Saipan and Northern Mariana Islands?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
notfeelinusa2
Freshman Poster

Saipan and Northern Mariana Islands?

Post by notfeelinusa2 »

Has anyone been to Saipan/Northern Mariana Islands? Could an easy going white guy fit in there? Whats the culture like? economy? women?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

BigDug
Freshman Poster

Post by BigDug »

My Japanese ex-girlfriend grew up there from birth till 12. Because Saipan is a US territory, she had the option of choosing either Japan or the US as her nationality. Since she was forced to move back when her family moved back to Japan at age 12, she chose Japan as her nationality at age 20 (adulthood age in Japan).

She only spoke English as her language from birth till 12, which made her assimilation back to Japanese culture difficult as she was learning Japanese from scratch.

She said it was pretty Americanized and lots of English speakers. She went to a Catholic English School as a child.

The wiki says the population is only 80,000 across all the Northern Mariana Islands with 62,000 in Saipan (tiny).

Sorry I don't have more for you, only that little nugget I picked up from my ex.

I know she lost her English skills from the lack of use from years 12-25, but her pronunciation was perfect. No "R" and "L" problems, or issues with "TH" or "F"...or turning "V" into "B". So I guess the people that grew up there speaking English speak it pretty well.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Saipan? Northern Mariana Islands?

Post by Jester »

notfeelinusa2 wrote:Has anyone been to Saipan/Northern Mariana Islands? Could an easy going white guy fit in there? Whats the culture like? economy? women?
Interesting idea.

Looks like an interesting alternative to Phil's for english-speaking Asia Lite.
JamaicaninChina
Freshman Poster

Living on Saipan since 2006

Post by JamaicaninChina »

Winston asked me to weigh in on this as I've lived on Saipan since 2006.

I'm not an easy-going white guy, :-) however, I've met quite a few there. (I say "there," only because I'm in New York at the moment)

I wouldn't call Saipan "Asia Lite," only because Saipan is not really Asia. It's in the Western Pacific and the indigenous people are Micronesian. The Northern Mariana Islands (14 islands of which Saipan is the capital, has been under German, Spanish and Japanese rule, and has been under US rule since World War II, so the "culture," while retaining elements of the "local" Chamorro and Carolinian culture and a bit of Japanese, is essentially US. What DOES give it a Philippino flavor, is the presences of "contract workers" who actually represent the majority of the 50,000 people on the island.

Another Asian and "other" element is the inflow of Japanese, Russian and Chinese tourists who frequent the island and typically stay for 3-4 days. (The Russians stay longer, sometimes as much as 1-3 months)

I have to say, however, that things have changed quite a bit just in the last 5 years. There used to be about 70,000 on island comprised mostly of Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, and more Filippina women who worked the garment factories that were once plentiful and prosperous on the island. All the factories since closed, and most of that demographic has left the island. Personally, it's still a great escape from life in the mainland, but from a social/dating perspective, it's not the place it once was.

The economy is "in transition" right now as a result of the factory closures as well as fluctuations in tourism. I'd say it would be a great destination for someone whose income is not dependent on the local economy.

Since being on island, I've created a number of websites, as well as written a few books to expose Saipan to the world.
(and you can check out my blog)

They include:

Jamaican on Saipan! The True Story of One Man's Escape From the Rat Race to Live a Private Nomadpreneur's Dream...(a Unique Travel Guide for the Rest of Us)
http://www.jamaicanonsaipan.com (there's a youtube video of a scene from the weekly "street market")

Chicken Feathers and Garlic Skin: Diary of a Chinese Garment Factory Girl on Saipan co-authored with Chun Yu Wang
http://www.saipanfactorygirl.com

Saipan Living
http://www.saipanliving.com

Doing Business on Saipan
http://www.saipanliving.com

WEBSITES:
http://www.welovesaipan.com
http://www.bestofsaipan.com
http://www.discoversaipan.com
and others.

All on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001JRXNXY
I'm not here to convince, justify, defend or apologize for my beliefs, choices or lifestyle. I'm not here for validation, vindication, approval or to respond to personal attacks. I'm here to share a philosophy & formula that worked for me! And in a world of 6 billion, if ONE person can do a thing, then it MUST be possible for at least ONE other person to do the same! Freedom is achievable!
Turn Your Passion Into Profit - http://www.waltgoodridge.com
Jamaican in China blog - http://www.jamaicaninchina.com
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Living on Saipan since 2006

Post by Jester »

JamaicaninChina wrote:Winston asked me to weigh in on this as I've lived on Saipan since 2006.

I'm not an easy-going white guy, :-) however, I've met quite a few there. (I say "there," only because I'm in New York at the moment)

I wouldn't call Saipan "Asia Lite," only because Saipan is not really Asia.
Jamaican, would you recommend Saipan for someone looking for a relaxed, non-judgemental place to live with two or three women - Filipinas, Russians, whatever?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

It looks like Walt is the authority on Saipan. He is even a celebrity there.

Here is Walt's post on why he loves Saipan:

http://www.jamaicaninchina.com/?p=2035

Saipan will always have a special place in my heart and soul for one simple reason: the CNMI was the first country that I consciously deliberately CHOSE to live as a self-aware human being.

Through a fortunate “accident” of birth, I landed in Jamaica, West Indies. And while I’m eternally thankful I did, I didn’t choose to be there (not consciously anyway).

When my parents emigrated to the US mainland, I wasn’t part of that decision-making process either.
But, Saipan! Ahhh, yes Saipan! I ended up here, motivated by the pursuit of my own definition of happiness. I didn’t come here for a job. I didn’t come here for family. I came here simply for freedom and happiness.

And to share that happiness, beginning in 2006, I started writing for the Saipan Tribune, did a few “saipanpreneur” workshops, gave a few tours to visiting tourists, and, beginning with WELOVESAIPAN.com, started a bunch of websites all of which you can view at BestofSaipan.com
Six years later, people are still discovering Saipan through those sites….which brings me to my request:

I’ve just revamped the WELOVESAIPAN site, but I need some new faces and stories to post on the site since a few of the currently featured residents have moved on. I’d especially like to hear from and feature those individuals who are currently active in bringing about change in the CNMI! (don’t be shy, you and I know who you are, and this is a good way to speak out and take control of Saipan’s image on a popular site that people find through Google)

If you’re a current–or even past–resident who’s coming back (and I’m hearing from a few), check out the new format of WeLoveSaipan.com. Email me with a testimonial of why you (still) love Saipan, and attach or link me to a photo you’d like to use! It’s that simple, but it will make a powerful public, and global statement!

Let me get you started: “It’s because I DO STILL love Saipan and want it to maintain its beauty, as well as evolve and prosper that I do what I do….”
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Saipan and Northern Mariana Islands?

Post by momopi »

notfeelinusa2 wrote:Has anyone been to Saipan/Northern Mariana Islands? Could an easy going white guy fit in there? Whats the culture like? economy? women?
Ask folks who lived there:
http://brianandrachelmorris.blogspot.com/
http://brianandrachelmorris.blogspot.co ... ianas.html
http://brianandrachelmorris.blogspot.co ... nacks.html
JamaicaninChina
Freshman Poster

Re: Living on Saipan since 2006

Jester wrote:
JamaicaninChina wrote:Winston asked me to weigh in on this as I've lived on Saipan since 2006.

I wouldn't call Saipan "Asia Lite," only because Saipan is not really Asia.
Jamaican, would you recommend Saipan for someone looking for a relaxed, non-judgemental place to live with two or three women - Filipinas, Russians, whatever?
hey Jester!
I love that question! Okay. so here are a few observations and experiences about Saipan that can help you. (As a writer who LOVES answering questions like this, I'm going to refer you to books I've written that answer THOSE specific questions!)

1. Saipan is essentially a "small town in the middle of the Pacific Ocean." That's important because within a few weeks of being there, everyone will know your business. When I first landed there, I made the "mistake" of thinking that I could just blend in to the anonymous crowd, and that the people I was seen hanging out with were just as anonymous. Come to find out that everyone knows who the new guy is, everyone knows who the girl he met is (and the details her past), etc. As I wrote about in Jamaican on Saipan: One man's ongoing story to escape the rat race and live a dream life; a travel guide for the rest of us, I went out with a young lady, and by the time I got back home to where I was staying, my host, who was at home watching tv the whole time, said, "Hey Walt, I heard you were out and about town, and I heard you weren't alone!"

So, why is that important? Well, when presented with the reality of being one of a "harem," a young lady I know said "For me, is no problem, but I worry about losing face here on Saipan." She was from Thailand, where polygamy was just made a "no no" by civil law in 1935, so I imagine the openness to it is vestigial.

So, one aspect of the short answer that I'll say to you is: If the women already live there, their openness to that lifestyle might be affected by how they feel they might be judged by their peers. If, on the other hand, you bring your "roommates" with you, then it might be a little easier.

2. The other reason I love that question is that it is in total alignment with the "Harem" ideal in "If you want to be my girlfriend..." A man's guide for setting standards, living and loving true to your self, getting and satisfying the women you want...all without EVER compromising your masculinity.. So, let me say this about that: You will have much more latitude in structuring the type of relationship you want once you are abroad. I couldn't have related this book had I not lived on Saipan, China, etc, and experienced gender relations outside the western paradigm.

If I keep writing, I'll end up just writing another book here on this forum! Hope some of that helps!
I'm not here to convince, justify, defend or apologize for my beliefs, choices or lifestyle. I'm not here for validation, vindication, approval or to respond to personal attacks. I'm here to share a philosophy & formula that worked for me! And in a world of 6 billion, if ONE person can do a thing, then it MUST be possible for at least ONE other person to do the same! Freedom is achievable!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow check this out. Our friend Walt Goodridge has been on TV documentaries talking about Saipan. Here's one called "America's Forgotten Colonies" where Walt shows viewers around Saipan's historical sites. He even shows viewers where Amelia Earhart was allegedly kept while she was on Saipan, according to many witnesses there. Walt looks like he'd be a great tour guide. As you can see, he's very articulate and intellectual. He's definitely "the man" when it comes to Saipan!

Here he is on the China Travel Channel introducing Saipan to viewers. It's in Chinese though with no English subtitles.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Winston wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 8:56 pm
Wow check this out. Our friend Walt Goodridge has been on TV documentaries talking about Saipan. Here's one called "America's Forgotten Colonies" where Walt shows viewers around Saipan's historical sites. He even shows viewers where Amelia Earhart was allegedly kept while she was on Saipan, according to many witnesses there. Walt looks like he'd be a great tour guide. As you can see, he's very articulate and intellectual. He's definitely "the man" when it comes to Saipan!

Here he is on the China Travel Channel introducing Saipan to viewers. It's in Chinese though with no English subtitles.

Where is Walt from Jamaica? He doesn't sound it. Where did he used to live, China? How long has he lived in Saipan? My Uncle served in WWII in Saipan.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yes I think Walt is originally from Jamaica. But his family moved to New York so he lived there for many years too. Then he went to Saipan and spent some years there too and became a local celebrity there and connected well with the folks there. Somehow he became Saipan's local media representative and ambassador. I remember he created some good travel websites about Saipan too. You can see the links to them in his post above. So he is "the man" in Saipan, arguably. I don't think he lived in China, he just traveled there a few times. He was in Vietnam last I heard. You can read about his background on his website.

http://www.waltgoodridge.com

JamaicaninChina
Freshman Poster

Saipan Update during lockdown! (April 19, 2020)

I recently shared a "Saipan Update" with my previous tour clients. I thought it might be of interest to the HappierAbroad network!
In case you're curious:

Here on Saipan...

▪ Things are quiet. 

▪ No school.

▪ No church services.

▪ restaurants are closed.

▪ No tourists driving bright pink Mustangs (not sure if that was a thing when you were here)

▪ Air is cleaner (It was always so, but I suspect it's even better now!)

▪ Supermarkets are open, and other such essential stores have been asked by the government to close at 1pm.

▪ There's been no panic buying--except a bit of a run on hand sanitizer,isopropyl alcohol,garlic and ginger! So, shelves are stocked and shopping proceeds as normal, albeit at a 6-foot spacing.

Well stocked shelves

▪ Mail delivery to the post office continues.

▪ There's a 7pm curfew

▪ I canceled my March and April tours back in Feb since I wasn't comfortable encouraging folks to travel and possibly put myself and others in the community at risk.

On another note:
No international flights coming or going. 

No guests in hotels.

No tour buses around.

So, those businesses and individuals who relied 100% on tourism-generated income might be a bit challenged.

Hermits and recluses can cope. The incurably gregarious might be going stir crazy.

In general, though, I'd say things are pretty civilized....The nice thing about life here is that we're more in touch with nature and less dependent upon supermarkets as the single source of food. (People fishing more, others have fruit trees on their properties, etc.) so I think that sense of desperation is less here. 

W
p.s. I believe I've read somewhere, "8 confirmed cases."

*If it wasn't a thing when you were here, I'll explain the Mustang phenomenon:
It must have started about 2 years ago, then. The growing wave of young Chinese tourists were all renting Mustang and Camaro convertibles to sport about the island and (most importantly) take photos posing on the hood for uploading to the latest social media sites. The most popular of these "skittle colored cars," as one my guests called them, was hot pink, but you could find bright green, blue and an occasional red! They were everywhere! And, the kids must have purchased their driver's licenses at the same rental companies because they quickly garnered a reputation of doing odd things like driving on (and getting stuck in) Saipan's sandy beaches, stopping in the middle of the road to read maps, raising convertible tops while driving and all manner of mayhem! (Fun to watch the trainwreck!)

I've included a photo of a Mustang convoy at Banzai Cliff.

I don't know if they knew each other before they arrived, or if the meetup was spontaneous!

p.p.s. With an inordinate amount of time on my hands, I've been devoting more time to growing my 5 Youtube channels (feel free to subscribe and click the alert bell to help raise my numbers and future income):

▪ The Passion Prophet channel features a new "Turn Your Pandemic into Profit" series"
http://www.youtube.com/passionprophet

▪ The Ageless Adept channel features a new "Cleancell Optimized Vitality, Immunity & Detox" series (I'll spare writing the obvious acronym) for folks who've asked what I eat and how I boost my immunity as a fanatic vegan of the past several decades!
https://bit.ly/AgelessAdept

And, if you were losing sleep worried about me roaming the deserted streets of Saipan to do my shopping, fear not! I did get a car a few months ago. Hmmmm.. "The Streets of Saipan" (I'll probably do Covid Edition Drive Through Saipan to add to the video series) The first one I did when I first arrived on Saipan now has 20,000 views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciytmRdsRSo

JamaicaninChina
Freshman Poster

The Streets of Saipan (a C.O.V.I.D. Drive thru Saipan!) Apr 18, 2020

As promised, I filmed a video yesterday to show exactly what things are like in lockdown here on Saipan! Check out "The Streets of

Over the years, I've filmed a series of popular "Drive Through Saipan" videos (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 46C908CD89; the first one now has 20,500 views). I decided to do a C.O.V.I.D. version after sending out an update to my previous tour clients. FYI: C.O.V.I.D. stands for "Car-less, Open, Vacant, Inactive & Desolate!"
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi Walt,
Great trip report and photos. Saipan looks nice. Nice red car too. You must be loaded there. lol

I have a few questions for you.

1. Are you a local celebrity in Saipan? If so, how did you become one? Can you walk down any street in Saipan and be recognized? Does everyone there know who you are?

2. What are the ethnicities of the people there? Are they Asian or a mixed race?

3. What is the cost of living there like? Lower than Hawaii?

4. In the documentary "America's Forgotten Colonies" you pointed out where Amelia Earhart was allegedly kept according to eyewitnesses. I saw some documentaries about that too. But they failed to answer some obvious questions. Can you answer them?

Namely, why didn't the Japanese return her to the US? Why did they execute her or allow her to die in prison? She was obviously a high profile prisoner, if the story is true. So why wouldn't they keep her alive and use her as a bargaining chip to get something they want from the US government? Plus in 1937 Japan and the US were not at war yet, so why didn't they inform the US and work with them to get her back home?

The story is that the Japanese suspected that Earhart was a spy right? That's why they kept her prisoner, along with her navigator Fred Noohan. If so, then why were there no Japanese military records of her capture or incarceration? Why didn't the officers and soldiers reveal the truth after the war? Or try to return her? Why did she and her navigator die there? Wouldn't they try to keep her alive to use as a bargaining chip or hostage against the US government?

The History Channel documentaries never try to answer these obvious questions. I don't know why people today always miss the most obvious questions and skip over them. So weird.

Why do I always see obvious questions that everyone else misses? Is it because I have aspergers and only aspergers are able to see things that others don't because the masses are dumb and don't see obvious things that only aspergers people see? lol

JamaicaninChina
Freshman Poster

Take a ride through the streets of Saipan a few minutes before the 7pm COVID curfew: familiar landmarks, a beautiful sunset, Saipan facts and trivia...share with those who miss home!

BONUS: If you hang out until (or jump to) the end, I'll treat you to one of my favorite songs--a beautiful track I used to play to end my Reggae Riddims radio show way back when I was "Sir Walt" the deejay on WKCR-FM, New York!