Questions about teaching English in China

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Questions about teaching English in China

Post by GoingAwol »

I have applied for English teaching jobs in China through a recruiter called "On The Mark" and they seem interested in offering me a position in Beijing. They offer a free 60 hour TEFL training certification and the salary is between 1900 and 3000 USD per month. They also give 1200 USD for start-up costs (I'm assuming for accommodation) and the same amount or more a year for flight allowances. Since i'm brand new to teaching, i'm assuming I would be making the minimum salary of 1900 a month.With the start-up money in mind too, Is that enough to get decent accommodation and provide a relatively comfortable lifestyle in Beijing? Is Beijing a good place to live and teach? Thanks
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Questions about teaching English in China

Post by xiongmao »

Sounds good - I lived in Guangzhou a couple of years ago and spent around $1000 a month (I think).

I wouldn't be happy with Beijing though, it's either too hot or too cold and the air pollution can be bad. And I prefer Southern Chinese ladies, although the Beijng airport assistants are really hot.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Thanks for your response. When you were spending 1,000 a month were you living well or being very frugal and watching every penny? They seem desperate to have me and I'm seriously considering taking the job. This could be a great opportunity to get my foot in the door.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

You can use this real-time interactive map of air pollution to help you decide where to work.

http://aqicn.org/map/world/
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Beijing would be a good place to train and start your teaching career, but I wouldn't stay there long term. The pollution there and cost of living is too much. I suggest someplace like Hangzhou, Chengdu, or somewhere in Guangdong province for a better, long term environment. I would love to teach in Zhuhai as I think it's the best city in China! Also, if you're really the explorer type, I heard Northeastern China can be interesting, although very cold! Some HA members have taught in that area.

Anyway, if you do come to China, please keep in touch with me, as I know some other HA'ers in China, now. If you have Wechat, I can give you my ID so that we can communicate.