How are Chinese Women in Guangzhou? (Canton)

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Jackal wrote:I hate to state the obvious, but the first concern should be communicating with the women there. How many of them speak English? And are you planning to learn to learn whatever Chinese dialect they speak there? In many places in the world, it's simply not possible to date women if you only speak English.

My main piece of advice: Bring pocket kleenexes everywhere you go! There is usually no toilet paper in the bathrooms of less-developed countries.
China is getting better. I would not focus to much on the 'less developed' aspect. Some areas are nice. Last time I was in Shekou whch BTW is in Guangdong, I was delighted to see that a large number of people got around on electric bikes as opposed to motorcycles which are common in a lot of countries including Taiwan. That made things a lot more quiet and made for better air in the immediate area as well.

As for learning the language, I think its enough just to learn Mandarin these days. About all young people speak it very fluently now. And the more refined types are probably going to prefer it over Canto. And don't forget, its a piece of cake for someone like Winston if he invests some effort. He already speaks Taiwanese (a related dialect/language), has been exposed to Mandarin much of his life, and is pretty good with languages.

BTW, overall, Guangdong is not a poor province. It has been one of the hot-spots for re-export activity via SEZs since China opened up. Huge amounts of money have been invested there and workers from all over the country have flocked down there for jobs. Also, Shenzhen area has benefited immensely from bordering Hong Kong.

As for native Cantonese, overall, they are probably not my favorite Chinese by far. This has been mentioned in another thread about Hong Kong. But Cantonese are considered more provincial and closed. They are also shorter on average than Chinese from a lot of northern provinces. But, these days, provincial differences count for less than they once did. Because locals travel all over and Shenzhen and Guagzhou attract people from all over the country. Winters are much more mild there too than most parts of China. Given its relatively close proximity Hong Kong, Macau, and even Taiwan, it may be a good starting point for some including Winston.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Well, I'm 26, so would landing a girl in her early 20's be that hard then?

Things would be so much simpler if I found philippine women attractive, aggravating that I find the pickier girls more attractive.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

xiongmao,
Did you try cold approaching any girls in Guangzhou? If so, what were the overall results? Were they receptive or did they give you the cold shoulder?

Is this your website by the way? If so, it looks like it has a lot of useful tips about China.
http://www.chinesedatingsitesguide.com

Rock,
Actually I speak Mandarin better than you might think. I just don't enjoy speaking it so I don't. But if my back were against the wall, I could speak it. I can't discuss philosophy in Mandarin, but I know all the basic words and travel phrases that are necessary.

I'm also learning Chinese quite well with the Rosetta Stone software. You guys should try it out. Learning languages with it is not only easy, but effortless too. You don't have to try to memorize anything. It all comes natural with the pictures. Try it and you'll see what I mean. It's easier than you can imagine. You learn it the way a child does, by connecting simple words and images and building up on that. It's that easy and natural. There's no raw memorization involved (which I can't do). That's the beauty of it.
As for native Cantonese, overall, they are probably not my favorite Chinese by far. This has been mentioned in another thread about Hong Kong. But Cantonese are considered more provincial and closed. They are also shorter on average than Chinese from a lot of northern provinces. But, these days, provincial differences count for less than they once did. Because locals travel all over and Shenzhen and Guagzhou attract people from all over the country. Winters are much more mild there too than most parts of China. Given its relatively close proximity Hong Kong, Macau, and even Taiwan, it may be a good starting point for some including Winston.
This is true about Cantonese. In America, I've noticed that Cantonese students are totally closed and cliquish. It's like that in SF China town too. And in the China town of Surrey, British Columbia, as well.

So most people in Guangdong are Cantonese? Does that mean they will be closed and cliquish too? I hope not.
Last edited by Winston on December 8th, 2011, 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Man look at these other super hotties in China that I found online! Damn. Goodness gracious! So perfect looking!

Image Image
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Guangzhou is the capital city/district of Guangdong province with about 10-14 million people (variable due to migrants). It's in the heartland of the Cantonese speaking region. But overall it's just a small part of Guangdong. To put things to perspective, Guangdong is the richest (>4.5 trillion RMB) and most populous (>100 million) province in China. If it was a country, it'd be the 12th most populous & 18th richest country in the world. If you count the floating migrant population, the province has more people than Mexico.

The 3 major non-Mandarin local languages/dialects in Guangdong is Cantonese, Hakka, and Teochow. Cantonese is a language with about 2 dozen dialects of its own. The lingua franca of oversea Chinese was the Taisanese dialect of Cantonese at one time. There are more Cantonese speakers (>70 million) than the population of France. The Cantonese view themselves as the people of Tang, versus the average Chinese nationalist see himself as Han. Non-Cantonese Chinese don't use the word "cliquish" to describe the Cantonese, they might use the word "團結" (united, rally/join forces).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Holy F! Look at this girl I found in Guangzhou!

Here's another one in Guangzhou. Oh wow. Look how innocent and cute she looks! Can you believe she's 28? She looks a lot younger than that.

Last edited by Winston on December 11th, 2011, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I didn't approach Gz women on the street. My Mandarin is very basic and I'm not that confident. Both times I've visited I've also had a queue of Chinese Love Links women lined up.

On top of that, my teacher was from Wuhan, and I believe the Gz Mandarin has a different accent. Well as you know Mandarin is tonal, and you need to get the words spot on or you'll call your mother a horse!

I'd guestimate that 30% of the CLL Gz girls are Cantonese, 20% from Hunan and 20% from Hubei. Western men seem to like Hunan girls a lot. I've found them more mild then Hubei girls, but more fierce than Cantonese. Always ask a girl which province her family are from!

Cantonese do seem to stick together. I don't know of any Cantonese who have married non-Cantonese.

Winston, that girl has been airbrushed beyond belief!!!! My goodness the Chinese are good at airbrushing these days! In September I nearly visited the hottest girl on the planet, but when I saw her on webcam I realised I'd fallen in love with a photo.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

xiongmao wrote:I didn't approach Gz women on the street. My Mandarin is very basic and I'm not that confident. Both times I've visited I've also had a queue of Chinese Love Links women lined up.

On top of that, my teacher was from Wuhan, and I believe the Gz Mandarin has a different accent. Well as you know Mandarin is tonal, and you need to get the words spot on or you'll call your mother a horse!

I'd guestimate that 30% of the CLL Gz girls are Cantonese, 20% from Hunan and 20% from Hubei. Western men seem to like Hunan girls a lot. I've found them more mild then Hubei girls, but more fierce than Cantonese. Always ask a girl which province her family are from!

Cantonese do seem to stick together. I don't know of any Cantonese who have married non-Cantonese.

Winston, that girl has been airbrushed beyond belief!!!! My goodness the Chinese are good at airbrushing these days! In September I nearly visited the hottest girl on the planet, but when I saw her on webcam I realised I'd fallen in love with a photo.
But it doesn't matter if your Mandarin is basic. If a girl is approachable, just say "Excuse me miss" and she will stop and talk to you. Even if you don't speak Mandarin, you can still ask for her phone number. Language is not an excuse. In Russia I approached girls without speaking Russian too, because they were very approachable.

Any recommendations on where to stay in Guangzhou?

Have you been to Guilin? I heard there were many beautiful waterfalls and caves there. See here:

http://www.bestourism.com/items/di/253? ... China&b=38

Isn't that where this famous backdrop is?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow can you imagine seeing girls like this in China?

http://www.dateinasia.com/SimoneLy.html

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check this out. This hot girl in Guangzhou can teach you Chinese if you want, or maybe show you around.

http://www.dateinasia.com/sunshine+li.html

hi ~

hello,everyone! I am a cute Chinese girl . And I am not only a college student but also a good chinese teacher for foreigners in guang Zhou . If you are honest and kind ,guess we can be friends and if you want to have my class also can contact me . :) (by the way,plz don't just send me hi or you're beautiful these kind of words ,you can be my real friends or my students but don't waste both of our time to be passers-by . ) And as well, no Philippines ! Thanks!
It seems a lot of Chinese girls don't want Filipinos emailing them. lol So they write "No philippines please" in their profile. I guess Filipinos have a really bad image or reputation.

Here are some "approachable faces in China".

http://www.dateinasia.com/yeliily.html

http://www.dateinasia.com/sweetysunny.html

http://www.dateinasia.com/UserProfile.a ... 6baaa664da

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow look at this Chinese girl on AFA! She looks so hot and she's the perfect age too! Only 30 and still looks so young and beautiful and feminine and tall at 5'7'' too!

http://women.happierabroad.com/women/info126577.htm

ImageImageImageImage

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Any 3 or 4 star hotel is OK. I usually stay in Tianhe. It's roughly central so it's not too far to travel to meet women (or they can come to you). Gz is a BIG city though.

Yeah I could approach women, but given the numbers of girls on CLL and other sites you're hardly going to be short of women to meet. And if I approached every pretty girl in Tianhe I'd never have made it to the metro station!

It's a bit different for me as well - the UK government no longer gives out fiance visas to non-English speakers. I guess they can learn. But some people are naturally rubbish at learning languages. I visited a guy who lives in China and my Mandarin seemed better than his. Also his wife seemed to speak hardly any English.

I haven't seen any Chinese girls with "no filipinos", but there are quite a few with "no black men" written in their profiles.

That tall girl looks like an Elf! She looks tall, but I'll raise you a 5'9" Gz lady who has just emailed my on CLL! Wow, she would look after me :lol:.

Have you got anywhere with DateInAsia? I didn't make much progress on there, but I don't have much time for it anyway given the amount of interests I get on CLL and CLM.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This Chinese woman from Shenzhen looks sincere, kind and good natured. A nice person probably.

http://www.dateinasia.com/chinapple.html

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

She looks nice, a bit like one of my ex's. Shame I've just booked up to go to Shanghai - Shenzhen girls will have to wait!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Winston wrote:This is the kind of Chinese woman I ideally want to meet. Dang! She looks perfect.

Well that perfect looking girl above never wrote me back. And now she's taken down her profile on Chinese Kisses. But I still have her email, so if any of you want to try to write her and see if she responds to you, here it is.

weiliangxiaoxiao at sina dot com

Just tell her that you were a member of Chinese Kisses before and got her email from there, but that you are no longer a member. If she responds to you, you can thank me. :)
Last edited by Winston on September 25th, 2012, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.