Debit/Credit Cards + cash- diversify

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Debit/Credit Cards + cash- diversify

Post by ladislav »

As if foreseeing the future, on my last visit to the Philippines, I took multiple debits and credit cards with me- and I had set up PINs on the credit cards. It was like three debits and a few more credit ones.

I also took some dollars in cash. Although I did not carry it on me.

I spread the cards around my pockets and in other different places.

First, my US Bank debit card was swallowed up by an ATM in Manila- and I was living in Angeles and it was Sunday. Wisely, I had a Capital One credit card with a PIN. I got some money, and my life continued.

A month later my hotel room was burglarized and they took my wallet with my Bank of America ATM. Then my Barclay Card was locked because they said someone else was using it.

Then, the Capital One card was either stolen or I forgot it somewhere.

I called Barclay's to ask them to send me a replacement card but it never got to the Philippines.

But I still had my Citibank Debit and other credit cards with PINs. Some of them would not be accepted by Philippine ATMs. Probably some incompatibility with the network.

I ended up having a PayPal Mastercard and my Citibank debit card as my main sources of cash. Plus, some cash that I had. PayPal Mastercard was a star.

I was justified in having sworn to myself to never leave home without several debit and credit cards. Even if the money is not much in them, it is better to have a little here and there than to have them all in one account.

I had learned my lesson in NZ. I only had a Bank of America ATM and it was locked by the bank because they said it was compromised. Had to call my mother for a Western Union remittance. Ruined my trip.

Capital One has no foreign transaction fees and it actually costs less to get an advance at an ATM than to get cash from a US ATM card.
( Now, you can start with your " I ve never had any problem, I have one and I was never robbed because I treat people with respect. bla bla bla". And I also never had any problem before. But then, they strike.)
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Debit/Credit Cards + cash- diversify

Post by Yohan »

ladislav wrote:
February 23rd, 2023, 6:47 am
As if foreseeing the future, on my last visit to the Philippines, I took multiple debits and credit cards with me- and I had set up PINs on the credit cards. It was like three debits and a few more credit ones....
I was justified in having sworn to myself to never leave home without several debit and credit cards. Even if the money is not much in them, it is better to have a little here and there than to have them all in one account.
True, better safe than sorry.

I do the same and had similar experience several times in the past. While travelling abroad, I always have several creditcards and debitcards from Austria (EU), Japan and Thailand with me.

Last month one of my creditcard numbers was stolen from somewhere (no idea how) and somebody tried to collect money out of it. It was not successful, but the card had to be blocked and a new card with new number had to be issued. Luckily during that few days I was using another card from another banking institute.

One time I had to rent a car, but exactly on that day the Japanese Sumitoro chain made a 48 hour urgent computer update as some hackers broke the security network - all credit and debitcards related to Sumitomo were suspended.
Luckily I had another card from another Japanese banking institute.

One time I had a problem with the card from Europe, I made some mistake with the code and it was locked - so I could use the Jaanese debit card.

Another time I took too much money out from my Japanese debit card, it was locked, as the computer system suspected possible fraud (I was in Thailand for several months and not in my home in Japan) so i used the Thai debitcard and the European int'l cashcard....

Some cash money - if everything is going wrong - is also useful.

I can use also internet banking to transfer money from one account to another account within these 3 countries.

----------------------

Let me add, it is also useful to keep copies of your passport, ID, and other important documents, in case the originals are damaged or lost.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

ladislav wrote:
February 23rd, 2023, 6:47 am
and I was living in Angeles
I just figured out your problem, with all the scammers and all the girls who mistreat you... you're in Angeles City, of all places. Likely the worst place any porener could ever go looking for girls as it's full of bar girls, whores, sluts and low-life skanks lol. Not to mention, a shitload of other poreners so no doubt the girls have their pick of men they want.

No wonder you've been posting a lot about scams lately... you're in the Scam Capital of the World right now lol. :lol:
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Jackfruits
Freshman Poster

Post by Jackfruits »

At least he knows the truth about life now
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Jackfruits wrote:
February 26th, 2023, 3:08 am
At least he knows the truth about life now
He should have known that years ago instead of always returning to Angeles City expecting to find love in a city filled to the brim with whores lol. It's like going to the gay parade to pick up straight chicks lol. :lol:
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144