10 Reasons Why Taiwan Sucks For Social Life, Dating and Fun

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
gits
Freshman Poster

Post by gits »

I'm amazed that more people in Taiwan don't get hit by cars, or killed for bumping into the wrong person

Every person here walks around so self-entitled that a guy like me who looks at the horizon to plan my steps gets f***ed every step of the way with random people looking at you and reacting in what would be perceived as a racist, aggresive, f**k you move

I don't usually complain about Taiwan, but every person I spoke to yesterday (In Chinese) either 2nd-guessed me or just out-rightly talked to me so condescendingly that I wanted to kill someone.
Gits Ferrari's Latest Blog: Horny Guy in Taipei http://hornyguyintaipei.blogspot.tw/

Not SARS Just Sex! - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/SARS-Just-White-M ... s+just+sex

The Oil Sands of Alberta - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/The-Oil-Sands-Alb ... of+alberta

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Momopi,
You are right that I spend too much time whining about Taiwan. But my family is here. I can't avoid it. What I'm doing is exposing the TRUTH about Taiwan on the web, since no one else will.
1. You don't have to live with your parents or stay in TW to write this stuff. You can write whatever in China or any other country. If you choose to stay with your parents for economic reasons, then how different is that from working at a job that you hate just for the money? Either way you put yourself in unhappy situations for the money. My parents are in Taipei, do you see me live there?

2. Taiwan is easily accessible by plane for few hundred bucks. Anyone who wants to see Taiwan can simply buy a ticket and go see for themselves. TW is not for everyone. I left Taipei and refused to move back because the place is bad for my health. Others might like the place better, find love and have a happy ending. My HS and college classmates did. Good for them.

3. In place to lengthy rants, try this: "Contrary to what you might have seen or heard, Taiwan is not an easy place to date women. Over 400,000 Taiwanese men have imported brides from abroad as testament to their difficulty in meeting women and finding a spouse in Taiwan. We hope that you'd enjoy your stay in Taiwan and find happiness. But should you find yourself unhappy in Taiwan, we strongly encourage you to follow the example set by over 400,000 Taiwanese men and seek greener pastures abroad."

As a marketing major such as yourself, you should be aware of how easy it is to lose the customer's focus when you present too much information in front of them.

Winston wrote: Btw Momopi, those videos you posted of performing artists on stage mean nothing. Try to talk to those performers when they are offstage, and you will be in for a shock, when you see that they are even COLDER and more SHIELDED than American girls are. At least American girls know how to be fake friendly, whereas these Taiwanese girls cannot.
Winston wrote:a) First, Taiwanese females simply do not like being introduced to male strangers (unless they are desperate, but if that's the case, then they are likely older and/or unattractive). Instead, they prefer to meet guys through the clique of friends that they grew up with and went to school with. So if you didn't grow up in their "circle", then you are pretty much "out". And if you are "out", the bad news, as you might have guessed, is that their "cliques" are NOT inclusive at all.
(snip)
e) Fifth, to things worse, in the few nightclubs and discos that exist in Taiwan, guys always outnumber girls. Every girl is with a closed group of friends, male date, or "Jimmy" which is a male friend in her clique that shields her from outside strangers. This of course, pits the numerical odds against you. As in the US, there are many guys competing for a few girls. But these girls are not even open to talking strangers, as already mentioned.
As mentioned previously, I attended CSU and the dancers in our troop were in my social circle. Obviously, the social opportunities for young 20y old attending university in LA/OC or major TW city is different from a middle-aged goldfish uncle. A good looking young college guy chatting up a girl at school might face a 3 foot tall wall, vs a middle-aged goldfish uncle on the street will face a 20 ft frozen wall with burning lava moat. I donno what clubs you went to, but when we had our inter-college parties with TW/CN/JP student groups, we rented the club and shut the door on outsiders. That was how I meet my ex's from different schools, yes we do mingle and exchange #'s. Looking at the TW university events, I think they rent the whole club too. Keep in mind that not every weekend is a party, as college students don't have THAT much money.

Common sense should also tell you that if it wasn't a private/exclusive event, you'd have guys from everyone trying to get in to hit on the college girls and turning it into a sausage fest. By shutting the door, we had a fairly balanced gender ratio. We also had to exclude VN student groups, through few friends are OK, because the TW/CN girls strongly disliked the competition from Vietnamese girls. It's a rivalry thing since high school around here. I have old photos from college where you see 2 happy Taiwanese girls posing, then when my Vietnamese friend was in the middle, the smiles went away. If you think it's unfair, racist, anti-old people, and cliquish; that's exactly the intention and it benefited those on the inside.

If you feel bitter for being left out, or suspect that the Asian kids at your college went to party without inviting you (I still think you went to the wrong school), well, us CSU groups weren't invited to the UC & USC parties either. Yup, us CSU kids in our Honda Accords weren't cool enough to hang out with USC kids in BMW's. If by chance they were to invite anyone from our group, they want the girls and not the guys. Do you see me write pages of repetitive rants about being left out, then play the lame fox and say "well those b*tches are probably cold fishes in bed anyway! Who needs them!" ? No, that would be lame and sour-grape-ish.

USC/UCLA/UCI tri-college party, what we were NOT invited to:

==========

Winston, I'll tell you what one of my mentors taught me over 20 years ago. He was a local RE baron (owned several shopping centers and apartment buildings) and played in a band on weekends. I once asked him about choosing band members based on talent. He replied that it was more important to choose members who were team players and got along great with others. He said it was easier to teach someone how to play music than it is to change their non-team player attitude, or try to fit in someone who simply didn't get along with others.

As early as 2008, you were already ranting about how incompatible you were with Taiwan and Taiwanese. By now you should have realized years ago that you simply do not fit in as a member of the band. If I had thought that you could succeed in the band, I wouldn't have bothered to tell you to go to China years ago. You've been ranting about TW for 5 years now (2008-2013). Are you going to stay in TW and aim for the 6th year? I hope you're shopping for a camcorder for your trip to China, and not because you want to record videos of "cold stand-off Taiwanese women" to somehow prove your point, while you stay in TW for another 5 years and rant about how much you hate the place:

viewtopic.php?t=17073
Winston wrote: What if I have to live here someday to take care of them?! I'd go fricking crazy and become suicidal! All because of their HORRIBLE CHOICES IN ALWAYS PICKING THE MOST MISERABLE PLACES TO LIVE! f**k!!! WHY AM I SO UNLUCKY?! f**k!!! WHY DOES FATE ALWAYS PICK THE MOST INCOMPATIBLE PLACES AND PEOPLE FOR ME?! I AM 1000 PERCENT IMCOMPATIBLE HERE IN EVERY WAY! f**k!!! Does God like mixing matter and anti-matter? WTF MAN?! WHY WHY WHY?!
=============================================================================================

gits wrote:I have recently started working in an office in Taiwan.
When people arrive, I try to say "ni hao" and they grunt. They sit at their desk and don't talk to one another. Office life in Taiwan is hell.
Why choose to sit in hell for 8+ hours/day? You can do better.
Last edited by momopi on January 4th, 2013, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

I’m still waiting for you to come out with your “Sucks Guidesâ€￾ to countries. These would be like Roosh’s Bang Guides to countries. Like his “Bang Ukraineâ€￾.
Taiwan Sucks!
Philippines Sucks!
USA Sucks!
Russia Sorta Sucks!

You could do a Grand Guide to many countries comparing how they suck. You could specify which ones suck worse in which areas! I think they’d be very popular, because there are a lot of disgruntled guys out there who don’t like some of these counties either. I’m eagerly awaiting your first country guide!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Momopi,
You are right that I spend too much time whining about Taiwan. But my family is here. I can't avoid it.

What do u have to follow your family around even as a self supporting adult? Your excuses are BS. So why don't I have to stay with my parents? Why am I free to live the HA lifestyle as I please? You are showing your true colors. You are more Asian inside than you realize, not the free thinking independent European you fancy yourself as.

I wish you would get the hell out of Taiwan! You don't belong there. Most young people there don't like you, don't wanna talk to you, and don't wanna see you. They would bid you good riddance if you were to leave. You just rant your life away there like a raving lunatic. How stupid is that? And how ironic coming from the founder of HA.

You really are behaving foolishly!
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Winston

you are 40 year old man making enough money online who could live anywhere in 3rd world..you are not 10 year old needing parents..

you used to be ballsy adventurer, true pioneer...

is it possible as we age we get more passive,insecure and avoiding risks as much as we can?
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

you will not change TWese girls, they are what they are...even if you were tall, fit handsome looking man it would still be a challange at your age to pick up young girls in their 20s...you have to be realistic,

only place where you can have success with young girls is PH,

scrw east asian chicks, they are cold, distant, insecure, emotionless expressions on their faces, how the fk can anyone be romantic with ghosts...compare them to affectionate brazilian or colombian chicks....
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Note: I've just updated this article by adding reasons #8, 9 and 10. See the OP for the additional reasons. Thus, there are now 10 reasons. hehe

The reason I added more is that I just realized a major reason and factor that I forgot to mention before. I'm sure Outwest, Ryanx, Keepingitreal, and Gits can relate to it and know what I am talking about. Here it is:

8. Taiwanese people have extremely COLD and UPTIGHT body language, demeanor and expression. I don't know about you, but I find it very hard to relax, be happy or even be myself around people who look so uptight and anal. It kind of "rubs me the wrong way" is how I would put it. I guess if you are cold and uptight yourself, you may not see anything wrong with it, since they are the same as you. But if you are not, then it can be very awkward to be around people who are, especially if you come from a culture where people are not like that at all. The point here is that being constantly surrounded by very cold uptight people is obviously not conducive to happiness, fun or relaxation at all.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Banano wrote:you will not change TWese girls, they are what they are...even if you were tall, fit handsome looking man it would still be a challange at your age to pick up young girls in their 20s...you have to be realistic,

only place where you can have success with young girls is PH,

scrw east asian chicks, they are cold, distant, insecure, emotionless expressions on their faces, how the fk can anyone be romantic with ghosts...compare them to affectionate brazilian or colombian chicks....
Exactly my point! This isn't about my age. That's just a f***ing excuse. Even when I was really young, people were stuck up and cold to me. In college, people were antisocial too. I just don't fit in and Murphy's Law tends to follow me.

Even if I were 20, the problem is that I don't fit in. And even worse, like I said above, the standard COLD UPTIGHT body language of Taiwanese and East Asians RUBS ME THE WRONG WAY! I can't relax or be myself around it at all. How can I?! This is about a MAJOR PERSONALITY CONFLICT. Not about looks or age.

It's not about looks. In Taiwan I see ugly nerdy guys everywhere with girlfriends! I just do not fit in at all with people who are extremely cold and uptight. How the f**k am I supposed to act around people like that? How am I supposed to be myself? How am I supposed to relax and be happy? WTF?!

I have no idea how Rock tolerates Taiwan, or why he likes to live there. Rock is an individualist too, who does not fit into "cliques" or group conformity or hive minds. He is not cold or uptight either. So how does he fit in? I don't know. I guess the guy is an anomaly.

Honestly Rock, even though you are a likable, engaging, down to earth guy, sometimes I wonder if you are insane. How can you possibly recommend Taiwan as a "happier abroad" destination in spite of all the big major obstacles above? And in spite of the extreme cold and uptight body language of people here, which is unnatural and inhuman? And in spite of the fact that nice, honest innocent people like me suffer here for no reason. WTF?

You also go to the USA to see your family often too. I'm not the only one. But the thing is, your personality does not fit in Taiwan either. You are not cold or uptight, and you are an individualist who does not generally fit into closed cliques either. So how exactly does your personality "fit in" with Taiwan? I don't see it. Am I missing something?

Btw, I wonder how cold uptight people in Taiwan view people like me who are NOT cold and uptight. Do they think that there's something "wrong" with me because I'm not cold and uptight like them? What goes through the mind of someone who is cold and uptight when he/she meets someone who is not that way? What is their perspective? Anyone wanna take a guess?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock,
I have an interesting personality question for you.

Given that:

You and I get along ok. In person, we do not have any tension or friction or personality conflict. You are individualistic, broad minded and down to earth, similar to me. Like me, you are not the type of guy who fits into cliques or is into group think conformity either.

How is it then that you and I get along ok, yet you can get along with Taiwanese people, whereas I can't? In other words, A and B match, but A matches with C whereas B does not match with C. How can you explain that?

How is it that your personality can fit into Taiwan, but mine can't? Where does our difference lie exactly? (In terms of personality I mean, not looks or race.)

This kind of reminds me of that phenomenon in tennis where Player A can beat Player B, and Player B can beat Player C, yet Player C can beat Player A. lol

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: I have no idea how Rock tolerates Taiwan, or why he likes to live there. Rock is an individualist too, who does not fit into "cliques" or group conformity or hive minds. He is not cold or uptight either. So how does he fit in? I don't know. I guess the guy is an anomaly.
"Tolerate" in this context implies that he is putting up with, or enduring an undesirable or unhappy situation.

Perhaps you should ask "is Rock happier abroad in TW (or Taipei)" first.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Rock,
I have an interesting personality question for you.

Given that:

You and I get along ok. In person, we do not have any tension or friction or personality conflict. You are individualistic, broad minded and down to earth, similar to me. Like me, you are not the type of guy who fits into cliques or is into group think conformity either.

How is it then that you and I get along ok, yet you can get along with Taiwanese people, whereas I can't? In other words, A and B match, but A matches with C whereas B does not match with C. How can you explain that?

How is it that your personality can fit into Taiwan, but mine can't? Where does our difference lie exactly? (In terms of personality I mean, not looks or race.)

This kind of reminds me of that phenomenon in tennis where Player A can beat Player B, and Player B can beat Player C, yet Player C can beat Player A. lol
I don't know. Perhaps we are different in another key aspect. You are more outgoing than me and expect attention from others. When I go out and about, I am in my own world and like to be left alone to read my books or analyze the world from inside my head, as an invisible observer. I don't want contact cus I am shy and introverted by nature. And Taiwan is so safe, especially Taipei city. People leave me and my things alone and I can totally relax all the time, day or night no matter where I go. The only exception to me being quiet and anonymous is when I spot a girl I want to meet and go into pick-up mode. Then if I get up the courage, I will try to engage her w/my bag of tricks.

Now I'm in the Dominican Republic. I like it here too cus so many girls are tall with big curvy butts. But this place is super outgoing and I feel stressed walking around. Strangers often engage others and strong eye contact and close proximity is the norm. People yell and shout out, horns are honked, and people walk erratically. I am constantly on guard to avoid being robbed, walking at night is not doable in most parts. I have to watch my stuff all the time cus some people here will go at great lengths to steal a second hand phone, even if it means stabbing you. O, and one form of transport is public cars and they will fill the back of a car with 4-5 people which means you sometimes end up with a pretty girl half sitting on your lap. But people here seem to think nothing of it and often chat with each other along the way. Sometimes girls are very flirtatious too and when you go out on a date, lots of subtle touching seems to be pretty normal. Girls are comfortable in their own skin. Much like Russia in that regard. But, the over stimulation and safety issues here tires me and puts me on edge.

Divide Taiwan girls in 2 ways:

- eye contact and engagabilty

- ultimate scorability

Regarding the first one, many people want more engagement. But not me or Monkro. As for scorability, let's just say I had my fun like I never could in US or UK. I popped my HA cherry in Taiwan, lol.

BTW, Monkro is ramping-up his game. He absolutely loves life in Taipei and told me he me want to establish long term residency. He told me he's been hit on 3 times since I left and 2 of those are girls in their early 20s and third late 20s and all were hot and slim. He also has a long pearl list and has gotten intimacy on some of his dates. He's visiting States for New Year but will be back in Feb if you wanna talk to him.

Also, I'm surprised that Gits is suffering now. I wonder why he has stayed in Taiwan so long if he doesn't like it anymore.

Finally, about the parents. When I visit them, I live in my condo and they live in theirs, albeit in the same neighborhood. I get together with them for dinners and to go out sometimes. But these visits are only 3-4 weeks per year and I genuinely like visiting Florida. So I don't use my parents location as an excuse not to go the countries I wanna go to. And anyway, its for less than a month a year. Why don't you apply a similar model?
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

So I have two questions. For you, is it worse in Taiwan or in the United States?

Secondly, is there anything that ties you to your parents other than the fact that you save money and it is easier?

I HAVE A CHALLENGE FOR YOU

You are merely $100 in travel costs away from Mainland China. I know from experience. In April of 2012, I went in the reverse direction. I took a ferry from Xiamen to the closest Taiwanese island. And then i booked a $50 flight to Taipei.

YOU DON'T NEED TO MOVE TO CHINA, JUST GO VISIT

If you would like tips on what to do, where to go, you can just ask. The cost of living in China is not high either. And if your preference is Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc, you can ask for a compare & contrast between the countries.

Personally, i think that you would do ok in China. Your age and looks will not be a barrier like in Taiwan. Attractive women will be happy to meet you. But it will take a little work in China, but i think you will be much happier with the results.

Then, if you don't like China, you can always return back to Taiwan. Or if you get homesick for Chiayi or your parents, you can just book a ticket back home. If it is too difficult financially, you could teach English. In fact, i met a Taiwanese American guy when i was in Chengdu last year and he knew a lot of beautiful women and everyone knew him in the bars.
Last edited by celery2010 on January 4th, 2013, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Re: 7 Reasons Taiwan is not good for social life, fun, roman

Post by celery2010 »

OutWest wrote:Winston-

You are not one of the boys at a club. You are entering middle age, and most places, the life of a middle age man is quite different than the dating/courting prospects of young men. Whatever the reasons, there are some places that older men can do better, especially if they make an effort.The Philippines is one of those as you know.

From here on, Taiwan and most other places will totally suck for you. You are deluding yourself to think otherwise. So take one of the world's exceptions and make the most of it. If you come back to the Philippines, don't do something dumb like go to AC! That is a grimy soulless rut. Branch out...get a little apartment up in Baguio and shake things up a bit.Leave hot and sticky AZ whoretown behind.

Work to double your online income...by that time your life should be much improved...

Some food for thought...

Outwest
I agree with Winston that age is not an issue or a barrier to meeting women.

I am also 40 and Asian, and i don't think that being 40 is a barrier to meeting women. Many asian men can look virtually the same as they did when they were in their 20's, if they choose to.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote:I don't know. Perhaps we are different in another key aspect. You are more outgoing than me and expect attention from others. When I go out and about, I am in my own world and like to be left alone to read my books or analyze the world from inside my head, as an invisible observer. I don't want contact cus I am shy and introverted by nature. And Taiwan is so safe, especially Taipei city. People leave me and my things alone and I can totally relax all the time, day or night no matter where I go. The only exception to me being quiet and anonymous is when I spot a girl I want to meet and go into pick-up mode. Then if I get up the courage, I will try to engage her w/my bag of tricks.
From western psychology perspective,

Extroverts gain energy from social interaction. They prefer to interact with/in groups instead of one-on-one, and they have circles of friends rather than few close friends.

Introverts lose energy from social interaction. They prefer one-on-one interactions rather than group setting, and tend to have few close friends.

Shyness (diffidence) is the feeling of tension and discomfort when interacting with new situations or with unfamiliar people.

Hmm.

Rock = shy introvert?
Winston = unshy introvert?

"In group" Taiwanese = shy extroverts?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yes Momopi, Taiwanese are shy extroverts. I was going to tell you that before too. An introvert thinks for himself and isn't into groupthink. He/she has an inner life. Typical Taiwanese are nothing like that of course. But they are not outgoing with strangers either, but cliquish. That technically makes them "shy extroverts".

Maybe the whole introvert/extrovert model is flawed and just a stereotype? Typical Taiwanese do not fit into either model.

They are an anomaly. Most of the world is not like Taiwan at all. Being cold and uptight is not natural. The group smiles in your photos Momopi, look fake and repressed. They don't look open at all. It's hard to put into words what I mean. Some things are difficult to describe in words.

In any case, how can someone like me who is not cold and uptight, fit in with people who are very cold and uptight? There's no possible way for us to vibe. There's no way I can relax or be myself.

Do people who are cold and uptight know that they are cold and uptight? How do they view people who are not cold and uptight? Is this why Taiwanese think that Americans are more "open and expressive" than them? Japanese think the same.

Others have noticed how cold and uptight Taiwanese are, including Outwest and several others.

Rock:

Would you be happy in Taiwan if no girls talked to you or they just flaked on you?

Do you feel like you can be yourself in Taiwan?

Are you saying that you don't talk to strangers everyday? And that you only do that around me because I ask you to?

Celery:

Yes I know all that. I'm not stupid. The problem is that I have OCD and am obsessed with finishing work I was supposed to finish 2 years ago. If I don't finish it now, I will have even more later. That's my problem, having OCD and being a perfectionist. It's hard to explain.

Definitely I would do better in China. Even though people have said mixed things here about the openness of Chinese people, the bottom line for me is this:

The women in China I correspond with (on QQ and on the phone) are FAR FAR FARRRRRRR MORE enthusiastic and engaging with me than in Taiwan. They are happy to talk to me on the phone regularly, and are more enthusiastic and treat me as if I were something special. Sure, some of them have flaked and been cold and rude too, but I can always find some girls that are not like that.

There are a few women in Taiwan that like me. Rock has met them too. But they aren't my type as much.

I'm almost done with all my work anyway. I'm planning to just pay JamesBond to extract and upload the rest of my videos, which was supposed to be done long ago. And maybe an editor to organize my ebook for publishing.

I had a big to do list and it fills me with anxiety that some items have been there for years. I do the work of three people and have little stamina left. The problem with me is not a matter of money or distance. It's about me being a perfectionist with OCD. I've explain that before.

Banano:

Yes I am still very gutsy and outgoing, but the environment in Taiwan makes me feel fearful and insecure, since everyone else here is that way. It rubs off on me. It drains my energy and makes me feel weak. I'm not allowed to be myself here at all. It's similar to the US but even worse. I can't flirt or hit on girls. It feels illegal and criminal. And I have no idea how to act or behave around people who are totally cold and uptight.

If I were in Russia now, I would be very different. I would be fearless and casanova-like with girls, because the environment there ALLOWS me to be who I am, as I've explained before. As I've said all along, it's all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

Therefore, I haven't really changed. I'm just in a totally different world.