HappierAbroad members in China

Arrange meetups and get togethers with other Happier Abroad members in your area, or coming to your area.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

HappierAbroad members in China

Post by zboy1 »

There seems to be a considerable number of HAers in China. I know some members but not all of the people here. Can anyone in China post where they are now and what they are doing in China? I guess I'll be the first one:

I'm in Guangdong region of China, between Shenzhen and Guangzhou. I'm teaching English here now, but I'm also trying to be involved in future business opportunities. I've been in China for about three years and overall, it's been a great experience. Of course, like other posters have mentioned, Chinese people can piss you off sometimes due to their rudeness, lack of cleanliness and overall lack of civility, but there are the good things as well.

As I've said, Chinese people can be quite rude and racist, but if you get sick of China, there's opportunities to travel to other parts of Asia.
I've used my time in China to travel to Korea many times, as well as to many other Asian countries. I have to say, I really loved Japan, Korea and the Philippines the most, with Thailand near the top as well. I hated Taiwan and Hong Kong the most; the reason? Same as the complaints Winston has often mentioned in the forum. On the other hand, White foreigners would love those places due to the pathetic White-worshipping Asians in those countries.

I've met some HA members while on my travels too, and I have to say, I haven't met any I haven't liked so far, regardless of race. I've liked everyone I have met, in fact.

What about the rest of you guys in China? Where are you and what are you doing in China?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: HappierAbroad members in China

Post by droid »

How about you finally do that report, with pics? :wink:
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I should do one about Beijing soon, but I don't have much free time. It takes a lot of effort to do one. Everdred is great at it. I'm not. lol

I know I should include pics, but is it really necessary? I guess so, since a lot of people complain to me about my lack of pics when posting threads about traveling to different countries. How about including your info, Droid? I want to see how many people are in China now, so one day we can do a meetup or something.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Yeah it does take time to upload the pics or what not, but there are always interesting shots that are not found in usual travel sites.
I have a ton of unique pics, although i don't have a fancy camera like Everdred, just off my phone.

I was going to make a Vietnam report, but I'm still pissed since Winston and the mods let my last report be trolled real bad, with impunity, and they never cleaned it up. That kind of takes the motivation away.
I might eventually move that thread to the vip section and add the vietnam report there too.

As far as China goes I'm planning to move to Guangzhou next year, but there is this one girl I'm getting too involved with here; it's gonna be really tough, i still don't know how I'm going to do it. Also, i see that my expenses would increase by 25% according to numbeo, so still need to think about it more.

Hey how are you doing for transportation? Here i can ride a motorbike without any issues at all, absolute freedom.
I understand bikes over there have been restricted. Are you just walking and taking the bus/metro? that would kind of suck in comparison :|
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Yeah, parts of Dongguan have banned motorbikes because in the past, many thieves used it to rob people. Taxis are numerous here, though, and the subway recently opened. Two years from now, the subway will connect to Guangzhou and Shenzhen and you will be able to travel all over Dongguan.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I should do more mad reports, I still have 1000's of photos of Guangzhou, Dongguan and Shenzhen. My time living there was so crazy though, nobody will believe my stories.

Guangzhou was good in that it was so easy to travel round by metro and bus, whereas when I went to Wuhan it was all so hard to understand that I didn't really go anywhere (they didn't have a metro at the time). Guangzhou also had plenty of stores selling Western stuff. On the downside it was pretty polluted - I had to clean the soot off my balcony several times a week. And it was edgy - I got followed a couple of times and plenty of friends there have had problems with crime. Also it was absurdly crowded - even my date from Shenzhen thought Guangzhou was overcrowded.

Guangzhou also has some really great tourist sites, and there are no Western tourists at any of them!

On the downside I'm not a fan of Cantonese food - the food in Hubei was vastly better.

As to costs, Guangzhou was way cheaper than Shenzhen! It was quite expensive for property, but the problem I found was that apartments were mostly made for families, it was hard finding studio or one bed places. In the end I rented a roach infested room in a shabby block opposite my university - it was basic but before me 3 Laotian students occupied it - now that's how to live cheaply.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

xiongmao wrote:I should do more mad reports, I still have 1000's of photos of Guangzhou, Dongguan and Shenzhen. My time living there was so crazy though, nobody will believe my stories.
That would be nice xiongmao
xiongmao wrote:Guangzhou also has some really great tourist sites, and there are no Western tourists at any of them!
+1
Good thing the notion of 'adventurous' for them is walking just three blocks from their hotel
xiongmao wrote:As to costs, Guangzhou was way cheaper than Shenzhen! It was quite expensive for property, but the problem I found was that apartments were mostly made for families, it was hard finding studio or one bed places. In the end I rented a roach infested room in a shabby block opposite my university - it was basic but before me 3 Laotian students occupied it - now that's how to live cheaply.
I had the same problem here, mostly 2-bedroom apartments.
Fortunately I found a small studio in a nice area. Best part is that it's impeccable, zero bugs. That's something I don't want to deal with. Too many roaches back in FL, I think I paid my dues already :roll:
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

zboy1 wrote:There seems to be a considerable number of HAers in China. I know some members but not all of the people here. Can anyone in China post where they are now and what they are doing in China? I guess I'll be the first one:

I'm in Guangdong region of China, between Shenzhen and Guangzhou. I'm teaching English here now, but I'm also trying to be involved in future business opportunities. I've been in China for about three years and overall, it's been a great experience. Of course, like other posters have mentioned, Chinese people can piss you off sometimes due to their rudeness, lack of cleanliness and overall lack of civility, but there are the good things as well.

As I've said, Chinese people can be quite rude and racist, but if you get sick of China, there's opportunities to travel to other parts of Asia.
I've used my time in China to travel to Korea many times, as well as to many other Asian countries. I have to say, I really loved Japan, Korea and the Philippines the most, with Thailand near the top as well. I hated Taiwan and Hong Kong the most; the reason? Same as the complaints Winston has often mentioned in the forum. On the other hand, White foreigners would love those places due to the pathetic White-worshipping Asians in those countries.

I've met some HA members while on my travels too, and I have to say, I haven't met any I haven't liked so far, regardless of race. I've liked everyone I have met, in fact.

What about the rest of you guys in China? Where are you and what are you doing in China?
I just had a night in Guangzhou on a layover on my flight back to the USA. I wish I had gotten in touch with you. For all the guys that want to fly to Asia, there are extremely inexpensive flights on China Southern Airlines.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

droid wrote:Yeah it does take time to upload the pics or what not, but there are always interesting shots that are not found in usual travel sites.
I have a ton of unique pics, although i don't have a fancy camera like Everdred, just off my phone.

I was going to make a Vietnam report, but I'm still pissed since Winston and the mods let my last report be trolled real bad, with impunity, and they never cleaned it up. That kind of takes the motivation away.
I might eventually move that thread to the vip section and add the vietnam report there too.

As far as China goes I'm planning to move to Guangzhou next year, but there is this one girl I'm getting too involved with here; it's gonna be really tough, i still don't know how I'm going to do it. Also, i see that my expenses would increase by 25% according to numbeo, so still need to think about it more.

Hey how are you doing for transportation? Here i can ride a motorbike without any issues at all, absolute freedom.
I understand bikes over there have been restricted. Are you just walking and taking the bus/metro? that would kind of suck in comparison :|
Are you in China yet? If so we can meet up soon.

If you want to move your Vietnam thread to the VIP section, let me know.

You can ride regular bicycles in China. They are everywhere and good exercise. Why a motorbike? They are more dangerous and have more fatal collisions. Btw taxis in China are much cheaper than in Taiwan or HK. So they are viable for daily use.

Also, like 75 percent of girls in Shenzhen are good looking and attractive. Dang. So many model types everywhere too. You will go ga ga like you're in la la land. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Making some progress on going back to China myself but... Oh the paperwork lol.

Winston get yourself to Hubei Province the girls there are so much hotter than they are along the coast! The problem is that pretty much nobody speaks English.

BTW, for anyone in China right now, is it still safe to be a foreigner there? I'm seeing a lot more reports of nationalistic goings on. It's not just a China thing though, it's happening globally. I should probably start another thread for this, but we're kind of where Germany was in 1930 and the Roman Empire was at the start of its decline. People worrying about their gender - that's the BIG clue to what's coming.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.