Laos kicks cracks down on degenerate drunken Aussies

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Laos kicks cracks down on degenerate drunken Aussies

Post by zboy1 »

I know how E. Irizzary always likes to talk about how he wants to keep secrets of other countries from being disseminated among travelers because he wants to keep countries from being invaded--and ruined--by foreigners. I guess here's a perfect example of that below:

Drunken Aussies and their lewd and crude behavior has forced to Laos to crackdown on tourism:
When Laos opened its doors to tourism, it wasn't prepared for the problems that followed. As the government cracks down on party culture, businesses dependent on tourism are worried for their livelihoods.

"They could have stopped half the deaths if they brought in control," explains Steve Sampson, a local business owner. For several years his bar was a hot spot for the swathes of backpackers attracted to Vang Vieng by its elaborate rope swings and risky riverside stunts. But following numerous deaths, these attractions are a distant memory and the local economy is suffering because of it. "If they used their brains and controlled it then we'd have no problems and all of the Laos people would be happy because we're making money." But some are happy to see the party come to an end. "We don't want them getting drunk and going crazy," explains a local. "We want to teach them our culture."

The End of the Party - Laos
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1iKRQ-g ... ture=g-u-u[/youtube]

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

In the end, this will only help the Lao tourism industry by dissuading drunken, drugged-out imbeciles from ruining the country and bringing in much higher-quality tourists to the country instead. I wish more countries followed Laos' example to be honest.
Everdred
Freshman Poster

Post by Everdred »

If you're interested in this topic, you should check out the two articles below by CNNGo. Both of the articles are a pretty good read if you're interested in Laos and/or Southeast Asia.

Vang Vieng: Backpacker heaven or hedonistic hell?

and

Is the party over in Vang Vieng?

According to some people who've been in Vang Vieng for a while, this whole idea to transform Vang Vieng into a more sanitary place is somewhat unlikely to happen. Apparently the local government always comes up with these ideas to "clean up Vang Vieng," but they never follow through with their ideas. This is a common phenomenon in Asia and other developing countries - having these great plans, but never putting them into action. I guess we'll see what happens.

I'll be going to Laos for the first time this December. I'll be stopping in both Vang Vieng and the capital, Vientiane. I'll be in Laos for a good 10 days or so, and I'll make a trip report on here if I can remember.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I look forward to your report Everdred!