Google CEO on job automation

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Google CEO on job automation

Post by Cornfed »

He predicts that 90% of current jobs will be automated in the coming years and that this will be good for everyone. Theoretically he is right, but unfortunately most people seem to have their heads up their asses about the situation and be wedded to the peculiar obsolete idea of exchanging hateful drudgery for access to resources.

http://hackread.com/google-ceo-robots-w ... -our-jobs/
drealm
Junior Poster

Re: Google CEO on job automation

Post by drealm »

I use to think this way but after working in Silicon Valley I now know that all these novel technology companies are just marketing fronts with a few coders to give the appearance of creating something real. There's a massive amount of stupidity concentrated in this small valley. The most important skill here is create the illusion that you're making something new and innovative. This is done by creating something that doesn't work and no one knows how to use.

As an example just last week my google email account stopped working for no reason at all. We're in 2014, email should be a perfected technology by now.

A few weeks prior to that I bought a top of the line Apple desktop and the keyboard wouldn't even connect to it. How hard is it to code a keyboard to connect to a tower? This is circa 1960's technology.

So in general I think the opposite will happen. When you look at all these initiatives like getting 8 year olds to code, getting women to code, getting low iq ghetto morons to code we're really just accelerating the degradation of code. With each idiot that is added to coding sphere, the efficiency drops a % because good coders now need to re-use codes from idiots. You end up with more and more code that doesn't work or it just requires an extremely high level of maintenance so nothing new can be produced.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

drealm wrote:So in general I think the opposite will happen. When you look at all these initiatives like getting 8 year olds to code, getting women to code, getting low iq ghetto morons to code we're really just accelerating the degradation of code. With each idiot that is added to coding sphere, the efficiency drops a % because good coders now need to re-use codes from idiots. You end up with more and more code that doesn't work or it just requires an extremely high level of maintenance so nothing new can be produced.
The automation happening is being driven not so much by technological innovation but by 1980s technology that is being made cost effective by increasing processing power. However, I suppose it is possible that modern cultural disintegration will thwart even that given a chance.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

drealm wrote:I use to think this way but after working in Silicon Valley I now know that all these novel technology companies are just marketing fronts with a few coders to give the appearance of creating something real. There's a massive amount of stupidity concentrated in this small valley. The most important skill here is create the illusion that you're making something new and innovative. This is done by creating something that doesn't work and no one knows how to use.

As an example just last week my google email account stopped working for no reason at all. We're in 2014, email should be a perfected technology by now.

A few weeks prior to that I bought a top of the line Apple desktop and the keyboard wouldn't even connect to it. How hard is it to code a keyboard to connect to a tower? This is circa 1960's technology.

So in general I think the opposite will happen. When you look at all these initiatives like getting 8 year olds to code, getting women to code, getting low iq ghetto morons to code we're really just accelerating the degradation of code. With each idiot that is added to coding sphere, the efficiency drops a % because good coders now need to re-use codes from idiots. You end up with more and more code that doesn't work or it just requires an extremely high level of maintenance so nothing new can be produced.
It seems as technology gets more advanced more inefficiency is tolerated/encouraged. For example, I ran an SNES emulator on a 128 or 166mhz Pentium 1 with 32 megs of RAM at full speed on Windows 98. I was quite surprised that my Android phone with a 528mhz processor (3x as fast) and 256 megs of RAM (8 times more) could not run the same emulator at even 50% speed. It's kind of ridiculous that this type of thing happens. Everything needs a quad core 2-3ghz processor to do basically the same things you were doing on the computer 10 years ago.

I also hate this with web design as well. HTML5 and Flash for EVERYTHING. People laugh at old geocities sites or whatever, and yes some people made shitty websites, but I'd much rather have a site designed like this: http://www.healthy-life.narod.ru/wor_ek.htm Where everything is simple texts, links and pictures, and is very cleanly designed compared to a modern website. Also frames are great.

Nothing's really actually getting better on the internet, there's been an exponential increase in processing power, internet speeds, and storage capacity, but fundamentally nothing's really different. Youtube vs realplayer? People say realplayer was shitty or whatever, but you bet it'd have been awesome as hell if everyone had broadband and terabytes of storage space and bandwith. People have all these wonderful new concepts that really are just old concepts with more money thrown at them. How is Xbox Live any different than Seganet for Dreamcast?

Anyway, as far as the original topic, I don't think you can really convince people of this, even if automation could replace everything. In our modern age, without even fancy technology like robots, but just things like having timed spray nozzles to water your plants or something, severely cuts the amount people would have to work to maintain a certain lifestyle. A man on his own property growing all of his own food spent a total of 3 hours a day working for his food. Compared to many people I know (my sister and her boyfriend with part time min wage jobs who spend all their money eating out) he spends less working hours for his food.

But just like the computing example, maybe there's an innate tendency in humans to live right near or above our means rather than vastly below even if it'd mean an easy existence. This is why you hear pro athletes/CEOs with 10 million dollar a year salaries talking about how they struggle to feed their families and things like that because they buy mansions and Ferraris. Why they don't take a few million dollars, buy an average sized house, an average car, and then live as an average person never working again, I don't know.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 1st, 2020, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Interesting because according to the Georgia Guide Stones they want a population of 500 million and that would work well with a 90% reduction in current jobs. People do not realize our masters are way ahead of us on predicting the future, all you have to do is watch an old episode of the original Star Trek :mrgreen: .

Actually I do not want to be negative but a 90% reduction in people to meet this model would be a blessing for the future of people who want to live in a modern society with breathtaking technologies, the good technologies developed are thwarted and locked away from prying eyes so to keep humanity under the thumb of our rulers. All you have to do is research the Genpax water car to realize this. They want a industrial collapse of modern society for the masses so they can maintain control and blame free and open markets as well as depopulate so don't be surprised if a lot of new technologies do not work as advertised.

Competition makes progress but controlling stocks in all the worlds corporations are owned by the same people to give the illusion you have a choice and as George Carlin stated you don't! and they got us by the balls.

Most of the new technologies of the last 5 or 10 years seem more like a distraction than moving forward but there are a lot of techs being created we are not being told about.
Time to Hide!