Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia: What's the scoop?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Post by Rocky Top »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
xiongmao wrote:Yeah just take Air Asia. There is also (I think) a train from KL to Penang. There's definitely one to Singapore, and also a bus.
I took the train from Bangkok all the way to Singapore - not for a visa but to take the Jungle Line. Cost a whopping 670 baht plus 400 baht for the taxi from the Thai border to the Malaysian train station.

If I go to Laos again, the last place I want to go is where all the border runners are going.
That sounds interesting... I did a Google search and found this.

http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Sing ... _-_Bangkok

Seems like this may be a very doable option.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Thanks. I will send this list to my Mum and tell her that all her concerns about SEA have been right all along:
Amok (also 'amuck' or 'amock')
out of control, especially when armed and dangerous; in a frenzy of violence, or on a killing spree, 'berserk', as in 'to run amok'....

Bamboo
from bambu...

Cooties
from kutu, 'lice'...

Gecko
from geko,gekok...

Gong
from gong, a metal disc with a turned rim that gives a resonant note when struck...

Orangutan
from orang hutan or 'people of the jungle'...

paddy
as in 'paddy-field' or 'rice paddy', from padi, referring to the rice plant Oryza sativa....

Sarong
from sarung, 'wrap/sheath'...
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Rocky Top wrote:
xiongmao wrote:Yeah just take Air Asia. There is also (I think) a train from KL to Penang. There's definitely one to Singapore, and also a bus.
I took the train from Bangkok all the way to Singapore - not for a visa but to take the Jungle Line. Cost a whopping 670 baht plus 400 baht for the taxi from the Thai border to the Malaysian train station.

If I go to Laos again, the last place I want to go is where all the border runners are going.
That sounds interesting... I did a Google search and found this.

http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Sing ... _-_Bangkok

Seems like this may be a very doable option.
Obviously it's doable, I did it and I'm sure many others have as well. It's not exactly an exciting ride but the scenery is nice at times.
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Post by Rocky Top »

Rocky Top wrote:
xiongmao wrote:I went to Malaysia on my visa run. Kuala Lumpur was pretty good. Not too big, not too crowded, and with a good transport infrastructure. Definitely a good place to find a Chinese wife, without the hassles of the mainland and all that entails. Also probably a good place to find an expat job.

Costs wise it was pretty much identical to Thailand.

Hats off to them for making it easy to visit, and get a long duration tourist visa.

P4P was more underground except in ChinaTown where it was pretty obvious. No idea on costs, I kind of went to KL to have a rest from the Bkk nightlife.

The major downside was the price of alcohol - this might or might not be a problem for you.
The place being a Muslim state didn't really worry me. The Chinese there pretty much do their own thing.

Pengang is worth a visit, never heard anything bad about it.
I've read mainly the complaints about the prices for alcohol, but that doesn't really bother me too much. I'm probably still going to drink my fair share regardless, but I don't want that to be a reason to mark it off the list.
It's funny. I just read a post on RooshV that was complaining about a 330 ml bottle of beer costing about one British pound (about 12 oz for $1.62).

Is that what most people call expensive beer? :?

To me, that is pretty reasonable unless you are used to drinking PBR in the US.
Rayn
Freshman Poster

Post by Rayn »

Malaysia is a terrific destination if you fancy being a tourist. I will fully recommend this place with my whole heart.

But as for finding women and settling down.....ppffft. Let me give you a hint. There is a good reason why my country's flag greatly resembles the US.

:lol:
Winston
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Winston »

September 11th, 2013, 3:39 am

Huh? I don't understand something. Isn't Singapore an island in the middle of the ocean? How can you get there by train from Bangkok? I'm confused. Am I missing something? Or are we in alternate universes? lol

Hope you return here again sometime Scott. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Re: Re:

Post by Johnny1975 »

Winston wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 8:56 am

Huh? I don't understand something. Isn't Singapore an island in the middle of the ocean? How can you get there by train from Bangkok? I'm confused. Am I missing something? Or are we in alternate universes? lol

Singapore is like Hong kong. It's right next to the mainland.

https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/ ... e_map2.htm
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Re:

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 8:56 am

You can use Google maps and look at street view. You can see the buildings in Johor, Malaysia from across the straight in Singapore. I knew there was a bridge. I didn't know about the train, but it makes sense given how close it is to peninsular Malaysia.

Singaporeans probably came out really well separating from Malaysia as a distinct state way back when. We don't know what would have been, but they could have been under the thumb of the Malay people and had to deal with the preference for Islam, etc. and the biases that Malaysia has. KL's development looks pretty good, but they do not seem to be as advanced as Singapore.