How would an Asian American do with Thai women?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Malcolm Z
Freshman Poster

How would an Asian American do with Thai women?

Post by Malcolm Z »

Would they look at us as Farangs?
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: How would an asian american do with Thai women

Post by chanta76 »

It depends..if you look like a local thai guy....they assume your local but if you look Chinese, Japanese or Korean.,you can be consider farang. Usually local thai guys tend to be darker and have more of a malay look...where as north asian tend to be lighter..skin and different features.

If your handsome ..your handsome...don't let the western expat confuse you..there are fair number of thai girls who do find asian men attractive. but you have to be handsome asian guy..w
Malcolm Z
Freshman Poster

Post by Malcolm Z »

Aren't there a lot of ethnic Chinese people in Thailand though.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

As Ladislav, Repatriate, Rock and Pete have mentioned many times before in this forum, Asian American men do quite well in Thailand. So, go buy a plane ticket and enjoy.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Re: How would an Asian American do with Thai women?

Post by tamdrin12 »

you will do fine.. Look do yourself a favor and don't ask such general questions on a forum such as this. The only way to find out is to go and try your luck... I don't think Thai's will be prejudiced against other Asians. I think they like Koreans and Japanese and all that
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

zboy1 wrote:As Ladislav, Repatriate, Rock and Pete have mentioned many times before in this forum, Asian American men do quite well in Thailand. So, go buy a plane ticket and enjoy.
First time I went to Bangkok I was 39 years old. I'm also 6'4" and Scandinavian so for those Asian ladies that are into white guys I'm right up their alley. I remember walking into an optical store to buy some new sunglasses. I could tell that the salesgirl was intrigued with me by the way she was acting. I purchased the glasses and I was standing there flirting with her when all of a sudden, her female supervisor swooped over like a hawk and started chewing out the salesgirl in Thai. My guess the conversation went something like, "don't you dare flirt with a farang either in the store or in public because you don't want your reputation tarnished blah blah blah."

So even though she was into me, my chances of getting a date were slim. This even happens with bar girls. They have a very big preference to go with Asian guys because of the same reluctance to been seen in public with a white skinned farang. This reluctance will trump any and all emotions that she has for a non Asian man. I'm not saying it's impossible for a farang to date a Thai lady, but it's going to require some luck and work.

Asian men do not face the same degree of persecution so the game should be wide open to you in Thailand!
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

pete98146,

Do you look down on Asian men?asian people? From reading your post you come across as this tall big white guy with superiority complex.. and that all asian women wants you.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

chanta76 wrote:pete98146,

Do you look down on Asian men?asian people? From reading your post you come across as this tall big white guy with superiority complex.. and that all asian women wants you.
Chanta, Pete is cool. I don't think he's a White supremacist. He's just talking about his experiences in Thailand. And, it's true! Thailand is very friendly towards other Asian groups such as Koreans, Taiwanese and overseas Asian men.
Freshman Poster

Post by 262 »

Don't let this limit you, but the stereotypical sex tourist in SE Asia is an old, out-of-shape, badly-dressed white guy. Also note that you can change two of the four things I just mentioned.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

zboy1 wrote:
chanta76 wrote:pete98146,

Chanta, Pete is cool. I don't think he's a White supremacist. He's just talking about his experiences in Thailand. And, it's true! Thailand is very friendly towards other Asian groups such as Koreans, Taiwanese and overseas Asian men.
Sorry you get this impression of me Chantra. Nothing could be farther from the truth. First off, I'm married to an Asian lady and there is little doubt I'll retire in Asia so why would you think I look down on them? I think perhaps you are misunderstanding what I'm saying here. I am stating dating in Thailand can be tough sledding for white guys.

BTW, I have white friends that claim I'm an Asian stuck in a white person's body...LOL.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

First of all, no person of East Asian descent would ever be a "Farang" in Thailand. "Farang" is a term strictly reserved for white people. Even if you're a Farang on the inside, you will still be referred to as a Khon Jin (Chinese), Khon Gao-li (Korean), Khon Yii-pun (Japanese), and so on, not as a Farang.

This is not the case in Laos. In Laos, a "Falang" (Laotians say "l", not "r") is a foreigner of any race, particularly non-ethnic Thai or Lao.

It's not as simple as "Thais like all NE Asians and hate all whites." Thais love NE Asians who have Thai-like mannerisms and can assimilate well in their society. Japanese usually score highest on this, and mainland Chinese the lowest. The average Farang in Thailand has very few of these traits, and they are stereotyped as trashy barbarian brutes who are useful for money, so Thais are still really polite to their faces, but say derogatory comments about Farangs behind their backs. Ladislav nailed it in his previous posts.

These (racist) attitudes are deeply ingrained throughout Thai society, not just among the upper class. Even dark-skin Isaan women who usually date Farang men have told me that they would much rather prefer me (a young Taiwanese American) over a Farang. They say various things about Farangs to me in Thai, such as how Farangs are crazy and stupid, despite being the very types of women that Farangs go out with all the time. It's not because they prefer Farang men, but because most Asian men see them as too ugly for their tastes, and so have to turn to Farangs out of necessity.

But despite these statements, upper-middle class whites who are well-dressed and well-educated are respected by the Thai middle class, and sometimes they even end up intermarrying. Against, it's about how Thais perceive these guys will fit into their society.

And South Asians, Africans, and neighboring Southeast Asians rank even lower than Europeans. Tourists won't see much of this, but long-term expats from these backgrounds end up feeling highly resentful of local Thai prejudice against them.

I would even say that the most racist countries in Asia are Thailand, Cambodia, and Myanmar. These Theravada Buddhist countries are more laid-back, but there's a lot of xenophobia and prejudice deeply ingrained into their societies. They do smile a lot, but that is often meant to convey various emotions including disdain, embarrassment, or anger. This is something many Westerners don't get. Smiles in these countries are highly contextualized and often do not mean they're actually happy.

If you don't want to experience these anti-white attitudes, go to the Philippines.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

You have to ask what sort of westerners go to Thailand? You have these hippie/backackers who try to live on $2 a day doing some online shit and then you have old, fat,unattractive and jaded types.

Its hard to imagine successful, handsome professional going to Isaan to look for love, it makes no sense.
Its nor surprising Thais are looking down on whites
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Thailand being anti-white or being racist? You got to be kidding me?!

Way back in 2000 I traveled around Thailand (I'm KOrean by the way) because I look Asian about half the time they assume I was Thai until I open my mouth. I notice with the white guys they are sometimes treated better just because they are white...where as the few times the locals thought I was Thai and treated me as one of there own.

I think part of the reason why some Thai girls prefer to be with an Asian guy (CHinese , Korean etc..) is because it's harder to tell if she is a bar girl with an Asian men. The stereotype in Thailand is that any white guy with a Thai girl is that she is a bar girl. Plus I do see white guys acting like assholes in Thailand ..it;s like for the western expats in Asia there are level of douche bags..and the Philippines and Thailand gets the worst douche bags follow by maybe South Korea, Japan and China.

The thing is white guys think just because they are white they have this superiority complex over locals Asians and act likes dicks for the most parts.
Lorenzo
Freshman Poster

Post by Lorenzo »

The answer, simply put, is yes you should do fine. I had a lot of experience with normal Thai women and came close to marrying one. You will be judged by most thai women as follows:

1. Are you sincere? or, are you a player?
2. Do you appear neat, clean, well dressed, and well groomed?
3. Are you caring, honest, responsible?
4. Do you have a good job and a stable situation
5. Are you attractive and within a reasonable age? Are you taller than the average Thai?
6. Do you want the same out of life?
7. Are you funny?

Thailand has changed a lot over the years. It is fashionable to have a foreigner BF if he is a "good man".

The country where you come from does not matter much, other than many Thai women wish to have mixed race babies with a farang. But, they would jump at a chance for a Korean or Japanese man if he seemed decent. Being American Asian is a plus unless you are Filipino or dark skinned. Guys with tattoos or blacks are less welcomed. The complaint they have with Thai men is about their infedilty.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

chanta76 wrote:Thailand being anti-white or being racist? You got to be kidding me?!

Way back in 2000 I traveled around Thailand (I'm KOrean by the way) because I look Asian about half the time they assume I was Thai until I open my mouth. I notice with the white guys they are sometimes treated better just because they are white...where as the few times the locals thought I was Thai and treated me as one of there own.

I think part of the reason why some Thai girls prefer to be with an Asian guy (CHinese , Korean etc..) is because it's harder to tell if she is a bar girl with an Asian men. The stereotype in Thailand is that any white guy with a Thai girl is that she is a bar girl. Plus I do see white guys acting like assholes in Thailand ..it;s like for the western expats in Asia there are level of douche bags..and the Philippines and Thailand gets the worst douche bags follow by maybe South Korea, Japan and China.

The thing is white guys think just because they are white they have this superiority complex over locals Asians and act likes dicks for the most parts.
Because they're tourists, and Thais are good at being very polite to people with money who are here short-term. Just because they're soft, polite, smiling a lot, and giving you good service doesn't mean they like you; in fact, behind that smile they might actually really hate your guts. Anti-white racism is more than obvious in Thailand if you know the language and what Thais are thinking. The anti-white racism in Thailand is not like in Australia where they just hurl ethnic slurs at you in the street.

Thais are highly proud of their own country and people and will usually treat their own better than foreigners. Thailand is the complete opposite of the Philippines in that foreigners are not worshiped as gods.