How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend?! 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is NOT friendly!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend? 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is Unfriendly

Post by Yohan »

I can only agree to what you write here, hypermak...
hypermak wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 8:09 pm
.....I think your predicament of "a single guy chatting up strangers" won't work in most countries/cultures anymore.

.....is to contact them on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, a WhatsApp group if you're lucky. They can then check your social media information, including your pictures, your posts, gauge how "cool" and "cute" you are and then decide whether they can start chatting with you.

.....Unless you are a head-turning stud, few or no girls will ever want to talk to you when approached randomly, on a street. Or they might exchange a word or two, out of politeness....

If this applies to the more "open" European countries, just imagine how it would be in Asian countries were people are naturally shier and more reserved, especially in public.

About Taiwanese looking grumpy or depressed, LOL, that's a typical Northern Asian thing I believe. Asians don't like to express their feelings, especially negative feelings, well and they like to bottle up the bad moods for the sake of not being a nuisance to those around them. Some of them would let their moods show through their body language and facial expressions. In that case it's safer to just ignore them.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that "all Taiwanese" appear in a bad mood, though. It's also true that the current global situation doesn't look great for most people. I guess Taiwan as a prime target of China's neo-imperialistic stance isn't making Taiwanese people exactly feeling relaxed.
About Taiwan and South Korea, I mentioned it here
viewtopic.php?style=1&p=342100#p342100

and here too
viewtopic.php?style=1&p=342091#p342091

In Taiwan and South Korea, their political situation is not the best, and I am really grateful, that I am here in Japan, still the better place of these 3 countries.

These countries can become very boring if you live there long-term and if you do not have a family. To be alone is not the best way to live there.

About Winston, originally from Taiwan or not, does not matter, he is facing the same situation as anybody else. No advantage for him.
Overseas Koreans will tell you also the same... Most of them are insecure too - they have identity problems, do they belong to USA, not really, do they belong to Taiwan or mainland China, not really, do they belong to South Korea, or to North Korea or even to Japan, not really....

About women, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan are importers of foreign women for marriage - especially if you are not in the big cities as a local man you have hardly a chance to meet a girl for a long-term relationship.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Re: How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend? 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is Unfriendly

Post by hypermak »

Yohan wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 11:27 pm
About Taiwan and South Korea, I mentioned it here
viewtopic.php?style=1&p=342100#p342100

and here too
viewtopic.php?style=1&p=342091#p342091
Great, insightful contributions. Thanks Heavens there are posters like you, who relay great opinions without any sense of superiority or entitlement.
Yohan wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 11:27 pm
In Taiwan and South Korea, their political situation is not the best, and I am really grateful, that I am here in Japan, still the better place of these 3 countries.

These countries can become very boring if you live there long-term and if you do not have a family. To be alone is not the best way to live there.

About Winston, originally from Taiwan or not, does not matter, he is facing the same situation as anybody else. No advantage for him.
Overseas Koreans will tell you also the same... Most of them are insecure too - they have identity problems, do they belong to USA, not really, do they belong to Taiwan or mainland China, not really, do they belong to South Korea, or to North Korea or even to Japan, not really....

About women, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan are importers of foreign women for marriage - especially if you are not in the big cities as a local man you have hardly a chance to meet a girl for a long-term relationship.
For the little time I spent in Taipei, I found it a pleasant place, but one where pressure to adhere to social norms was very palpable. Not in the iron-fist rule kind of way as it might be in China, but more in the Japanese or South Korean sense: everyone is called to work and contribute to the Common Good to the best of their abilities, lest they will receive an huge amount of "shame" from those around them.

That fear of negative peer judgment might be less toxic and dangerous than that imposed by the CPC, yet it may well be enough to plunge the average Taiwanese in a state of tension that cannot be bottled up forever. My friend Matteo was one of the more laid back people I had ever met when I hanged out with him in Italy.

When I visited him in Taipei he was jovial as usual and we spent a great couple of evenings remembering the old times in Parma. Yet, he had fully taken on board his family legacy and I could sense that his life as an executive of his huge family business was giving him a lot of worry about. He gave me the impression that that jump into his Italian past was more soothing for him that he was for me.

Reverting to @Winston, do you think the problem is with him, and not with the Taiwanese people? I don't want to assume the worst and think that nobody in Taiwan is worth approaching, becoming friends with or enjoying a romantic relationship with, no matter how hard the barrier is to break.
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

hypermak wrote:
Winston wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 7:22 pm
Hi @hypermak,
Of course if you join groups with common hobbies and interests, you will connect better. I heard there are New Age groups in Taipei too, but I haven't been to them. My parents place in Taiwan is down south, not anywhere near Taipei. But in the US I've been with hippie counter-culture groups too, like the ones from Couchsurfing, and some of those folks don't like me either, even though we have a lot of common views and are anti-establishment. I don't know why. Maybe my race? Sometimes people will dislike you for no reason and have no explanation why, they just want to exclude you, even if they are people who are part of your movement or group and have similar views. Even in expat groups, not all expats like us either. Some despise us and don't know why, of course they will always have some excuse or make up reasons to ridicule me or us here, to justify their dislike of us. But we never know why, because haters don't give legitimate reasons why they dislike someone. Haven't you been disliked or given the cold shoulder by people for no reason?

Sure sometimes Taiwanese are polite. If you came to my house in Taiwan, my parents and I would be polite to you too. But that doesn't mean much. We are talking about being a single guy and chatting up strangers, especially women and girls. That doesn't work well in Taiwan, it's taboo and against the flow. Also, not everyone is polite in Taiwan. I noticed about 1/3 have a grouchy, angry, pissed off look, like they want to scold someone or yell at you. The Greek guy I talked to above said he thinks the number is closer to 1/2. Either way, that's a very large percentage. So it's not true that ALL Taiwanese are polite. At least 1/3 or 1/2 are not. But the pro Taiwan articles never mention that and falsely assume that all Taiwanese are polite and friendly when they make blanket statements like "Taiwanese are very friendly people" but of course no one minds and no one is offended, because positive generalizations are ok but negative ones aren't. It's one of the many double standards in society. I'm sure you know why, because people like hearing positive things but not negative things, regardless of truth.

You gotta wonder though, if Taiwan is safe and nice and clean and friendly, then why do so many Taiwanese look pissed and grouchy and angry and want to yell at someone? Even Rock and I have been yelled at by Taiwanese for trivial things. My son when he was here was shocked because in the Philippines no one would yell at you just for asking simple trivial questions like "Does this machine take coins or tokens?" etc. Basic psychology says if people get pissed at little things, then they are unhappy. You were in Hong Kong right? You saw lots of people looked pissed and grouchy and yell at others for trivial things too right? It's not my imagination.

Either way, isn't it wrong for everyone on the internet to LIE and say that Taiwan is super friendly and perfect and has no rude unfriendly people? Doesn't it piss you off when everyone lies like that? We all know it's not true. So doesn't that piss you off how dishonest internet people are nowadays? Especially when you meet a lot of rude unfriendly Taiwanese in reali life? Then you get even more pissed at the lies online because you experience the exact opposite in real life. You know what I mean?

Maybe it would help hypermak, if I showed you what my definition of friendliness is. See my video series "Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind" at the playlist below. Each part is only 10 min so it won't take long to watch. This will show you upfront what my definition of "friendliness" is, and it is very different from Taiwanese fake politeness. Please watch it so you will see what my definition is and understand what I mean?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AMy16VuJlu

Btw hypermak. Sure its true that Taiwan is clean, safe and efficient. And has a blend of Japanese and Chinese culture and food. But as you know, an environment that's too sterile is dead. There's nothing to grow your soul. There's no energy to fuel your spirit or aura. No friction to heat up your life. No flirtatious energy. Only cold awkwardness and stagnation. No special memories or adventures. Nothing to write novels about. Nothing to even write trip reports or journals about. After all a safe cage does not produce any stories to write about. You see what i mean? Man does not live on bread alone.
I think your predicament of "a single guy chatting up strangers" won't work in most countries/cultures anymore. Even growing up in Italy, in a small town, I would find it easy to stop and talk to anyone who knew me, at least as an acquaintance. Talking to total strangers, e.g. girls, was only accepted (= "didn't look totally awkward") in specific places and times of the day. Lots of kids would hang out in one of the main town piazza after school and that was the perfect time to socialize and speak to that cute "friend's friend's cousin".

Growing up we had "pubs" (the Italian name for a trendy, theme bar/restaurant) and discos, where most girls went to be expressly chatted up. If you could make it through the noise and the crowd, you could have a good chance at striking a good conversation with a girl you liked, possibly leading to more.

And this was Italy in the late 90s/early 2000's. I can see things have progressively gotten harder even there. Most kids of today are hooked to their mobile phones, that's the main if not only mean to approach them. My cousins who still live in my town tell me, as a bitter-sweet joke, that the only way to draw attention to a girl who goes to the same school and they physically see every day, in the classroom or on the corridors, is to contact them on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, a WhatsApp group if you're lucky. They can then check your social media information, including your pictures, your posts, gauge how "cool" and "cute" you are and then decide whether they can start chatting with you.

Unless you are a head-turning stud, few or no girls will ever want to talk to you when approached randomly, on a street. Or they might exchange a word or two, out of politeness, and then depending on how shy they are they will make it more or less explicit that they "have to go", "have a boyfriend" and are not interesting in entertaining you further.

If this applies to the more "open" European countries, just imagine how it would be in Asian countries were people are naturally shier and more reserved, especially in public.

I would imagine your Greek friend went there as a tourist and doesn't have any points of reference yet: a friend who invited him, a work colleague, perhaps someone who sympathised with him after meeting him randomly, etc. Even if you don't live in Taipei, doesn't your Taiwanese heritage and appearance put you in a better position than him?

Have you tried getting to know girls (or people, in general) who know your family? Don't you have cousins, aunties and uncles, in Taiwan? You could maybe ask them to introduce a guy your age, or slightly younger than you, and then he could hang out with you, take you to a party or social situation where you will not be "nobody" but "so-and-so's friend" and it would be a lot easier to meet other people including girls.

About Taiwanese looking grumpy or depressed, LOL, that's a typical Northern Asian thing I believe. Asians don't like to express their feelings, especially negative feelings, well and they like to bottle up the bad moods for the sake of not being a nuisance to those around them. Some of them would let their moods show through their body language and facial expressions. In that case it's safer to just ignore them.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that "all Taiwanese" appear in a bad mood, though. It's also true that the current global situation doesn't look great for most people. I guess Taiwan as a prime target of China's neo-imperialistic stance isn't making Taiwanese people exactly feeling relaxed.
Public duende you are admonishment stop it...you get ban 2019 because you so dare negate wiseton ability for conecting people in promise land europe and you public duende are not god and wiseton is much much more likeable than you so your fails in italy can be wiseton sucess he is not you for we know wiseton has carisma and big picture visionary...

shutup your dumwit boca or you get new ban and have come back new suckpupet 20 year old italy gelato seller in same poverty province where marcos staying hoy hoy hoy
"Close mind genus more dangrous than 10,000 dumwits" - Spencer

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

"Wiseton is a very dynamic individual, what most would call a genius. He's started a movement, and only genius types can do such a thing." - Boycottamericanwomen
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

hypermak wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 9:56 am

Reverting to @Winston, do you think the problem is with him, and not with the Taiwanese people? I don't want to assume the worst and think that nobody in Taiwan is worth approaching, becoming friends with or enjoying a romantic relationship with, no matter how hard the barrier is to break.
Stop stop stop stop stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

"Wiseton is a very dynamic individual, what most would call a genius. He's started a movement, and only genius types can do such a thing." - Boycottamericanwomen
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Spencer wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 1:57 pm
Public duende you are admonishment stop it...you get ban 2019 because you so dare negate wiseton ability for conecting people in promise land europe and you public duende are not god and wiseton is much much more likeable than you so your fails in italy can be wiseton sucess he is not you for we know wiseton has carisma and big picture visionary...

shutup your dumwit boca or you get new ban and have come back new suckpupet 20 year old italy gelato seller in same poverty province where marcos staying hoy hoy hoy
PAG/Stanfordguy, for one last time. I am not @publicduende. Italy is a big country, there are more people in Italy who lived in the UK, speak good English and chose to post on this forum.

Why exactly should I be banned? Because I expressed my opinion? At least I do it in correct English and not pretending to be someone else, like you have to do.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

hypermak wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 6:57 pm
Spencer wrote:

PAG/Stanfordguy, for one last time. I am not @publicduende. Italy is a big country, there are more people in Italy who lived in the UK, speak good English and chose to post on this forum.

Why exactly should I be banned? Because I expressed my opinion? At least I do it in correct English and not pretending to be someone else, like you have to do.
Hypermak,
Please, don't reply to this sick individual.
Just add his profile to your IGNORE list. No reply!
I do not understand why this Spencer sockpuppet is still allowed to post brainless garbage in this forum.
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

hypermak wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 6:57 pm
Spencer wrote:

You get ban before because doubt wiseton europe dream for free flow relation deep think local people in wonder environs called europe....

of course you public duende so you lie here and you act same to insulting more dumwit posters fall for the rouge creation of silly dopey chefman and espcialment is contrarian expat really believe because he his big talk small brain egomania and even you know this right but not all poster dumwit like contrarian

and truth some poster know but play dum dum so for sure know truth that you public duende come for troling or miss arguing w aboarders like contrarian because maybe your life get boring now but why because you have for marry girlfriend still so why waist time on lo life contrarian when you can be productive in phipine with good people so jackson knows i know deep down wiseton know and maybe yohan no intuation not know contrarian super dumwit think he smartman but just big waste of carbon big ugly leech have ghetovalue so why italyman care so so dumwit american contrarian talk talk talk everyday post post post no sensings

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

hypermak wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 9:56 am
For the little time I spent in Taipei, I found it a pleasant place, but one where pressure to adhere to social norms was very palpable. Not in the iron-fist rule kind of way as it might be in China, but more in the Japanese or South Korean sense: everyone is called to work and contribute to the Common Good to the best of their abilities, lest they will receive an huge amount of "shame" from those around them.

That fear of negative peer judgment might be less toxic and dangerous than that imposed by the CPC, yet it may well be enough to plunge the average Taiwanese in a state of tension that cannot be bottled up forever. My friend Matteo was one of the more laid back people I had ever met when I hanged out with him in Italy.

When I visited him in Taipei he was jovial as usual and we spent a great couple of evenings remembering the old times in Parma. Yet, he had fully taken on board his family legacy and I could sense that his life as an executive of his huge family business was giving him a lot of worry about. He gave me the impression that that jump into his Italian past was more soothing for him that he was for me.
Yes that's a good insight. As I said before, freedom is not all about government control. It's about social culture control too. And in Japan and Taiwan the social culture is very repressed and strict, not laid back or happy-go-lucky like the Philippines. I'm sure you know what I mean right? The difference is huge and obvious.

Why don't you ask your Taiwanese chef friend to look at my observations in the first few posts of this thread and ask him what he thinks? Is he honest and down to earth? Or does he try to be politically correct and conform to trends in terms of popular opinion like most Asians do?

To be honest, I find China to FEEL FREER than Taiwan. @ethan_sg and @zboy1 and @Bao3niang will agree. You can see this in the way mainland Chinese walk too, and their body language. For example, the mainland Chinese walk with confidence, directness and boldness. They are more blunt and upfront. So they are more FREE to be themselves and express themselves. In contrast, in Taiwan, the people walk like they are scared and weak and living in fear. Their body language is very meek, shy, timid, etc. They are afraid to make eye contact (especially young people) and tend to look down. No confidence at all. Their media is also very fear mongering like the US media. So they are kept in a constant state of fear and insecurity. You can see this in the way Taiwanese walk. Not one person in Taiwan acts very confident and assured of themselves like a Chuck Norris, Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood type. Not one. Everyone acts insecure because they are all afraid of what other people think and afraid of not being accepted.

Thus Taiwanese do NOT ACT like they are free at all, even though they have a supposed "democracy" where they can vote. But the Chinese ACT more like they are free, even though their government is more authoritarian. This is ironic of course, but in life there are many ironies like this. I'm sure you know that. For example, Taiwan is super safe, but people are paranoid of "bad guys" who could be anywhere. In contrast, Mexico and Russia have plenty of petty street crime and robberies and mugging, but the people there act fearless and are not afraid to talk to strangers. They will talk to strangers like it's the most natural thing. That is another irony.

That could be one reason Taiwanese dislike me and are put off by me. Because I act confident and like I don't give a shit about what others think, and I'm not afraid to be different. That is a taboo in repressed Taiwanese culture. If I were white, they could forgive it, but an Asian is not supposed to act like he doesn't give a shit about what others think. That is an anomaly in Taiwan and most likely they feel uncomfortable around me, especially young women who are obsessed with conformity and trends and fitting in, like high school girls do. Remember young Taiwanese women and girls still have a high school mentality, even when they are out of high school. So they are full of clique mentality and popularity seeking, and will look down on a guy like me who generates his own confidence and doesn't care what others think.

That is one plausible theory about why Taiwanese do not like me or feel comfortable around me and feel awkward around me. Because in their book, an Asian like me should not exist and should not be possible. Not to brag, but that's my honest theory. Also, an Asian who acts freespirited and happy-go-lucky and is too laid back is also seen as an anomaly. Asians are supposed to be very serious, stern and hard working and career-oriented. Not like me. So I sort of threaten what they believe an Asian is "supposed to be".

Do you get my drift? What are your thoughts on the above?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

hypermak wrote:Reverting to @Winston, do you think the problem is with him, and not with the Taiwanese people? I don't want to assume the worst and think that nobody in Taiwan is worth approaching, becoming friends with or enjoying a romantic relationship with, no matter how hard the barrier is to break.
Regarding the above hypermak:

First of all, Yohan is the wrong person to ask about that. He's never met me and cannot say. You should ask someone like Rock about that. Rock has met me many times and is in a better position to judge. But even he doesn't really know. Rock says that I am friendly and likable and do not give off any bad vibes. So he cannot explain why me and Taiwanese rub each other off the wrong way (in my previous post though, I gave some possible theories that might explain why though). What Rock and most others say is that most likely, me and Taiwanese people have a personality/communication CONFLICT of styles. They do not like the direct/open approach, and I do not like their subtle/indirect approach.

Also, Taiwan is like the US in that you gotta learn how to break into cliques to have a social life. It's not like Russia or Latin America where you can be alone and people will be glad to talk to you and socialize with you freely. I've never been good at breaking into cliques. It's not my style. That's why I never had any social life in high school. I don't vibe with that type of wavelength where no one likes you for you, and you gotta break into a clique to have a social group. I've never figured out how to do that. It's not me. It feels awkward to even try.

Think about this hypermak: Think of all the best friends and female partners you've had. Did you have to follow some complicated "social skills technique" or formula or rocket science to meet them? Or did it happen naturally? The latter of course. Remember the scene in that weird sitcom "That 70's Show" where a bunch of nerds use a chalkboard to figure out a complicated rocket science formula for how to make friends? That scene was very wrong because in the 1970's, making friends wasn't rocket science like it is now. So that show was dishonest to pretend that making friends has always been as awkward and complicated as it is today in modern America. Anyone who grew up in the 70's knows otherwise.

Second, you asked if the problem is me. I've addressed that thousands of times. Consider this. If the problem is me then:

1. How come I don't have a problem in most other countries? Click on the Russia video playlists in my signature link for proof that you can't deny. I filmed all that so I'd have proof to show you guys, rather than my words alone.

2. How come some white travelers like @El_Caudillo felt the same way about Taiwan? He felt no connection with Taiwanese either, and also noticed that they lacked enthusiasm or interest in making new friends. In fact, Rock told me recently that he doesn't socialize in Taiwan much easier. See his long message that I posted above in this thread. In addition, zboy1 also reported feeling negative vibes/energy in Taipei too.

3. How come honest Taiwanese will gladly admit that their women do not like talking to strangers and are not open to it? They won't deny that. So what I said is not untrue of course. But you gotta ask HONEST Taiwanese who are no-nonsense and no bull and not trying to be politically correct or say whatever is popular. If you ask the trendy politically correct type that always says whatever is popular, they will deny everything I say of course, because it's not trendy to say the stuff I say.

Did you take those factors into account hypermak before wondering if the problem is me?

What I've noticed is that everyone has a different chemistry/vibe that rubs off different in different countries. Some people even claim New York and Hong Kong are warm and friendly. Maybe they are lying, who knows. But I've noticed that some people generate a certain vibe/chemistry that creates positive energy in certain places, even if it's California or New York or Hong Kong, and as a result, that positive energy they produce results in people being more "warm and friendly" to them than otherwise. Hence they experience people as being warm and friendly to them. In a sense, they bring it out in others. You know what I mean? I'm sure all you guys have met types like that. They are not always good looking either. Sometimes they are plain or average looking. But something about them brings out positive energy in others, hence others treat them better and show them a friendlier face. And they receive more hospitality from others.

I've experienced that too. I notice that my aura/vibe brings out positive energy from strangers in Russia and Eastern Europe for example. So I receive more hospitality from those areas than an average American or average Asian might. Another factor is that my personality is more on the wavelength of Russia, because in Russia, people are blunt and real and tell it like it is. And they are deep too. They don't like fake politeness like Taiwanese and Californians do. Thus my wavelength was more on the wave that Russians in Russia are. Hence I experience more synergy and connection. That is an obvious factor. Because as you all know, I'm not fake and do not do fake politeness, especially not like NE Asians and Californians do. As a result, I felt a lot more extroverted in Russia and could be myself, which boosted my confidence and self-esteem too. That's why it was an awakening experience to me. As Grunt said:

"If anyone feels they "come out of their shell" when overseas, try to keep something in mind. That person you are overseas is the real you. The person you are in America is a prisoner, nothing more." - Grunt

Do you understand me better now @hypermak? I've already articulated quite a lot above.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

@Spencer
Please. No need to yell or insult hypermak. If he is wrong, just explain why to him calmy and logically, like Mr. Spock would, using reason and good arguments. Yelling at him will only make him defensive and produce counterattacks, which is not productive to a reasoned and open honest discussion. Thanks.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

hypermak wrote:
I think your predicament of "a single guy chatting up strangers" won't work in most countries/cultures anymore. Even growing up in Italy, in a small town, I would find it easy to stop and talk to anyone who knew me, at least as an acquaintance. Talking to total strangers, e.g. girls, was only accepted (= "didn't look totally awkward") in specific places and times of the day. Lots of kids would hang out in one of the main town piazza after school and that was the perfect time to socialize and speak to that cute "friend's friend's cousin".

Growing up we had "pubs" (the Italian name for a trendy, theme bar/restaurant) and discos, where most girls went to be expressly chatted up. If you could make it through the noise and the crowd, you could have a good chance at striking a good conversation with a girl you liked, possibly leading to more.

And this was Italy in the late 90s/early 2000's. I can see things have progressively gotten harder even there. Most kids of today are hooked to their mobile phones, that's the main if not only mean to approach them. My cousins who still live in my town tell me, as a bitter-sweet joke, that the only way to draw attention to a girl who goes to the same school and they physically see every day, in the classroom or on the corridors, is to contact them on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, a WhatsApp group if you're lucky. They can then check your social media information, including your pictures, your posts, gauge how "cool" and "cute" you are and then decide whether they can start chatting with you.

Unless you are a head-turning stud, few or no girls will ever want to talk to you when approached randomly, on a street. Or they might exchange a word or two, out of politeness, and then depending on how shy they are they will make it more or less explicit that they "have to go", "have a boyfriend" and are not interesting in entertaining you further.

Yes. That may all be true or at least relevant factors. However, you aren't taking a few things into account.

1. First, you haven't been to all 200 countries. So you are speculating. Sure Western Europe may not be as open as before, but there are always remote areas of Siberia, Krygyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Nepal, etc. where foreigners are not often seen, where locals would be curious and chat you up and girls still like to flirt, just as they did in the late1800's/early 1900's til the early 1980's. There are many remote areas of the world you never heard of that are not famous. Even if you go to Russian towns out of Moscow like Kazan, Izhevsk, etc you may still experience what I did in Russia in the early 2000's.

I even heard there are friendly small towns in remote areas of Texas where people don't lock their front doors and girls are like they were in the 1950's. But those areas receive no media coverage or attention. A lot of things exist that receive no attention or media coverage. Like hidden gems.

2. Second, like I said in my previous posts, not all men are the same. Some men or women produce good vibes/chemistry with certain cultures that result in more hospitality and better treatment from locals. Even if they are plain or average looking. It's a mystery, but it's true. There are people who experience nothing but friendliness in New York or Hong Kong too. Everyone attracts different experiences. It's not like what's true for you or me applies to everyone. There are people who find that the US is warm and friendly too and never have a problem there. And if you are meant to meet a girlfriend in X country, it will happen naturally, usuallly soon within weeks. Not every guy is the same. Some guys find a girlfriend within a few weeks, others never do and can only get whores. This is true even in a huge country like China. Notice how every guy's trip report there is different.

Ladislav even told me once that he knew a French guy who was good looking and had money and dressed well. But when he went to the Philippines, he couldn't get any dates at all. Even cheap slutty Filipino whores would not be with him. Because they all said he exuded some strange vibe that made them uncomfortable. It was a total mystery. So you see, even in the easiest to get laid country in the world like the PH, there are always anomalies.

So who's to say if I go to Italy, I won't be given more hospitality and warmth and friendliness than the average American or average Asian gets? We don't know. I've explained all this to you before remember? Why do you not seem to get it? There is no one formula or one pattern fits all type of thing. Social relations don't fit any formula or predictable pattern.

3. Finally, you don't seem to understand something. I don't mind if all girls reject me politely. What I don't like is when it feels taboo and creepy to approach girls or flirt with them or ask them their number. I don't like it when it makes me feel like a criminal or pervert that belongs in jail. You know what I mean? That means I can't be myself.

Let me give you an example. If you approached an American girl in 1975 and she wasn't interested, she'd turn you down politely like a lady. But she would see that as normal male behavior. Nothing unusual or transgressing or violating. No big deal. But if you did that in 2005 in Seattle, where that is vilified, you'd feel like a creep or pervert who belongs in jail. Like a Dan Cilley type. You know what I mean? That's an important difference. You see, I don't like being punished or vilified for being myself and trying. That's the main thing. Do you get what I mean?

Yes I've had American women call the police or nearest security guard before for flirting with them. It's very awkward and embarassing when it happens. Makes me feel like the bad guy or something. That would never happen in 1975 or in Russia or I'll bet, in Italy either.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hypermak, now to reply to the rest of your comments:
hypermak wrote:I would imagine your Greek friend went there as a tourist and doesn't have any points of reference yet: a friend who invited him, a work colleague, perhaps someone who sympathised with him after meeting him randomly, etc. Even if you don't live in Taipei, doesn't your Taiwanese heritage and appearance put you in a better position than him?
I heard he came to Taiwan due to visa issues in China. I don't know the whole story. But he seems very extroverted. More extroverted than me. He says he went to a lot of social groups from Couchsurfing or Language Exchange events and found them all to be disappointing. It was full of zombies, as we said, and plus he also got kicked out (politely I'd imagine) of social groups too, because like I said earlier, Taiwanese social groups (including those composed of foreigners and internationally minded Taiwanese) don't like it if you are different and not completely "square and innocent" and if you disagree with group consensus. So he experienced the same thing, that social groups in Taiwan don't like you if you're different in any way and if you aren't a pure conformist who cowtows to political correctness. Being outgoing and friendly and likable and talkative and sociable isn't enough. You gotta be a conformist too. You gotta be into groupthink. You know what I mean? It's not like a loose group of friends where everyone can be themselves.

I've never met the guy. So I don't know him other than online. But that's what he said too.
Have you tried getting to know girls (or people, in general) who know your family? Don't you have cousins, aunties and uncles, in Taiwan? You could maybe ask them to introduce a guy your age, or slightly younger than you, and then he could hang out with you, take you to a party or social situation where you will not be "nobody" but "so-and-so's friend" and it would be a lot easier to meet other people including girls.
Of course! I've met lots of Taiwanese since the 1980's and 1990's in the Bay Area, California, through my parents and stuff. They are only polite and friendly to me during family gatherings or outings. But they don't make friends with me outside of that. And if feels taboo to ask a girl out even if your parents know hers. Hard to explain. There's like this boundary you are not supposed to cross. An unspoken rule. You know what I mean? A lot of stuff like that is unspoken and unofficial. You just know it, even though it's not spelled out on paper.

I've asked other Chinese about this and they have confirmed to me that most cousins in Chinese culture do not become friends and hang out, outside of family get togethers. They are just polite to each other, but do not become personal one to one friends. There is this boundary between them. It's not just me. Other Chinese told me that they are not real or personal friends with their cousins either. I think in America this is true too. Most people are not personal friends with their cousins and don't hang out as friend. Though some are of course, there are always exceptions, but the majority of people are not.

What about in Italy? Are most people friends with their cousins or parents' friends? Alex told me all his relatives and cousins in Italy forgot him and don't care about him.

I have met a few Taiwanese girls from my family friends that I liked and that I would have liked to date. But it felt taboo to ask them out. Hard to explain. I wasn't as forward in the 80's and 90's as I was in Russia. I was only allowed to be super forward and brave when I was in Russia, where I could ask anyone out freely without restriction. In Bay Area, CA and Taiwan, NO WAY JOSE! It would have felt totally inappropriate. Plus in California culture, they don't like guys like me who are too straightforward. That's a taboo there.

However, even if I was very brave and forward in the 1990's, and asked those Taiwanese girls of my relatives or parents' friends out, they probably would have politely refused me and not only that, would have found it creepy and gossipped about it behind my back.

So you see, dating for me is always a game where I am between a rock and a hard place, like a King checkmated on a chessboard with no moves. Sucks huh?

No no one I know is cool or has parties to go to. And no one will introduce me to anyone either, even if they claim to. It's all talk and no action.

Philippines on the other hand, is different. I've seen cousins act like friends with each other there. But that's not Chinese culture or Taiwanese culture, where they are strict boundaries that make asking a girl out impolite and out of bounds.

You see hypermak, in Chinese and NE cultures, you can't just randomly ask a girl out just because she's cute. There has to be obvious chemistry or signs of interest from her. Otherwise, you go out on a limb and appear too forward, which is inappropriate and against NE Asian social culture. It's an unspoken rule. You know what I mean? In Philippines or Russia, you could probably do that and get away with it because the social culture isn't as restrictive about that kind of thing. But in Taiwan or America, if you asked the wrong girl out without any signs of interest from her, it could often backfire. Yes you get punished for trying in USA or Taiwan, but not in the Philippines or Russia. That's why I prefer Latin and Slavic cultures which aren't as strict about that kind of thing. Philippines is considered a Latin version of Asia, according to Ladislav, due to its Spanish influence.

True. So you noticed many Taiwanese looking grumpy and grouchy too? Bus drivers especially are pissed and like to yell at people, and are especially impatient. I noticed that in Taiwan and Hong Kong. I've yelled back at them and made a public scene before, and embarassed myself, just to make a statement to them.

But my point is, isn't it wrong or inaccurate for all these pro Taiwan articles to claim or imply that "all Taiwanese are friendly and polite"? Aren't they wrong to do that? Isn't it inaccurate? But it's ok because positive generalizations are allowed, but negative ones are not. If they were going for accuracy, they would say "some Taiwanese were polite, but others were rude and grumpy" but most travel articles and blogs never dare say that. Do you see what I mean? That was my complaint earlier.

Anyway, I wrote a lot today for you hypermak and explained a lot to you. Hope you read it all and keep it in mind so I don't have to repeat any of it. :P

Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

Winston wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 2:50 am
@Spencer
Please. No need to yell or insult hypermak. If he is wrong, just explain why to him calmy and logically, like Mr. Spock would, using reason and good arguments. Yelling at him will only make him defensive and produce counterattacks, which is not productive to a reasoned and open honest discussion. Thanks.
Wiseton please grant magnanimity forgiving of any my post not inside your aproving because i respect you as only real bossman of happy aboard also have big admiration of your deep intution creation of happy aboard and 1000s articles

my spirt is for truthing 100%

any aboarder that not sleep at wheel and read all history postings of the public duende and the hypermak does see for clarity that all are postings from same only one sourceman and we know public duende is realman so the hyper chefman is ficitonman and this 100% the truth....some poster not read with mindful openess some not read much history postings some play dum dum and some lo iq dumwit never see truth

silly dopey chefman only insult fictionman not insult realman because the hyper chefman simple simon disguising and truth identity obvious to any that read

so so sad public duende not post real truth adventure for share other aborder because always we learn much much from life of older expat aborder but because big big promise from private duende never come back ever no matter so pride of the realman preventing happy aboard reader learn from the work life love of big exprience aboarder in philipine for the fake fiction he make not good fiction and not ever compare to the truth life......so we now kindful sincerity requesting the public duende post realife and let fade fony balony chefman that never exist and no aborder will never see ever because not possible to meet fictionman in realife

and other sincerity requesting please stop child argues with contrarian who live on brag insult competings and please please give wiseton only enouragings on his intuition empath dreams and inightings because wiseton will do what you can never ever do because he is not limited by narrow life and thinkings and he is he and you are you so very different man very different life.....before you victim get suck in ego argue trap now not to fall again and step back away from these destructions so listen watch learn from leader wiseton by life example he ilustration for all egosick aborders

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw Alice. I forgot to tell u. Your daughter Susan actually agrees with me in a way. Because in las vegas she told me this:

Susan:
"The reason women in Taiwan or America are standoffish and dont talk to you is because they dont need or want anything from you. In Philippines or Russia women will talk to you because they need or want something from you."

So you see, she inadvertently admitted to me that Taiwanese women are not open or social to me and gave me her explanation why. She did not deny that Taiwanese women are not approachable or open. So in that sense she agreed with me and admitted i was right. Right Alice? You can ask her. She did say the above.

Now Susan may have her personal reasons for liking Taiwan. But she did not challenge my claim that Taiwan women are not open. She just has a different explanation, one that is cold and practical. I only agree with it partially, and ill explain why later in another post. But the point is Alice, Susan did not deny my claims but affirmed them. So you cant say Alice that your family completely disagrees with me. Right?

Im sure if u ask Susan's brother he would agree too. Ask him to cold approach women in Taiwan and see how open they are about socializing with him. Lol.

Btw Alice why did your grandson say "taiwan number one"? I told my dad that and even he does not agree with it because taiwan is not number one in any category. Im sure u know that. Was the kid brainwashing or influence to say that? Isnt it just delusional patriotism with no basis?

Taiwan does not produce anything creative or original. Their movies and TV shows totally suck unless imported. They have no inventors or great intellectuals. They have never won any gold medals in the olympics. And even if allowed to compete they would never win. In fact I'm the only person of Taiwanese blood who can think outside the box (not to brag). So how can taiwan be number one in anything? Isnt that just blind patriotism? Anyone in any country can say their country is number one. Words are cheap. But proof is what counts. Whats the evidence that Taiwan is number one? Even my dad doesn't agree with that and he loves Taiwan.

hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Winston wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 2:48 am
Regarding the above hypermak:

First of all, Yohan is the wrong person to ask about that. He's never met me and cannot say. You should ask someone like Rock about that. Rock has met me many times and is in a better position to judge. But even he doesn't really know. Rock says that I am friendly and likable and do not give off any bad vibes. So he cannot explain why me and Taiwanese rub each other off the wrong way (in my previous post though, I gave some possible theories that might explain why though). What Rock and most others say is that most likely, me and Taiwanese people have a personality/communication CONFLICT of styles. They do not like the direct/open approach, and I do not like their subtle/indirect approach.
I am not the biggest expert on Asian cultures, either, but I like to think I have a mind and can make some critical thinking based on what I read as well as my personal experiences with Taiwanese (like Matteo) as well here in the Philippines.

I think the key here is conformism. Asians in general love conformity and comformism. A man who is well adjusted to his study/find a job/get married/spend/have kids/work some more/spend some more/die routine is considered well disciplined and accepted, or welcome, in their societies. He is considered as someone who has learned to be productive and contribute to society, like everyone else, so he is automatically worth respect and admiration.

Agreed about the "open approach". As you probably know Asian cultures are all about creating and maintaining harmony. This is also reflected in their cuisine. From Novelle Cuisine to modern Fusion and Molecular Gastronomy, European gastronomy has always been about surprising, creating contrasts and challenges and then resolving them. Metaphorically speaking, Japanese fine dining is like a walk in one of their magnificent gardens, perfectly crafted to look natural when, in fact, they're man-made. Modern European or US fine dining is often like being in a theme park, with all sorts of weird and wonderful rides.

So, we Europeans are more used to engaging our audience, whether it's food or a conversation. We expect our audience to have a more open mind and be ready to be challenged and enjoy that challenge. Asian cultures are all about testing the audience to respond in a compliant, conformist way. It's the ability to express that compliance and conformity that's praised, not individualism.

Of course advanced Asian cultures like the Japanese have found plenty of outlets to express individuality, but always in a safe, socially-accepted way. That's one of the reasons why, in Japan, stuff that would be considered perverted or morally objectionable elsewhere is perfectly fine by them: it serves as an outlet, to keep the ducks in order during their socially productive time. One Japanese exec I met in Dubai once told me: you can be a criminal outside the kitchen and that doesn't matter so long you're the immaculate fine culinary artisan in the kitchen.

So, for the little I know about Japan and Taiwan, they both look to me as highly conformist societies. Perhaps you're too much of a free thinker, an anti-conformist to catch their favour or interest. In a place like Taiwan, you represent the odd man out, the minority so, in that sense, the problem is you.

That doesn't mean that you have a problem or you are a problematic person, far from it. This actually explains why, as yourself say, you found yourself more comfortable around people who value deep, intellectual conversations that express your own opinion, rather than some collective thinking or common sense. Obviously, with all their trouble, some Eastern European countries are still full of people who value that type of person and that type of conversation.

From my personal experience with Russians, Ukranians, Romanians and other Slavic people, I could see there are plenty of intellectual lazy people there, too. However I did meet some very intelligent, well educated and opinionated people and enjoyed talking to them. So I definitely understand where you're coming from.
Winston wrote:
Also, Taiwan is like the US in that you gotta learn how to break into cliques to have a social life. It's not like Russia or Latin America where you can be alone and people will be glad to talk to you and socialize with you freely. I've never been good at breaking into cliques. It's not my style. That's why I never had any social life in high school. I don't vibe with that type of wavelength where no one likes you for you, and you gotta break into a clique to have a social group. I've never figured out how to do that. It's not me. It feels awkward to even try.
From what I have seen Taiwanese and Japanese, and even Chinese, love to socialise over food and drinks. That's what they can let their hair down, so to speak, and be more open about what is really going on in their lives and what they think about themselves and each other. Unfortunately it does look like the people they drink with are their inner social circles: their direct coworkers, their family members, some old friends in the best cases. Breaking into these "cliques" might not be easy if you don't have a job in Taiwan, or you don't have family members who have these social habits and will invite you to join them.

In any case, as you probably know, it's always going to be a male-only affair. No girls :) Still, it would be a step forward into you feeling more accepted and getting less bored.

I would have thought clubs and meetup groups dedicated to interacting with foreigners, or about specific hobbies and interests, would have been good for you. Then you told me about your Greek friend not having a good time over there. Disappointing.
Winston wrote:
Think about this hypermak: Think of all the best friends and female partners you've had. Did you have to follow some complicated "social skills technique" or formula or rocket science to meet them? Or did it happen naturally? The latter of course. Remember the scene in that weird sitcom "That 70's Show" where a bunch of nerds use a chalkboard to figure out a complicated rocket science formula for how to make friends? That scene was very wrong because in the 1970's, making friends wasn't rocket science like it is now. So that show was dishonest to pretend that making friends has always been as awkward and complicated as it is today in modern America. Anyone who grew up in the 70's knows otherwise.
I grew up in late 90s and early 2000s Italy where it was still possible to base human relationships entirely over physical interactions. There were no social media, Internet was there but only limited to email and web and SMS texts were too expensive to use them for back-and-forth chatting.

This doesn't mean interacting with your peers, especially with the girls, was a lot easier. It was probably not more complicated than it is now, but definitely not "natural" as you put it. Rules are almost never natural, they have to be learned and practiced. Conforming to those rules would give you a golden chance to be one of the popular guys, or hang out with the populary boys (and girls). Not conforming would almost always kick you aside and make you feel a misfit, an outcast. We still had music on vynils and CDs and music was one of our shelters. In some cases videogames were, too.

For example, I had to learn to play football almost to a decent level even though I loved volleyball a lot more (I used to play in a local juniores team) simply because being crap at it would have had me ridiculed by the other boys.

My home is in Veneto, a region that is legendary for its industrious and creative people. So many of these misfits found their safe zones in a craft or job that would express their individuality and distance from the ordinary, the normal. And we are indeed proud of them: the textile and wood artisans, the furniture designers...the food specialists, among them.

Almost everybody, be them in Italy or the US or China, has their growing pains. I understand where you're coming from and why you're critical but, at least as far as what I went through and saw everybody else going through, learning to "play by the rules" to be accepted in a specific community or adult society has never been easy. There might be situations where your social circle is naturally closer to your personality and life choices, in which case it might be easier to adapt and fit in. But it's never too natural or easy.
Winston wrote:
Second, you asked if the problem is me. I've addressed that thousands of times. Consider this. If the problem is me then:

1. How come I don't have a problem in most other countries? Click on the Russia video playlists in my signature link for proof that you can't deny. I filmed all that so I'd have proof to show you guys, rather than my words alone.

2. How come some white travelers like @El_Caudillo felt the same way about Taiwan? He felt no connection with Taiwanese either, and also noticed that they lacked enthusiasm or interest in making new friends. In fact, Rock told me recently that he doesn't socialize in Taiwan much easier. See his long message that I posted above in this thread. In addition, zboy1 also reported feeling negative vibes/energy in Taipei too.

3. How come honest Taiwanese will gladly admit that their women do not like talking to strangers and are not open to it? They won't deny that. So what I said is not untrue of course. But you gotta ask HONEST Taiwanese who are no-nonsense and no bull and not trying to be politically correct or say whatever is popular. If you ask the trendy politically correct type that always says whatever is popular, they will deny everything I say of course, because it's not trendy to say the stuff I say.

Did you take those factors into account hypermak before wondering if the problem is me?
As I explained before, saying that the problem is you in Taiwan doesn't mean you are a problematic man, or you would have problems everywhere. I agree with you that, if you are a free thinker and enjoy non-trivial conversations and are not afraid to put your opinion on the table, the Slavic countries might be a better fit for you. I didn't click on all the videos but did see a couple of Russian cuties starting some random conversations with you. So that's some good proof, I guess.
Winston wrote:
What I've noticed is that everyone has a different chemistry/vibe that rubs off different in different countries. Some people even claim New York and Hong Kong are warm and friendly. Maybe they are lying, who knows. But I've noticed that some people generate a certain vibe/chemistry that creates positive energy in certain places, even if it's California or New York or Hong Kong, and as a result, that positive energy they produce results in people being more "warm and friendly" to them than otherwise. Hence they experience people as being warm and friendly to them. In a sense, they bring it out in others. You know what I mean? I'm sure all you guys have met types like that. They are not always good looking either. Sometimes they are plain or average looking. But something about them brings out positive energy in others, hence others treat them better and show them a friendlier face. And they receive more hospitality from others.

I've experienced that too. I notice that my aura/vibe brings out positive energy from strangers in Russia and Eastern Europe for example. So I receive more hospitality from those areas than an average American or average Asian might. Another factor is that my personality is more on the wavelength of Russia, because in Russia, people are blunt and real and tell it like it is. And they are deep too. They don't like fake politeness like Taiwanese and Californians do. Thus my wavelength was more on the wave that Russians in Russia are. Hence I experience more synergy and connection. That is an obvious factor. Because as you all know, I'm not fake and do not do fake politeness, especially not like NE Asians and Californians do. As a result, I felt a lot more extroverted in Russia and could be myself, which boosted my confidence and self-esteem too. That's why it was an awakening experience to me. As Grunt said:

"If anyone feels they "come out of their shell" when overseas, try to keep something in mind. That person you are overseas is the real you. The person you are in America is a prisoner, nothing more." - Grunt

Do you understand me better now @hypermak? I've already articulated quite a lot above.
I have never thought about interacting with people in terms of positive or negative energy. There are people who simply don't think the way we do and are not open to a healthy debate, or want to start a debate with the intention of "winning it". This happens anywhere in the world, even on this forum. Lots of people I liked or like in my life come across as incredibly positive, sunny, friendly. Later in life I realised why: because they are used to never taking any position. Whatever you say, they keep smiling and laugh it off, they never allow themselves to slip into a debate where their real opinions (if they have any) will come out and clash against the other guy's own opinions.

Maybe these people will make you feel good and radiate positive energy. In the end, it doesn't take much to realise that having a conversation with them is having a conversation with a mirror. They just bounce back whatever you say back to you, avoiding any confrontation. I used to love and even envy these kinds of people many years ago. Now I surely don't hate them, but I don't have a lot of respect for them, since they purposely avoid showing who they really are or what they really think.

Maybe these super-polite Taiwanese or Americans are a bit like these kinds of people: they will try hard to be positive and nice and polite and never slip into a verbal confrontation, yet at the end you might be disappointed with them.

I think most Asian societies have this non-confrontational, polite but ultimately fake behaviour ingrained in their social DNA. Our job to like it or not. For what is worth, I have found quite a lot of deep, mature, critical thinkers here in the Philippines. Maybe you should give this country a chance, instead of Taiwan... :)