I lived in Peru, ask me anything!

Moderated area for expat living and dating discussions. Members only. Must qualify with good knowledge, experience, character to be member and participate. See guidelines inside. Civil behavior only. No trolls, attacks or insults.
chibolo
Junior Poster

I lived in Peru, ask me anything!

Post by chibolo »

Ok, let's get this forum started.

I lived in Peru for 6 years, together with my Peruvian girlfriend (now ex). It is not paradise, but it is a nice country to visit or even live in for a while. Here is a quick overview of the country. Feel free to ask me any questions if you are interested in going there.

Women

Food

Tourist Attractions

Music

Last edited by chibolo on November 1st, 2014, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Gracias, chibolo.

Watched the first 2 videos so far.

Some nice meat on those little lamb chops!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

VERY feminine girls, and the music is GREAT!
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

For the best comida peruana, one must go out to la selva/la jungla, and go to Tarapoto and maybe Yurimayguas. Tarapoto, IMHO, has the best Peruvian food. It's the closest you're going to get to very good Latin-Caribbean food that's praised in countries like Puerto Ricao (ok commonwealth then) and the Dominican Republic. Not the nasty "Latinized" version of American food that is in the big Dominican cities like Puerto Plata and STO DGO. When I went out for food on the Malecon (southside of Santo Domingo right by the Caribbean Sea) and saw a fried chicken place, I was What the.....It tasted alright but still...I wanted something that was NOT a remixed version of American/stateside food.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:For the best comida peruana, one must go out to la selva/la jungla, and go to Tarapoto and maybe Yurimayguas. Tarapoto, IMHO, has the best Peruvian food. It's the closest you're going to get to very good Latin-Caribbean food that's praised in countries like Puerto Ricao (ok commonwealth then) and the Dominican Republic. Not the nasty "Latinized" version of American food that is in the big Dominican cities like Puerto Plata and STO DGO. When I went out for food on the Malecon (southside of Santo Domingo right by the Caribbean Sea) and saw a fried chicken place, I was What the.....It tasted alright but still...I wanted something that was NOT a remixed version of American/stateside food.
Well, it all depends on what you prefer. Food from "la Selva" is very different from the food they eat on the coast (la Costa). The most popular and well known Peruvian dishes, like ceviche, are made on the coast though. Personally, I have never been to the Peruvian jungle region, but there was a restaurant with "comida selvatica" (jungle food) in Trujillo (where I lived) and I know the dishes they prepare there.

Comida Selvática (food from the jungle region of Peru)

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

chibolo wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:For the best comida peruana, one must go out to la selva/la jungla, and go to Tarapoto and maybe Yurimayguas. Tarapoto, IMHO, has the best Peruvian food. It's the closest you're going to get to very good Latin-Caribbean food that's praised in countries like Puerto Ricao (ok commonwealth then) and the Dominican Republic. Not the nasty "Latinized" version of American food that is in the big Dominican cities like Puerto Plata and STO DGO. When I went out for food on the Malecon (southside of Santo Domingo right by the Caribbean Sea) and saw a fried chicken place, I was What the.....It tasted alright but still...I wanted something that was NOT a remixed version of American/stateside food.
Well, it all depends on what you prefer. Food from "la Selva" is very different from the food they eat on the coast (la Costa). The most popular and well known Peruvian dishes, like ceviche, are made on the coast though. Personally, I have never been to the Peruvian jungle region, but there was a restaurant with "comida selvatica" (jungle food) in Trujillo (where I lived) and I know the dishes they prepare there.

Comida Selvática (food from the jungle region of Peru)

Hmmmm what about el pollo a la braza (de la parrilla) con papas?? How can you forget that Peruvian dish??? Peruvianos lovvvvve grilled chicken and fries...they cook that so well...better than how Americans cook chicken!!! And the three-four sauces which came with it??? OMG Lo mejor! jajaja lol

Non-related, but related (LOL): I detest Trujillo. There was a beach town nearby which treated me better, but Trujillo, most people thought I was an African pimp looking for chicas to work for him. That p.issed me off because half the people out there were darker than me and were completely Peruanos. I found out when I asked a Peruvian restaurant owner in Spanish (whom was cool-as-h.ell) why do the women around here seem so scared of me?
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote: Hmmmm what about el pollo a la braza (de la parrilla) con papas?? How can you forget that Peruvian dish??? Peruvianos lovvvvve grilled chicken and fries...they cook that so well...better than how Americans cook chicken!!! And the three-four sauces which came with it??? OMG Lo mejor! jajaja lol
There you go :) :

Pollo a la Brasa:

You are right, Peruanos love pollo (chicken). There are pollerias all over Peru. They are almost as common as Chifas (Chinese/Peruvian restaurants).
Non-related, but related (LOL): I detest Trujillo. There was a beach town nearby which treated me better, but Trujillo, most people thought I was an African pimp looking for chicas to work for him. That p.issed me off because half the people out there were darker than me and were completely Peruanos.
Sorry to hear that you had bad experiences in Trujillo. Some Peruvians can be kind of racist towards people with darker skin or non-European features. They are even racist towards themselves sometimes. But that doesn't just exist in Trujillo, that happens all over Peru. The beach town you mention is Huanchaco.

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

chibolo wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote: Hmmmm what about el pollo a la braza (de la parrilla) con papas?? How can you forget that Peruvian dish??? Peruvianos lovvvvve grilled chicken and fries...they cook that so well...better than how Americans cook chicken!!! And the three-four sauces which came with it??? OMG Lo mejor! jajaja lol
There you go :) :

Pollo a la Brasa:

You are right, Peruanos love pollo (chicken). There are pollerias all over Peru. They are almost as common as Chifas (Chinese/Peruvian restaurants).
Non-related, but related (LOL): I detest Trujillo. There was a beach town nearby which treated me better, but Trujillo, most people thought I was an African pimp looking for chicas to work for him. That p.issed me off because half the people out there were darker than me and were completely Peruanos.
Sorry to hear that you had bad experiences in Trujillo. Some Peruvians can be kind of racist towards people with darker skin or non-European features. They are even racist towards themselves sometimes. But that doesn't just exist in Trujillo, that happens all over Peru. The beach town you mention is Huanchaco.

Decent response. Thanks. Yeah, there were/are places that had it as "la brasa" o " la braza".....almost pronounced the same - sometimes interchangeable. It's also synonymous to "Ç" in pronunciation in Portuguese, but I digress.

Yeah, ContrarianExpatriate and I were talking about how most Peruvians are "self-hating". That's why White and European men do very well in Perú, especially in Cuzco (or Cusco) ....see the similarity btwn. the two spellings?? jajajajaa Yo estaba bromeando.

You're right; the name of that beach town was Huanchaco. It's been 5 years since I have been there.

Thank you for the the visual; that was favorite dish while I was there, and it was $3-4 USD convertible back then!

When it comes to visiting Perú, Trujillo was my worst experience. Cuzco was my 2nd worst;I was jumped by 7 Aussies at an Anglosphere hostel after one of their drunk Caucasian thug boys was spewing s.hit to me. I only went to that hostel because it was cheap; it wasn't because I was "thirsty" to find someone whom spoke English.

Lima was my 3rd worst. My worst P4P session was in Miraflores, Lima, Perú.

The best was Tarapoto following Chiclayo/Piura. The northern part close to the Ecuadorian border as well the jungle showed me love and respect compared to the southern part (and Trujillo).

If I ever pass through Perú ever again, it'd be for el pollo a la braza con papas [fritas] y la comida selvatica de Perú....Not for las mujeres ni lo demás
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Decent response. Thanks. Yeah, there were/are places that had it as "la brasa" o " la braza".....almost pronounced the same - sometimes interchangeable. It's also synonymous to "Ç" in pronunciation in Portuguese, but I digress.

Yeah, ContrarianExpatriate and I were talking about how most Peruvians are "self-hating". That's why White and European men do very well in Perú, especially in Cuzco (or Cusco) ....see the similarity btwn. the two spellings?? jajajajaa Yo estaba bromeando.

You're right; the name of that beach town was Huanchaco. It's been 5 years since I have been there.

Thank you for the the visual; that was favorite dish while I was there, and it was $3-4 USD convertible back then!

When it comes to visiting Perú, Trujillo was my worst experience. Cuzco was my 2nd worst;I was jumped by 7 Aussies at an Anglosphere hostel after one of their drunk Caucasian thug boys was spewing s.hit to me. I only went to that hostel because it was cheap; it wasn't because I was "thirsty" to find someone whom spoke English.

The best was Tarapoto following Chiclayo/Piura. The northern part close to the Ecuadorian border as well the jungle showed me love and respect compared to the southern part (and Trujillo).

If I ever pass through Perú ever again, it'd be for el pollo a la braza con papas [fritas] y la comida selvatica de Perú....Not for las mujeres ni lo demás
I wouldn't say most Peruvians really "hate" themselves, but there is definitely an element of racism in the culture there. The worst thing you can be is a "cholo" (an amerindian/indigenous looking Peruvian), because they are considered poor and lower class. Now, that doesn't mean that all Peruvians will treat you bad because you aren't white though. I know a black American guy on another forum who loves Peru and is married to a Peruana and another who went there on a trip and had a grea time.

Everyone's experiences will be different, It sounds like you had a lot of bad luck in Peru and ran into the wrong people. Personally, I love the country (but there are things I don't like as well) and received a decent amount of attention from women there (I'm a white European). I do want to say that just because you are white doesn't mean you will become a rockstar in Peru and it certainly isn't as "easy" as the Philippines (based on what I have read about that country). You will just receive some extra attention from women (smiles, stares, etc.). The only places where you may get women throwing themselves at you is in certain tourist áreas where the obvious gringo hunters (called "bricheras" in Peru) and prostitutes hang out, like Cuzco or la Calle de las Pizzas in Miraflores, Lima.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

chibolo wrote:

I wouldn't say most Peruvians really "hate" themselves, but there is definitely an element of racism in the culture there. The worst thing you can be is a "cholo" (an amerindian/indigenous looking Peruvian), because they are considered poor and lower class. Now, that doesn't mean that all Peruvians will treat you bad because you aren't white though. I know a black American guy on another forum who loves Peru and is married to a Peruana and another who went there on a trip and had a grea time.

Everyone's experiences will be different, It sounds like you had a lot of bad luck in Peru and ran into the wrong people. Personally, I love the country (but there are things I don't like as well) and received a decent amount of attention from women there (I'm a white European). I do want to say that just because you are white doesn't mean you will become a rockstar in Peru and it certainly isn't as "easy" as the Philippines (based on what I have read about that country). You will just receive some extra attention from women (smiles, stares, etc.). The only places where you may get women throwing themselves at you is in certain tourist áreas where the obvious gringo hunters (called "bricheras" in Peru) and hoes hang out, like Cuzco or la Calle de las Pizzas in Miraflores, Lima.
I know an HA member now whom is going to Perú, and he might do well...he might not. I hope he does well.

Conozco bricheras. I have ran into them in the gringo spots....that Plaza is where I had my worst P4P experience ever (of all fifteen countries I have been to). The experiences I had with Colombianas in Chiclayo and Piura were the best P4P sessions I had in all of Perú, but I got the best non-pro sessions in Tarapoto due to being off of the beaten gringo track.

Hay 165 otros paises para enterarme. Lo sabias? So why should I try to "volver de descubrir a Perú" if I don't really have the time nor have to? lol If I'm trying by land to Bolivia, like I have twice before, or to Chle by land, then I'll check out Perú otra vez.

PS: you're right; not all of them are "self-hating"....I need to absolve myself from using that term. Actually, they are just uber-pro-Euro. lol
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote: I know an HA member now whom is going to Perú, and he might do well...he might not. I hope he does well.

Conozco bricheras. I have ran into them in the gringo spots....that Plaza is where I had my worst P4P experience ever (of all fifteen countries I have been to). The experiences I had with Colombianas in Chiclayo and Piura were the best P4P sessions I had in all of Perú, but I got the best non-pro sessions in Tarapoto due to being off of the beaten gringo track.

Hay 165 otros paises para enterarme. Lo sabias? So why should I try to "volver de descubrir a Perú" if I don't really have the time nor have to? lol If I'm trying by land to Bolivia, like I have twice before, or to Chle by land, then I'll check out Perú otra vez.

PS: you're right; not all of them are "self-hating"....I need to absolve myself from using that term. Actually, they are just uber-pro-Euro. lol
I don't know anything about P4P (I'm not into that myself).

Of course, if you had bad experiences in Peru you shouldn't go back. I wouldn't either. That doesn't mean everyone will have the same experience. I am not saying Peru is some sort of paradise (it is a third-world country with a lot of problems) but I enjoyed my time there.

Yes, a lot of Peruvians are "pro-Euro", that is true. Although I have also met Peruanas who said they don't like white guys or white skin and prefer "los morenitos" so there are always lots of exceptions as well. And most Peruanas will not throw themselves at you just because you're white, though being white is a bonus with many of them (especially if you have blue or green eyes).
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Do Asian guys do well in South American countries including Peru? So from this post, Peruvian women are difficult and have loads of expectations?

chibolo why did you break up with your girlfriend? Where are you now and who are you with?
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Bao3niang wrote:Do Asian guys do well in South American countries including Peru? So from this post, Peruvian women are difficult and have loads of expectations?

chibolo why did you break up with your girlfriend? Where are you now and who are you with?
I don't really know how Asians would do in Peru (I am white myself). A lot of Peruvian girls watch Korean soap operas though (they are huge in Peru) and many of them love the actors, so I think an Asian guy could do fairly well. There are also Asians in Peru, not many, but they exist. One of the former presidents of Peru was of Japanese descent and there are Chinese restaurants (Chifas) all over Peru, often owed by Chinese-Peruvians. A lot of Peruvians look kind of Asian themselves.

I wouldn't say Peruanas are extremely difficult, they are certainly easier than American/Western-European women (generally speaking). But they are not desperate and you won't see 18 year old girls with old men like you do in the Philippines (unless they are prostitutes).

I don't really want to go into why I broke up with my girlfriend here (it's a long story). She was a great girl, but it just didn't work out. We are still friends. I am now single and back in Europe (I am Belgian btw).
Last edited by chibolo on July 2nd, 2014, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Oh cool. Do you miss Peru and Latin America? Where will you head next? I'm Chinese-Canadian, 19, never been in a romantic relationship before. :( I don't like it when I see really old guys with much younger women, to be honest. At least in China it is normally the case that the girl's a gold digger.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Bao3niang wrote:Oh cool. Do you miss Peru and Latin America? Where will you head next? I'm Chinese-Canadian, 19, never been in a romantic relationship before. :( I don't like it when I see really old guys with much younger women, to be honest. At least in China it is normally the case that the girl's a gold digger.
Yeah, I miss it a lot... I really like a lot of things about Latin culture (the music and nightlife, the food, etc.) . As I said before, there are things I don't like about Peru as well (there is a lot of crime, for instance). But yeah, I do miss it.

Yeah, women who date much older men are often gold diggers (not always obviously). I am not saying there are no gold diggers who date old guys for money in Peru, but it is not very common.