Cheapest Countries to Live on Earth

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Jester wrote:
zacb wrote:Bolivia is close, but Paraguay tops. I imagine in some areas it varies city by city, so look for special situations. For Africa, probably Zimbabwe or places near the horn of Africa. Philippines, India, Thailand, Russia (outside Moscow),Bangladesh, some of the stans (not Pakistan thought), are the best of Asia. Eastern Euro countries, and Germany for Europe (especially Berlin). Most of the Mideast is inexpensive Syria( although cost of transporting things may be a problem.), Iraq, Omen, not sure about the others (UAE and Saudi Arabia are expensive). Guatemala and Mexico are inexpensive in some areas, but with Guatemala you may need to serve in their military, and their individual tax rate (7 percent) may not be there forever. I have thought about Guatemala and Paraguay hard. You could also check numbeo.com .
Good info, Zac - thanks.

I thot the flat no-deductions tax rate for individual proprietors in Guatemala was 5% of gross income, not 7%.

Syria is an interesting idea for folks interested in the Middle East. Lots of Christians, but cheaper than Lebanon, and without spoiled princesses. It's definitely on my short list to find an exportable bride or two.
I wouldn't go to Syria now if someone paid me a million bucks. Seriously...no way. After everything calms down, no problem. But not now.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Jim Rogers suggests Myanmar and Angola.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti ... 07447.html
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

fschmidt wrote:Jim Rogers suggests Myanmar and Angola.

Both are very interesting, but the obvious choice for investments (real estate) are already jacked high. On Jim Roger's , in his book Adventure Capitalist, he mentioned how even the border guard told him to tell other investors about Angola :shock: . Imagine Western border agents pleading for investment XD .

Syria would be interesting, but I am not quite sure if going in right now would be the brightest idea, especially since the bombing is not done yet. When there is a peace agreement. and assuming Damascus does not get annihilated like it says in the Book of Daniel, then I think it may be the best place for opportunity (low income tax, needs rebuild like the US after the Civil War and Europe after WWII) .
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

fschmidt wrote:Jim Rogers suggests Myanmar and Angola.

I see Uruguay made his list, too.

On Ethiopia:
I found this vid a while back, when looking for something else.
Jump in at 0:30 (audio is not english, so mute it and enjoy the interesting scenery)

Singapore: Jim Rogers is based there.

Thailand: Marc Faber is based there.

не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

Overall India is very very cheap-- perhaps some other place is cheaper, but it's pretty darn reasonable.

i've heard that Lagos, Nigeria is actually very expensive. Lots of really poor countries aren't necessarily cheaper, it's a big paradox. Again overall India is soo cheap that i have a hard time believing a place could be considerably cheaper.

Examples:

Dorm beds as low as $1.05
All you can eat meals as low as $1.00

Went out for breakfast- 4 people, bill came out to 65 cents!!

Train ticket was 14 cents. I changed my mind to take the bus instead, didn't even bother to wait in line to get a refund on the train ticket (local, about 20 minutes).

Your own hotel room just 10 minute walk from the main drag in Bangalore-- (one of the top 3 cities in India), just $4.50

Split a room with someone else pay just $2-3.

Pay $13 for a meal, and you are getting high luxury in an upscale setting.

Mosquito repellent, just 20 cents (decent sized tube).

Of course, lots of imported stuff and other things are more expensive. But i remember agonizing over 7 dollars-- as that was a lot of money and a big ripoff!!

Met some westerners (especially Israelis) living VERY cheaply-- and bargaining hard for everything.

Parts of SE Asia and China can also be very cheap-- with better sanitation and cleaner areas than in India.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

zacb wrote:
Not sure about Laos, but you can live in Southern Philippines for 500 a month, and that area is growing quite fast.
What do you mean "growing?" Are you involved in the arms trade? http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/493599/day ... nant-diesv
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I was referring to Davao City.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
Jester wrote:
Syria is an interesting idea for folks interested in the Middle East. Lots of Christians, but cheaper than Lebanon, and without spoiled princesses. It's definitely on my short list to find an exportable bride or two.
I wouldn't go to Syria now if someone paid me a million bucks. Seriously...no way. After everything calms down, no problem. But not now.
:?: :!: :?: :!:

You would go to CONGO but not SYRIA??
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

No Need To Worry About EndTimes Claptrap

Post by Jester »

zacb wrote:
Syria would be interesting, but I am not quite sure if going in right now would be the brightest idea, especially since the bombing is not done yet. When there is a peace agreement. and assuming Damascus does not get annihilated like it says in the Book of Daniel, then I think it may be the best place for opportunity (low income tax, needs rebuild like the US after the Civil War and Europe after WWII) .
Daniel's prophecies have generally been fulfilled.

Fanatical proto-Zionist Calvinists like Cromwell censored the Bible, cutting out books like Maccabees that they found inconvenient. Hence your confusion. You need to read a Catholic Bible, period. Then you'll see: first comes Daniel... then later comes Maccabees. Prophecy fulfilled. History DOES "repeat itself", but prophecy is fulfilled just once.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=393797

i would say google antiochus epiphanus antichrist. then when the screen pops up, daniel 8- antiochus and anti-christ. they agree that antiochus fufilled daniels prophecy about this. and also pointed to a future ruler like this. this would answere your questions much better than i could. but no it was not intellectual laziness on my part. apparently there are others who see the same thing, who are much more educated and studied up on the subject than myself. i think you may find it an interesting read. especially since what ive seen on amazing facts completely skips over antiochus when attempting to prove their end times views. they talk about alexander the persians etc. but for some reason skip this one man who perfectly fufilled the vision.
Protestant Christian Gary deMar argues forcefully that the destruction of Damascus took place EVEN EARLIER, at the hands of the (notoriously cruel) Assyrians.

http://americanvision.org/9371/isaiah-1 ... fQ6b8.dpbs

So sleep well. Most Bible prophecy has been fulfilled already. Except for Jesus's Second Coming. And that's a GOOD thing.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

zacb wrote:
Syria would be interesting, but I am not quite sure if going in right now would be the brightest idea, especially since the bombing is not done yet. When there is a peace agreement. ... then I think it may be the best place for opportunity (low income tax, needs rebuild like the US after the Civil War and Europe after WWII) .
+1

Is this your idea or Jim Rogers'?

(I can't listen to video - a glitch with my laptop's sound)

PS Everything you said plus lots of SUBMISSIVE Christian women!
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Both Jim Rogers and Marc Faber are in SEA. Only Rogers is married to a woman I believe 20 years his junior and has kids.

I imagine Faber is banging very expensive Thai and Russian women, he certainly can afford it.

I would call the countries mentioned prime and its not always about cost.

Its much cheaper to live out in the middle of nowhere in America or Canada but you don't see many trying that but certain types and I think you know what I am talking about.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Teal Lantern wrote:
On Ethiopia:

....Jump in at 0:30 (audio is not english, so mute it and enjoy the interesting scenery)

:shock:

Thanks for posting!! I really had no idea. Thought they were bright and upright people in a backward African country - a place to take a bride but not to live.

Seems my view is out of date.
Teal Lantern wrote:
I found this vid a while back, when looking for something else.
Miss Ethiopia swimsuit competition? :wink:
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Jester wrote:
zacb wrote:
Syria would be interesting, but I am not quite sure if going in right now would be the brightest idea, especially since the bombing is not done yet. When there is a peace agreement. ... then I think it may be the best place for opportunity (low income tax, needs rebuild like the US after the Civil War and Europe after WWII) .
+1

Mine XD . I just took it from Doug Casey's ideas of speculating in down countries. I was looking around, and it seems like the only property I could find was a tad pricey. Myanmar was kinda the same. Many of these up and coming countries property markets are kinda expensive. I found one or two markets I think may be decent, but they don't have the macro factors. I will say however that for startups, Macedonia would seem like the best place for that. Matter of fact, if I ever get a steady practice, I might consider starting a business over there. But alas, I am still in school, and still learning programming ( I am stuck on one program that is really stumping me, makes me kinda mad). On That subject, what type of programmer are you Jester? I think you mentioned that before, but I am not for sure if you said that. Thanks
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

zacb wrote:
Jester wrote:
zacb wrote:
+1

Mine XD . I just took it from Doug Casey's ideas of speculating in down countries. I was looking around, and it seems like the only property I could find was a tad pricey. Myanmar was kinda the same. Many of these up and coming countries property markets are kinda expensive. I found one or two markets I think may be decent, but they don't have the macro factors. I will say however that for startups, Macedonia would seem like the best place for that. Matter of fact, if I ever get a steady practice, I might consider starting a business over there. But alas, I am still in school, and still learning programming ( I am stuck on one program that is really stumping me, makes me kinda mad). On That subject, what type of programmer are you Jester? I think you mentioned that before, but I am not for sure if you said that. Thanks
In reverse order:

(3) Basic, FORTRAN, and COBOL. Ancient stuff.

(2) I'm curious -- Why would Macedonia beat, say, Montenegro or Serbia or Slovenia or Czech Republic for startups?

(1) Yes I've noticed that third-worlders aren't stupid and don't just give their land away. I remember reading about a guy looking for land in Nicaragua. He found the landowners asking prices equal to Costa Rica. He was pissed off. He felt that their backward country should offer a sizable discount. OTOH the Nica landowners apparetnly felt that there is only so much land in the world, and theirs is as good as anyone else's.

Plus there is so little turnover in some of these countries. Families stay put.

Plus the lack of roads and utilities restricts supply.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Cheapest/Expensive cities to live for expats

Post by Zambales »

Windhoek is the cheapest which I think is in Namibia. Most expensive is Hong Kong.

http://www.consultancy.uk/news/12259/th ... es-to-live

Blog about cheap destinations for 2016.

http://www.cheapestdestinationsblog.com ... orld-2016/