US Job Situation vs. Teaching ESL Abroad

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

The thing I could never understand is this:

Teaching English overseas = only thing you can do.

It is not true. Freelancing is probably your best options if you have skills people are looking for. I am a writer, so I have like 8 freelancing jobs. I am applying to another 30 writing jobs this week. This is just from a list of places I got from a friend. I haven't even gone on Craigslist or the other sites I have. Freelancing is a different beast. So many options you can choose from. It doesn't have to be writing.

I vowed to never teach English and I am not. I knew there was another solution. I am glad I found freelance writing. Best decision I ever made. I get to work at home, work when I want, make my own schedule and get this WORK ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. I live with friends so I don't even pay rent. You know how much money I am saving up? It is incredible. Being a freelancer costs you nothing. Only drawback of freelancing is self-employment tax, but that is easily done with an IRS website that allows you to pay the tax like a bill monthly. Further than that, freelancing is amazing.

I want to do so much stuff in the future like write my own novels (ebook format), create a blog with my rants I like to do, etc. You just have time to do things like this. I don't think you can do that with teaching English. I don't know how teaching English works, but clue me in on what you do. ..

This is just my opinion though. I don't want men or women on here to think that teaching English is the only thing you can do overseas and it is far from the truth.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Re: US Job Situation vs. Teaching ESL Abroad

Post by Think Different »

Jackal wrote:
Think Different wrote:Since I moved here with my wife and son, we're pretty much permanent, which appealed to them (lowers their risk level).

How does your wife feel about being back in Italy?

She seems to be much happier in some ways, but is still the workaholic/non-Italian in other ways. Don't think that will change.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Phoenix Sosa wrote:The thing I could never understand is this:

It is not true. Freelancing is probably your best options if you have skills people are looking for. I am a writer, so I have like 8 freelancing jobs. I am applying to another 30 writing jobs this week. This is just from a list of places I got from a friend. I haven't even gone on Craigslist or the other sites I have. Freelancing is a different beast. So many options you can choose from. It doesn't have to be writing.

I vowed to never teach English and I am not. I knew there was another solution. I am glad I found freelance writing. Best decision I ever made. I get to work at home, work when I want, make my own schedule and get this WORK ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. I live with friends so I don't even pay rent. You know how much money I am saving up? It is incredible. Being a freelancer costs you nothing. Only drawback of freelancing is self-employment tax, but that is easily done with an IRS website that allows you to pay the tax like a bill monthly. Further than that, freelancing is amazing.

I want to do so much stuff in the future like write my own novels (ebook format), create a blog with my rants I like to do, etc. You just have time to do things like this. I don't think you can do that with teaching English. I don't know how teaching English works, but clue me in on what you do. ..

This is just my opinion though. I don't want men or women on here to think that teaching English is the only thing you can do overseas and it is far from the truth.
So what sites have the best freelance writing gigs? That hasn't been mentioned on this site as of yet...

Which IRS website is that?

Can you compile a list of all places one can apply to various freelancing gigs?
Last edited by Mr S on June 28th, 2011, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

The story that inspired to take the plunge and just do it, was of a guy who sold all he had and with only $2K in his pocket moved to the Philippines. With no computer even, he started freelance writing for as little as $0.02 per word, yes two cents per word, from internet cafes, and he was able to build his dream life, with marriage, children, eventually his own computer, motorcycle, house etc.

I also don't teach English. I don't like the image of English teachers here in China and would never want to be cast in with their lot. From what I remember of Globetrotter's writing, though, he worked so few hours per week that he easily had time enough to write novels, blogs, travel or do anything else he so desired. That's one thing I miss. In Phils, every second was mine to do with as I pleased. (except when the water tank needed filling at 4:00 AM)

Freelancing has been written about on this site before, and the best sites for it have been mentioned more than once.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

The_Adventurer wrote:

The story that inspired to take the plunge and just do it, was of a guy who sold all he had and with only $2K in his pocket moved to the Philippines. With no computer even, he started freelance writing for as little as $0.02 per word, yes two cents per word, from internet cafes, and he was able to build his dream life, with marriage, children, eventually his own computer, motorcycle, house etc.

I also don't teach English. I don't like the image of English teachers here in China and would never want to be cast in with their lot. From what I remember of Globetrotter's writing, though, he worked so few hours per week that he easily had time enough to write novels, blogs, travel or do anything else he so desired. That's one thing I miss. In Phils, every second was mine to do with as I pleased. (except when the water tank needed filling at 4:00 AM)

Freelancing has been written about on this site before, and the best sites for it have been mentioned more than once.
It's not a prevalent topic and has not been mentioned as much as you claim. Yes, I remember it being mentioned before but it has since been buried with some other topics. Also the only sights mentioned were a few of the big ones, not an in depth list.

There needs to be a separate discussion post that specifically outlines how to go about doing freelance writing and a list of all available websites that one can visit and apply to. I don't believe that has been done before. There is plenty of info on how to become a teacher overseas, but less so on how to become an independent freelance writer or some similar gig.

The only info is within short posts here and there in other posting, which makes it difficult to sort through and find.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.