How to overcome language learning frustration

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

I went to class to learn German. It was not cheap but I can write, speak, read, and listen okay. I would say intermediate level. I would like to learn technical German and business German. I would like to learn Spanish again because I learned it the American way which was horrible. Anyone have some advice other than Rosetta and Pimsleur?
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

Why is there not a foreign language section where we can talk about ,write and practice foreign languages,give tips to each other and answer questions about grammar a regional dialects. There are so many people here that have language skills but don't use them and this sight to build other men up.What helped me to learn Portugês near flawlessly is writing it all the time.Just a thought
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
emh
Freshman Poster

Post by emh »

My problem is that I just don't enjoy learning languages. I managed to get to an intermediate level of Spanish by taking classes in Mexico and Colombia. But outside the classroom, I just couldn't motivate myself to study. Even when I had plenty of free time. I've tried Pimsleur and it is quite good but eventually the repetitiveness wears me out.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

emh, I agree with you. I learned German currently in Vienna. I did not practice after the classes. However, I found out that I can learn more by writing to people (dating German speaking women). However, since I have to go back to the US (unfortunately) I want to learn Spanish and I guess I might have to see if I can take courses or other practice with Pimsleur.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

yes ladislav, somebody told me learning languages is a waist of time. you only get the skills to talk your stupid shit in a foreign language :) maybe true:) but horny desperate guys will do everything, including learning ugly asian languages. no pun intended:)
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Billy it is not bad to learn a new language. If the language is useful it is not bad to learn. Also if most people do not understand you (as with being in Spanish/German).
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

yeah, i know but ladislav has also a good point. and money is also a good language :)
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

skateboardstephen wrote:Why is there not a foreign language section where we can talk about ,write and practice foreign languages,give tips to each other and answer questions about grammar a regional dialects. There are so many people here that have language skills but don't use them and this sight to build other men up.What helped me to learn Portugês near flawlessly is writing it all the time.Just a thought
Well-informed, a formerly-frequent poster from Washington Heights, NYC, was interested in doing something similar, by putting all of his posts en español...even Jeygonza agreed too. Well let's take SkateboardStephen's-Well-informed's idea and make it work, right?
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

skateboardstephen wrote:Why is there not a foreign language section where we can talk about ,write and practice foreign languages,give tips to each other and answer questions about grammar a regional dialects. There are so many people here that have language skills but don't use them and this sight to build other men up.What helped me to learn Portugês near flawlessly is writing it all the time.Just a thought
Yeah, that's a great idea to improve this site!

Why don't you start a thread about it in the suggestions sub-forum?

EDIT: I was impatient and did it myself!

viewtopic.php?p=74788#74788
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Post by Rocky Top »

Camp38 wrote:I agree with the Pimsleur recommendation. I have been using that myself. I ripped the files to MP3 and use them on my Ipod at the gym. At home I have the files on my PC which I blast through my surround sound when I am solo and practice the phrases out loud. On my laptop I also have the files in completion and use my wireless head phones to review the lessons while reading..etc Pimsleur is very natural as the speech and phrases naturally progress and are NOT abstract and disconnected. There is also an underlying PUA about the whole program since you are always "That American Man sitting next to "Insert foreign woman/language" and the whole goal progresses from saying hello to asking her is she would like to eat and eventually having a drink "at your place" bei mir (german) or her place (bei Ihnen)..so the program has long term merit for single men going the happier abroad route.

I also have Rosetta Stone. However, some of it seems abstract as you are seeing people in the images do daily activities yet the whole overall lesson concept seems disconnected (eat/drink, driving running walking, professions, colors numbers) - All relevant but much less interesting. Although the immediate visual reference is extremely helpful in terms of memorization. However, the Pimsleur angle of talking to a female immediately and the overall lesson plan centering on THAT scenario does wonders for your motivation and memory alone.
I'm finding this to be the most interesting part of the program as I study Russian. It is actually a practical application of how I hope to use the language once I get to an FSU country.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

Winston wrote:There is an easy solution.

I'm learning Chinese quite well with the Rosetta Stone software. You guys should try it out. Learning languages with it is not only easy, but effortless too. You don't have to try to memorize anything. It all comes natural with the pictures. Try it and you'll see what I mean. It's easier than you can imagine. You learn it the way a child does, by connecting simple words and images and building up on that. It's that easy and natural. There's no raw memorization involved (which I can't do). That's the beauty of it.

I promise you, if you try this program out, there will be no more language learning frustration.

You can get it on Amazon.com. But if you can't afford it, then just download it off PirateBay.org. You will need to install the basic program, and then mount the ISO as a virtual drive using a free program such as "Power ISO" which you can download for free on their website.
Hey Winston, I know this is a long time ago. But do you know where I could download it for my Mac? I downladed it, and it ended up being only some text document called DownloadSetup.exe