What I get for $100 bucks a month in Chiang Mai, Thailand

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
newlife
Freshman Poster

What I get for $100 bucks a month in Chiang Mai, Thailand

Post by newlife »

I just moved to Chiang Mai from Pattaya and it has met all my expectations. It's even cheaper than Pattaya. I found this place for about 3500 baht a month(~$110). Comes with free internet. Pretty good value if you ask me. :)

The weather is quite cool here in CM. I don't even need to use air conditioning, so my electric bill is almost nil.

Restaurants are great value! I dined tonight at a neat roadside restaurant with my Thai wife and it cost just 200 baht(~$6.50) for the two of us. This place is a real bargain.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

That´s a bargain. Really nice.
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Post by Twobrains »

Congratulations on your bargain! Of course you are getting the Thai price, not the farang price, because your wife can negotiate.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Very very nice Newlife! I'm also looking to get to CM sometime this year as I've only heard praises about it. What are you doing there? Are you just taking it easy or are you also doing a muay thai camp? this is what I'd be looking at doing. Did you sign a long term lease on that deal like say 12 months or shorter one?
Camp38
Freshman Poster

Post by Camp38 »

I concur nice find and that rental price is unheard of in terms of the quality and location compared to anything in the US. It is no wonder CM is considered the number one expat retirement spot. I am also planning a recon trip, possibly in April after Songkran. CM would obviously be a spot to investigate. I would be curious to know what the farang rate would be and if they have any monthly rentals available?
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Wow, thats an excellent deal. If you can hook up expats with an apartment like yours you could probably start a new career as a Thai real estate agent, unofficially of course(under the table).
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

That is an awesome price man way to go. i looked myself just now to see the real price for studio's just like yours. it is on average $291.50. ofcourse that is around $300 dollars even. overall that is a price someone could find in nevada las vegas. oh yes that is the farang price. so $100 dollars is a damn no brainer. congratulations !!!!.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Wow I could live somewhere like that. Thanks for sharing the photos!

And on "farang price", well I got fed up with paying foreigner price for everything in Shanghai. When my girlfriend bought some apples they were more expensive than in England!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

How are you getting the foreigner price in Shanghai? Do you speak Chinese? This has never happened to me, and certainly not my girlfriend. I've actually gotten stuff free just because they were, I guess, happy to talk to a foreigner.

The only time I ever got quoted a foreigner price was during my first week there, trying to buy a stainless steel pot. I knew that price was outrageous and called my local friend. She told me to walk out of that join immediately. Now I can have a basic grasp of the language I can't escape a place without staying and chatting a while, getting free cigarettes and sometimes free fruits and vegetables. It's even better outside Shanghai. I was in one shop and, while my girl was shopping around, the boss gave me a box of expensive cigarettes and I stayed there chatting with him and the other staff that joined in until she finished getting her stuff.

When my girlfriend goes out alone she says everyone always asks about me.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
CerealKiller
Freshman Poster

Post by CerealKiller »

xiongmao wrote:Wow I could live somewhere like that. Thanks for sharing the photos!

And on "farang price", well I got fed up with paying foreigner price for everything in Shanghai. When my girlfriend bought some apples they were more expensive than in England!
Didn't realize that you lived in SH before xiongmao. From what I recall, apples aren't exactly the best choice if you want bang for the buck. There are so many other delicious fruit in SH that I can't remember if I ever bought apples there.

BTW if you don't fancy farang pricing, better stay away from Thailand. Pricing here will drive you up the wall....