Would you learn a foreign language for a woman?

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Would you learn a foreign language for a woman?

Post by Hero »

I'm chatting via google translate with a Panamanian angel who speaks Spanish only. I know it's a lot of work to learn a foreign language, but this woman is worth it :D Anyone here ever learn a foreign language for a girl? How did you do it? Rosetta Stone, perhaps?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Yes...but Chinese is an insanely difficult language for anyone to learn--and I say that as someone that can speak some Korean. So, you can imagine how difficult it is for someone with no Asian language speaking ability, to be able to speak the language!
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

zboy1 wrote:Yes...but Chinese is an insanely difficult language for anyone to learn--and I say that as someone that can speak some Korean. So, you can imagine how difficult it is for someone with no Asian language speaking ability, to be able to speak the language!
:lol: She must be really special, if you're doing all that work.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

I've heard learning a foreign language from a woman is the best way.....especially in the horizontal position. <grin>

Just be sure you learn to speak in the correct gender, as Spanish words makes a distinction between masculine and feminine. Otherwise you could end up sounding like a woman. And learn to roll those "R's".

If you're serious about learning Spanish, suggest you learn about the culture, i.e., food, literature, music, psychology, history and law. In other words, the whole empenadas.

By the way, is your Panamanian girl from Pacific side (Panama City) or the Atlantic side (Colon)? Used to live in Cocoli, Curundu, Balboa and Albrook AFB, and remember the former Panama Canal Zone fondly. Maybe someday I'll retire there....as soon as I master Spanish.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Halwick wrote:By the way, is your Panamanian girl from Pacific side (Panama City) or the Atlantic side (Colon)? Used to live in Cocoli, Curundu, Balboa and Albrook AFB, and remember the former Panama Canal Zone fondly. Maybe someday I'll retire there....as soon as I master Spanish.
She's from Panama City. When I told her that I only speak English, she said "Wao" and "Uyyy". I know the first word is "wow", and I think the second one translates as "Oh no!" Bottom line is, she wasn't happy that I didn't speak Spanish, so I told her that I love foreign languages and that I was learning Spanish. I hope she's patient with me when I come to visit.
tomasz
Freshman Poster

Post by tomasz »

all this effort for the blind hope of scoring with one chick? why not fly over there and meet chicks.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

I think he should also see if he can talk to other women. However, as he mentioned, he should learn some Spanish to talk with her. The few foreign girls I talked to know at least business English but I think Hero should work on his Spanish for around 6 months and then she if he can take time off to go visit her. At least he can practice with her while he is learning.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: Would you learn a foreign language for a woman?

Post by Teal Lantern »

Hero wrote:I'm chatting via google translate with a Panamanian angel who speaks Spanish only. I know it's a lot of work to learn a foreign language, but this woman is worth it :D Anyone here ever learn a foreign language for a girl? How did you do it? Rosetta Stone, perhaps?
Pims & FSI are good, too.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

tomasz wrote:all this effort for the blind hope of scoring with one chick? why not fly over there and meet chicks.
Well, it's not just for ONE chick. Yes, this girl from Panama is my first choice, but if things don't work out with her, my Spanish will help out with other Latin American babes as well.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Halwick wrote:I've heard learning a foreign language from a woman is the best way.....especially in the horizontal position. <grin>

Just be sure you learn to speak in the correct gender, as Spanish words makes a distinction between masculine and feminine. Otherwise you could end up sounding like a woman. And learn to roll those "R's".

If you're serious about learning Spanish, suggest you learn about the culture, i.e., food, literature, music, psychology, history and law. In other words, the whole empenadas.

By the way, is your Panamanian girl from Pacific side (Panama City) or the Atlantic side (Colon)? Used to live in Cocoli, Curundu, Balboa and Albrook AFB, and remember the former Panama Canal Zone fondly. Maybe someday I'll retire there....as soon as I master Spanish.
It's empanadas, sir. But you're getting there.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Hero wrote:
Halwick wrote:By the way, is your Panamanian girl from Pacific side (Panama City) or the Atlantic side (Colon)? Used to live in Cocoli, Curundu, Balboa and Albrook AFB, and remember the former Panama Canal Zone fondly. Maybe someday I'll retire there....as soon as I master Spanish.
She's from Panama City. When I told her that I only speak English, she said "Wao" and "Uyyy". I know the first word is "wow", and I think the second one translates as "Oh no!" Bottom line is, she wasn't happy that I didn't speak Spanish, so I told her that I love foreign languages and that I was learning Spanish. I hope she's patient with me when I come to visit.
And at least dudes like Ladislav, SkateboardStephen, and I agree that you must learn their language. Stop with this ADHD/ADD-lazy-a.ss "English is the language of world business so you should speak it too" myopic narcissism.

It's embarrassing when guys do this. Did you except them to say, "Ok" with a broken accent, and they you teach them English? Stop with the myopic narcissism. Do you want the whole world to speak English when we all know that is the premiere medium in which Feminism has been spreading????? Then you'd have a Special-Ed-From-Crank-Yankers moment like "Uh duh! Why is she acting like the very self-entitled cu.nt I have been trying to evade??!?"

American woman are like this form and fashion too....becoming irate when the store clerk in Myanmar doesn't understand what it is you want to buy from him for example there in person.

Now ask yourself, "Who's the mack?"
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
Halwick wrote: It's empanadas, sir. But you're getting there.
Gracias, senor. Spanish is not an easy language for me, let alone the spelling and pronunciation subtleties.

I got into similar problems when I once addressed a young lady as "senorina" when I should have said "senorita". Then there was the time I was introduced to a "burrito". Initially I was horrified at the thought of eating a baby burro. :lol:
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Halwick wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
Halwick wrote:

It's empanadas, sir. But you're getting there.

Gracias, senor. Spanish is not an easy language for me, let alone the spelling and pronunciation subtleties.
I got into similar problems when I once addressed a young lady as "senorina" when I should have said "senorita". Then there was the time I was introduced to a "burrito". Initially I was horrified at the thought of eating a baby burro. :lol:
That's good that you made a correlative connection there! LOL hahhaa Double entendre of sorts.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Halwick wrote: Just be sure you learn to speak in the correct gender, as Spanish words makes a distinction between masculine and feminine. Otherwise you could end up sounding like a woman. And learn to roll those "R's".
Yeah, gender is very important in Spanish.

Despite all its difficulties, Hungarian has no gender for nouns and it uses the same pronoun for "he" and "she" ("ő"). So the most common mistake Hungarians make when they speak English is mixing up "he" and "she"! lol

I was interested in learning Hungarian way back when I was still in the US, before I knew any Hungarian women.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

When I was about to study a language I wanted to know two things:

1) Would it bring me money?
2) Would it bring me p...y?

If not, I would not study it.

However, I learned these things-

A language is not enough and it's not an absolute tool in getting money or p....y. It often helps but sometimes it does not.

Those people who specifically look for Americans/foreigners may not want a person to know their language beyond some cute babble. Sometimes, knowing it erases mystery and/or the respectful distance and creates contempt.

Speaking a language well does not protect you from being cheated, swindled or used.

Knowing what people say about you is not always a good thing.

The more you look like the locals, the more there's a necessity to learn the language if you want to fit in. The less you look like the locals, the more you can get away with not knowing the language and still get the girl.

Practicing languages with immigrants in the USA is not a good idea. Many will just tell you to speak English or reply in English and feel "insulted".
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!