How do you file your taxes online if you're abroad? To get the government stimulus check?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

How do you file your taxes online if you're abroad? To get the government stimulus check?

Post by Winston »

Dear Everyone,
I heard that if you wanna collect the $1200 check from the US government this year to compensate for the Coronavirus, you gotta file your taxes.

How do you do that from abroad? What's the easiest way? Do you go to the IRS website and do it? Or use Turbo Tax? Or do it on the H&R Block website, like Mr. S told me he did? What's the easiest way?

Also, how do you receive the government check by direct deposit rather than by a check in the mail?

@Contrarian Expatriate how do you usually file your taxes? What website do you use?

Thanks everyone.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How do you file taxes online if you're abroad? What's the best way?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Winston wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 7:40 am
Dear Everyone,
I heard that if you wanna collect the $1200 check from the US government this year to compensate for the Coronavirus, you gotta file your taxes.

How do you do that from abroad? What's the easiest way? Do you go to the IRS website and do it? Or use Turbo Tax? Or do it on the H&R Block website, like Mr. S told me he did? What's the easiest way?

Also, how do you receive the government check by direct deposit rather than by a check in the mail?

@Contrarian Expatriate how do you usually file your taxes? What website do you use?

Thanks everyone.
I file mine in the USA. It is one of the reasons for my yearly trip back here.

In the past, I filed from abroad thru H and R Block back when I had access to all my tax documents online.

Also, my accountant told me that relief checks will be based on 2018 returns if you have not yet filed 2019. It will be sent to you electronically if the IRS has your bank information. If not, or if you are a not a required filer, register for the check payment on the IRS website.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Why do people use H&R Block? Is it easier to file your taxes on there? Easier than the IRS website? IRS forms tend to be overly wordy and hard to read. I hate that. Which is best? Is using H&R Block free?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

I filed using Turbotax both last year and this using the web browser on my smartphone, without problems due to the small screen. My return is currently very simple: 1040, schedules B and D, form 1116 (tax credit for income from foreign stocks), plus estimated taxes each year paid automatically through EFTPS. If my income soars due to capital gains, I might eventually get hit again with the AMT. If so, hopefully Turbotax will automatically handle that for me, as it did in the past.

I think I paid $49 for Turbotax, and well worth it because of hassle savings. If you don't have stock/bond investments or other complexities, should be possible to find free filing methods for just 1040A.

Some expats complain that Turbotax doesn't support form 8621, shareholder passive foreign investment company or qualified electing fund, but that is uncommon. Only if investing in mutual funds incorporated and operating completely outside the USA. Should not a problem with ETFs bought on USA-based brokerage platform, other than maybe those Sprott gold and silver ETF trusts in taxable account.

$1200 refund doesn't apply if AGI above $100k.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: How do you file your taxes online if you're abroad? To get the government relief check?

Post by Winston »

Btw another question. I heard you also get $500 per child from the government relief check. The thing is, my son has a US passport but not a US SSN. I was told he didn't need a SSN unless he was looking for work in the US so I never got him one. Plus conspiracy people say the government uses your SSN to tag you as a resource. Can I claim my son as a dependent and get the $500 for him if he doesn't have a SSN? If not, can I apply a SSN for him online on the Social Security Website? Or only at the Social Security Office in the US Embassy in Manila?

Winston
Site Admin

Re: How do you file your taxes online if you're abroad? To get the government relief check?

Post by Winston »

Some information on the economic stimulus checks and how to get yours.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/ ... ow-to.aspx

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

If freefillable forms is still up, you can do that. But I read they use 2018 tax info if you haven't filed for this year.

Whose got theirs?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Winston wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 8:09 am
Why do people use H&R Block? Is it easier to file your taxes on there? Easier than the IRS website? IRS forms tend to be overly wordy and hard to read. I hate that. Which is best? Is using H&R Block free?
In my particular case, I have a particularly complex return with several different schedules involving tricky depreciation and a handful of confusing K-1 forms to incorporate. In addition, I use a master tax preparer who is more up to date than many CPAs on tax law. Also, H&R Block has a nationwide database that automatically carries over remaining deductions and write offs from previous years that I was not able to use previously.

If you have a simple return, it is better to do it yourself or file it online if you can. But H&R Block offers a measure of protection against audits and they represent you if you do get audited. My returns have been considered high-risk for audit, but I have not yet been so lucky because they do a great job.

One thing to keep in mind, I would never suggest having some random preparer from H&R Block do your taxes. I thoroughly vetted my preparer and chose him because of his bona fides and many years of experience.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Easy. have your accountant file them for you. Send him all your statements and have him complete them, then electronically sign them. You can do it that way from across town or around the world. You could probably do the whole thing yourself from anywhere online too.
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 7:31 pm
One thing to keep in mind, I would never suggest having some random preparer from H&R Block do your taxes. I thoroughly vetted my preparer and chose him because of his bona fides and many years of experience.
I've used the same accountant for over 20 years. He knows what he's doing. Yes, get someone smart.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Good news. Even if you didn't file your taxes last year or this year, and are not required to file any, you can still file to receive your government stimulus check at the IRS link below. According to this site:

If you didn't file a 2018 or 2019 tax return, here's what you need to do ASAP

It's important to note that if you didn't have to file a 2018 or 2019 tax return and are worried about not getting a stimulus payment, you don't need to wait until the Get My Payment tool becomes available. The IRS launched a non-filers portal last week to allow people who typically don't need to file a tax return to submit their bank information so they can receive a stimulus payment.

Finally, Social Security beneficiaries for the most part don't need to do anything to receive a stimulus payment. With a few exceptions -- such as SS beneficiaries with children or new beneficiaries in 2020 -- Social Security recipients will automatically receive their stimulus payments in the same manner in which their Social Security benefits are paid out.
The IRS portal link they provided to submit your information to receive the stimulus check is here:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-fil ... -info-here

Note that this is only if you were not required to file any taxes for this year or last. If you are, then you gotta file it first.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: How do you file your taxes online if you're abroad? To get the government stimulus check?

Post by Winston »

Some useful IRS links about getting your stimulus checks.

If you were not required to file taxes for this year or last, use this page to file for your stimulus checks:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-fil ... -info-here

To check on the status of your payment:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

If you're not sure whether you need to file taxes this year or not, use this guide to see if you are required according to the criteria:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need- ... tax-return

FAQ page about the stimulus checks and the criteria to see if you are eligible for it:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economi ... ion-center

Guide on how to get your stimulus check payment:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/how-to-use ... ct-payment

Winston
Site Admin

Re: How do you file your taxes online if you're abroad? To get the government stimulus check?

Post by Winston »

Information from the IRS for expats and Americans living abroad about filing taxes.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... ing-abroad

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... ens-abroad

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

A list of free online tools to file your taxes that the IRS recommends.
Free File: File Your Taxes Online for Free

If your 2019 adjusted gross income was $69,000 or less, you may find one or more Free File Online options for you. Review each company's offer to make sure you qualify for a free federal return. Some companies offer free state tax returns; others may charge a fee.
https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/