Cebu city is quite nice

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Cebu city is quite nice

Post by Johnny1975 »

I've heard over and over that Cebu is ugly. It is. The central part that is. It's not the ugliest place on earth but it definitely should be nicer. But As I've travelled around the whole city (courtesy of Google Earth Airlines) I've noticed that outside of the centre, it's actually quite lovely. There are nice residential areas, pretty streets, not too run down for the most part, and overall it looks like a good city. It would be better if there were more general shops and amenities (rather than just sari sari stores), but it's not bad at all.

If they improved the central part, I think it would be a great city. They should build an artificial beach too, right in the centre. I think Cebu has a lot going for it, if only they would make an effort. If I lived there it would definitely not be in the centre. Also I've noticed that in all city centres in the Philippines, you don't really see much of the kinds of things you'd expect, like bars, restaurants, cafes, clothes shops, and a few fancy things, tree lined streets, nice buildings, bright colours, squares, buses, trams, etc. It's like they don't really care to make the place look good.

But most of the rest of the city is really not bad at all.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Cebu city is quite nice

Post by Taco »

I don't recommend going to Carbon market its not a safe place to be anytime of the day, lots of addicts looking for someone to rob.

Tops lookout is good, its up on the mountain overlooking the city. SM seaside mall is supposed to be good although I haven't been there yet.

Tops Cebu
http://www.beyondcebu.com/cebu/tourist- ... /tops-cebu

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_CY9ahX-xs[/youtube]
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Taco wrote:I don't recommend going to Carbon market its not a safe place to be anytime of the day, lots of addicts looking for someone to rob.
Tops lookout is good, its up on the mountain overlooking the city. SM seaside mall is supposed to be good ...
There are plenty of places you can visit in Cebu, I think, Mountain View is better than Cebu Tops, however wherever you go, you often have to pay entrance fees, safe places have to be guarded and are private property. Tao Temple is free and offers also a nice view.

Avoid squatter areas located up to hills. Plenty of criminals full with drugs and street children, fraternity gangs and such useless people are living there, but no problems with Muslims or Communist New People Army members etc.

Carbon Market is a questionable place, but nearby Sto.Nino Church, Cebu Cathedral are OK, places around shopping malls are often terrible, but inside the mall area it is OK, for example Ayala, these malls are very large and a good place to get away if weather is bad.

Mactan is also not bad either, you can visit the typical sightseeing spots by day without being worried or visit some beach resort.

I never had a problem in Cebu City area, but I am careful and usually away from the streets at 9:00 PM, it is getting dark, most shops are closing at that time. My hotel I am using since years has restaurant, garden and swimming pool up to midnight, no need to go out during late night.

About common sense, don't carry a lot of money around, ATMs are everywhere and are functioning well.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

I've never stayed overnight in the city - just passed through a number of times. I do like the area northwards between Danao and Bogo. Very picturesque.

The cities I like best in the Philippines are Dumaguete, Puerto Princesa and Olongapo. Puerto Princesa in Palawan apparently has very little crime too.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Johnny1975 wrote:I've heard over and over that Cebu is ugly. It is. The central part that is. It's not the ugliest place on earth but it definitely should be nicer. But As I've travelled around the whole city (courtesy of Google Earth Airlines) I've noticed that outside of the centre, it's actually quite lovely. There are nice residential areas, pretty streets, not too run down for the most part, and overall it looks like a good city. It would be better if there were more general shops and amenities (rather than just sari sari stores), but it's not bad at all.

If they improved the central part, I think it would be a great city. They should build an artificial beach too, right in the centre. I think Cebu has a lot going for it, if only they would make an effort. If I lived there it would definitely not be in the centre. Also I've noticed that in all city centres in the Philippines, you don't really see much of the kinds of things you'd expect, like bars, restaurants, cafes, clothes shops, and a few fancy things, tree lined streets, nice buildings, bright colours, squares, buses, trams, etc. It's like they don't really care to make the place look good.

But most of the rest of the city is really not bad at all.
I don't remember many remarks that Cebu City is ugly - it's not. However between the traffic and pollution it's just not a place I would consider living. Visiting - yes; living in - no.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Yes, Cebu is nice but it's not quite as easy to pick up girls there anymore. When I went there for the first time in 2006 I had no problem dating gorgeous babes in their 20's. When I went again in 2012, I got the cold shoulder a lot more.