What's wrong with Romania?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Jackal wrote:
Nick wrote:Sorry, Jackal I have to contradict you. Your post about Transilvania/Hungary is the most authentic action of disinformation I ever seen in my entire life.

About Transilvania what can I say, there is no hate/frictions between Romanians and Hungarians. Greater Hungary never existed as a state, the map you posted there it’s a Utopia land. Transilvania just like, Hungary, Slovakia…. etc were PART OF THE THE AUSTRIAN EMPIRE which was transformed into the Austro-Hungarian Empire a compromise that Austrians made for various reasons, somewhere in the middle of 19th century. Greater Hungary is an idiocy OMG who wants the recreation of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in Europe in 21th Century? Maybe some d*ckheads. It’s like questioning the result of the American Civil War, was it right or wrong? No, it was wrong let’s do it once again! Your post is not a lesson of history but a lesson of disinformation.
I don't doubt that your viewpoint helps you make friends with Romanians! ;) You can call the map I posted all the names you want, but the fact remains that it is a tremendously important symbol to modern Hungarians, some of whom even wear necklaces of that map! There is no historical event more lamented by modern Hungarians than the Treaty of Trianon. For example, Hungarians hardly ever mention a thing about WWII, but they endlessly talk about Trianon!

Who wants a recreation of those borders? Many modern Hungarians--that's who! Some of them don't even flinch at the thought of war (which I don't think is good, but it just shows how long European countries hold grudges...).

And Hungary previously controlled most of that territory in the early Middle Ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of ... iddle_Ages

The main point is that there is still a Hungarian-speaking minority in Transylvania who do not feel that they have all the rights that they should have. Perhaps most Romanians could care less about these issues, but they are extremely important to Hungarians. The Hungarians who live in Transylvania have a culture which is distinct from the Romanians who live there.

But anyway, I'm glad that you enjoy your life in Romania.
Interesting stuff.

Perhaps you have heard of Timisoara? I wonder where it falls on the ethnic map? I had guessed it was Hungarian, but perhaps Saxon (German)?

Certainly, with no kings (e.g. Hapsburgs) to command loyalty, even small nationality groups should get full sovereignty. Transylvania, Prstina, others. No reason to create ethnic friction by drawing unnatural borders.

I remember reports of fifty Pentecostal Christians of Hungarian ancestry who were machine-gunned in Timisoara while joining hands and singing in public in 1989. Reportedly, outrage over their murder fueled protests against Ceausescu, who was soon overthrown and executed.

I remember this report clearly but can find no mention on the internet.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Jester wrote: Interesting stuff.

Perhaps you have heard of Timisoara? I wonder where it falls on the ethnic map? I had guessed it was Hungarian, but perhaps Saxon (German)?

Certainly, with no kings (e.g. Hapsburgs) to command loyalty, even small nationality groups should get full sovereignty. Transylvania, Prstina, others. No reason to create ethnic friction by drawing unnatural borders.

I remember reports of fifty Pentecostal Christians of Hungarian ancestry who were machine-gunned in Timisoara while joining hands and singing in public in 1989. Reportedly, outrage over their murder fueled protests against Ceausescu, who was soon overthrown and executed.

I remember this report clearly but can find no mention on the internet.
Timisoara used to be part of the Kingdom of Hungary in the middle ages, but it is east of the historical region of Transylvania (where most of the Hungarians in Romania live). Timisoara is in Timis county.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transylvan ... _divisions

According to wikipedia, only about 7% of the people in Timisoara are Hungarian. I've never been there.

An interesting quote from wikipedia:
"The Ukrainian community is currently growing, partly due to the presence of Ukrainian language educational facilities. In recent years, local investment by Italian companies has spurred the creation of an Italian community,[5] even leading to calls for an Italian Cultural Center.[6]

Since 1990, Timișoara saw a slight population decline owing to migration and a drop in birthrates. Notably, the Hungarian and German communities experienced significant decline, with the latter being reduced by half between 1992 and 2002.[7]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timi%C8%99oara
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

One thing I can say about Romania which is fact and not opinion is that the average salary in Romania is half of what it is in Hungary, even though the prices of items are about the same.
So I would recommend having some outside source of income if you live in Romania because most salaries there are extremely low, even by Eastern European standards.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Whats wrong with a Threesome in Romania?

Post by Jester »

Mr Average wrote:....I very rarely see it mentioned on this site but most of the Romanian women on foreign dating sites are generally the hottest.....

Ash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPUvI--kl0
designer
Freshman Poster

Post by designer »

I got used and had my heart destroyed in Romania. She treated me very badly, lied and broke me down to almost nothing. I will never forget my experience there. Sadly what happened to me ruined me with eastern european women forever. I simply can not trust women from post Soviet countries. The corruption and liars I met were great in number and the level of superficiality rivaled even Los Angeles. All that matters there is money and how you can provide not just the female but her entire family with it. I got scammed and it still hurts to this day. It is hard to imagine how someone can be so skillful in lying. I never went there with an attitude that I was the big westerner to save her. I treated this person as an equal human being. But I paid the price for it. I will never forget Romania and what happened to me there. Will never forget how horrible it was and what I saw.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

I got used and had my heart destroyed in Romania. She treated me very badly, lied and broke me down to almost nothing. I will never forget my experience there. Sadly what happened to me ruined me with eastern european women forever. I simply can not trust women from post Soviet countries. The corruption and liars I met were great in number and the level of superficiality rivaled even Los Angeles. All that matters there is money and how you can provide not just the female but her entire family with it. I got scammed and it still hurts to this day. It is hard to imagine how someone can be so skillful in lying. I never went there with an attitude that I was the big westerner to save her. I treated this person as an equal human being. But I paid the price for it. I will never forget Romania and what happened to me there. Will never forget how horrible it was and what I saw.
Well, this website is against this phrase, but I will say it: "It's your own fault". Should I list how many times American girls scam men? I know one Russian guy in the U.S., he is always trying to impress girls with how much cash he has to spend. That's a huge flaw, he hiding his insecurity or weakness by flashing money.

I dated girls from Moldova, it is almost the same as Romania. Beautiful, down-to-Earth, simple girls. I understand their mentality very well, since it close to mine and we both speak Russian.

People are scammed everywhere everyday. Do you expect to find a country where all women are angels and only tell you the truth? It ain't happening. Maybe because I understand the culture it is easier for me, but gold-diggers can be used as well, just tell them you are rich, get laid and dump them. They even expect that anyway, since many men did it to them already.

In other words, if you don't want to be scammed for money, then you have to offer something else to these women (or to proper women, since you have to look for the proper ones). I can offer my character, my charisma, my way of thinking, my care, understanding, love, emotion etc. I know how to be a man those women used to see growing up in their country. Don't assume every woman that goes your way is genuine just because she is foreign!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

designer wrote:I got used and had my heart destroyed in Romania. She treated me very badly, lied and broke me down to almost nothing. I will never forget my experience there. Sadly what happened to me ruined me with eastern european women forever. I simply can not trust women from post Soviet countries. The corruption and liars I met were great in number and the level of superficiality rivaled even Los Angeles. All that matters there is money and how you can provide not just the female but her entire family with it. I got scammed and it still hurts to this day. It is hard to imagine how someone can be so skillful in lying. I never went there with an attitude that I was the big westerner to save her. I treated this person as an equal human being. But I paid the price for it. I will never forget Romania and what happened to me there. Will never forget how horrible it was and what I saw.
That's terrible, and I imagine that such a thing is doubly disturbing when you're in a country which you haven't been in very long. However, this is only one woman out of the thousands of women in Romania. Romania is quite a big country (travelling through it by bus or train takes FOREVER!) with very different regions and different ethnic groups.

Travelling to any country carries some risks. How much time did you spend in Romania? Somehow I feel that the shorter your trip, the more likely you are to get scammed because you know the least about the country.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

designer wrote:I got used and had my heart destroyed in Romania. She treated me very badly, lied and broke me down to almost nothing. I will never forget my experience there. Sadly what happened to me ruined me with eastern european women forever. I simply can not trust women from post Soviet countries. The corruption and liars ...
Romanian people are not Slavic people, and their language is similar to Italian/Latin. Romania was always quite independent and not really what I consider a post-Soviet country. The reputation of Romania was and is really bad not only among the Slavic people, but also in Central Europe. A lot of criminality/brutality is going on there and despite poverty Romanian women are not known to be much into international marriage.

To travel around in Romania is OK, I recommend to drive your own car, preferably during summer time, but winter time is also nice with plenty of snow. Some rural places are really beautiful, scenic. I do not remember any problems regarding food, hotels, fuel etc. and it was really cheap there. Car should be locked in a garage during night, all inside must be removed, if parking outside somewhere a few hours expect burglary or car theft.

Romania is not like Bulgaria or Serbia, people are quite different. I do not know even one person who is married with a Romanian woman. I got the feeling, not so welcome for a personal relationship, and of course a lot of scam going on in this country.

Again, just my opinion, Romania is only good for some nice vacation, no visa required, however too poor for living there as a foreigner, even not for retirement, very low salaries, plenty of criminals, do not expect real friendship with these people, better look out in Slavic countries, for example nearby Bulgaria (this is not my favorite either, but still much better than Romania).
Last edited by Yohan on July 30th, 2014, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Haven't been to Romania, just wanted to share that I knew an Armenian guy in California who had a wife from Romania. She was fluent in English, and worked at the same office where he and I worked. But she had also become fluent - FLUENT - in ARMENIAN, in order to be a good wife and mother to his children. She had already given him one child (his mother babysat till 5pm). She was very demure, very loyal, and very pretty, nice but never flirtatious.

Had a blonde Slavic look, with a Slavic nose, not the Italian look I saw in a couple of other Romanians I used to know.

The guy was young, enthusiastic, hard worker, not a ladies man type.

I thought he had a real catch.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Winston
Site Admin

Re: What's wrong with Romania?

Post by Winston »

This is a great thread. Lots of great info about Romania and Transylvania.

@Yohan why do you need a car in Romania? To explore the countryside? Doesn't it have a good public transportation system? You aren't supposed to need a car in Europe. What about buses?

Can you go to Transylvania using public transportation only? How much are taxis? Do they go by meter?

How long can you stay in Romania as a tourist?

Btw did you guys know that Romania sided with the Nazis during WW2? I wonder why they didn't get punished for that. So the USSR didn't occupy Romania? Why not? Wouldn't the USSR take all the eastern European countries that it could get? Especially since the US allowed it, perhaps as part of some secret deal. Why wouldn't it take Romania too?

Besides, I heard that New York was always the real capital of Communism, not Moscow.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
foster17
Freshman Poster

Post by foster17 »

of course the hottest)
IvanMNG
Freshman Poster

Post by IvanMNG »

Yes, Romanian women are not Slavic women but the baseline rules still apply:
  • Be chivalrous
    Always lead
    Never lose frame
    Never apologize
    Always pay
    Show appreciation for her culture
    Have enough money to at least be perceived as a good catch
    Dress well
    No stupid jokes
All of this should go without saying.

I've heard nothing but good things about Romania. But also that it's pretty tough and very hard for your run-of-the-mill traveler to infiltrate and meet quality girls. It's Eastern enough to be tribal but not as conservative as actually conservative countries like Turkey, Georgia etc.

Looking forward to hitting up Bucharest this summer.
aaandrew
Freshman Poster

Post by aaandrew »

Does anyone have advice on living in Romania full time? For someone self-employed and can live anywhere, is it a good place to put down roots? I think I want to call Eastern Europe home but don't know which country is the right fit and don't want to be a sucker who just believes some internet articles.