtenstein in the West and Estonia and Latvia in the East have higher ratios. The ratio of foreigners various considerably from region to region with Geneva Canton having the highest ratio (37.8%) and Uri Canton having the lowest (8.5%).
http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/en/i ... intro.html

Since moving here I have met women from all over the world. Women from Russia, Italy, France, Poland, Bulgeria, Netherlands, Norway, Germany, Romania, Hungary, just to name a few! Switzerland is literally a buffet of foreign women from all over the world! They all move here for a chance at the good life. Meeting them is also very easy, because they are also new to the country and looking to meet new people.

Why move to one European country when you can meet foreign women from all over the world in Switzerland? As mentioned, there are 37.8% foreigners in Geneva, while Zurich has about 25%. Switzerland is one of the best places in Europe to live, and also has the lowest unemployment rate of only around 3%.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Aren't they there to meet a Swiss man?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

ladislav wrote:Aren't they there to meet a Swiss man?
Nope, they are there because Switzerland is the wealthiest country in the world... In Switzerland you are paid extremely well with very low taxes.

Not to mention the quality of life here.

- Very low unemployment rate
- Lowest crime rate in the world
- Best public transport in the world (trains literally leave on the second)
- Spectacular scenery
- Alps, snow sports
- Very clean
- Best healthcare in the world (though at a price).
- Very multicultural

I love Switzerland!
fuzzy_corleone
Freshman Poster

Post by fuzzy_corleone »

Is the racism in Switzerland just a myth or what? As a black guy I've always been hesitant to visit Switzerland (but fascinated by the country and how their government functions).

I'm interested in living there and possibly raising my children there since supposedly it has low crime, great education system, and great healthcare. My fascination comes from it's neutrality, as it would be ideal to live in a safe country and not one that goes to war all the time (i.e.: U.S.A.)
Last edited by fuzzy_corleone on January 14th, 2013, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

Pretty much the only crimes in Switzerland are noisy complaints from neighbours... the swiss love their peace and quiet. The swiss are extremely honest, law abiding citizens.

Here's another interesting fact: Switzerland has the highest rate of gun ownership per person in the world (even higher than the US). Yet there are never any shootings here, or crimes involving guns.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

fuzzy_corleone wrote:Is the racism in Switzerland just a myth or what? As a black guy I've always been hesitant to visit Switzerland (but fascinated by the country and how their government functions).

I'm interested in living there and possibly raising my children there since supposedly it has low crime, great education system, and great healthcare. My fascination comes from it's neutrality, as it would be ideal to live in a safe country and not one to go to war all the time (i.e.: U.S.A.)
True, the Swiss can be racist... as they are sick of so many foreigners moving to their small country. However this attitude is mostly prevalent with the older generations. Younger people aren't usually as racist.

As a black guy you'd be best living in Geneva. I hear there are lots of black people (mostly Africans) in Geneva, though I haven't been there myself yet.

I have both Australian and Swiss citizenship, so i'm very lucky as it isn't an easy country to get into.

Yes, neutrality is a great thing.
fuzzy_corleone
Freshman Poster

Post by fuzzy_corleone »

OzGuy wrote:Pretty much the only crimes in Switzerland are noisy complaints from neighbours... the swiss love their peace and quiet. The swiss are extremely honest, law abiding citizens.

Here's another interesting fact: Switzerland has the highest rate of gun ownership per person in the world (even higher than the US). Yet there are never any shootings here, or crimes involving guns.
In regard to gun ownership, I believe you need to serve in the military (for a year?) before being able to own a gun. I actually have a problem with this as the government is forcing you to work for them (forced servitude) which is no different than something like jury duty or slavery. Is the military thing optional?

Also, in regard to property ownership, I've heard that if you want to make renovations to your home then you need your village/community's (basically your neighbors) approval. That seems a bit....unusual is it?
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

fuzzy_corleone wrote:
In regard to gun ownership, I believe you need to serve in the military (for a year?) before being able to own a gun. I actually have a problem with this as the government is forcing you to work (forced servitude) which is no different than something like jury duty. Is the military thing optional?

Also, in regard to property ownership, I've heard that if you want to make renovations to your home then you need your village/community's (basically your neighbors) approval. That seems a bit....unusual is it?
You only need to serve in the military if you are a citizen, this doesn't apply to foreigners. As a Swiss citizen I didn't have to do military service as I moved here when I was over the age of 25. I also agree that military service shouldn't be compulsory. It is only compulsory for men, and not women, which is something that annoys me.

Property ownership? lol I wouldn't worry about that. Very few people own property in Europe, especially not in Switzerland. The vast majority of people here rent, as property is very expensive. But yes you are correct... the outside of your home has to fit in with the rest of the flats in the same block, because they want it looking aesthetically pleasing. You will see why this is the case when you visit some of the Swiss towns... that's what makes them so special.

Like all countries, Switzerland does have its cons, but these are far outweighed by the pro's.

Living in Switzerland is like living in paradise. As some say "If heaven isn't all its cracked up to be, then send me back to Switzerland".
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

fuzzy_corleone wrote:Is the racism in Switzerland just a myth or what? As a black guy I've always been hesitant to visit Switzerland (but fascinated by the country and how their government functions).

I'm interested in living there and possibly raising my children there since supposedly it has low crime, great education system, and great healthcare. My fascination comes from it's neutrality, as it would be ideal to live in a safe country and not one that goes to war all the time (i.e.: U.S.A.)
Of course there is racism there, just as there is in every other country in the world. That should not stop you from going, but Zurich is not the city you want to visit if you are black.

Geneva might be ok, but just because a city is known to have a lot of blacks living there does not mean that is a good place to go for a black person. Sometimes quite the contrary.

A trip to Switzerland should hit several cities so you could decide with language region is right for you (German, French, Italian, or Romansh).
Last edited by Contrarian Expatriate on January 14th, 2013, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobinHood
Freshman Poster

Post by RobinHood »

I am quite sure that if you could get a good job and move to Switzerland the opportunity to date and meet foreign women is high, (as to how easy this is in the current climate is another matter)

If you are going there on holiday and have some "game" then you may well do okay, but lets gets one thing clear - it's very unlikely that these foreign women will be looking to leave Switzerland and its rich lifestyle for anyone less than an Alpha / rich male.

Remember these women are working in one of the richest countries in the world and will be hit upon by guys with money on a daily basis. Working in Switzerland they will understand their market value in the dating world.
Robin Hood.
fuzzy_corleone
Freshman Poster

Post by fuzzy_corleone »

OzGuy wrote:
fuzzy_corleone wrote:
In regard to gun ownership, I believe you need to serve in the military (for a year?) before being able to own a gun. I actually have a problem with this as the government is forcing you to work (forced servitude) which is no different than something like jury duty. Is the military thing optional?

You only need to serve in the military if you are a citizen, this doesn't apply to foreigners. As a Swiss citizen I didn't have to do military service as I moved here when I was over the age of 25. I also agree that military service shouldn't be compulsory. It is only compulsory for men, and not women, which is something that annoys me.

Property ownership? lol I wouldn't worry about that. Very few people own property in Europe, especially not in Switzerland. The vast majority of people here rent, as property is very expensive. But yes you are correct... the outside of your home has to fit in with the rest of the flats in the same block, because they want it looking aesthetically pleasing. You will see why this is the case when you visit some of the Swiss towns... that's what makes them so special.

Like all countries, Switzerland does have its cons, but these are far outweighed by the pro's.

Living in Switzerland is like living in paradise. As some say "If heaven isn't all its cracked up to be, then send me back to Switzerland".
I've heard about that but I guess it's something I should try and get used to. Personally I prefer owning a house than leasing it from someone else. I'd want to make modifications to the property (i.e.: perhaps have solar panels on the roof, etc.) and not worry about the owner kicking me out because he 'doesn't like my face' (I've had friends who were kicked out of a house they were renting for no good reason in the U.S.).

Can't I just build a house in a remote location (i.e.: perhaps up in the mountains away from any community) according to my specifications? I've seen property in Switzerland whose design is inconsistent with 'swiss' architecture.

Are the borders between Switzerland and France open? Can I just driver over to France without the authorities going psycho on me with the assumption that I'm some kind of terrorist? (sorry I've lived in the U.S. for far too long obviously)

Doesn't Switzerland have substantial 'stealth taxes' that eat away your income?
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:

Of course there is racism there, just as there is in every other country in the world. That should not stop you from going, but Zurich is the city you want to visit if you are black.

Geneva might be ok, but just because a city is known to have a lot of blacks living there does not mean that is a good place to go for a black person. Sometimes quite the contrary.

A trip to Switzerland should hit several cities so you could decide with language region is right for you (German, French, Italian, or Romansh).
Well yeah I know there's racism everywhere but I just can't deal with overt racism where people are in your face all the time calling you the 'n' word. Or when your neighbor decides to frame you for murder/rape/robbery because you're the only black guy in the neighborhood (my cousin is currently in prison for simply walking by a crime scene...I kid you not).

I'm a peace-loving, non-confrontational (I've avoided many fights despite being spat on and cursed at) person who just wants to live in peace and quiet.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 25th, 2013, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sfexcellence
Freshman Poster
Location: Body in Vancouver Canada, Mind + Heart + Soul in the World

Post by sfexcellence »

Despite the posters shown above, when I was in Switzerland people were very friendly with me and actually saw me as one the locals, I fit in so well, and otherwise, people were very friendly. My first visit was to Geneve for a day and there were a few women that I met who hit on me, I could've picked one of them up if I hadn't hesitated and gotten myself a girlfriend on the first day! On my second visit for for six days I met a lot of great women, the most classy and elegant women I've ever seen, some of them hit on me, I could've easily picked them up.

Eurobrat, which region of CH were you in? Six days isn't very long, when I was in Geneve I saw lots of people of colour, lots in Geneve and surrounding areas. All of the locals that I met in CH were very friendly towards me, I would tell them that I'm visiting and considering living here, and they would be very friendly about it.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 25th, 2013, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrewww
Freshman Poster

Post by Andrewww »

Sounds boring to me. I guess it's because it reminds me of Canada: clean, neutral, quiet, full of boring people who only live to work and make money. The weather must be crap also.