Thailand Online Dating's downward spiral

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Englishjohn
Freshman Poster

Thailand Online Dating's downward spiral

Post by Englishjohn »

in 2016 I came to Thailand for my first time. Within days of arriving I met a cute 28 yr old girl on Tinder who spent a month with me, not a hooker. Back home in the UK I never experienced something so quick and was convinced the country was paradise. As it turned out she was somewhat dishonest and I fell out with her but that's another story.

But I returned to Thailand several times before moving here permanently in 2018. I had no desire to play around, I just wanted to meet one decent girl, stick with her and enjoy life here. I'm not young anymore now (50), but I'm in exceptionally good shape and money isn't an issue .So I continued to use dating site such as Tinder, Bumble, OKC and Thai Friendly. Normally searching form 35 upwards.

in 2016, matches were very easy and there were plenty of attractive women on these apps. But now in 2021, it's like a different planet. 99% of the women online I have zero interest in. They are all overweight or unattractive. Most of these women seem like leftovers that few men want. Many have been single for a long time.

Maybe for the younger crowd it's still good, but for the more mature among us it seems like online dating here is game over unless you're interested in scraping the barrel.

PS from time to time the girl from 2016 makes contact with me and suggest we have a relationship. I always refuse and remind her of her past dishonesty. Plus she's gained 12kg since then ! She has become another leftover...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

HappyGuy

Re: Thailand Online Dating's downward spiral

Post by HappyGuy »

Englishjohn wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:14 am
She has become another leftover...
:shock: Where's the happy ending we were waiting for? There's at least a joke coming right?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Englishjohn wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:14 am
.....But I returned to Thailand several times before moving here permanently in 2018. I had no desire to play around, I just wanted to meet one decent girl, stick with her and enjoy life here. I'm not young anymore now (50), but I'm in exceptionally good shape and money isn't an issue .So I continued to use dating site such as Tinder, Bumble, OKC and Thai Friendly. Normally searching form 35 upwards.
I don't understand really - You say you are living in Thailand permanently and you are using Tinder and such English internet website to meet Thai women? Seriously?

Maybe you should use your time to study Thai language to be able to communicate in Thai instead of using English language dating websites.

Most Thai women are really not good in English and other foreign languages - if you live in Thailand and want a nice Thai woman (without bar-girl past and such otherwise low quality women from somewhere etc.) to live with you you should look for her directly or by introduction of other Thai women - however this is not so easy without using the Thai language, which is not an easy language for native English speakers.

I am not able to communicate in Thai, despite I am often in Thailand and own my second home there, but my family are all Japanese and our principal residence is in Japan, we do not have and do not look for any personal relationship with Thai people.

However if you want to live in Thailand permanently with a Thai woman in future (and be aware her family will also show up) you should be able to communicate in HER native language. - Otherwise as you noticed by yourself, websites like Tinder etc. are a way to nowhere.
Englishjohn
Freshman Poster

Post by Englishjohn »

Well clearly having a decent grasp of the Thai language would be a significant advantage, and I'm working on it. However in the meantime I'd rather not just at home and give up, I may as be back in the UK if I wanna do that.

These dating apps were not always as bad. Plenty of them speak English to a reasonable standard and 4 years ago the quality of women was higher, and they were very keen to chat. Now not only is quality significantly lower but if and when you do match they will ghost you at the drop of a hat.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Englishjohn wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 10:24 am
These dating apps were not always as bad. Plenty of them speak English to a reasonable standard and 4 years ago the quality of women was higher, and they were very keen to chat. Now not only is quality significantly lower but if and when you do match they will ghost you at the drop of a hat.
This is true, and it's not only about Thailand.

I remember well about the internet-chat situation 10 to 15 years ago, and it was so easy to find and talk to serious people on the internet even without intention of dating. You could meet online people you would never meet in your life without internet.

Japan is sometimes a bit boring, so I often was using internet to talk to various people somewhere.

Now not any more, there are too many bad people, idiots, con-men, prostitutes and so on online - you cannot trust anybody anymore.

I remember I had a lot of chats with serious people (men and women, young and old, single or married) from Tunesia, Lebanon, Russia, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, China, Vietnam and also within Japan and some of these internet-friends when travelling around during vacation I and also my family members met later on in person.

My longest lasting contact is from Malaysia, still in contact after 20 years..and we met also face to face three times.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

I was using ThaiFriendly around 2018-ish, searching for girls in their early 20's. I found it tough. They all give one-word replies and stop replying altogether within a day. Basically online dating overseas is the same as "underseas" or back home. I see little difference other than the overseas women being in slightly better shape.

It's even harder in Vietnam, if you can imagine that. Compare the size of the userbase of ThaiFriendly with that of the Vietnam equivalent (I forgot the name). The latter is much smaller. Thai girls pretend to like foreigners while Vietnamese girls don't even pretend.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

flowerthief00 wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 10:29 pm
I was using ThaiFriendly around 2018-ish, searching for girls in their early 20's. I found it tough. They all give one-word replies and stop replying altogether within a day. Basically online dating overseas is the same as "underseas" or back home. I see little difference other than the overseas women being in slightly better shape.

It's even harder in Vietnam, if you can imagine that. Compare the size of the userbase of ThaiFriendly with that of the Vietnam equivalent (I forgot the name). The latter is much smaller. Thai girls pretend to like foreigners while Vietnamese girls don't even pretend.
Yeah, so even when you do find your dating paradise the inclusion of starving Western men, or even recently starving Chinese men, always ruins it. There is no way around this. This global system has to collapse.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

Cornfed wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 12:01 am
Yeah, so even when you do find your dating paradise the inclusion of starving Western men, or even recently starving Chinese men, always ruins it. There is no way around this. This global system has to collapse.
I don't know about any global system collapsing. I see things continuing along on the paths they are to greater extremes until we have polygamy in all but name, with the top small percentage of men monopolizing all the women. Humans have practiced polygamy before and it didn't lead to collapse.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Why not just move there and live there for few months and learn basic language to get a girl? Are places overseas that BAD now.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I don’t really post here anymore and I don’t visit the site much anymore but since there’s really nothing to do in the midst of this Covid mess I guess I’ll just give my 0.02.

Vietnamese women, and I mean educated middle-class ones and not the ones who come from poor villages in the north and sign up to be married off to poorly educated Chinese men, definitely aren’t closed off to foreigners but you have to be at least somewhat of a decent guy yourself. My experiences with them are only online, I have not talked to one in ages and have not visited Vietnam to this day, but from my experience chatting to the more educated Vietnamese girls they’re definitely more conservative and selective than one might think. They’re like a slightly more easygoing version of Chinese women though I’m just generalizing. In terms of their temperament I’d say they’re the closest to Cantonese and maybe some other southern Chinese women though by Cantonese I’m not referring to HK.

Another thing I’ve noticed about Vietnamese girls is that many of them are very sharp and good at doing business and they’re very adaptable to other countries. Most of the Vietnamese I see elsewhere in Asia tend to be female, a Vietnamese man’s a rare sight. In fact I heard that while Vietnam is a patriarchal Confucian society on paper, it’s often the women who wear the pants in the house. This I do suspect might have something to do with the fact that Vietnam, like many other SE Asian countries and even much of ancient non-Han southern China, was a lot more matriarchal and that the patriarchy introduced by Confucianism only came later. Perhaps it’s in their DNA?

Pretty much all the Viet girls I used to chat with were central / southern Vietnamese so perhaps things are a bit different in the north. One of them who’s now married to her Australian boyfriend told me that northern people (in Vietnam) are more “simple and down to earth, conservative” but not as fun. This is literally the opposite of northern vs southern Chinese where it’s usually northerners who are more direct.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!