Take Back Your Time Movement

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

RedDog wrote: Bella, you hit the nail on the head. IMHO America is good for two types of people: 1) those who are young, healthy, energetic, well-educated, and/or well-connected. 2) the masochist
America is good for:
* Poor immigrants looking to improve their socioeconomic condition (better paying jobs than rice farmer)
* Immigrants from more competitive societies looking for a more relaxed atmosphere
* Getting an education from name brand university (lots of female foreign exchange students)
* Americans going abroad and leveraging their socioeconomic superiority for gains in their sexual market value (i.e. PH)
* Great diversity in large immigration demographic areas (girls & food from variety of countries)
* Generally polite people who won't double park next to your car, spit in pubic, or cut queues.
etc.

America is not good for:
* Mediocre customer service (not "bad", just mediocre) & mediocre shopping experience/opportunity in most cities, generally inferior quality goods at cheap prices. Americans are too cheap to pay European prices for good pair of shoes.
* People who stress out easily and cannot function by the clock (we're anal about being on-time)
* People who are inclined to bash their heads against a brick wall (Hey stupid, walk around the wall! Stop playing chess and learn how to play Go!)
* Lack of better light rail public transportation in most cities, suburban "anti-rail" and NIMBY mentality
* Lack of clearly defined (or ritualized) transition point to adulthood (i.e. military service), where boys put away their toys and assume the role of a man , get married, have children, etc. Many of our men are like overgrown adolescents.
* Lack of decent apprenticeship system. Our culinary schools are diploma mills cranking out mediocre chefs in 6 months. Home builders like KB Homes produce sh*tty quality houses with low-skilled craftsmen/carpenters who can't even cut drywall in a straight line. Where's the Amish when you need them? ;p
etc.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

momopi wrote:
RedDog wrote: Bella, you hit the nail on the head. IMHO America is good for two types of people: 1) those who are young, healthy, energetic, well-educated, and/or well-connected. 2) the masochist
America is good for:
* Poor immigrants looking to improve their socioeconomic condition (better paying jobs than rice farmer)
* Immigrants from more competitive societies looking for a more relaxed atmosphere
* Getting an education from name brand university (lots of female foreign exchange students)
* Americans going abroad and leveraging their socioeconomic superiority for gains in their sexual market value (i.e. PH)
* Great diversity in large immigration demographic areas (girls & food from variety of countries)
* Generally polite people who won't double park next to your car, spit in pubic, or cut queues.
etc.

America is not good for:
* Mediocre customer service (not "bad", just mediocre) & mediocre shopping experience/opportunity in most cities, generally inferior quality goods at cheap prices. Americans are too cheap to pay European prices for good pair of shoes.
* People who stress out easily and cannot function by the clock (we're anal about being on-time)
* People who are inclined to bash their heads against a brick wall (Hey stupid, walk around the wall! Stop playing chess and learn how to play Go!)
* Lack of better light rail public transportation in most cities, suburban "anti-rail" and NIMBY mentality
* Lack of clearly defined (or ritualized) transition point to adulthood (i.e. military service), where boys put away their toys and assume the role of a man , get married, have children, etc. Many of our men are like overgrown adolescents.
* Lack of decent apprenticeship system. Our culinary schools are diploma mills cranking out mediocre chefs in 6 months. Home builders like KB Homes produce sh*tty quality houses with low-skilled craftsmen/carpenters who can't even cut drywall in a straight line. Where's the Amish when you need them? ;p
etc.
You're right, Momopi, I was too harsh.

From my perspective having been raised middle/upper middle class and having become yet another statistic of crappy economy, I'm particularly bitter towards the US system nowadays. For those coming from a truly 3rd world experience with no prospects for a decent future I can see how America is a beacon of hope and opportunity, even today. However, I am also well traveled enough to know that in America not all that glitters is gold, and that this isn't a "one-size-fits-all" country. I just don't fit in and never really have, despite really trying hard to do so. I know that there are other countries these days with better opportunities for those who want more balance in their life (my goal is not to get rich), and are looking for more stability. The US has become far too dog-eat-dog for my liking.