Typical foreign-Thai couples in Chiang Mai

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Typical foreign-Thai couples in Chiang Mai

Post by Falcon »

Here is an overview of the typical foreign-Thai couples that you will encounter daily in Chiang Mai. Northern Thailand is a more laid-back upcountry place seen as a great place to retire, and generally attracts a different type of expat than Pattaya, Phuket, or Bangkok does.

In Thailand, most older white men settle down with Thai women in their 30's, more than half of whom already have children from past relationships, although once in a while you do see some mixed-race children. The average age gap is around 20. Typical white man - Thai woman couple I see in Chiang Mai:

- Divorced white man in his 50's-70's (baby boomer generation)
- Divorced Thai woman in her 30's or sometimes even 40's (generation X)

I see these general patterns (observed from among dozens of couples generally seen doing grocery shopping at department stores in Chiang Mai).

- Thai woman in her 20's : usually with white man in his 40's
- Thai woman in her 30's : usually with white man in his 50's-60's
- Thai woman in her 40's : usually with white man in his 60's-80's

Both usually already have had their own biological children from past relationships.

The pattern here isn't exactly half your age plus seven, but it's not really that far off from it.

Origins
Men: Most are from the Germanic-speaking NW European countries, such as Scandinavia and the German-speaking countries. Some are from the Anglosphere (UK, US, Canada, Australia, NZ). There is a very notable lack of Southern European, Eastern European, and Latin American men.

Women: Some are Northern Thai, but many are Isan (both Northern and NE Thailand are "red-shirt country"). You can tell by the languages they speak and even by their looks oftentimes. There is a notable lack of Central Thai and Southern Thai women ("yellow-shirt country").

Other observations
- The man will be on either a retirement visa or marriage visa, which are both 1-year visas renewable annually, and require hefty cash deposits in Thai savings accounts. Or, the couple may be living abroad, and comes back to Thailand for 1-3 months during the winter season.
- Many have presumably met each other via the Internet or at a massage parlor, and the women usually do not look like go-go bar girls. At least in Chiang Mai, foreign men often pick different women for P4P, and different women to settle down with.
- They will be speaking to each other in English rather than Thai.
- The man is almost always on the less attractive and more obese side, and looks like a decrepit old lizard with very white hair, a very large body size, and a very red face. He usually wears khaki shorts with long socks, running shoes, and a mismatching striped shirt.
- The woman usually isn't that attractive by Thai standards either, and sometimes, but not always, has dark skin. The woman often looks sly and cunning rather than innocent-looking, and reminds me of a witch on a broomstick from a child's picture book.

There aren't really that many foreign-Thai couples who don't fit this trend.

I'm not looking down on either. Just posting my observations here and adding a bit of humor.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: Typical foreign-Thai couples in Chiang Mai

Post by chanta76 »

How about other Asians with Thai? I hear that there are loads of Japanese men or even Chinese men in Thailand with local girls? Black or arab men too?

Are there any foreign women with local thai men?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

chanta76 wrote:How about other Asians with Thai? I hear that there are loads of Japanese men or even Chinese men in Thailand with local girls? Black or arab men too?

Are there any foreign women with local thai men?
Yes there are. But at least in Chiang Mai, unlike in Bangkok, you just don't see these other types of couples as much.

And there are some foreign women with local Thai men too, especially women from Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia. There are even Western women with Thai men.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

For the western women with Thai men . What type of couples are they like? I mean are the western women back packer travelers who happens to have a Thai boy friend?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Usually the more open-minded liberal types, perhaps the NGO or volunteering types.

I've also met a white American girl who just married a Thai boy who is actually an ethnic minority. Both are Christians involved in church missionary work.
D_Athlete
Freshman Poster

Post by D_Athlete »

edi
Last edited by D_Athlete on June 30th, 2017, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

D_Athlete wrote:How about young Western men in their 20s? What type of Thai girls are they with? Looks range, dark/white skin, age range etc of their girls.

You said Asian males and local Thai men have their pick of the hottest girls now? God, Asia is really going to hell. What are Western men going to do when all these Asian countries are rich and they're all f***ing poor, AND can't get p***y?
Valid question indeed. Being married to an Asian lady, there is still a huge demand for white skin as it's seen as a symbol of wealth and power in Asia. But make no mistake, Asian men will get 90% of the women.