Wow look how antisocial and gloomy Finland people are!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Winston
Site Admin

Wow look how antisocial and gloomy Finland people are!

Post by Winston »

60 minutes report about Finns by Morley Safer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhxZoV3t61c

Get this. In dance halls of Finland, they have to have signs light up to tell them when it's ok to ask a woman to dance! lol

And no one ever says "I love you" there, even among lovers.
Last edited by Winston on July 18th, 2010, 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

There are loads of young Finns by me. They are nice people, but I have never seen one smile. Very reserved. I thought that was a common trait the further north you go?
Toute connaissance est une réponse à une question. - Gaston Bachelard
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

I wonder if this is true of Sweden as well...
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

The Nordic countries are bad news. I lived in Norway for 2 summers and traveled to Sweden and Denmark. While all different, they are not for me at all.

The uber-feminism is enough to keep me away.
Asp
Freshman Poster

Post by Asp »

Typical Finnish welcomes.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Hmm... I did notice my couple of friends at Jyväskylä all moved out of the country. One guy took an IT job in Saudi Arabia and escaped to Switzerland afterwards. Another is now in Germany or Belgium. hehehe.

This brings back a lot of memories. Back then I was um... shipping a lot of "used" stuff to EU to help my friends dodge VAT, and they hosted the EU mirror of anime web turnpike at jyu.fi, along with my Group Hooseki web site.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

They're doing that, because those are all Google "spy" cams that they don't appreciate driving around. I'd probably do the same thing. Did you see the picture of the person in Scotland that put on a horse head, when the Google van drove by?

Typical Finnish Joke: Two Finnish guys go into the same bar day after day, following work and proceed to drink beer after beer. After a week of silence, the one Finn says to the other Finn "how's it going". The other says nothing, and they continue to drink their beers in silence. This goes on week after week, with the first Finn asking the other one "how's it going", and getting no reply. Finally, after a month, the first Finn again asks, "how's it going", and the second Finn, exasperated, blurts out "so, are you here to drink, or to chat!?".

Da dum, dum....!

Here are some other Finnish jokes:

http://secure.hospitalityclub.org/hc/fo ... geId=49771

My favorite on that page is this: Q: How can you tell if a Finnish girl has an orgasm? A: She drops her nail file!
dano
Freshman Poster

Post by dano »

I remember that finnish guy a couple of years ago that flipped out in college and killed his classmates.
Heres the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QzXnE840T8
Asp
Freshman Poster

Post by Asp »

Well I'm a bit obsessed with Street View pictures and see hundreds of them that people sent in on galleries of Street View pics online, as well as a few in my own searches. The middle finger or V-sign sort of responses are in the minority in most places, and not the "standard" Street View response as people would like to think. But Scotland?? Scotland is a place where I can tell you for a fact, that I have seen far, far more pics of people reacting in a positive way, with waves, thumbs up, etc., than with offensive gestures which seem to occur in greater proportion in some countries than others. I know that especially as I live there.

But there's one country where I have seen offensive gestures ONLY, out of all the gestures there, and the country's Finland.

I have seen the picture with the horse head. That was really funny, and quite an Internet sensation.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Anime fans from Finland

Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

The thing is that you are all viewing Finland from the outside. It is true that it is a difficult country to make close friends in, but if you have Finnish relatives or are married to a Finn and are part of a family's inner circle, then it can be good. Finns are much less serious and much more talkative behind closed doors with their families. I know because I have Finnish family members. Finns are just quiet in public (when sober).