What to Wear in the Phils

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
goodfellas1990
Freshman Poster

What to Wear in the Phils

Post by goodfellas1990 »

Any body know what clothing style is popular in the phils? Do you see a lot of 20 somethings over there wearing flat bills and skinny jeans. I want to know so I can buy a wardrobe and look trendy. I want to be able to pick up bitches and look like a boss you know?
I'm a 22 year old Entrepreneur moving to the Philippines in September. I want to swim in aqua blue water, live like a boss, and be surrounded by beautiful girls.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

If you wear slacks, loafers and a collared shirt, you'll be better dressed than 99% of the westerners there.
goodfellas1990
Freshman Poster

Post by goodfellas1990 »

When I went to Russia, 99 percent were better dressed then me. Not that they wore suits, slacks, and that kind of stuff, but because they dressed more trendier than me.

So that therein lies the problem.
I'm a 22 year old Entrepreneur moving to the Philippines in September. I want to swim in aqua blue water, live like a boss, and be surrounded by beautiful girls.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

ktownkid23 wrote:When I went to Russia, 99 percent were better dressed then me. Not that they wore suits, slacks, and that kind of stuff, but because they dressed more trendier than me.

So that therein lies the problem.
You definitely won't have that problem in the Philippines :lol:
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Hero wrote:If you wear slacks, loafers and a collared shirt, you'll be better dressed than 99% of the westerners there.
Absolutely! I wear shorts everywhere but many of the locals wear slacks. You don't have to worry unless you are groomed poorly. I would say that cleanliness and grooming is valued there. But even then I have seen plenty of exceptions; butt ugly, poorly groomed Western guys with girls on their arm.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

davewe wrote:Absolutely! I wear shorts everywhere but many of the locals wear slacks.
You may not be able to dress as locals do with slacks.

In Colombia all the local men wear long pants.

All year round.

In 95 F heat and blazing sun.

You will probably wear shorts, just to survive.

Try wearing jeans in summer heat and sun like that, all year.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

When you find a Filipina that likes you, you won't be wearing anything! Until then, I suggest sandels, shorts, t-shirt, hat and take a bottle of water everywhere you go.
Raja
Freshman Poster

Re: What to Wear in the Phils

Post by Raja »

ktownkid23 wrote: I want to be able to pick up bitches and look like a boss you know?
If you want to look like a boss then wear dress shoes, slacks and a button up shirt, short sleeves are known as a polo shirt locally. If you want to look like a tourist wear shorts and a t-shirt, or what we would call a polo shirt along with "rubber shoes" or sandals
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

The more dressed up you are in PI, the more intimidating you are to the women here for the most part. It's best to just dress casual or whats in style rather than dress like your trying to impress or like a slob with Hawaii shirt and shorts. If you live in the heat year round your body gets used to it and you can wear pants without major issues. I have problems more with sweating on my upper body, especially back. So a light weight t-shirt is best, button up shirts aren't that great here unless it's specifically made for tropical weather.

I've tried all three ways and just dressing casual with a bit of hipness or uniqueness is best to attract women here. Always wear nice shoes though, women notice that shit all the time. So don't wear sneakers or sandals, you look like a retard doing that. Also buy something that makes you smell good, too many dudes smell like ass and sweat here and the girls notice for sure.

Word to your mother, yo....
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
PaulB
Freshman Poster

Post by PaulB »

Slim fitting shirts/jeans are popular here but hats/caps are not, except in the jologs culture (hiphop wannabe gangsters). H&M and Uniqlo are good options if you have branches near you.

Once you get here, take a trip to HK or HCMC and get some bespoke dress shirts made. Just be sure to pick 100% cotton fabric (Italian, ideally) as it breathes well in hot weather.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

How hot is it in the Philippines? I've been to nearby(ish) HK and Guangzhou. Last September I spent the first 2 days in Guangzhou just sweating!

After that I felt really great and lost loads of weight. Part of the reason I want to move to that part of the world for a while is to lose a lot of weight and get my fitness back.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Manila area is usually between 32-36 degrees Celsius depending on time of year.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Mr S wrote:The more dressed up you are in PI, the more intimidating you are to the women here for the most part. It's best to just dress casual or whats in style rather than dress like your trying to impress or like a slob with Hawaii shirt and shorts. If you live in the heat year round your body gets used to it and you can wear pants without major issues. I have problems more with sweating on my upper body, especially back. So a light weight t-shirt is best, button up shirts aren't that great here unless it's specifically made for tropical weather.

I've tried all three ways and just dressing casual with a bit of hipness or uniqueness is best to attract women here. Always wear nice shoes though, women notice that shit all the time. So don't wear sneakers or sandals, you look like a retard doing that. Also buy something that makes you smell good, too many dudes smell like ass and sweat here and the girls notice for sure.

Word to your mother, yo....
Agree on all of this, though nice sandals do work. I think you have to be comfortable otherwise you'll die and that won't get you any girls :)

But like anywhere else it depends where and when. A nice restaurant in Manila isn't gonna be the same as a beach area. I wore slacks a few times when I went out at night. Mostly I took queues from my girl: if she was dressing up I put on slacks and a fresh tshirt :)

Totally agree on the grooming and smell. Multiple showers daily.
PaulB
Freshman Poster

Post by PaulB »

Mr S wrote:Manila area is usually between 32-36 degrees Celsius depending on time of year.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

PaulB wrote:
Mr S wrote:Manila area is usually between 32-36 degrees Celsius depending on time of year.
Well these graphs can be misleading cause it doesn't say exactly where the readings are being taken from and what area specifically. Cause the temp can change depending on location in a city, especially as large as Manila area. Also the weather is a large factor in regards to how hot it feels. The humidity makes it feel much warmer than temp indicates. So yeah, it may drop down to 25 degrees Celsius in the dry season if the stars and planets align properly between Dec-Feb. It may drop below 30 after a rain storm but once it's over and the cloud cover is gone the temp goes right back up rather quickly. Extreme low from my experience in Manila would be around 25 degrees and high would be 37. Basically throughout the year it stays around the lower 30's, after a rainstorm it may be upper 20's. This is my experience living here 7+ years. Also when they average temps they probably take into account the night as well. Most people commute and do their thing during the day when the sun is out and its fairly hot. Obviously once the sun goes down it is much cooler but most people are in their houses or sleeping when temps drop to their coolest levels.