Where next for Xiongmao... South Korea, Vietnam or... Where?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Where next for Xiongmao... South Korea, Vietnam or... Where?

Post by xiongmao »

Hi guys,

I gotta take a couple of weeks vacation in Feb/March and I'm not sure where to go.

I'd love to go to Japan again, but I might leave that for now as I could go there to teach/study later in the year.

Looking at Expedia Vietnam and South Korea are very affordable (costing around the same as a trip to Thailand would cost).

So where should I go? Vietnam has good food but I'd probably get fed up with the motorbikes and rain.

South Korea is a little visited country, but Seoul could be bitterly cold that time of year. According to Wikipedia it could be anything between +23 and -15C.

Has anyone been to South Korea? I like Korean food and the Koreans on my course in China were very friendly. But I'm not sure how easy it would be to do stuff without knowing any of the language at all.

I don't really have any plans to do any dating in these countries, but I'll certainly check out the women for you guys! Also I would like to check out both countries as they have possibilities for teaching English.

P.S. Yes I will go abroad again for longer, but due to family commitments I gotta wait till at least September.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Where next for Xiongmao... South Korea, Vietnam or... Wh

Post by Rock »

xiongmao wrote:Hi guys,

I gotta take a couple of weeks vacation in Feb/March and I'm not sure where to go.

I'd love to go to Japan again, but I might leave that for now as I could go there to teach/study later in the year.

Looking at Expedia Vietnam and South Korea are very affordable (costing around the same as a trip to Thailand would cost).

So where should I go? Vietnam has good food but I'd probably get fed up with the motorbikes and rain.

South Korea is a little visited country, but Seoul could be bitterly cold that time of year. According to Wikipedia it could be anything between +23 and -15C.

Has anyone been to South Korea? I like Korean food and the Koreans on my course in China were very friendly. But I'm not sure how easy it would be to do stuff without knowing any of the language at all.

I don't really have any plans to do any dating in these countries, but I'll certainly check out the women for you guys! Also I would like to check out both countries as they have possibilities for teaching English.

P.S. Yes I will go abroad again for longer, but due to family commitments I gotta wait till at least September.
Come-on man. I've been to Seoul in the winter and it's dreadful! The only interesting thing to do is ski and by late Feb or March you're probably a bit too late for that. Go to Vietnam and get a break from the London cold. It's easy, cheap, and delightful in HCMC. If nothing else, a holiday should at least be break from Farangland cold.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Re: Where next for Xiongmao... South Korea, Vietnam or... Wh

Post by Traveler »

Koreans spend a ton on English education. I wouldn't worry too much about the language barrier. I'd still prefer to vacation in Vietnam. Vietnam has better weather, is less homogeneous than Korea (Korea can look the same no matter where you go), and the people are more friendly and less xenophobic (at least in the south).