I changed my language focus

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I changed my language focus

Post by Yohan »

yick wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 9:19 pm
Spencer wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 9:47 am
Wow lingist expertman so fascinating so you stay china long time and have study china writ china speak so how is china langage is it same like alien speak and do you know how speak wiseton use only china talk for speak
@Winston when are you banning this useless cunt?
This crazy guy - spencer - is really an annoyance, ruining every thread in this forum,
and still he continues? Despite warnings and despite another PAG sockpuppet was finally banned?

I don't understand why this sad indiviual is still allowed to log-in and not banned yet, and this after 692 useless drivel comments!
Gali
Junior Poster

Post by Gali »

Yohan wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 11:55 pm
yick wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 9:19 pm
Spencer wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 9:47 am
Wow lingist expertman so fascinating so you stay china long time and have study china writ china speak so how is china langage is it same like alien speak and do you know how speak wiseton use only china talk for speak
@Winston when are you banning this useless cunt?
This crazy guy - spencer - is really an annoyance, ruining every thread in this forum,
and still he continues? Despite warnings and despite another PAG sockpuppet was finally banned?

I don't understand why this sad indiviual is still allowed to log-in and not banned yet, and this after 692 useless drivel comments!
It is not hard to understand. It is your dear leader.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Learning a new language takes quite a bit of effort. If I were you, @Tsar, I would focus on a language that can be useful to your life, and I mean a potential profession as well as social/romantic life.

After English, remaining with European language, I think Spanish is the most useful to learn. 460 million people speak it as their first language, compared to 360 million native English speakers. In terms of native speaking population, it's the second most spoken in the world, after Mandarin.

I think it would also be the best choice in terms of usefulness/difficulty of learning ratio.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

publicduende wrote:
October 11th, 2021, 12:25 am
Learning a new language takes quite a bit of effort. If I were you, @Tsar, I would focus on a language that can be useful to your life, and I mean a potential profession as well as social/romantic life.

After English, remaining with European language, I think Spanish is the most useful to learn. 460 million people speak it as their first language, compared to 360 million native English speakers. In terms of native speaking population, it's the second most spoken in the world, after Mandarin.

I think it would also be the best choice in terms of usefulness/difficulty of learning ratio.
Spanish would be useful but it's not as popular outside of the Spanish speaking world.

For love, I'm probably either never being able to get a girl and I refuse to settle for a girl that isn't unattractive. I think the only place I would want to live permanently is Europe. I don't think I could live anywhere else in the world and be able to tolerate the living conditions unless I had a lot more money to get a really nice place.

I think German would be the most useful language for me if I want to live and work in the European Union. Germany, Austria, and Switzerland in the EEA all have German.

The only girls I really like most often are in the Central and East Europe and then beautiful Asian girls with delicate noses like Harbin Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and some Vietnamese girls suit me best with Asian girls. Kyrgyz and other Central Asian Turkic girls are nice. When I go to Europe this time around, I am staying in Europe.

There's too much variation in girls in the Americas and I have a preference for body shapes and body types.

Being able to get love is probably the most impossible thing for me in life. I'm likely never going to be able to get a girl ever. I wasn't able to get any beautiful girl to hold a conversation or even start one and I tried many different times on many different websites.

I'm sort of done even seriously trying with love. I'm too broke to do socializing and I don't get anyone IRL who ever was really outgoing and approached me for friendship.

At my age, I'm probably too old to learn how to get a girl to desire me and the sort of girls I want are getting more impossible to get the more time goes on so it's probably not even worth it for me to even bother trying to get a girl anymore. I'm not even sure most people would want to even get to know me since no one ever really wanted to be my friend when I lived in America, and I haven't the best social skills either. That's why my life is depressing.

If I was born in a nation in the EU, I would probably have a better life, a better degree because money wouldn't have been an issue for people born in Europe, and people are higher quality in Europe and Asia. Americans and Anglos are most often hateful, mean, distant, and don't like anyone that doesn't boost their own social status in their group. America is also paranoid about always talking about how dangerous everywhere is including outside people's own homes, and everyone in America is suspicious of everyone else, and people can't go anywhere without a car in America making it so anyone born in America is by default most socially isolated and then the national government of America isolates Americans from the world by not teaching them a language.

Russian is mainly something I want to learn for girls

Italian is something I want to learn for life in Italy

Croatian is useful for Croatia and Bosnia

German is the most useful for overall employment options in Europe with Germany, Austria, and Switzerland using German as a national language.
There are always many job postings in the Netherlands but I would probably always be too broke to ever go there without a job lined up before I went, and then, I wouldn't actually want to live in Western Europe for all my life.

Slovenia is one of the safest nations in the world and it is likely peaceful.

None of them have overlap. It's either girls or employment. The countries with the most professional opportunities don't have girls that will be virgins or even give most guys a chance. The nations with better quality girls don't have professional opportunities. And I would need to get a new degree in Europe to even be employable.

There's really nowhere else in the world that I would want to live except somewhere in Europe.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Gali
Junior Poster

Post by Gali »

Btw Britain is desperate for Truck drivers
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Tsar should first focus on general area where he wants to live, then find the cheapest country (since he is living on a pension rather than working), then learn that language. Since he says Europe, and he has European passport, that suggests southeast Europe: Bulgaria, Macedonia, Romania, Moldova, Serbia, Bosnia, etc. Of these, Bulgaria and Romania have average height men, whereas men are very tall in Serbia and Bosnia especially. So Bulgaria or Romania probably best choice. Not particularly difficult languages.

Portugal, southern Spain and southern Italy are also cheap, and languages are easier than Bulgarian/Romanian.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Shemp wrote:
October 11th, 2021, 2:08 am
Tsar should first focus on general area where he wants to live, then find the cheapest country (since he is living on a pension rather than working), then learn that language. Since he says Europe, and he has European passport, that suggests southeast Europe: Bulgaria, Macedonia, Romania, Moldova, Serbia, Bosnia, etc. Of these, Bulgaria and Romania have average height men, whereas men are very tall in Serbia and Bosnia especially. So Bulgaria or Romania probably best choice. Not particularly difficult languages.

Portugal, southern Spain and southern Italy are also cheap, and languages are easier than Bulgarian/Romanian.
I might try Romania in the future but I already tried Bulgaria. It's too difficult to get anything from outside the EU and I never learned how to actually get mail. Also, it's not really possible to open bank accounts in Bulgaria anymore.

I am thinking of the West Balkans like Slovenia, Croatia, or Bosnia for now until I learn German then try to get something in a German speaking nation to pay into a good pension system.

My height is average for southeast Asian men. I rarely saw any men even in Bulgaria shorter than me if they were high school age and older. Most girls anywhere in Europe will be equal or taller than me. If the average height for men is 5'10" them I am about 4 inches below average.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

yick wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 6:29 am
MrMan wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 5:59 am
yick wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 7:36 pm
MrMan wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 10:09 am
yick wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 7:17 am

Very few Latin words came into English directly from Latin itself, whatever Latin was learned and entered into the language in England (later the UK) was via church services - the Catholic Church had their services in Latin until the 1960's.

Latin is still taught in the public (translation, private) school system and in institutions such as Eton, Harrow etc and is regarded as one of the 'classics' but most Latin influenced words that are in English are French words and they feature heavily in legal vocabulary as it was the Normans (who spoke French) who wrote up the Magna Carta and help shape English common law - in French.

Some scientific and religious words came in through Latin rather than coming in through French. Since English dictionaries contain thousands of lesser-used technical words, I disagree with your assertion. The 'Anglish' video in the post that followed your post estimated Latin as the source for 29% of the vocabulary of the English language. Look at 26 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIo-17SIkws
But those 'scientific' words aren't English - they're loan words from Latin. Monocotyledoneae isn't an English word derived from Latin, no-one would claim it to be and that's all there is to it so you can disagree with it all you like.

But if we take the word 'accuse' in English, the word in French is 'accuser' which is derived from the Latin word 'adcuso'. 'Accuse' is an English word derived from French (with the French word derived from Latin).

If we go back to Latin loan words in English, we wouldn't use Pancratium maritimum for Sea Daffodil, nobody would - the vast majority (as in 99% of people) would use 'sea daffodil.

Obviously, it makes sense that most English words come from French - you know that the English language doesn't have that long a tradition in the British Isles? It predates French in Britain by a few hundred years - English did not exist when the Romans ruled England and Wales, English did exist when the Normans ruled England and Wales.
I did not sit down and read all the words in English that came from Latin. There are lexicographers, linguists and such who study such things. You can also look through dictionaries that have etymology. I looked up three or four words really quickly trying to find something that derived from Latin without going through French. I got two:

intelligent
distract

I am sure there are many more. If the lexicographers say 29% came from Latin, not French, I'd imagine there are many words that are not species names.
Any linguist worth their salt (and it is my university major so know a bit about this...) would never say many English words come directly from Latin - many Latin (and Greek) terms and words regards science (especially in the field of biology) are actually loan words. I thought you were talking about Latin-derived words and then you started talking about loan words which obviously aren't the same thing.

The French for 'intelligent' is 'intelligent' :lol:

The French for 'distract' is 'distraire'

If you wanted to pick middle-English words that exist in modern English you could use a fair few - sea, cry, most body parts (arm, head, feet etc), field, flag etc - you aren't going to find many words that have derived straight from Latin... why would you - when the Romans occupied England, the English language didn't exist, the local population spoke their own Celtic languages such as Cornish, Manx, Welsh, Cumbric etc.
https://www.eupedia.com/europe/words_wi ... lish.shtml
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

MrMan wrote:
October 11th, 2021, 1:48 pm
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:

Some scientific and religious words came in through Latin rather than coming in through French. Since English dictionaries contain thousands of lesser-used technical words, I disagree with your assertion. The 'Anglish' video in the post that followed your post estimated Latin as the source for 29% of the vocabulary of the English language. Look at 26 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIo-17SIkws
But those 'scientific' words aren't English - they're loan words from Latin. Monocotyledoneae isn't an English word derived from Latin, no-one would claim it to be and that's all there is to it so you can disagree with it all you like.

But if we take the word 'accuse' in English, the word in French is 'accuser' which is derived from the Latin word 'adcuso'. 'Accuse' is an English word derived from French (with the French word derived from Latin).

If we go back to Latin loan words in English, we wouldn't use Pancratium maritimum for Sea Daffodil, nobody would - the vast majority (as in 99% of people) would use 'sea daffodil.

Obviously, it makes sense that most English words come from French - you know that the English language doesn't have that long a tradition in the British Isles? It predates French in Britain by a few hundred years - English did not exist when the Romans ruled England and Wales, English did exist when the Normans ruled England and Wales.
I did not sit down and read all the words in English that came from Latin. There are lexicographers, linguists and such who study such things. You can also look through dictionaries that have etymology. I looked up three or four words really quickly trying to find something that derived from Latin without going through French. I got two:

intelligent
distract

I am sure there are many more. If the lexicographers say 29% came from Latin, not French, I'd imagine there are many words that are not species names.
Any linguist worth their salt (and it is my university major so know a bit about this...) would never say many English words come directly from Latin - many Latin (and Greek) terms and words regards science (especially in the field of biology) are actually loan words. I thought you were talking about Latin-derived words and then you started talking about loan words which obviously aren't the same thing.

If you wanted to pick middle-English words that exist in modern English you could use a fair few - sea, cry, most body parts (arm, head, feet etc), field, flag etc - you aren't going to find many words that have derived straight from Latin... why would you - when the Romans occupied England, the English language didn't exist, the local population spoke their own Celtic languages such as Cornish, Manx, Welsh, Cumbric etc.
Nice discovry mr man and so intresting so maybe yick mistake latin words in english since link proving direct latin use modern anglish places
"Close mind genus more dangrous than 10,000 dumwits" - Spencer

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

"Wiseton is a very dynamic individual, what most would call a genius. He's started a movement, and only genius types can do such a thing." - Boycottamericanwomen
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Spencer, I told you before to start writing in normal English. Can you do that please? There's no reason not to. Please. Ok? The misspellings are unnecessary.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

MrMan wrote:
October 11th, 2021, 1:48 pm
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:

intelligent
distract

About 100 English words have a direct link from Latin - not the best link to prove your point.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Yick,

I have studied Linguistics, too, and one of my degrees is in it, but I took other classes and not History of the English Language. I haven't sat down and studied all the etymologies into English from Latin, and whether they came into English from French. I usually look up a quick reference if I am interested. The one I looked up for 'intelligent' said it came from Latin and did not show it coming in from French. If you can show it came in through French and care to do so, knock yourself out.

I would expect most of the loan words came in through French unless they are religious or academic words. Monks, priests, and later scientists wrote in Latin. The educated class wrote various treatises in Latin. It was the language of academia throughout Europe for a time. One of the German-speaking kings of England communicated with his prime minister in Latin. I can look up charts of specifics. I'm not going to sit around counting words or verifying etymologies.

Btw, I did not count the words at that one link, but if the words are commonly used, 100 words is pretty significant. Not all of those were that commonly used, but some were.

Of course, in the 11th century, the Norman French-speaking William the Conqueror conquered England and used French as the language of the court and it collided with the Anglo-Saxon of the day resulting eventually in Middle English.

Those who want to focus on this area can look up the first references to the words in English literature to determine where they came from, study Old French, etc.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

I didn't find Indonesian significantly easier than the other languages, although I didn't put much effort into it. Like any new language, it all sounds very strange at first and it's hard to pick words out. Then those words are quite hard to remember. The pronunciation isn't a piece of cake but the Indonesians will meet you halfway if you make a stumbling attempt. I've heard the French will refuse to understand you if your pron and grammar are not on point...the Chinese are a bit like this too. Even if your Mandarin is decent some individuals don't want to understand you. In Taiwan, this isn't such a problem.
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

MrMan wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 6:41 pm
Yick,

I have studied Linguistics, too, and one of my degrees is in it, but I took other classes and not History of the English Language.

One of your degrees is linguistics but cannot differentiate a loan word from a derivative word? OK then :lol:
I haven't sat down and studied all the etymologies into English from Latin, and whether they came into English from French. I usually look up a quick reference if I am interested. The one I looked up for 'intelligent' said it came from Latin and did not show it coming in from French. If you can show it came in through French and care to do so, knock yourself out.
You're the one who was arguing the point that 'many' English words came directly from Latin - they didn't and you're wrong and now we all know you never studied the history of the English language you have learned something new.

The word 'intelligent' has it's roots in Latin but the word in English came via French (which came from the Latin word 'intellegens') - it didn't directly come from Latin - there is no way it could have came directly from Latin into English because when Latin speaking cultures (The Romans) ruled the British Isles the English language didn't exist! The French ruled England for 500 years and legal and the language of aristocracy was in French (or Anglo-Norman which was a dialect of French). The Magna Carta was in French.

I would expect most of the loan words came in through French unless they are religious or academic words. Monks, priests, and later scientists wrote in Latin. The educated class wrote various treatises in Latin. It was the language of academia throughout Europe for a time. One of the German-speaking kings of England communicated with his prime minister in Latin. I can look up charts of specifics. I'm not going to sit around counting words or verifying etymologies.
Religious, some academic and scientific words are direct loan words from Latin, yes - you will find some loan words that came directly from Latin but the vast amount of loan words and derivatives come from French - the ruling classes of England for over 500 years were French speaking. Those French words - a lot of them are derivatives of Latin. That's the link but it isn't a direct link from Latin - what you said was incorrect and then to argue it - at least you have reeled back from your original statement so that's something.
Btw, I did not count the words at that one link, but if the words are commonly used, 100 words is pretty significant. Not all of those were that commonly used, but some were.
100 words isn't 'significant' at all when an educated persons vocabulary is between 17-20000 words.
Of course, in the 11th century, the Norman French-speaking William the Conqueror conquered England and used French as the language of the court and it collided with the Anglo-Saxon of the day resulting eventually in Middle English.

Those who want to focus on this area can look up the first references to the words in English literature to determine where they came from, study Old French, etc.
The earliest forms of the English language didn't precede French by all that much within the British Isles - probably 500 years, the earliest forms of English was as alien to the British Isles as French and Latin is. The native tongues of Britain are the Brythonic language group which exists today as Welsh (with Cornish and Manx making a revival, Cumbric is all but a dead language).
Gali
Junior Poster

Post by Gali »

@Yick,
Content
Physical format
Numerous copies, known as exemplifications, were made of the various charters, and many of them still survive.[258] The documents were written in heavily abbreviated medieval Latin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta