Investing in Containers

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Investing in Containers

Post by MrMan »

Over the years, I have read a bit about investing in shipping containers. I've got a little liquid money sitting around, and will have a little more after the third stimulus (currency dillution/wealth distribution payment) , not enough to invest in a property, and I was thinking of shipping containers as one of a few investments I could put a little money in.

One site offered a number of possibilities, including a stable 12% return. But I have not dug into the details yet. My understanding is that I do not have to store a container behind my house. The shipping company outsources coming up for capital to get containers to private investors.

I'm wondering a little about this, though. If Maersk earns 8 to 12% annually, why would shipping containers have a higher return than that? Investing in a container would beat their returns in other investments, you'd think. Maybe they have limits on how much they can borrow at a reasonable rate for other reasons.

Has anyone here researched shipping containers as investments? Is it possible to get them insured in case they wear out, get crushed, sink into the sea, etc.? I will have to make sure they are fairly liquid, since I may want to buy some property later if I find something worthwhile later in the year. Does anyone know how hard it is to cash them in?

I'm also thinking of a few other investments, a little crypto, lithium mining stocks as a buy and hold investment (because of the revolution we are seeing in battery technology), maybe a REIT. An Indonesian friend has made quite a bit of money with a currency trading robot. My wife thinks he said 10% a month, which would be crazy high if it is true. I will need to investigate that.

I'm expecting there to be some inflation, especially when the locked down states go back to work now that the Dems can try to take credit for it and the economy normalizes a bit, except for all this digital money they doled out.