Massive US Bank Run + Investment Strategies

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Massive US Bank Run + Investment Strategies

Post by Taco »

Here's proof that a US bank run is currently underway. I'll be closing my account this week.

Massive US Bank Run
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-2 ... pport.html
jboy
Freshman Poster

Re: Massive US Bank Run

Post by jboy »

Taco wrote:Here's proof that a US bank run is currently underway. I'll be closing my account this week.

Massive US Bank Run

The banking and finance background guys of HA will piss at you for saying something like this (again).
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Not gonna lie, my stomach sunk when I read that.

Obama wins a second term. Germany repatriates its gold. Now this. Very scary.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

jboy wrote:
Taco wrote:Here's proof that a US bank run is currently underway. I'll be closing my account this week.

Massive US Bank Run

The banking and finance background guys of HA will piss at you for saying something like this (again).
Yeah, but Taco is usually right on in the type of articles that he posts. I get flack, too, for posting similar financial news, but I don't care, since I want to wake the sheeple up. It's better to get the truth out there then be a blind sheep.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

I don't know when exactly or what will set it off or what portion of the economy will be hit, but I fully expect another 2008 before the decade is up.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

zboy1 wrote:
jboy wrote:

Massive US Bank Run

Yeah, but Taco is usually right on in the type of articles that he posts. I get flack, too, for posting similar financial news, but I don't care, since I want to wake the sheeple up. It's better to get the truth out there then be a blind sheep.
Thanks for your support zboy1. Its true, I haven't made many friends here. Just remember, the truth is always inflammatory.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

This is nothing to worry about. The stock market is up almost 10% this year which tells me individual small investors are transferring money from the banks to the stock market due to low bank interest rates.

I have been transferring money out of the country into high interest CDs; more should do the same. The stock market has far more risk and institutional investors can wipe out all these recent gains in the blink of an eye.

But I see this as a positive development that can be cured by the Federal Reserve increasing bank interest rates to the point where people will have an incentive to keep their money there.

A run on the banks would be people hoarding cash, not transferring into other asset classes. We are not there yet.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:This is nothing to worry about. The stock market is up almost 10% this year which tells me individual small investors are transferring money from the banks to the stock market due to low bank interest rates.

I have been transferring money out of the country into high interest CDs; more should do the same. The stock market has far more risk and institutional investors can wipe out all these recent gains in the blink of an eye.

But I see this as a positive development that can be cured by the Federal Reserve increasing bank interest rates to the point where people will have an incentive to keep their money there.

A run on the banks would be people hoarding cash, not transferring into other asset classes. We are not there yet.
Please help:

viewtopic.php?t=17480
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:This is nothing to worry about. The stock market is up almost 10% this year which tells me individual small investors are transferring money from the banks to the stock market due to low bank interest rates.
The S&P 500, Dow Jones and Nasdaq are not economic indicators, thats why the mainstream media always mentions them on the news, its very misleading.
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Post by Rocky Top »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote: I have been transferring money out of the country into high interest CDs; more should do the same.
Out of the country? You are able to buy CDs from other banks overseas?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

zboy1 wrote:

Yeah, but Taco is usually right on in the type of articles that he posts.
Go through the predictions he's posted and compare them to the real events which transpired subsequently. I would say the facts suggest he has always been wrong so far.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Rocky Top wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote: I have been transferring money out of the country into high interest CDs; more should do the same.
Out of the country? You are able to buy CDs from other banks overseas?
Well of course!

http://www.deposits.org/
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote:
zboy1 wrote: Yeah, but Taco is usually right on in the type of articles that he posts.
Go through the predictions he's posted and compare them to the real events which transpired subsequently. I would say the facts suggest he has always been wrong so far.

This depends on how he defines "massive bank run" or "market crash" versus how you'd define the same words.

One could also ask that if he has such low confidence in US, why didn't he close his account earlier.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote:
Rock wrote:
zboy1 wrote: Yeah, but Taco is usually right on in the type of articles that he posts.

This depends on how he defines "massive bank run" or "market crash" versus how you'd define the same words.

One could also ask that if he has such low confidence in US, why didn't he close his account earlier.
1. A collapse in the US$ means at least the US$ index declines - degree of such decline being the qualitative factor but most would expect nothing less than a 20%++ fall from recent peak if the word collapse is used. If it goes up, range trades, or stays flat, who with even an ounce of common sense would call that a collapse?

2. A market crash means at least the markets in question decline - degree of such decline being qualitative factor but most would expect nothing less than a 20%++ fall from recent peak if the word collapse is used.. If they go up, range trade, or stay flat, same question as above.

Taco's posts were also suggesting we hoard water and head for the hills before the end of 2011, lol. Too many clowns pretend like they can time market movements, bubble bursts, collapse of the US$ or world, etc.

Some people play it like this - they go on record calling for crash, market decline, etc. each and every year till finally, wala, it happens. I could have done this say starting from 2002 and if I had continued for 7 years, I would finally hit the big one (end of 2008 into 2009). Then I would probably look like a genius to some if I had been vocal and public enough. The previous years would be conveniently swept under the rug.

BTW, I still remember your very erroneous and poorly timed 'overvalue call' on gold, bahahahaha!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote: Some people play it like this - they go on record calling for crash, market decline, etc. each and every year till finally, wala, it happens. I could have done this say starting from 2002 and if I had continued for 7 years, I would finally hit the big one (end of 2008 into 2009). Then I would probably look like a genius to some if I had been vocal and public enough. The previous years would be conveniently swept under the rug.

BTW, I still remember your very erroneous and poorly timed 'overvalue call' on gold, bahahahaha!

As previously mentioned, I value gold based on extraction cost, and RE on rental income.

I work in the mining & energy extraction industry. When I see my clients laying people off, I'll look into buying.