Chinese building quality

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Chinese building quality

Post by Shemp »

@yick or anyone else with experience in mainland China. Is this video giving a realistic or a highly slanted view of building quality in China?

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Chinese building quality

Post by yick »

Blocked on You Tube so I can't see it! :lol:

What I can tell you that work here is generally shoddy and very expensive but they're not built to last long - land that has been built on has a 99 year lease so you are buying the lease and after 99 years - the government or the province can do what they want with the land because you're just a tenant even if you have paid lots of money for a house/apartment.

They look nice enough though but not worth the price tag.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

yick wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:46 am
To summarize, video shows buildings 3 year old with concrete already falling apart, etc. Makes the whole of China look like a Potemkin village of buildings made of cardboard that will fall apart in a few years. Not surprised it got blocked by censors.

Meanwhile, my Chinese made Moto 5gs smartphone seems perfectly good quality. With 1.3 billion people, obviously lots of criminals and scammers in China by absolute number. Proper question is percentage in China compared with percentage of criminals and scammers in USA.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

Here's what I don't get.

As someone who many years ago worked in building sciences and still keeps up with trends, Chinese building methods are actually incredibly expensive in terms of material cost. They use concrete and masonry for everything, including one and two story buildings. The price of concrete has skyrocketed in recent years and is an extremely dirty building method that creates a lot of pollution.

Floors are thick poured concrete with generous rebar. Exterior walls are usually concrete block on the inside and then a layer of brick or tile on the exterior facade. All interior walls, including walls within a condo unit (eg walls that divide adjacent bedrooms) are masonry. This means concrete block, mortar, and plaster. It is actually overkill and makes it nearly impossible to economically reconfigure a unit down the road. It also means electrical, plumbing, gas, etc. needs to be in the concrete floor, so literally any utility repair requires jackhammering the floor.

These buildings should be comparable in longevity to the Empire State Building. And yet, despite the pricey construction methods of Chinese buildings, every other component of the building is the cheapest shit they can find and will start to fall apart in 5-10 years. Construction is often very fast and sloppy, and subpar concrete will be used. So the builder will save 10% and reduce the life of the building from 100 years to 30 years.

The last thing is that because of the typically Chinese mentality, they absolutely refuse to pay any meaningful condo/HOA fees for building upkeep. So rather than paying a few bucks to make minor repairs every year to extend the life of the building by decades, maintenance is deferred until there is catastrophic damage, or the building will just slowly turn to shit. It doesn't help that the government routinely comes in, buys up old buildings, and then rebuilds them every few decades, so the motivation to maintain the building is not there since it will likely be razed in the future.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

The difference between China and America is that the Chinese do just enough to get by while Americans invest a lot of effort to make sure that everything they do is unusable crap.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Shemp wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 10:14 am
yick wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:46 am
To summarize, video shows buildings 3 year old with concrete already falling apart, etc. Makes the whole of China look like a Potemkin village of buildings made of cardboard that will fall apart in a few years. Not surprised it got blocked by censors.

Meanwhile, my Chinese made Moto 5gs smartphone seems perfectly good quality. With 1.3 billion people, obviously lots of criminals and scammers in China by absolute number. Proper question is percentage in China compared with percentage of criminals and scammers in USA.
That's about right! :?