Filipinos vs. Thais - A Cultural Comparison

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Filipinos vs. Thais - A Cultural Comparison

Post by Winston »

A great post in our FB group. He didn't post it here, so I'll do it for him.

Filipinos vs. Thais - a Cultural Comparison

An opinion and observation.

Most Filipinos would not place themselves in the same category as Thai people. They usually don’t know much about Thailand. And it is the same with the Thais. They know very little about the Philippines.

However, many Western people and also, N. Asians, when they talk about SE Asia, say: “Thailand and the Philippines” as if these were sister countries.

How are they similar and why do they get dumped in the same category by many outsiders?

First, to Western and N. Asian eyes, Filipinos and Thai people physically look very similar, if not the same.

The culture appears to be also quite similar. Yes, of course, a Filipino is Hispanized and Americanized to an extent, but they are still SE Asians in most of their culture and being.

To wit:

It is very hard to tell an average Filipino face from a Thai face. When Thais see Filipinos, they often think these are ethnic Lao from N. E. Thailand.

Even though many Filipinos think that they are “ Spanish” and “ Americans”, they really look very much like Thais. Except that the Thais generally do not have wavy hair and they have zero white blood. Many Filipinos, otoh, do.

Both are mild mannered and even-tempered and do not get emotional or angry easily. It takes a long time to wind them up, but when you do, they lose control and lash out in anger. Then, they can do things which can include even harming another person. After they cool off, it’s often already too late.

Both have the concept of face and “ hiya” ( shame). In Thailand, the word is “ai kau” To lose face is very bad. It goes for all activities in life. So, what you really do is not as important as what you appear to be doing.

Both place social harmony above all else. Thus, both are very tolerant of others. At least on surface. They tolerate differences of opinions and they tolerate others’ mistakes.

Conflict avoidance is more important than proving oneself right. Thus, negative emotions towards others are released from distance and behind those people’s backs. There are no heated discussions or arguments. Except secretly as gossip campaigns.

Both dislike criticism. It’s just not part of the culture. So, if others do bad things, or if bad things exist, they just don’t criticize and don’t complain. Except in secret and as gossip. They just tolerate them.

Any criticism or even a suggestion that “ you should” is seen as an insult, and they often respond by finding something negative in the criticizer and attacking him. They just can’t take criticism or suggestions well.

Both often have the belief that problems should be ignored, and instead, one should concentrate on the positive and just talk about positive things. Problems will go away by themselves if you disregard them. Just smile and enjoy and endure things.

Both include silence into communication. For example, it is common to witness long stretches of silent behavior. People go out or sit and eat and there is no talk, no questions. Nothing. Thais are more like that, Filipinos - a bit less so. This makes Western and N. Asian people uncomfortable. But SE Asians, in general, can just say nothing, ask nothing, and just sit there silent and not have a discussion of any kind. They can just smile and again, be quiet. Long pauses do not make them uneasy.

Both use the stratagem “ I was just joking” after they say untruths- to save face. Also, telling untruths is very common in daily lives and in dealings with other people. They just see it as ways to avoid conflict and maintain harmony.

Both do not find it improper to ask personal questions or to talk about another person in third person while that person is sitting in front of them.

In both nations, social prejudices seem to get stronger as you move up on the social ladder. The poorer, the more accepting and more tolerant; the richer and more educated, the less tolerant. An exact opposite of Westerners. Uneducated Westerners can often be very bigoted, but as they get educated and move up, they become more open minded. In case of these two SE Asian countries, poor common people seem to be way friendlier than the richer and educated ones.

As far as mingling with other races or foreigners, it is the poorer people in both countries that seem to do it more readily. Which is the opposite of the USA where poorer people as a rule stay away from other races or foreigners- whom they often despise.

You rarely see an educated Thai married to a white person. Same with Filipinos, by and large. Educated Filipinos seem to prefer other Filipinos. Otoh, educated Americans seem to mingle and even marry other races and foreigners more easily.

The main differences:

Thai people do not worship the West or America, except materially. And even then, they prefer to follow the Chinese model of capitalism, not the American model. They do not like to emigrate except some who do, to make money, but most still prefer to live in Thailand.

They don’t like the English language that much. An educated Thai becomes even more Thai because of his education.

Otoh, the more a Filipino becomes educated, they more he/she becomes closer to Americans in thinking and action. This creates a bit of a ambivalence inside of a Filipino because he/she, as a SE Asian, still strives towards social harmony and conflict avoidance. But Western culture thrives on difference in opinions, on criticism and disagreement.

But a Thai does not seem to have this problem as he/she is happy to remain Thai and act Thai. They are taught that their culture is great and pure because they were never colonized.

As far as other races and cultures, the Philippines provides many “ hooks” to which almost any foreigner can latch on to. Americans will find the US culture to hook up with, Arabs will find the Muslim culture to associate with, etc. There is a long history of absorbing outsiders-even if it is not perfect.

In Thailand, only East, North and SE Asian people can fit in well. Whites, blacks and Indians are on the outside most of the time. They are always foreigners. Many Thais dislike other ( not Oriental) races and want to avoid them. You can hear bad remarks daily, plus the body language shows it. There are also many establishments where non- Oriental people are not welcome. They don’t feel comfortable around you, that’s just the fact. They will, of course, deny it as they will say, it is because of the language, but even if you learn the language, it often makes things worse. They find it strange and still feel ill at ease around you.

This is not an absolute, but the Philippines is way less prejudiced against other races overall. There are way fewer bad, racial remarks heard, for one. There is also greater diversity in ethnicity, while Thailand is more monolithic ethnically.

Filipino people also have more body contact whereas in Thailand they touch less and are more standoffish overall.
Having said the above, the Philippines and Thailand are still very similar when looking from the outside. I would even go as far as to say that if a Western or N. Asian wants to understand Filipinos, he/she should stay in Thailand for one year. He/she will be able to understand the “soul” of any Southeast Asian way better that way.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Re: Filipinos vs. Thais - A Cultural Comparison

Post by IraqVet2003 »

Very interesting post!!!!
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Great post. I will be moving to Thailand April 30th.

One way ticket never looking back.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Good observations Winston. Can't disagree with anything that you've said.

Being married to a Filipina but yet spending all of our vacation time in Thailand I can relate to much of what you say. What's often times unfair is that all non Asians are labeled as sex tourists until you can prove otherwise. When I'm out at dinner with my wife, the server will always come to my wife because she does look very Thai and attempt to talk to her. They are always on guard because they see a younger Asian lady with an older Western man so they assume the worst. Once they determine that she's A) not Thai and B) we are married, our level of respect in their eyes goes up 10 fold and you visually see them relax, smile and loosen up a bit.

But you can't blame the Thais for being a bit uptight about the sex industry. In fact there is a HUGE push to move most of the P4P over to Pattaya and every time to go to Bangkok I see change. You an compare and contrast the Nana area which for many years was "party central" in Bangkok. When I used to go 10-15 years ago it had a real circus like feel to it. Now modern day, a lot of the old buildings that catered to the sex tourist have been torn down and replaced with non descript condos. They are doing their best to white wash this, to them, eyesore and they are succeeding.

Instead, you see a huge push to market their city to the new king of commerce, the Chinese. It's a win win for the Thais because the Chinese will come in and spend as much if not more money than the sex tourist and there is no loss of face to the city. LOL the Chinese present a different set of problems for the Thais but for the most they are tolerated by the Thais who will keep them at arms length but accept their new money all day long.
What happens if you are a sex tourist that wants respect from the Thais? It's not always an easy sell but you can minimize the damage by wearing nice clothes then going out and not dragging your rented Thai girlfriend around with you in the day time. Or better yet, just go to Pattaya so you don't have to worry about how you are treated by the Thais.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Very good observations. Lets just take this a bit further and Imagine, if White's becomes Majority in Thailand and Philippines. That's what a White Man's greatest Wish is Now :lol: :lol: as OP says people need to live in Thailand for a year...Lets say, there are many white people in Thailand now.

What would be the implication if White's have Equal Rights as Thai's and have become a Majority.

1. Taxes would go up.

2. The leech aka Jews would not be far behind

3. The parasite's aka Blacks would start immigrating more, as white race is the only ones who can tolerate blacks on earth.

4. Corporation's would take over. 1000s of regulations to close Mom and Pop shops.

5. Bullying.

6. When I went to Thailand, All white owned bars rejected me, did not allow me in their Bars because I was Indian. Racism will rise.

7. New diseases would take over.

8. Everything would look beautiful, the roads would be clean, infrastructure would be smooth to hide the darkness that is ready to pounce on your soul like in America. Outside would be beautiful but inside rotten. Things would move efficiently but still you will feel miserable :lol: :lol:

9. All gogo bars will shut shop as Fake Poison religion aka Christian Values would be imposed on local's.

10. Insurance would go up, Medical Expenses would rise.

11. Lots of NGO, Charity would show up to "rescue" girls.

12. Hate on ladyboys would rise, the usual hustle and bustle of street life would be shut down as its not ORDERLY.

13. Mcdonalds, Hooters, KFC..All Junk food corporations would buy up main street and force people to eat poison..which is happening a lot more..Just last month two Hooters, the biggest in Asia opened up in Thailand taking up Prime Space and 90% of white people sitting there.

14. Taxi's would use meters - BUT You won't feel like going out as white man has killed all happy fun places for more law and order and women's rights :lol: :lol:

In one generation. The country would be destroyed INTERNALLY but Externally, It would look so beautiful, everything on time, Things would work well but yet you will remain miserable and suicidal.

White Race is expert at comparing things, pointing at the flaws and good points of other races but they never imagine what would happen, if they jump into the mix..NO THANKS :lol:
Last edited by starchild5 on April 22nd, 2016, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

HappierAbroad is the Anti-thesis of Th & Ph by promoting these two heavens to western countries.

Women are already becoming bitchier ...Low Race Indian's like me with less money has no chance in Thailand now and good Philippines is slowly evaporating thanks to White Race, Indians, Chinese coming in droves.

Winston actually believes White Race can meaningfully contribute to Th & Ph when they should actually be learning from them. Which I have not seen from a single white guy. His Intention was good, but did not realize what would happen if more White Race comes into SEA.

Has anyone seen Dumaguete in Philippines..It has become mini White land with all expats, gated communities, good roads, clean beaches and no soul.

Even I don't like myself in these two countries as Indians would go slimy, cheat and backstab. Indians are not good people, we show our bad behavior at some point. Indian race is big A** just like the Chinese with their smart brains and greedy money oriented culture.

Its so much to learn from these two countries. I try to learn from them. In-spite of all their struggle's they remain friendly, happy and smiling aka THEY HAVE Earth SOUL ..We don't.

The heart of mother earth lies in SEA. The old Atlantis was South East Asia. Don't destroy it with your mind.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

Winston please check out this article:

7 REASONS WHY FOREIGN MEN LIKE PHILIPPINE WOMEN
http://www.viral4real.com/7-reasons-why ... pine-women
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

pete98146 wrote:Good observations Winston. Can't disagree with anything that you've said.
I didn't write that post. I pasted it from our FB group. The author there wishes to remain anonymous for some reason.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Obviously a post from Ladislav. :D Well done.
The culture appears to be also quite similar. Yes, of course, a Filipino is Hispanized and Americanized to an extent, but they are still SE Asians in most of their culture and being.
I don't see how they're similar. Thailand and the Philippines are like day and night, apples and oranges. There are a few similarities due to being in the same geographical region, but otherwise they're not similar at all.

Thais are definitely hardcore Asians who share more cultural similarities with Chinese than with Malays or Filipinos. Growing up as a Taiwanese American, I had an easy time adapting to thinking and living like a local Thai. It was second nature to me.
Personally I see myself fitting in better with Thais than with Filipinos, which is the opposite of what most Westerners would say.

The bubbly, extroverted personalities of Filipinos just don't seem Thai at all. They're quite American, and a bit reminiscent of parts of Indonesia too.
On the other hand, Thais behave the most like Taiwanese and Japanese, and not very much like Vietnamese or mainland Chinese.
Citizen
Freshman Poster

Post by Citizen »

Falcon wrote:Obviously a post from Ladislav. :D Well done.
I don't see how they're similar. Thailand and the Philippines are like day and night, apples and oranges. There are a few similarities due to being in the same geographical region, but otherwise they're not similar at all.

Thais are definitely hardcore Asians who share more cultural similarities with Chinese than with Malays or Filipinos. Growing up as a Taiwanese American, I had an easy time adapting to thinking and living like a local Thai. It was second nature to me.
Personally I see myself fitting in better with Thais than with Filipinos, which is the opposite of what most Westerners would say.

The bubbly, extroverted personalities of Filipinos just don't seem Thai at all. They're quite American, and a bit reminiscent of parts of Indonesia too.
On the other hand, Thais behave the most like Taiwanese and Japanese, and not very much like Vietnamese or mainland Chinese.
You hit the nail on the head, Falcon, night and day. That is exactly what they are. You know your stuff, man.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Filipinos vs Thais

-ANSWER-

Some Filipino chicks are marriage material.
Whereas Thai chicks are not.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Winston wrote:
However, many Western people and also, N. Asians, when they talk about SE Asia, say: “Thailand and the Philippines” as if these were sister countries.

How are they similar and why do they get dumped in the same category by many outsiders?

I have never heard anyone refer to Thailand and the Philippines as if they were sister countries. They are not similar and anyone who has spent even a week or two in each would not see them as similar.
Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

Devil Dog wrote:
Winston wrote:

I have never heard anyone refer to Thailand and the Philippines as if they were sister countries. They are not similar and anyone who has spent even a week or two in each would not see them as similar.
Because both are terminal locations for sex tourist. To the point that a US Ambassador to the Philippines made the diplomatic mistake of his term saying that 40% of men going to the Philippines were going as sex tourist
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Whatever You Do,
DO NOT MARRY A BITCH FROM THAILAND!
They are the most unfaithful CUNTS in the f***ing world!
-LOOK IT UP ASSHOLES-
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ul-5188791

You are not going to change their f***ing culture because you are a great guy. She will always be an unfaithful CUNT. If you keep her from being unfaithful she will be a vindictive miserable CUNT.

If you are stupid enough to marry a Thai bitch, enjoy having no rights if you live in Thailand or America.

-THAILAND IS AWESOME!-
You can f**k and chuck girls like nowhere else. There is no "Child Support". Bitches in Thailand just want to f**k around and have a bunch of bastard children.

Thanks and Enjoy :)
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Johnny you need to post something asap. Your post count is 666.