Languages that you love and languages that you can't f'n' stand

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.
Jsport
Freshman Poster

Re: Languages that you love and languages that you can't f'n' stand

Post by Jsport »

Lucas88

The positive experiences you have with Latinos has more to do with you being a Westerner and British. Latin Americans give a certain level of special treatment to people of cultures and civilisations they deem more advanced than theirs. But are more critical and condescending of Hispanic Americans like myself because, subconsciously they see us as people who descended away from their culture. It's similar to the special treatment that British people get from Americans, because of their British accents, and the prestige of being from the motherland. But a meditterenean looking Hispanic American like myself would be scoffed at by other Americans. Also American and Latin American women would give much more attention to a British guy than a strange American like myself. With that being said I'm not trying to bash myself or be self deprecating, because I know that in certain cultures, I would be valued as a person, but in your case I see it's more of you making the most out of the novelty of being British in a society where being British is highly valued. On a final note, I am not trying to discredit the good experiences you have in the Latin culture and Spanish language, and I can understand why you have a deep affection for the culture, people and language, but what you have to understand is that the grass is not always greener on the other side, and once the novelty fades away and you become more of native, the same things that bother you about British culture will also bother you about Latin culture.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Jsport wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 9:22 am
Lucas88

The positive experiences you have with Latinos has more to do with you being a Westerner and British. Latin Americans give a certain level of special treatment to people of cultures and civilisations they deem more advanced than theirs. But are more critical and condescending of Hispanic Americans like myself because, subconsciously they see us as people who descended away from their culture. It's similar to the special treatment that British people get from Americans, because of their British accents, and the prestige of being from the motherland. But a meditterenean looking Hispanic American like myself would be scoffed at by other Americans. Also American and Latin American women would give much more attention to a British guy than a strange American like myself. With that being said I'm not trying to bash myself or be self deprecating, because I know that in certain cultures, I would be valued as a person, but in your case I see it's more of you making the most out of the novelty of being British in a society where being British is highly valued. On a final note, I am not trying to discredit the good experiences you have in the Latin culture and Spanish language, and I can understand why you have a deep affection for the culture, people and language, but what you have to understand is that the grass is not always greener on the other side, and once the novelty fades away and you become more of native, the same things that bother you about British culture will also bother you about Latin culture.
I'm quite a strange case. I'm one of those rare people who just never fit in with their own culture and always felt out of place and like a foreigner. This forced me to leave my own country and adopt another culture and language as my own. I'm convinced that some people are simply born into cultures that don't suit them at all. In extreme cases an awareness of such can give rise to feelings of resentment and ethnic self-hatred.

Latinos are not the only people who I like although they are indeed my favorite people. I also prefer people of most other nationalities to the British and view the British as a very atypical, outlying, bizarre people group who have all kinds of localized oddities and problematic traits and who I feel the need to avoid as much as possible. This has consistently been my experience. British people are radically different to other Europeans (I've had substantial experience living abroad and have met many people of various nationalities) and mostly in a negative way. I cannot vibe with them no matter how hard I try, always feel uncomfortable around them, and have to avoid them for my own sanity. I only began to advance socially once I left the UK and went to Spain.

In my experience the grass really is greener on the other side and the novelty isn't an issue because I've already been interacting with Hispanic/Latin American culture and people for more than 15 years. I went from being a social outcast and incel in the UK to having a rich social life, a substantial number of friendships and girlfriends in Spain and Latin America. I attribute this to the more fertile social culture of Mediterranean and Latin societies in contrast to the anti-sociality and social alienation of British society which, in my view, is one of the most toxic in the world. I've actually started to have a real life since learning Spanish and fleeing to Spain and LatAm. I've experienced all of this myself and now more than ever I'm a passionate lover of Mediterranean/Latin culture and hater of the UK (although I'm more ambivalent towards America).

Latin Americans generally show admiration for White Europeans in general, not just the British. That admiration extends to Mediterraneans such as Italians and even Spaniards (despite their thorny history with the latter). When I'm in Latin America I always attempt to adapt to the culture and integrate as much as possible. I never seek to draw attention to my foreigner status and never reveal my nationality unless I really have to. That is because I'm ashamed of being a nerdy limey. But in LatAm most people will simply assume that a White foreigner is from the US anyway, although sometimes I've been confused with a Spaniard which is always nice because it lets me know that I'm doing something right with my Spanish :lol: . But the point is that I always try to integrate into the host culture with a "when in Rome" attitude and keep a low profile. I want to be a regular resident and "one of them" and not just an eternal gringo.

I'm aware of the situation which US-born Latinos face in Latin America. It's difficult because LatAm Latinos often view US Latinos as too agringados while at the same time many Anglo Americans view you guys as not real Americans. :( I can see how that might be a problem for you if you don't live in a majority-Latino city such as Miami for example.

Just out of curiosity, what makes it a problem for you in Latin America? Couldn't you just hide your US citizenship and present yourself to strangers simply as a Paraguayan? Or does your Spanish which you acquired in a US bilingual setting have some Americanized features that give you away as a US Latino? From what I understand Latinos are typically not very good at identifying other Latin American regional accents outside of the most well-known ones (e.g., Mexico, Colombia, Caribbean, Chile and Argentina). I doubt that a Mexican, Costa Rican or Colombian would even know what typical Paraguayan Spanish sounds like.
Jsport
Freshman Poster

Post by Jsport »

Lucas88

That's a good question. My Spanish is a Paraguayan Spanish accent with a noticable American tone. That is what gives it away as US Spanish. Which is sort of the opposite on how I speak English, because I speak standard American English, I don't speak English with a regional dialect or a noticable accent like I do in Spanish. I speak English with a regular American accent. My accent when I speak Spanish is very different from people of other Latin American countries, because the Paraguayan mentality and accent is very different from most other Spanish countries, kind of like how you say how the British are different from continental Europeans. So basically, the Spanish that I speak is Paraguayan Spanish with an American rythme, that is very noticable to other Latin Americans even to Paraguayans. Now the reason why I could not fully integrate with Paraguayans, is because despite the Paraguayan characteristics I do have as a person, I also send out strong American vibes whenever I'm around them, and that can sort of weird them out because in appearance, I do have a prototypical American look and style and I'm not as mindful as other westerners, when it comes social norms and vibes of other cultures. In other words I feel that my style is a little too American to fully adapt to any other country (with the exceptions of maybe other western anglo countries).

But at this point in my life, I'm not too concerned about these things anymore. Because I don't really have plans to go abroad or to mix with other nationalities like I used to, if I can somehow connect with American women and date them, then I wouldn't care about any of these things, I would be oblivious to all this. Because despite the lack of social compatibility I generally have with Americans and American women, I still do find American women attractive. This is why maybe if you find a British woman, maybe you would have a different perspective of British culture, but if your happy dating latinas, that's cool too. But personally, I don't feel that going abroad is the answer to finding happiness, because I have realized that people are people everywhere, and women can be snobby and difficult to talk to anywhere you go. But I also understand that some people have that urge to go abroad and that's fine too.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Spanish and Portuguese are so passionate that you don't need game to get them where you want to have them!
Spanish and Portuguese make the woman feel insulted if you take out a preservativo/condon or a camisinha respectively
and offer to roll it on before smashing.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Romanian/Moldovan

Romanian is the least-known Romance language spoken in the isolated eastern countries of Romania and Moldova. In Moldova there is an ongoing dispute as to whether there exists a distinct Moldovan language separate from Romanian but in reality both are the same language with minor differences in pronunciation and vocabulary. From what I've read the Moldovan variety conserves more archaic elements which also used to exist in standard Romanian. Due to the relative obscurity of those countries most people don't even know that Romanian is a Romance language and assume that Romanians speak a Slavic language, but Romanian is actually closely related to Italian and I am able to understand some of it due to my knowledge of Spanish. I never really paid much attention to Romanian due to the isolation of the region from the rest of Romance Europe and the language's lack of global importance, but I watched some video clips and music videos in that language and its Moldovan variety and immediately found the Latin phonology quite charming. The fact that it's a Romance language automatically endears me to it.

Here is a video of a scene from some Moldovan series or something:

The language has an obvious Latin sound. The brunette woman who appears at the beginning of the video looks quite cute and resembles a certain Latina who I used to know.

Moldovans being asked whether they speak Romanian or Moldovan:

The Gypsy-looking woman who appears around the 0:07 mark looks hot!

Spoof video about the Moldovan dialect:

A Romanian pop funk song from the 80s:

The language suits the genre of music.

A Moldovan synth disco song, also from the 80s:

Another catchy song which sounds 80s as fark!

All in all Romanian sounds to me like a charming and underrated Romance language. I've just looked through an overview of the phonology and grammar of the language and it doesn't look too difficult to learn at all. It doesn't look any more difficult than Spanish once you learn the orthography and pronunciation.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

I hate Thai; its an absolute abomination of a language that sounds like a bunch of mentally challenged frogs with advanced stage throat cancer. I find it absolutely horrendous to listen to for reasons I cannot quite explain.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
December 21st, 2022, 3:22 am
I hate Thai; its an absolute abomination of a language that sounds like a bunch of mentally challenged frogs with advanced stage throat cancer. I find it absolutely horrendous to listen to for reasons I cannot quite explain.
lol :lol:
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

amyst wrote:
December 20th, 2022, 11:49 am
I love Japanese language and hate Russian. Very simple
Any other members here to learn Japanese? What programs do you use for the translations?
So far i only know this one https://pickwriters.com/japanese-translation-services but maybe you can recommend something else too.
I like both, but unlike my good friend @Lucas88, I LOVE Japanese language too! :D

Re: translation programs:

DeepL is the best online translator I've personally seen, though Google Translate is also very solid.
I never tried the one you linked to but will check it out, thank you. :)

But here's an awesome desktop app that I love and highly recommend (and wish there was an equivalent for Cantonese and/or Vietnamese): Takoboto!
https://takoboto.jp/
I have a Windows version that was downloadable and works 100% offline, so I hope it is still available...
It gives awesome kanji/kana and numerous sentence examples of words and phrases in use, I love it.
And you can put in any Kanji and get onyomi and kunyomi readings off it, as well as kana. Very useful.
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

I need to update this old thread since I had a conversation about this same topic in real life not so long ago.

For some reason, I'm extremely sensitive to the aesthetics of the language of a place. I love some languages for their pleasant and harmonious sounds but at the same time absolutely can't stand others. My perception of a language might even determine whether or not I feel attraction to a certain place. If I find the language pleasant then I'm likely to grow fond of a culture (provided that I also find its other aspects aesthetically pleasing such as its architecture, scenery, musical styles, women, etc.). That's why I'm able to love cultures like Brazil even though some low-test effeminate squealers on here tell me that the country is dangerous. :? I feel joy in the melodious Portuguese language and the uplifting colonial architecture even if a gang war is taking place about a block away and bullets are flying through the air. 8) Conversely, if I don't like the sound of a language, then I can never truly love the country where it is spoken. No matter how good that place might be in other areas, if I find the language ugly and grating, then I just couldn't enjoy living in that place. I only want to live in places where the spoken language is like music to the ears. I remember that my homie Kalinago/@69ixine expressed the same opinion in another thread. Maybe we're just more sensitive than average to sounds.

Anyway, here is my updated version of my predilections and aversions pertaining to languages. I'll proceed by language family and include color codes. :D

Germanic Languages

British English - Hideous

I absolutely hate British English and find it dull, soulless, depressing and unbearable to listen to. Many of its phonemes are dissonant and unpleasant. Whenever I hear this variety of English on TV, I immediately change the channel!

North American English - Okay

The English spoken throughout much of the US and Canada sounds considerably nicer. It is smoother and more upbeat, has a better flow and is at least bearable to listen to. North American English is a much better version of the language in my opinion, even if it's not particularly beautiful either.

African American Vernacular English - Smooth and Melodious

AAVE is actually my favorite variety of English and I even find it pleasant to listen to. I don't care about its supposed low prestige. Born out of Southern US English and influenced by the phonetics of the African languages brought to America by Black slaves, AAVE is very smooth and has a lot of melody as well as its colorful and cool slang. Not all AAVE is ghetto either. Regular Black folk have spoken it for a long time. I love this variety of English and find it sexy on a Black female with curves. I'm also a fan of African American music (Funk, Soul, R&B; not rap) and comedy. I don't care if the KKK sympathizers hate me for liking AAVE. They can just suck a 10 inch uncut negro pecker!

German - Hideous

English's uglier and more convoluted cousin, German sounds harsh and unpleasant yet often somewhat camp and effeminate at the same time. It also sounds robotic, dorky and overly serious. If German were a woman, it would be downright unfuckable! Eine unfickbare Schlampe!

Dutch - Hideous

Possibly even uglier than German, Dutch sounds like it was engineered to be as hideous as possible. Dutch people sound cool when they speak English like the MMA baddass Bas Rutten and our own @MarcosZeitola (who really is a Dutch chad from the Netherlands and with whom Pixel--Dude and I have both spoken by phone, btw), but Dutch itself sounds as harsh as a hedgehog's nutsack and has all kinds of bizarre guttural sounds, even if the language might not sound as patently homo as Berlin German.

Swedish - Okay

Much nicer than the other Germanic languages in the region, Swedish has a melody that makes it more musical, and has less harsh phonemes than German, Dutch, etc. A Germanic language done right.

Romance Languages

Spanish - Beautiful

The most widely spoken Romance language, Spanish has a pure phonology with 5 basic vowels and is melodious and infused with abundant passion. Spanish sounds awesome and I never get tired of hearing it. It's my favorite language and perhaps the most well-designed European language. ¡El idioma de los dioses! Colombian Spanish is particularly pleasant.

Portuguese - Beautiful

Like Spanish, except sweeter and more mellifluous. Various nasal sounds that differentiate it from the purer phonology of Spanish as well as palatalization. Every time I hear a Brazilian woman speak, I get a hard-on!

Italian - Beautiful

Like Spanish, except more musical and with geminated consonants and the old Eastern Romance plural forms (-i and -e instead of the Western Romance -os and -as). The language of the Renaissance, Dante, Vivaldi, Leonardo da Vinci, etc. Perhaps the pinnacle of civilizational beauty. I'd much rather listen to the planning of a hit by members of 'Ndrangheta or La Cosa Nostra than a business meeting between some obnoxious London businessmen. At least the former actually sounds civilized!

French - Okay

I'm not a huge fan of French and find its phonology a little weird but it is full of passion like Spanish and Italian and has a very chic and intellectual quality.

Romanian - Okay

As a Romance language, Romanian generally sounds better than Germanic languages and has some interesting phonemes but, to my ears, doesn't sound as melodious as the Western Romance languages.

Slavic Languages

Serbo-Croatian - Beautiful

My favorite Slavic language, Serbo-Croatian of the former Yugoslavian nations sounds quite melodious with its four-tone accent system and its smooth phonology which lacks many of the harsh consonant clusters of languages of the same family. I've heard it said that Serbo-Croatian sounds like a bunch of rural Italians speaking some rough provincial dialect with archaic Russian words. I think that this is the best description of Serbo-Croatian I've ever heard!

Slovenian - Beautiful

Very similar to Serbo-Croatian (especially the Kajkavian dialect), Slovenian might be even more melodious than its southeastern neighbor. Preserves archaic Slavic features such as the dual number.

Russian - Beautiful

The most prevalent Slavic language, Russian has a phonology that can either sound spacey and extremely mysterious or masculine and dominant - a unique contrast of soft and harsh sounds (almost every hard consonant in Russian has its soft palatalized counterpart).

Polish - Hideous

I hate the sound of Polish. It's as though every other sound is a sh, ch or zh, or what I call "too sushy". Polish words often look weird in comparison to their cognates in other Slavic languages - much uglier and harder to pronounce in my opinion. In contrast to the masculine sound of other Slavic languages, Polish has a weird, droning, dorky quality too. It's definitely the Slavic language that I hate the most.

Czech - Hideous

Not as bad as Polish, but still pretty ugly. Weird ř sound.

Bulgarian - Okay

South Slavic language, somewhat close to Serbo-Croatian, but with vowel reduction and only short vowels like Russian, lack of noun declension, suffixed definite articles and a complex verb system. Sounds like a fairly midway Slavic language to me.

Slovak - Okay

Czech's prettier cousin, Slovak sounds decent, definitely the most palatable of the West Slavic languages. Said to be more archaic than Czech in terms of its grammar and phonology.

Baltic

Lithuanian - Beautiful

An Indo-European language with many archaic features, grammatically Lithuanian resembles Sanskrit and Ancient Greek more than it does Russian or any Slavic language. Immediately noticeable cognates with those ancient languages too. Lithuanian is surprisingly melodious and musical. Distinction between short and long vowels and a pitch accent system. But hardly anybody knows about Lithuanian.

Other Indo-European

Sanskrit - Beautiful

An absolutely perfected language with highly systematic grammar and special vibrational qualities within its phonology. I've learned some Sanskrit for Yoga terms and Eastern philosophy and have pronounced mantras in this language for occult works (they are extremely powerful). Regarded as a language of divine origin by Hindus, Sanskrit was probably brought to Earth by extraterrestrials.

Persian - Beautiful

Farsi and its dialects sound musical and poetic. The product of a once great and sophisticated civilization (even if Eurocentric scholars rarely talk about it).

East Asian and Southeast Asian Languages

I find most East Asian and Southeast Asian languages quite ugly whether it be Mandarin, Japanese, Korean or Tagalog. Just not my thing.

In fact, here is something I wrote about Asian languages in a reply to @WilliamSmith last summer:
As for Asian languages, even though I studied Japanese and reached a high level of fluency I'm not a fan of Asian languages at all. I don't think that I'll ever study another one. Mandarin, Japanese and Korean are known as the big three but none of them appeal to me nowadays. Mandarin is the clearest and most straightforward of the big three but isn't very pretty as you've already not-so-subtly pointed out. Japanese is just a mess in terms of its grammar and lexical constitution and suffers from an obvious monotony of sound due to its comparatively small phonological inventory. Korean is even more needlessly convoluted than Japanese. Then you've got the lesser known Asian languages in SEA such as Tagalog and Malay/Indonesian in the insular regions and Thai, Laos, Burmese, Khmer and Vietnamese on the mainland. My impression of Tagalog and Malay/Indonesian is that they are primitive languages which lack the grammatical and lexical richness of European languages, give off an almost "tribal" vibe and are full of Western loanwords due to their underdeveloped state (this is especially noticeable with Tagalog). The mainland languages such as Thai, Laos, Burmese, etc. are spoken in very limited regions and are not worth studying unless you have an obsession with a particular country in the region. In short, no Asian languages interest me.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=45893

I guess I'm just more of an Indo-European soul.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

1) American English is alright.. it's the Microsoft office of languages, not too beautiful not too ugly. English has been a "lingua franca" for most of the world.

2) British English seems cooler to Americans. Americans treat British people with respect because they think British people are more sophisticated then them. To @Lucas88's chagrin.. the Yanks/Amis love your British Accent.

3)Australian English is more harsh sounding and rougher than British English, however it has more flavor and nicer flow to it then American English.

4)Spanish sounds pleasant, has good flow and little bit melodic but most Spaniards speaks too fast for me.

5)French sounds more sophisticated than Spanish.

6)Italian tends to sound more melodic than Spanish.

7) German.. oh my god.. sounds too robotic, cold, anal retentive, harsh.

8) Dutch sounds like more guttural and squeakier version of German. They have lot of "Ek", "Ughk", "Eeeeee", "Aaaaa", "WhoewAhhhh"

9) Russian sounds bit passionate yet harsh and somewhat angry... it is just me..

10) Korean sounds too whiny and irritating. I can't stand it.

11) Chinese is just ugly motheringf*cking language. Too irritating, weird and loud. Their writing system is one of the hardest in the world.

12)Japanese sounds more pleasant then both Chinese and Korean but too many honorifics and social protocols. Very stifling.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
69ixine
Junior Poster

Post by 69ixine »

I personally find spanish,russian,ukrainian,italian to be very beautiful.

I like american accents for english though,it sounds nice.

I have a good accent,I speak middle class ohio english which is the standard accent for media in america,or used to be.
scamming simps,and raking in the dough with my AI female version softcore adult pics to get HA to be a reality.

https://playgroundai.com/search?q=huge+breasts
69ixine
Junior Poster

Post by 69ixine »

I also like fusha arabic,and also hebrew to be honest.Aramaic is good too.
scamming simps,and raking in the dough with my AI female version softcore adult pics to get HA to be a reality.

https://playgroundai.com/search?q=huge+breasts
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Serbo-Croatian

Serbo-Croatian is my favorite Slavic language. I dabbled in the language in the early 2010s and found it quite enjoyable and not too difficult. By then I was already fluent in Spanish and had a decent level of Japanese. I gave up studying it when I went back to Spain and became immersed once again in Spanish culture but I've always considered the Balkan countries as a possible secondary HA location and would happily learn the language properly if I were to have a significant stint there.

Serbo-Croatian is a South Slavic language spoken in the ex-Yugoslavian nations of Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro. Some speakers consider Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin to be separate languages but in reality these are all simply varieties of the same language and are only considered separate by some for nationalist reasons. In fact, the idea of a distinct Serbian or Croatian language is a massive oversimplification and different varieties of the language don't conform to national borders. For example, the speech of Osijek in the easternmost part of Croatia will have far more in common with that of the areas just across the border in Serbia than with the speech of, say, Zagreb, Rijeka or Split.

Serbo-Croatian is considerably more melodic than most other Slavic languages. In its standard form it has a distinction between short and long vowels and a four-tone system which gives the language a musical quality which some people describe as reminiscent of Italian, although some varieties do away with the four-tone system (e.g., Zagreb) or omit long vowels in unstressed positions (e.g., Belgrade). I've heard it said that Serbo-Croatian sounds like provincial Italian peasants speaking some Slavic dialect with archaic Russian words. I think that this description is not only quite humorous but also spot on. Lol! The language also has quite a pure phonology and smooth phonotactics and lacks many of the awkward consonant clusters of other Slavic languages. In fact, it is quite easy to pronounce and very few phonemes present difficulties for a native Anglophone.

As for the writing system, in Croatia the language is written with the Latin script while elsewhere it is written in either Latin or Cyrillic with the latter being preferred in Serbia.

Here is a video of the Serbian variety being spoken by ordinary people in the streets (from the Easy Languages series):

Here is another video from the same language learning series, this time of the Croatian variety spoken in Zagreb:

And here is a third video of Croatian girls describing their ideal man:

Listening to the videos, I think that the Italian peasants speaking an archaic Slavic dialect thing rings true. Lol!

Some music in Serbian:

Djomla KS & Alma - Drugari

Dunja Ilić - Zla Heroina

Arian - Lutaš Velikim Gradom

Slovenian

Slovenian is another South Slavic language spoken in the small mountain country of Slovenia just to the northwest of Croatia. It is extremely similar to Serbo-Croatian, especially the Kajkavian dialect of northern Croatia. However, Slovenian includes certain archaic features which Serbo-Croatian doesn't have such as the Old Slavic dual number for nouns and verbs as well as differences in vocabulary. To me, Slovenian sounds even more melodic and musical than Serbo-Croatian. It sounds even smoother and less harsh.

A video about the history of Slovenian (sounds very cultural):

Moja Slovenščina 9 april 2013 (TV show about how to speak Slovenian correctly):

Slovenian Music:

Sound Attack - Zakaj odšel si

Power Dancers - Prvič vem

Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Lithuanian

Lithuanian is a Baltic language (not a Slavic language as some people assume) spoken by just over 3 million people, mostly in Lithuania. It is related to Latvian and also to Old Prussian which is now extinct. Lithuanian is a curiosity for linguists. It preserves archaic Indo-European features and is thought to be the most conservative IE language outside of Sanskrit and therefore close to the original Indo-European. Even a precursory glance at Lithuanian's noun declensions will show a striking parallel with those of Sanskrit, Ancient Greek and Latin. Many cognates with those classical languages and other IE languages are immediately recognizable. Lithuanian is like a remnant of an earlier stage of Indo-European preserved in the tiny Baltic nation amidst a sea of more dominant Slavic and Germanic languages.

Lithuanian is an unknown beauty. It is smoother and more melodic than the Slavic languages that surround it, has pitch accent and distinction between short and long vowels as well as various characteristic diphthongs, features quite a pure phonological inventory without too many awkward consonant clusters, and is well-suited to music. I'm of the view that Lithuanian is one of the most beautiful European languages even though most people have never heard of it. It is also spoken by Lithuanian women who have quite a unique and attractive phenotype.

I've looked into the language's grammar and it doesn't look any harder than that of a Slavic language. In fact, its noun and adjective declensions look somewhat easier with only two genders (masculine and feminine) as opposed to three, and the case endings of adjectives being largely the same in form as the nouns that they modify (this is not the case with Slavic languages).

The nominative singular and plural of the 1st declension paradigm -as and -ai are related to Latin -us and -i and Ancient Greek -os and -oi.

The accusative singular -ą, which was historically a nasal sound, is related to Latin -um/-am and Ancient Greek -on/-an while the accusative plural -us and -as is related to Latin -os and -as and Greek -ous and -as.

The locative singular -e/-oje is related to Sanskrit -e and the locative plural -ose/-uose/-yse to Sanskrit -ishu.

Vyras is obviously related to Latin vīr (as in virile), Sanskrit vīrah and English wer (as in werewolf); and sūnus to the English son.

Lithuanian girl talking about living in Korea

Conversation between a guy and a cute brunette

Lithuanian music:

Monika Linkytė - Po dangum

Eglė Jakštytė - Kai nieko nereikia

Karališka Erdvė - Žodžiai Iš Praeities

Mink Taką - Diskoteka

From the little that I've heard, I like the sound of Lithuanian music a lot.
Last edited by Lucas88 on May 5th, 2023, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
May 2nd, 2023, 10:42 pm
2) British English seems cooler to Americans. Americans treat British people with respect because they think British people are more sophisticated then them. To @Lucas88's chagrin.. the Yanks/Amis love your British Accent.
To be honest, I don't care what Americans think is cool. British English sounds like dogshit whether it be the soulless standard form spoken by the urban middle class or any one of its bumpkin dialects, most of which sound either uncouth or just plain stupid and ridiculous. I know this. I'm a sophisticated European, after all! :wink:

Yes, I don't even consider myself British but rather a European aristocrat with ethnic ties to Ireland and Continental Europe, a Hispanophone and a Mediterranean soul. 8)

I recently read an interesting article on the origins of American English. It basically explained that the variety of English which is spoken in the US and Canada emerged from a dialectal continuum spoken in the towns of a certain region of southern England not too far from London. Those dialects were the language of rural folks - very earthy, soulful and fun-loving -, and stood in contrast to the soulless speech of the urban bourgeoisie. When the British populated America, it was mostly the rural folks from that southern region who left England for the New World colonies and these people obviously took their language with them. Meanwhile, in England the soulless speech of the urban bourgeoisie would become the dominant standard spoken throughout the country, gradually displacing the soulful folksy dialects of that same southern region and elsewhere. Thus "American English" and "British English" mutually diverged.

Americans and Canadians speak derivatives of the old folksy dialects of English that were full of soul and heartiness while urban Brits inherited the speech of stuffy, uptight, pretentious, snobby and anal retentive middle-class assholes.