Are small businesses still possible?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Huddo
Freshman Poster

Re: Are small businesses still possible?

Post by Huddo »

Absolutely and you don’t need a new idea or online store or even a web site.... I walked 10 meters to my back yard shed this morning. Started up my 1997 Fadal 4020 CNC machine center ($10,000 - $20,000 US) and made $880
for 6 hours “work”.... or just basically sitting on my behind 90% of the time. I subcontract machine cast iron parts that other companies don’t want to take on. It’s computer controlled, so I load a part, watch YouTube for 12 minutes and then un-load the finished part and load another. My expenses = approximately $10 electricity and maybe $5-$10 wear on the cutting tips.
Decu
Freshman Poster

Post by Decu »

I believe that small businesses are much more sustainable in this unstable world than international companies, my opinion.
Decu
Freshman Poster

Post by Decu »

Small businesses are still very much possible in today's economy, despite the challenges posed by increased competition and rapidly changing technology. In fact, many small businesses have found success by identifying unique niche markets and offering personalized services and products. By focusing on providing excellent customer service and utilizing technology to streamline operations, small businesses can compete with larger companies and thrive.

When introducing a new product, one effective strategy to maximize profit is the price skimming approach. Price skimming involves setting a high initial price for a new product, which then gradually decreases over time. This strategy allows the business to recover its development and marketing costs while also taking advantage of early adopter demand. To learn more about this pricing strategy and how to apply it to your business, you can check out the article at https://priceva.com/blog/price-skimming-strategy.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Decu wrote:
February 5th, 2023, 10:58 am
Small businesses are still very much possible in today's economy, despite the challenges posed by increased competition and rapidly changing technology. In fact, many small businesses have found success by identifying unique niche markets and offering personalized services and products. By focusing on providing excellent customer service and utilizing technology to streamline operations, small businesses can compete with larger companies and thrive.

When introducing a new product, one effective strategy to maximize profit is the price skimming approach. Price skimming involves setting a high initial price for a new product, which then gradually decreases over time. This strategy allows the business to recover its development and marketing costs while also taking advantage of early adopter demand. To learn more about this pricing strategy and how to apply it to your business, you can check out the article at https://priceva.com/blog/price-skimming-strategy.
They charge early adopters a high price for new technological items. I remember my wife paid $400 for a whatever megapixel, maybe 5 or 8, a small thin one, probably a bit thicker but smaller overall than a modern cellphone in the early 1990's. A year later they were less than $200, maybe just over $100. As they learn to produce products more cheaply, they reduce prices and hit a price point where a larger percentage of consumers eventually decide to adopt the technology. We see that with iPhones, but they still charge premium pricing.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

In the US, 99.9% of businesses are said to be small businesses, but they generate about 45% of economic activity. (Larger corporations make a lot of money.)

Still, that is a huuuuuuge segment of the economy.
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

Small business is always possible. Of course all the businesses need to adjust to the new digital reality and try to stay on top of it.
With the Microsoft teams operator connect we can manage a large amount of clients requests at the same time and provide an excellent customer service to them at the same time.
Last edited by glanmit on August 1st, 2023, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MrMan wrote:
February 5th, 2023, 4:07 pm
In the US, 99.9% of businesses are said to be small businesses, but they generate about 45% of economic activity. (Larger corporations make a lot of money.)

If you looked into the so-called small business, how many do you think would in fact be unsecured employees of the whorporations? Most YouTubers are at the complete mercy of YouTube for example, so should really be regarded as employees.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Cornfed wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 9:03 am
MrMan wrote:

If you looked into the so-called small business, how many do you think would in fact be unsecured employees of the whorporations? Most YouTubers are at the complete mercy of YouTube for example, so should really be regarded as employees.
Most small business will fail within the first five years despite what you see such as successful people parading around their success with their business. They are either super lucky or they are full of sh*t and are fakers.

Better off investing your money in various ETF funds and stocks and live off of dividends.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 1:22 pm
Cornfed wrote:
MrMan wrote:

Most small business will fail within the first five years despite what you see such as successful people parading around their success with their business. They are either super lucky or they are full of sh*t and are fakers.
Yeah, and there are in-between cases. For example, in NZ I knew a Maori woman who had "her own" security company. Turns out she was helped to set it up by a big corporation to guard their properties because the regulations prevented them from having an in-house security group and they got a grant from the government because she was a Maori woman. I mean, good for her, but really she is middle management by any other name.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Cornfed wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 1:29 pm
July 31st, 2023, 1:22 pm
Cornfed wrote:
MrMan wrote:

Yeah, and there are in-between cases. For example, in NZ I knew a Maori woman who had "her own" security company. Turns out she was helped to set it up by a big corporation to guard their properties because the regulations prevented them from having an in-house security group and they got a grant from the government because she was a Maori woman. I mean, good for her, but really she is middle management by any other name.
Good for her, I guess being Maori allow her to get the affirmative action treatment... just like the blacks in the Jewnited States.
But I don't know if white New Zealanders get affirmative action from the government... probably not.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

July 31st, 2023, 1:33 pm
But I don't know if white New Zealanders get affirmative action from the government... probably not.
Obviously not. The one good thing is that there is at least some resistance to strident anti-white racism, although less strident anti-white racism is of course rampant.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Cornfed wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 1:44 pm
Obviously not. The one good thing is that there is at least some resistance to strident anti-white racism, although less strident anti-white racism is of course rampant.
Same in the United States. Whorporations only wants to hire Coolies, Dark Skins and Whores. Whites and East Asians are left in the dust.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Cornfed wrote:
I asked Chat GPT : "What are the social benefits of living in New Zealand?"

Living in New Zealand comes with numerous social benefits that contribute to its reputation as a desirable place to reside. Some of the key social benefits of living in New Zealand include:

1. Strong Sense of Community: New Zealanders generally have a strong sense of community and a welcoming attitude towards newcomers. This is evident in their friendliness, willingness to help, and active engagement in local events and activities.

2. High Standard of Living: New Zealand consistently ranks high in global quality of life indices, offering access to excellent healthcare, education, and public services. The country's commitment to social welfare and progressive policies contributes to a high standard of living for its residents.

3. Safe and Peaceful Environment: New Zealand is known for its safe and low-crime environment, making it an attractive place for families and individuals seeking a peaceful place to call home.

4. Universal Healthcare: New Zealand provides a publicly funded healthcare system, ensuring that residents have access to medical services and treatments without facing significant financial burdens.

5. Quality Education: The education system in New Zealand is of high quality, offering a wide range of educational opportunities, from primary schools to universities. It focuses on fostering creativity, critical thinking, and practical skills.

6. Cultural Diversity: New Zealand is a multicultural nation with a diverse population, which contributes to a rich tapestry of traditions, languages, and cuisines. This diversity promotes tolerance, understanding, and open-mindedness.

7. Outdoor Lifestyle: New Zealand's breathtaking landscapes, including mountains, beaches, forests, and lakes, encourage an outdoor lifestyle. Residents have ample opportunities for recreational activities, such as hiking, skiing, water sports, and camping.

8. Work-Life Balance: New Zealanders generally value work-life balance, with many companies offering flexible working arrangements and generous leave policies. This allows individuals to have time for their families, hobbies, and personal well-being.

9. Environmental Consciousness: New Zealand has a strong commitment to environmental conservation, with many residents actively involved in sustainability efforts. This focus on environmental protection contributes to a healthier and cleaner living environment.

10. Supportive Social Services: The New Zealand government provides various social services and support programs for those in need, including unemployment benefits, housing assistance, and aid for the elderly and disabled.

11. Access to Recreation and Sports: New Zealand places a significant emphasis on sports and recreation, offering a wide range of sports facilities and clubs. Participating in sports is not only a great way to stay fit but also an excellent means of socializing and forming connections.

12. Laid-back and Friendly Culture: New Zealanders are known for their laid-back and friendly nature, creating a welcoming and inclusive social atmosphere for residents and visitors alike.

Overall, living in New Zealand offers a balanced and socially fulfilling lifestyle, with ample opportunities to connect with others, enjoy nature, and benefit from a supportive society. However, it's essential to consider individual preferences, personal circumstances, and potential challenges when making a decision about relocating to any country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

kangarunner wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 2:03 pm
Cornfed wrote:
I asked Chat GPT : "What are the social benefits of living in New Zealand?" [...]
That's hilarious.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Cornfed wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 2:11 pm
That's hilarious.
Back to NZ you go mate. Carry on then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.