Setting up a College Aged Kid with a Credit Card

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Setting up a College Aged Kid with a Credit Card

Post by MrMan »

This is probably an 'old man's question for a lot of young folks on here, but some of you may have experience with this.

When I was in college, I got a credit card or two. I might still have one of them, or got in my early 20's. I don't know if banks do that anymore, give college students cards with a small balance.

Generally, I don't like co-signing. But I am thinking what if I got a card with my young-adult son and insisted I hold on to it. I could get it through one of my cards I have online banking with. I could pay a bill up to near the credit limit every month, then pay it off right away.

Maybe I could get my son a high credit score by the time he graduates college in case he wants to buy a house young or go into real estate as an investor or something along those lines. But I don't know if his having credit would be a good thing for him yet. At his age, he may need some opportunities to demonstrate some financial responsibility before I suggest such a thing.

Has anyone tried this? What benefits or problems do you see with my idea?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

buddyaderholt
Freshman Poster

Re: Setting up a College Aged Kid with a Credit Card

Post by buddyaderholt »

My parents did the same thing for me when I was in college, and it was a great way to build credit responsibly.
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Re: Setting up a College Aged Kid with a Credit Card

Post by glanmit »

And how does it go? I've been contemplating the idea of opening a virtual account for my child to introduce them to the basics of financial management. It's a step toward fostering early financial literacy and responsible money habits. In my quest for the right platform, I took the initiative to check out Vendorly reviews to gather insights into the user experiences of others who might have explored similar options.