Would you learn a foreign language for a woman?

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

ladislav wrote:When I was about to study a language I wanted to know two things:

1) Would it bring me money?
2) Would it bring me p...y?

If not, I would not study it.

However, I learned these things-

A language is not enough and it's not an absolute tool in getting money or p....y. It often helps but sometimes it does not.

Those people who specifically look for Americans/foreigners may not want a person to know their language beyond some cute babble. Sometimes, knowing it erases mystery and/or the respectful distance and creates contempt.

Speaking a language well does not protect you from being cheated, swindled or used.

Knowing what people say about you is not always a good thing.

The more you look like the locals, the more there's a necessity to learn the language if you want to fit in. The less you look like the locals, the more you can get away with not knowing the language and still get the girl.

Practicing languages with immigrants in the USA is not a good idea. Many will just tell you to speak English or reply in English and feel "insulted".
Your response seems like a paraphrase, but at the same time, I think it depends on how you are perceived by the locals as well as the community this would be occurring in.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Hero wrote:
Halwick wrote:By the way, is your Panamanian girl from Pacific side (Panama City) or the Atlantic side (Colon)? Used to live in Cocoli, Curundu, Balboa and Albrook AFB, and remember the former Panama Canal Zone fondly. Maybe someday I'll retire there....as soon as I master Spanish.
She's from Panama City. When I told her that I only speak English, she said "Wao" and "Uyyy". I know the first word is "wow", and I think the second one translates as "Oh no!" Bottom line is, she wasn't happy that I didn't speak Spanish, so I told her that I love foreign languages and that I was learning Spanish. I hope she's patient with me when I come to visit.
Uyyy doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean "oh no". It's more like "whoa", so it can be used to convey negativity, or amazement, or whatever.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Is there a SmartPhone App that will translate text message?
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

ladislav wrote:When I was about to study a language I wanted to know two things:

A language is not enough and it's not an absolute tool in getting money or p....y. It often helps but sometimes it does not.

Those people who specifically look for Americans/foreigners may not want a person to know their language beyond some cute babble. Sometimes, knowing it erases mystery and/or the respectful distance and creates contempt.

Speaking a language well does not protect you from being cheated, swindled or used.

The more you look like the locals, the more there's a necessity to learn the language if you want to fit in. The less you look like the locals, the more you can get away with not knowing the language and still get the girl.

Practicing languages with immigrants in the USA is not a good idea. Many will just tell you to speak English or reply in English and feel "insulted".
Regardless, I have to be able to talk with this girl if this relationship is going to work out.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

You should learn a lot of the world's most important languages just for yourself. In the next few years, i'll be successfully conversant in most of the world's major languages, except for Arabic--(not sure i'll be learning that one anytime soon).

Spanish is a pretty useful language and one of the easiest. I'd say this. What is your preference, culturewise, female wise and perhaps business related? If you like Latin girls, learn spanish, if you like asian girls, focus on one where they speak english or learn the one that makes the most sense to you.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Nuff said!

I avoided Arabic, French, Russian, and many other languages because I needed BOTH parts to match. Spanish and Mandarin were the right ones for me.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

celery2010 wrote: What is your preference, culturewise, female wise and perhaps business related?
What a hard question to answer! So far, my favorite country for meeting women is the Philippines. But I'm beginning to think that the Dominican Republic may be just as good or better. I've made friends online with SO many hot women with perfect measurements (and the photos to back that up :D) Some of them are in their 20's! Of course, the jury will be out until I actually visit them.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

[quote="ladislav"]When I was about to study a language I wanted to know two things:

Practicing languages with immigrants in the USA is not a good idea. Many will just tell you to speak English or reply in English and feel "insulted".[/quote]

Mr. Ladislav, most wise and interesting points you make.

Re "Practicing languages with immigrants in the USA is not a good idea...."
Very true. I once lived in a part of Los Angeles, CA that is heavily Latino as I wanted to learn Spanish. I tried to speak to them in Spanish and they preferred that I speak to them in English as THEY wanted to improve their English. Couldn't fault them and I respect that attitude. Glad they wanted to improve their English and I was willing to help them. Made many friends. Of course my Spanish didn't improve, though.

Re "Those people who specifically look for Americans/foreigners may not want a person to know their language beyond some cute babble. Sometimes, knowing it erases mystery and/or the respectful distance and creates contempt.", and "Knowing what people say about you is not always a good thing":
A gringo friend of mine who speaks Spanish fluently found out what they REALLY think of him.....and he was disappointed. They seem to dislike him because he KNOWS what they DON't want him to know. And they KNOW they can't get away with trying to scam him, which they bitterly resent.

Re "Speaking a language well does not protect you from being cheated, swindled or used."
True, but at least it decreases the probability that you will be cheated, swindled or used....unwittingly.

You are right: Once you learn to read, speak and understand the language fluently, everything changes and the country/people either loses its air of mystery as you suggest, or it opens up a whole new opportunity and adventure. I'd like to think the latter.

On the other hand, there was the time I tried to compliment a certain attractive senorita.....in Spanish....and she thought I was trying to propose to her. Had a hard time getting my neck out of the noose on that one. :lol:
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Hey, what does it mean if a woman from the Dominican Republic calls me "Cielo"?
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Post by RedMenace »

I just found out I have 3 Chinese lecturers. I also find out the university has extra modules to go in cv. I will definitely do level 1 - 3 mandarin. :D
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Hero wrote:Hey, what does it mean if a woman from the Dominican Republic calls me "Cielo"?
Cielo literally means "sky", but in this context it would mean something like "baby" or "honey". She is being sweet.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Re: Would you learn a foreign language for a woman?

Post by chibolo »

Hero wrote:I'm chatting via google translate with a Panamanian angel who speaks Spanish only. I know it's a lot of work to learn a foreign language, but this woman is worth it :D Anyone here ever learn a foreign language for a girl? How did you do it? Rosetta Stone, perhaps?
I learned my Spanish by listening and speaking, never studied it at all. I first learned the basics from a Mexican friend, then I went to Peru and learned a lot more just by being immersed in the language all the time. Now my Spanish is pretty good (not perfect).
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

chibolo wrote:
Hero wrote:Hey, what does it mean if a woman from the Dominican Republic calls me "Cielo"?
Cielo literally means "sky", but in this context it would mean something like "baby" or "honey". She is being sweet.
Score!! :D
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Ghost wrote:I'm learning some Mandarin since I'm in China for a while. So far I can introduce myself and order some in a restaurant. I have a little Spanish ability - just have to hunker down and finish learning. I recently started learning Filipino/Tagalog. I'm could maybe have a very basic conversation with it.

But yes, if I was going to marry a girl, I would learn her language. That's very important to me. If I thought I had any decent chance with Latinas, I would probably have just finished learning Spanish and gone to Latin America first instead of Asia.
That's cool. If I may ask, how are you earning a living?