Entering the PH with a SRRV

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Entering the PH with a SRRV

Post by ladislav »

Disclaimer: this is all still hearsay and not legal advice of any kind. This is what I have heard and how I understand it. Please check and double check. The dollar amounts are approximate and not exact. All of this is on the AFAIK basis.

Apparently, the PH gov't is now allowing people who have SRRV ( special resident retiree visas) to enter the country. What's more, now, it seems that they are starting a pilot program to allow people to apply for those while still outside the PH. which was not possible before. The way I understand it, one should submit all the documents to the PRA ( Philippine Retirement Authority) or use a visa service to walk you through.
What's the deal? Afaik, if you are over 50 with a pension ( I think it is $800 a month minimum) you need to deposit ( remit I guess) $10K into a PH bank plus pay $1400 fee and a visa agency fee in some cases.
If you have no pension, it jumps to $20K. If you are a former military it is only USD 1500.
There are some other variations/options but they all seem to be similar.
So, from what I have found out, apparently one collects and submits all the docs, sends the money and then, their officials are supposed to send you an exemption document to apply for a tourist visa. Then, you arrive and complete the process there.
I am following through on it to see if any guys have already arrived in the country. I got no news about that although quite a few people are applying.

Will I avail myself of this? Frankly, I am afraid. What if there is some delay or breakdown in communication or a change in the law? How can I get my money back or have any kind of access to it? So, I 'll wait and see.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!