Economic Migrant Jobs

Moderated area for expat living and dating discussions. Members only. Must qualify with good knowledge, experience, character to be member and participate. See guidelines inside. Civil behavior only. No trolls, attacks or insults.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Economic Migrant Jobs

Post by xiongmao »

OK I'm starting a thread about economic migrant jobs. I know a lot of forum members want to go overseas and travel, but the money thing puts them off. So maybe this is a possibility.

This thread is largely based on what I've learned from living in my UK shared house of economic migrants. I was in Asia last year - if you want to go there then just get a language teaching certificate, or stockpile about $1200 for every month you want to spend out there.

Back to the thread and Falcon and I have certainly noticed there are large numbers of economic migrants in the world - we met a lot last year. Who cares about the US economy - there is ALWAYS a boom somewhere.

Right now the UK is booming. Dating here isn't great, but there are jobs here, and there's lots to see and do culturally.

What's a migrant job? They tend to be jobs the locals don't want to do.

The guys and girl in my house all work as chefs or in hotels. They seem to get job offers before they come to the UK - Internet job boards are your friend. If you have prior experience you can get a better job. If you don't speak the local language or you're unskilled then you can clean rooms or maybe become a microwave chef.

Work permits can be hard to find, but in the UK you can work here if you're an EU citizen. There are loads of Australians and South Africans in London, so they must get work permits somehow.

Like many other countries, there is a minimum wage here. A head of housekeeping earns around £18000 a year, a room cleaner maybe £15000. I heard that some hotels have subsidised accommodation and free meals, so that really saves your budget.

They don't work long hours - they're in the house more than I am.

One guy in my house also worked on a cruise liner for a few years. This is an awesome way of seeing the world and getting paid! My uncle spent half his life doing this job, and he's seen some amazing stuff.

If you don't fancy the UK, then consider: Singapore, Dubai, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Canada and Australia.

Anyway, if you have anything else about migrant jobs, then post info below...
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Great thread, let's keep this going.

For example I would have NO idea about the UK.

Yeah ***I*** wouldnt go there, but some folks, perhaps even one of my sons, might well want to.

+1 for a great OP.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Xingmao is correct. I believe people can work in the UK. I am not sure if Americans can easily find work in the UK. Possibly the UK did have a program for highly skilled migrants where you earn a certain income and other qualities being young, skilled, high income earner could help get employment though living in the UK in London or in the metro area is pretty expensive.

We should have a page about places where you can apply for a work permit easily. Though most are in the English speaking countries, they do have programs in non-English speaking ones too.