Worldwide Cost of Living Maps

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Worldwide Cost of Living Maps

Post by Rocky Top »

Looks like Macedonia and Colombia are cheaper than Philippines and Thailand.

The Cost of Living Around the World

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Worldwide Cost of Living Maps

Post by droid »

I disagree with the colombia thing, I'm down here and things can be bloody expensive, you really have to look around for savings, malls are untouchable.
Prices are generally about 70% of what you pay in the states, but sometimes they can be 30-100% more expensive. For example a pair of shoes that would cost you U$35-50 in the states will set you back $50-$100 here.

Also don't be surprised if a semi-fancy restaurant bill runs you $25-30, yet people pay as if nothing.
However you can look around for home-style places which serve for $2-5

I didn't study all the charts above in detail but it seems they don't account for local salaries. It may be cheap for some of us coming from the chump-zone but I don't know how some of the locals do it with $20 a day. Having said that, all mall and stores and restaurants are always PACKED, as there is some kind of financial boom/bubble IMO. As a side note, this seems to have affected chix attitudes unfortunately, as they now "wear prada" if I can put it that way.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

yeah sounds like philippines droid. Its not cheaper to live overseas if you want the same exact lifestyle. In fact you can never have the same lifestyle in the 3rd world no matter what kind of phony bubble you immerse yourself in cause you still have to step outside once in awhile. You can get a better lifestyle and security in america for the same price. anyone who says otherwise is a complete idiot.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

You're too extreme. I'm saying it is cheaper in absolute terms, probably 0.7 overall, but not cheap to the extent the charts claim.
Again, this is cheap for us, but for locals on the low end of the spectrum most everything is prohibitive. That's where it sucks, if someone wants to expat here but without the savings or a medium-high skill set it will suck of course. Like I've stated on another thread, it would be a tradeoff between that and the chance to build some social life for those guys.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

droid wrote:You're too extreme. I'm saying it is cheaper in absolute terms, probably 0.7 overall, but not cheap to the extent the charts claim.
Again, this is cheap for us, but for locals on the low end of the spectrum most everything is prohibitive. That's where it sucks, if someone wants to expat here but without the savings or a medium-high skill set it will suck of course. Like I've stated on another thread, it would be a tradeoff between that and the chance to build some social life for those guys.
Im not talking san francisco bay area or something. But even rural california lifestyle is better than a poorer country lifestyle anywhere cause its america in the end. So thats why i always say its cheaper cause we have to compare similiar lifestyles in every way. A rural california life is still better than a gated community life in a poor country.

add in yearly plane flights (most people living abroad will be flying in and out to visit family etc) and visa and your costs might be similiar or even exceed what it would be in america if your comparing rural california or something similiar.