Why are Hong Kong people so rude, cold, rushed, grouchy, unhappy, soulless? What's their purpose for living? Lol

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why are Hong Kong people so rude, cold, rushed, grouchy, unpleasant, soulless? What's their purpose for living? Lol

Post by publicduende »

chanta76 wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 8:01 pm
publicduende,

But getting BACK to Winston thread. South Korea or Japan or whatever..doesn't offer that happier abroad we are looking for. South Korea has problems ..so does Japan heck so does USA. We could debate to ends of earth of why. But the point is where can Winston or someone like him go to be accepted and be ok socially.

I been to South Korea many times I notice the difference in that country every time I visit. It was great 20 years ago..but nowadays..seflishness and over competition and even over westernization took it's roots.

I guess my point is where is there to go? Your in the Philippines and you wrote threads that it's not this paradise. I thought about retiring to Korea when I'm little older but now. I don't know. And reading about the Philippines and Thailand..well...I think it's just been over played by expats.
You are right, need to be back on topic. :)

The issue with Winston and those digital nomads who want to live an easy life without the burden of facing (excessive) competition in the job market, or facing it in their own terms, no country is 100% fit for purpose.

I would say the Philippines but also Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, much of SEA apart from Singapore, could offer good opportunities so long Winston, or the nomad, choose to settle in a non-metropolitan environment, where the human race for superiority and success is naturally less fierce, the pace of life is slower for locals and foreigners alike, and cost of basic living items is lower.

Yes, Davao hasn't been paradise for me because of my attitude towards life: I still want to have a company, capture some clients and make some money doing perhaps the only thing I can do (develop software). If my life attitude were that of sitting on my savings or passive income, being as frugal as possible, and living a simple life, than Davao would have been perfect, in fact better than Manila or Cebu, or any SEA capital or large city for that matter.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Re: Why are Hong Kong people so rude, cold, rushed, grouchy, unpleasant, soulless? What's their purpose for living? Lol

Post by mattyman »

It's the workoholism culture, it's on steroids in HK.

If you want to get away from workoholism then HK is probably one of the WORST places in the WORLD to go.

Look, my bro is living in Japan and His girlfriend he met is from HK, and she wants to get away from it for PRECISELY THAT REASON.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

chanta76 wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 7:14 pm
momopi,
Getting back to Winston thread. I think Winston is complaining about connection . Social connection or romantic connection. It's one thing to just work and make money. Heck that's doable. But getting a romantic relationships and becoming popular socially is bit different.
What if your ugly? short ? Heck the wrong race in that country. You can calculate and make money..I know Asian guys in America making money but they are by themselves. I also know Asian guys in Asia making money but can't get romantic connection.
I think that's what Winston is complaining about. And I totally understand. Places like South Korea and maybe other develop Asian countries. It;s very superficial. Status and looks and connection etc all matters.
Believe or not there is I think a movement even in Asia of mgtow. I know South Korea is starting to have that. Korean women are becoming waaayy too demanding but also wants equality. Maybe the same for Japan. That explains partly why there is less marriages and birth rate.

The goal and purpose of this forum is happier abroad (vote with your feet). I didn't like HK due to the heavy pollution, so I left (voted with my feet). It's not the purpose of the forum to discuss causes ad nauseam and pretend that I can implement clean air solutions.

Physical attraction is superficial. Yellow bucked tooth works just fine for chewing food, but we prefer girls with straight white teeth. When two people who are attracted to each other have chemistry and hit it off, you can talk about olive oil soap and the girl will find it interesting.

If you lack social connection you need to make the effort to build them. To take short-cut there are speed dating events, assuming you're within acceptable age range. Here's a video of one in Taipei for folks with international experience (have lived/worked/traveled/attended school abroad):

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/%E6%B5 ... =feed_text

(The above link will open Facebook and put #海外經驗X百人紅色派對 In the search bar. Just select it and hit enter to search. The first item should be the video.)

My ex-fiancé in Taipei meet her husband at one of these events. Romantic relationship is about finding/meeting that one special person and not about the general population or "most guys/girls". If your attitude is that they're all rude, cold, rushed, grouchy, unpleasant, soul-less, and that you'd never succeed due to Murphy's Law or continue to make "what if" excuses, then you'd have never taken that first step.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why are Hong Kong people so rude, cold, rushed, grouchy, unhappy, soulless? What's their purpose for living? Lol

Post by Winston »

Wow look. @Contrarian Expatriate feels the same way as me about Hong Kong. I'm glad at least someone else sees the obvious too, and isn't politically correct about it. At least we agree on one thing for once.

viewtopic.php?p=319814#p319814
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:I am in Hong Kong now Winston and I have to confess that you are correct. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I get the sense that people here function like drones.

Hong Kong, for all of its high IQ credentials, has been a disappointment. It is dirty, customer service is average at best, and it seems that this place is one big commercial hustle. The other thing I noticed for all of this place's wealth, the people have a very poor standard of living and young people wish to leave. Even wealthy people live in boxes of apartments due to the lack of relative space. People here don't seem very happy and they are furious that mainland Chinese are making the place more and more crowded.

Count me as not a fan and that will teach me to have such high expectations for a high IQ society because it means nothing here.
Well I'm glad we agree on at least one thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's sane and sees the obvious about Hong Kong - that its very cold and soulless, and the people look very grouchy and miserable and act very rude too. It's also very expensive and overpriced, which further adds to the negatives. So on top of the rudeness and grouchiness in HK, you get overly high prices as well, a horrible combo. What's good about HK then, if its very unfriendly, expensive and crowded? lol. Why don't travel sites and TV shows ever tell brutally honest truths like we do? Most people who go to HK will not be that brutally honest about these things. But then again, isn't New York City like that too?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why are Hong Kong people so rude, cold, rushed, grouchy, unhappy, soulless? What's their purpose for living? Lol

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Winston wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:42 pm
Wow look. @Contrarian Expatriate feels the same way as me about Hong Kong. I'm glad at least someone else sees the obvious too, and isn't politically correct about it. At least we agree on one thing for once.

viewtopic.php?p=319814#p319814
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:I am in Hong Kong now Winston and I have to confess that you are correct. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I get the sense that people here function like drones.

Hong Kong, for all of its high IQ credentials, has been a disappointment. It is dirty, customer service is average at best, and it seems that this place is one big commercial hustle. The other thing I noticed for all of this place's wealth, the people have a very poor standard of living and young people wish to leave. Even wealthy people live in boxes of apartments due to the lack of relative space. People here don't seem very happy and they are furious that mainland Chinese are making the place more and more crowded.

Count me as not a fan and that will teach me to have such high expectations for a high IQ society because it means nothing here.
Well I'm glad we agree on at least one thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's sane and sees the obvious about Hong Kong - that its very cold and soulless, and the people look very grouchy and miserable and act very rude too. It's also very expensive and overpriced, which further adds to the negatives. So on top of the rudeness and grouchiness in HK, you get overly high prices as well, a horrible combo. What's good about HK then, if its very unfriendly, expensive and crowded? lol. Why don't travel sites and TV shows ever tell brutally honest truths like we do? Most people who go to HK will not be that brutally honest about these things. But then again, isn't New York City like that too?
I found HK to be even worse than NYC. NY is crowded and fast-paced, but Hong Kong was way more packed with people and New Yorkers are often more friendly and engaging than Hong Kongers. I did meet some very nice people there in Hong Kong, but it takes breaking them out of a shell and they figure it's ok because I am a foreigner who knows no better than to be socially engaging.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

And it was a.s.s.-tronomically expensive there. I thought NYC had shoeboxes for condos! HK is the most congested city-slash-country I've ever visited!!!!
If it weren't for the Pakistanis in Kowloon that I made some friends with, it would have totally sucked (it still did for the most part). African prostitutes there were o'beast, slovenly, and ashy. Gross, man. Even the Chinese and HK pro's were gross there too. I'd rather live in NYC for the rest of life than to ever go outside of HK Int'l Airport but within the confines of HK ever again!!!!!!
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 8:10 am
And it was a.s.s.-tronomically expensive there. I thought NYC had shoeboxes for condos! HK is the most congested city-slash-country I've ever visited!!!!
If it weren't for the Pakistanis in Kowloon that I made some friends with, it would have totally sucked (it still did for the most part). African prostitutes there were o'beast, slovenly, and ashy. Gross, man. Even the Chinese and HK pro's were gross there too. I'd rather live in NYC for the rest of life than to ever go outside of HK Int'l Airport but within the confines of HK ever again!!!!!!
When it comes to Asia, it is Japan or Singapore as a distant second. Hong Kong is now off my list for regular travel.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 1:39 pm
When it comes to Asia, it is Japan or Singapore as a distant second. Hong Kong is now off my list for regular travel.
Very good, "Danielson". =) lol
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

All Asian metropolises are way too congested for the average European or US man used to smaller, life-sized towns and cities.

I found HK interesting, with older architecture but with a much more authentic vibe than aseptic Singapore. Singapore is generally cleaner and has more manicured green, but the fact that 30% of the HK territory is still protected green means more genuine nature (parks, woods) to be experienced, and a few minutes from the city!

The part that probably sucked for you were the people you found? The few times I was there I honestly only hung out with foreigners and expats, one or two British-born HKeses. A bit like in every large Asian city, expats are let free to live by their own rules so most of them are not as stuck up, standoffish and keen on the "work, spend, sleep" routine as the natives.

Prostitution, I wouldn't know. I went to a few bars in Lan Kwai Fong and Wan Chai and did see a few foreign girls dressed like freelancers. Didn't approach them, so can't say how their demeanour was.

Begging to disagree, I prefer HK over Singapore. With the current situation of China asserting power over it, things might be about to change radically...and that would be a massive, massive shame.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

hypermak wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 8:54 pm
All Asian metropolises are way too congested for the average European or US man used to smaller, life-sized towns and cities.
Speak for yourself, man. You cannot just hatdrop all Western men into such a myopic stereotype like that.
I found HK interesting, with older architecture but with a much more authentic vibe than aseptic Singapore. Singapore is generally cleaner and has more manicured green, but the fact that 30% of the HK territory is still protected green means more genuine nature (parks, woods) to be experienced, and a few minutes from the city!

The part that probably sucked for you were the people you found? The few times I was there I honestly only hung out with foreigners and expats, one or two British-born HKeses. A bit like in every large Asian city, expats are let free to live by their own rules so most of them are not as stuck up, standoffish and keen on the "work, spend, sleep" routine as the natives.
What in the world? You're supposed to hang out with the locals. You sound like a typical expat that leechs off of the host society and doesn't integrate into it....like the current immigration problem in Western Europe and North American. The Pakistanis I was with were locals but not local because they weren't HK people.
Prostitution, I wouldn't know. I went to a few bars in Lan Kwai Fong and Wan Chai and did see a few foreign girls dressed like freelancers. Didn't approach them, so can't say how their demeanour was.

Begging to disagree, I prefer HK over Singapore. With the current situation of China asserting power over it, things might be about to change radically...and that would be a massive, massive shame.
Meh just meh.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

June 28th, 2020, 5:54 am
Speak for yourself, man. You cannot just hatdrop all Western men into such a myopic stereotype like that.
I don't speak for everyone but I have yet to meet a westerner who loves diving into the dense traffic of Manila or Ho Chi Minh or "feel the vibes" of a thousand HKeses swarming like robot ants at a street crossing.

Maybe you do...good for you.
June 28th, 2020, 5:54 am
What in the world? You're supposed to hang out with the locals. You sound like a typical expat that leechs off of the host society and doesn't integrate into it....like the current immigration problem in Western Europe and North American. The Pakistanis I was with were locals but not local because they weren't HK people.
Many of the people I interacted with had been in town for years. "Expat" doesn't mean "tourist", in fact quite the opposite: those are people who have long-stay visas, decent jobs and salaries and can interact with fellow foreigners or locals as they please. My choice was to hang out with my friends and colleagues who were mostly foreigners. In Singapore, HK etc. I was the tourist, they were the expats. If anything I am the expat here in Manila.

How does that make me a "leech of the host society"? Words in the wind...

I don't know your lifestyle but you sound like you judge a city from the price and quality of its prostitutes. Like with @Contrarian Expatriate, your choice and judgment, but not necessarily everybody else's.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Keep in mind that claiming that HK people are grouchy because their country is oppressed by China and they've lost their culture to shopping malls, doesn't hold water and isn't a valid excuse to be rude and grouchy. Because in the Philippines, most are very poor yet they are cheerful, happy, carefree and warm. So it's about the shitty attitude of HK Cantonese people, not circumstances.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne