Hanging out in Bali, Indonesia - what did you do this week?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
GerardButler
Freshman Poster

Hanging out in Bali, Indonesia - what did you do this week?

Post by GerardButler »

Need some new driving fins

I invited some friends from Thailand

I am an absolute visionary and a philosopher king :wink:
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Re: Hanging out in Bali, Indonesia - what did you do this week?

Post by kangarunner »

Wow....looks awesome. Ubud is cool. I'm a little jealous....I wish I was there in Bali right about now....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Not counting trips to the airport while in transit, I have only been to Bali once. It's beautiful there. We went to various places on the island. That is a big island, and it takes hours to cross it. The waves were uniquely consistent when I was there before. No wonder it is popular with surfers.

I've also briefly been to Lombok on a longer trip to Sumbawa.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

So is that Asian trans or not?
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

No big deal. There are plenty of low-cost flights all across SEA, courtesy of Air Asia. On a good day without major delays, even Philippine carrier Cebu Pacific is acceptable, for short-haul international flights.

Bali is a bit overrated. I have been there 4 times in total and each time I found it more gentrified, more expensive, less diverse in terms of tourist crowds. The first time I was there, in 2011, there was so much nightlife in Kuta, it was unbelievable. Young surfers from down under blending seamlessly with the higher-end visitors dwelling in Seminyak or in the boutique hotels up the hills. Restaurants and bars open until late night.

Fast forward a decade, and most action happens behind closed doors, maybe in villas. I couldn't find a single establishment who was open past midnight (save a cheesy-looking Mexican-themed bar in Kuta). Bali definitely wants to sell itself as more exclusive, upmarket and "adult".

I guess the same will happen to Boracay, Siargao and other party places in the Philippines. If you remove the younger and middle-income clientele, much of the fun disappears. It becomes all about decreipt Chinese old man hosting private parties where they sip Hibiki 30 around a bunch of girts, all religiously silent.
WanderingProtagonist
Experienced Poster

Post by WanderingProtagonist »

Mercer wrote:
March 20th, 2023, 6:12 pm
@GerardButler is the only one on here who actually walks the walk and proves he's not just some larping faggot.

@publicduende also sounds very jealous in that post... The members on here are very toxic. This is supposed to be a site about going happier abroad yet if you actually post pictures about your great trip then the old, jealous assholes on here act like cunts about it. :lol:
lol see the dick riding again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WanderingProtagonist
Experienced Poster

Mercer wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 10:08 am
WanderingProtagonist wrote:
March 20th, 2023, 8:57 pm
Mercer wrote:
@GerardButler is the only one on here who actually walks the walk and proves he's not just some larping faggot.

@publicduende also sounds very jealous in that post... The members on here are very toxic. This is supposed to be a site about going happier abroad yet if you actually post pictures about your great trip then the old, jealous assholes on here act like cunts about it. :lol:
lol see the dick riding again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shut the f**k up faggot. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're the one acting like one. You even like to overuse the word by calling everyone that. Dick Rider: Starring Mercer
-Knight Rider theme song starts playing-
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Mercer wrote:
Where did you get the "jealousy"? I simply stated the fact that Bali is now fully gentrified and the fun factor has long gone. It's something that happens to all major tourist destinations: sooner or later the become more upmarket, which means more expensive and more boring at the same time.

Plus consider that I live a $100 low-cost flight away from Bali, there's nothing special or exotic about me popping there.

As for our "legend in his own mind" troll, only a mentally disturbed person like you could believe him and his mind movies. And, believe me, that's what he comes in here for. Any kind of validation, even of the level you, or @Tsar can offer, is good enough for his starving ego. He finally saved some money to pay a trip to SEA...so of course he needs to show off!
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

publicduende wrote:
March 20th, 2023, 5:33 pm
Bali is a bit overrated. I have been there 4 times in total and each time I found it more gentrified, more expensive, less diverse in terms of tourist crowds.
When I saw McDonalds in Kuta, I thought to myself this place is trash. Start bringing in Western companies and it's ruined. I did learn how to surf in Bali with some cool Balinese dudes smoking weed and drinking coconuts on the sandy beach. I'd trade my life with theirs any day.

It's not just Bali that's being invaded by American corporations, I was walking here in the historic center of Santa Marta, Colombia (OF ALL f***ing PLACES) and there's a big, rude American KFC in the middle of other locally owned food places. Why Colombia allows American asshole corporations in here I have no idea.

After all my world travel, I truly despise Americans. Well, I despise everyone from the West. I hope you all live miserably knowing that every second of every day you're getting older to the day that you finally die and it's over.

WanderingProtagonist
Experienced Poster

kangarunner wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 6:07 pm
publicduende wrote:
March 20th, 2023, 5:33 pm
Bali is a bit overrated. I have been there 4 times in total and each time I found it more gentrified, more expensive, less diverse in terms of tourist crowds.
When I saw McDonalds in Kuta, I thought to myself this place is trash. Start bringing in Western companies and it's ruined. I did learn how to surf in Bali with some cool Balinese dudes smoking weed and drinking coconuts on the sandy beach. I'd trade my life with theirs any day.

It's not just Bali that's being invaded by American corporations, I was walking here in the historic center of Santa Marta, Colombia (OF ALL f***ing PLACES) and there's a big, rude American KFC in the middle of other locally owned food places. Why Colombia allows American asshole corporations in here I have no idea.

After all my world travel, I truly despise Americans. Well, I despise everyone from the West. I hope you all live miserably knowing that every second of every day you're getting older to the day that you finally die and it's over.
That's because you delusional fools think all these other nations are "better" than the West simply because you HATE the West when clearly they are not. If they were so much better why do they allow the West to move in on their turf? They obviously don't give a shit, and you can't be too smart of a country if you let Western influences into your country. All these nations are f***ing Western owned bitches. ALL OF THEM. Find me one country on this planet other than North Korea and China that isn't fagging out for the West right now. It's that easy for the West to flood whatever idea they have into another country and half of you keep hollering how better shit is abroad when they're all slowly letting Western influences move right in. None of them is doing shit to stop or prevent it either.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

kangarunner wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 6:07 pm

Actually, seeing a McDonald's or KFC in the middle of a international tourism spot doesn't say much about the place bending down to the rules of capitalism. There are some Jollibee (fast food chain from the Philippines) restaurants in the US, but that doesn't mean the Pinoys will take over the US economy any time soon!

With Bali, I think the opposite happened. The curfew basically pushed away all the Australian kids having their spring break there, even surfers and backpackers are a more rare sight. The place is more authentic to its cultural roots, if anything, more refined, cleaner, even. It's also more upmarket and more expensive, catering for a clientele of higher means.

I personally do not mind the gentrified version of Bali, only...it's not democratic. I would have hated it had I been half my age!
GerardButler
Freshman Poster

Post by GerardButler »

Mercer wrote:

Poor Mr. duende, he wishes to discuss living in Southeast Asia but has forgotten how to do so properly because this website is primarily about being crazy. Mr. duende, don't worry; on my new website, you can reinvent yourself as Frankie the trash collector so you can speak normally :)
I am an absolute visionary and a philosopher king :wink:
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

GerardButler wrote:
March 22nd, 2023, 12:58 am
Poor Mr. duende, he wishes to discuss living in Southeast Asia but has forgotten how to do so properly because this website is primarily about being crazy. Mr. duende, don't worry; on my new website, you can reinvent yourself as Frankie the trash collector so you can speak normally :)
Thanks Mr Pinhead Shalalalalah, I am perfectly fine as I am and if I ever desired to reinvent myself, your new website would be the last place I would be joining.

Enjoy your mind movies until the next ban, o Supreme Troll.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

publicduende wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 9:54 pm
Actually, seeing a McDonald's or KFC in the middle of a international tourism spot doesn't say much about the place bending down to the rules of capitalism. There are some Jollibee (fast food chain from the Philippines) restaurants in the US, but that doesn't mean the Pinoys will take over the US economy any time soon!
McDonalds and KFC are both trash. It's de-evolution of food. You put those places in the middle of a historic island like Bali and it turns to shit.