My Observations on Taiwan and Taiwanese People - Taboo but Truthful and Deep

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
De
Freshman Poster

Post by De »

I think you forgot to say that Taiwan is a very fake and superficial country!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

De wrote:I think you forgot to say that Taiwan is a very fake and superficial country!
Seems like most of the East Asian countries (except for Philippines, Thailand) is like that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Some new taboo observations about Taiwan that are offensive, yet true, which I realized and added to the article:

Taiwan has a very politically correct social culture that is superficial, practical, conformist, insular, cliquish, repressed and non-intellectual. There is an unspoken but obvious social rule that around others, you are always expected to act positive and cheerful, and only talk about superficial things. Anything to the contrary will weird people out, especially young adults, and may ostracize you from social groups. So you can't be negative (no matter how justified) or talk about deep things in Taiwan without looking like a misfit.

What this means is that if you are unhappy or don't like something in Taiwan (and there is a lot to dislike in Taiwan, that's for sure) then no one wants to hear about it, unless you have a close and understanding friend. For example, even though it's obvious that Taiwanese are generally closed, repressed and narrow, you are not allowed to SAY that they are. It's like the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome. In that sense, you are not allowed to tell the truth in Taiwan.

This means that you often can't be yourself in Taiwan. You see, in truth, no one can be positive all the time, human nature doesn't work that way since everything is made up of a union of opposites, as the Chinese Ying Yang symbol signifies. What this means is that at least half the time, you will not be able to be yourself in Taiwan around other people - who expect you to only say positive and superficial things. What this also means is that if you are an honest truthful intellectual in Taiwan, you may find a few friends, but you will not fit into social groups or cliques, because they are strict about these social rules and political correctness.

However, I do not agree with this social rule mandating political correctness in Taiwan. You see, I don't believe that just because something is negative, that it should be denied simply because it is politically incorrect. You must understand that political correctness is about control, NOT truth. And control = loss of freedom to say and think what you want. So, since I'm a "freedom junkie" I do not believe in such control and censorship, especially when it conflicts with reality. But sadly, most people are the opposite. They prefer political correctness, control and censorship over the truth.

Even blogs and website about Taiwan follow this social rule. They only say superficial positive things about Taiwan, and give some tourist information, but nothing deeper. I would venture to guess that it's because either the authors of these blogs/sites are on a superficial wavelength themselves, or they've been to Taiwan and know the social rule there, and follow it even online for some reason. Or, of course, they genuinely like Taiwan and want to say only positive things about it. (But I honestly can't see why, since I see more negatives than positives about Taiwan)

Now you may be asking, "But isn't it like that everywhere?" The answer is a resounding NO! And if you are asking this, then you've probably never spent much time outside of Taiwan, Japan or North America. The world outside of these areas is very different. In most of Europe, young adults are intellectual, open minded and passionate, and so is the culture (in comparison to Taiwan and America at least). In Russia for example, young adults commonly speak 3 or 4 languages (German and English are usually among them) and enjoy history as a hobby, not just as a school subject. (I know because I've spent a lot of time there)

And in Italy, Greece and Spain, art and history are part of the culture and passion of the people. It is not something that they "have to study in school", rather it is something they love naturally. Love of philosophy and intellectual subjects is common even in young adults (in total contrast to Taiwan), so it is not something that only "misfits and weirdos" like (as it is in Taiwan). People are also more open and relaxed, even toward strangers, as opposed to the repressed, uptight, insular nature of the Taiwanese and its extremely shy youth.

In contrast, in Taiwan the culture and people revolve around basic practicality - such as food, making money and raising a family - and conversation revolves around light superficial topics. People are also more repressed, uptight and insular. And young adults and teens are overly shy to the extreme. Obviously, what this means is that if you are an intellectual and/or passionate type, then European countries are a much better fit for you than Taiwan. (Keep in mind though, that being a misfit somewhere will gradually decrease your level of happiness and well-being if you stay there long term)

If you are on a deep wavelength, like writers and intellectuals are, you won't find many people in Taiwan who you can talk to on your level, since everyone acts like they are on a superficial wavelength. (Even if they aren't, they will still act like it in order to fit in) Some people may be open minded enough to listen to you, but they will not be able to contribute anything back. Taiwan is not a place to find deep intellectual conversation, that's for sure. Not to brag, but as far as I know, I seem to be the only Taiwanese freethinker. I honestly don't know any others. I guess that makes me really unique, but uniqueness comes with loneliness too.

This might be personal and subjective, but Taiwan seems to have some kind of negative energy vortex. I sense a vibe of misery and repression everywhere I go in Taiwan, which is draining and undermines my self-confidence and self-esteem. I do not like it at all. It's feels horrible and draining, like some kind of toxic radiation. It's like there are hungry ghosts sucking your soul or something (in addition to the sterile environment). I feel like something is trying to choke me in Taiwan. Perhaps it's because I don't fit in or share the narrow repressiveness of the Taiwan vibe, so it has this effect on me? I guess if you are narrow and repressed yourself, then you won't notice anything it, but if you aren't, you will?

Taiwanese personalities commonly come in two weird extremes: 1) grumpy, constipated, stern, strict facial expression (common among older generation), and 2) fake innocent cheesy corny "hello kitty" facial expression (common among young adults and teens). Ewww! Both of these suck and are abnormal and unnatural. How do you vibe with such unnatural personalities? I have no idea. Why can't Taiwanese just be normal and natural? I often feel like I'm the only one that's "normal" in Taiwan. It's like a Twilight Zone environment where normal is abnormal, and abnormal is normal. Really weird.

To be honest, Taiwan is the most UNINTERESTING country I've ever been to. And its people are the WEIRDEST I've ever met - totally closed, cold, strict, repressed, almost inhuman. I don't understand why they are like that. How the hell am I supposed to "act" around such people? I'm confused and I don't get it. I'm nothing like them, thank goodness. This might sound bad, but in Taiwan, I feel like i'm the only one that's "normal". I know that sounds terrible, but I don't know how else to put it.

Publicly, everyone says that "Taiwanese are very friendly". But they NEVER differentiate or specify what they mean, not even in blogs or websites. The term "friendly" is loosely used, even by people who don't mean it, just to appear nice. But in reality, the fact is, people do not generally smile or make eye contact with strangers in Taiwan. The only people that do are elderly or older folks, and customer service people (who are paid to be friendly and helpful). But definitely not young adults, especially females (since females are more guarded toward strangers than males are of course), who are more closed and excessively shy. If they don't know you, they will not acknowledge your existence or talk to you, unless you are introduced to them by a mutual friend.

This pattern is virtually 100 percent consistent throughout Taiwan. It's an obvious and consistent pattern that anyone can see, but no one talks about - probably because by bringing it up, you will appear to be saying that "Taiwanese are cold and unfriendly" which is negative and taboo/forbidden. This is true of multi-cultural social groups consisting of foreigners in Taiwan as well.

Yet I seem to be the only one who verbally differentiates and specifies such patterns and differences. No one else does, at least not publicly. So it's like telling the truth in Taiwan makes me a misfit. Weird. I guess most people are programmed to never say anything taboo or politically correct. They desperately want to fit in and be accepted by others, which is more important to them than telling the truth or being honest and aware. But as an intellectual and introvert, I am more apt to remain true to my "inner self/inner life" and tell the truth honestly and accurately, rather than be fake to follow the norm, which I see as inauthentic.

I guess that makes me different from others. But then again, if being honest and authentic makes me different from the crowd, and if telling the truth makes me a misfit, then that speaks volumes about what a dysfunctional society and social culture this is. And I am not afraid to say that. Where I come from, being brave, confident and courageous enough to follow your heart and tell the truth is encouraged and valued, and if that makes me a misfit in a repressed insular culture like Taiwan, then so be it.

Many of the greatest writers, intellectuals and freethinkers throughout world history agree with me on this. To understand what I mean, see their quotes here: http://www.happierabroad.com/Quotes_Insanity.htm

Thanks for reading these taboo but deep and truthful observations.
Last edited by Winston on December 7th, 2012, 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

...if you spend less time writing about how much you dislike living there, and more time on your efforts to move, you'd go to China sooner than later.
keepingitreal
Freshman Poster

Post by keepingitreal »

I've wrote on the guest book after I read your articles on the East Asian Mentality. Dude you still in Taiwan? I highly recommend you to move outta that poisonous environment. It does damage to your mental well being if you stay there too long.

I moved to the US from that place when I was 14. I put it this way: It's a society that was created by a control freak excuse of a woman, and for women, or at least it appears that way. You can tell from the way they dress, the way how they handling any mistake and frustration, the way how they physically abuse their youngings in their family - I've seen the rednecks here beat the shit out of their kids as well, but for some reason, East Asian child abusers' method seem to be the most sexualizing and "kinky" one. I guess it's partially due to the fact how kids are so obedient toward their tormentors.

And for those of y'all here don't know what I'm talking about, Taiwan and East Asia in general has been child abuse capital of the world. Thus created those robotic zombies you see on the street of Taipei, Seoul, Singapore and those coastal cities in China as well as Westcoast cities in the US like LA, San Francisco and Seattle. You're dealing with traumatized child abuse victims, that's why they acting weird and....feminine, child abuse can done huge damages to one's dignity and self-esteem, which are required to be a man.

Anyways, I know you want to vent about this. I know that feeling trust me. But instead, you should move out of Taiwan. More time working toward a way of getting out instead of complaining. When it's all over and you're OUT OF that environment, then you can say as much as you want.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Behold! I've just finished writing the most taboo article about Taiwan ever written in world history! Guaranteed! Check it out at the link below.

The Dark Side of Taiwan

WARNING: This is the most TABOO article about Taiwan ever written. Guaranteed. It is nothing like the rest in that it does NOT follow the social rule that everything said or written about Taiwan has to be positive, lighthearted and politically correct. Quite the contrary. Instead, it breaks this rule completely and breaks this taboo in the name of truth, and exposes dark and negative truths about Taiwan that no one else dares to say. In that sense, it stands out from the rest, and will probably be ostracized for that reason. But the truth is the truth, so this will be posted online anyway for all seeking the truth about Taiwan to find. But be warned though, this is NOT for the mainstream politically correct crowd, which is likely to find this article very offensive, no matter how true it is. So if that bothers you, then this article is not for you.

URL to full article:
http://blog.happierabroad.com/2012/12/dark-taiwan.html
Last edited by Winston on January 22nd, 2013, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
keepingitreal
Freshman Poster

Post by keepingitreal »

Yeah I'm reading that blog. You know what? The problem with East Asian people in general (Chinese people particularly, and Taiwan amongst them.), is that some Chinese people are too overly conservatives. They grew up in an over-protected and sheltered environment, which makes them unable to think outside of the box. Yet they're punished for little things in a way that not just Westerners, even Latinos, Africans and Middle Easterns cannot imaging.

The social setting contributes large part to the problems. In many East Asian areas (once again, Taiwan's the worst.), people simply don't work on their social skills as any jack ass who lived over the age of 45 will automatically get a huge amount of people kissing their asses. They just simply don't grow up mentally. With that being said, they don't work on their charisma nor social skills to gain respect, which made them bad leaders and abusive parents.

When people grew up under abusive parents and have to work for those mean ass bosses when they grow up, they have low self-esteem, which contribute to the factor of the "collectiveness" that many Westerners observed. They're clannish, conservative, "comformist" as you'd like to call them, and believe the whole "academic success is the only way." shit without even take a single look outside of the whole propaganda (Matter fact, I highly doubt they're even being honest about themselves on that one.). They act that way because that's how insecure people act.

The key to solve this problems is that East Asians need to be honest about themselves. Once they do, they'll realize that they want to move out and be free of this poison. The school system need to be changed and it needs to encouraging more financial independence so that way kids can stand a chance of being free of the real hard line, traditional families they might be living with. And also, I'd say that we might need some social taboo regarding child abuse...correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I heard, in some Muslim countries in the Middle East and North Africa, if someone physically abuse his/her kid the way how East Asians do, the person's family will kill him/her before the police come. When you have a 4 year old girl canned on her crotches for shaking her legs by dinner table or 10 year old girl standing outside with only underwear and bras for bad grades, you know it's a repressive society with little taboos regarding child abuse and not religious at all. Despite what liberals said, you don't need religions to be a backward, traditionalist asshole.
Last edited by keepingitreal on December 5th, 2012, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
keepingitreal
Freshman Poster

Post by keepingitreal »

And as for you, Winston. What you need to do is to move out of Taiwan. Also, if you really want to change what you've seen over there, you should start a blog or website to let the world more aware of this issue and offer the solutions for the problems.

And you've mentioned about Seattle. I gotta say that Seattle freeze is a whole different story. They might appears to be similar, but the way how they originated is different. First, there are many organic food eating, animal rights activist, free Tibet types in Seattle. While they claims to be liberals, they're in fact very stuck up, just like their conservative counterpart. With so many of them over there, plus the Microsoft dorks who works for Microsoft in Eastside Suburbs, the entire atmosphere is very stuck up, overly-studied, nerdy and anti-social. Not as much in the south of the city and certain parts of the Downtown though.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Amen keepingitreal. Finally someone who tells the truth about Taiwan and doesn't give in to the fake hype and political correctness. But why is it that every other website about Taiwan only says nice positive things about how "Taiwan is so beautiful and people are so friendly!" (making a dorky face)

It's like Taiwan is a religious cult where everyone is only allowed to talk about how wonderful it is. Don't you hate that? Is this due to political correctness, or is everyone under some kind of cult brainwashing about Taiwan? How come I'm not?

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If you're bored, or if you're a negative person and want to read non-PC, negative comments from Chinese internet, look for "发霉啦" (發霉啦), aka "FML" / "fml". It's a bilingual Chinese-English internet slang.

發霉啦 = Fa Mei Lah, it means "it grew mold!". In internet slang it takes the first letter from each character to form "FML", or "F*ck My Life". The contents of fml posts are like the mold growing on your expired bread. Note that Chinese internet users don't always capitalize acronyms, so it's often written as "fml".

If you'd rather see pictures of girls in various poses, search for "妹子图" (妹子圖). It's better than reading fml posts!

Winston wrote: It's like Taiwan is a religious cult where everyone is only allowed to talk about how wonderful it is. Don't you hate that? Is this due to political correctness, or is everyone under some kind of cult brainwashing about Taiwan? How come I'm not?
...ever watch the local news on TV ?

keepingitreal
Freshman Poster

Post by keepingitreal »

Momopi, have you noticed that many of the tv news over there broadcast all the small news and all that? It always resemble some sort of neighborhood news rather than an actual tv news. The news reporter just try to over-dramatize murder cases to make themselves look big, but what happened to the real critics who know about the problems with that society through observations skills?

I mean let's face it, everyone is basically into the same shit. There's little various different opinions, even the ones who appears they do, they just do it for shows. The only actual different opinions are Taiwan independence or not, and yet Taiwan's international statue still remains the same.
keepingitreal
Freshman Poster

Post by keepingitreal »

And as for those websites that been saying good things about Taiwan are either:

a. Ran by Taiwanese or Taiwanese-American. Remember this, Taiwaneses are just like any other East Asians. They care a whole lot about their faces that it looks ridiculous. In a way, I'm actually lucky to be a reject before I moved from Taiwan to the US when I was 14. I actually able to think on my own.

b. Ran by Western liberals who are into cultural preservation (through their sick minds, they'd rather see a non-White person act like Borat to be considered "cultural" than actually working on improving their condition both physically and mentally.).

c. Those son of bitches I've mentioned in b are most likely anti-China as well. Taiwan just provide them an extra excuse to be "intellectual" and to bash China.

d. Ran by Western PC freaks who don't want to hurt Taiwanese's feeling.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

keepingitreal wrote:Momopi, have you noticed that many of the tv news over there broadcast all the small news and all that? It always resemble some sort of neighborhood news rather than an actual tv news. The news reporter just try to over-dramatize murder cases to make themselves look big, but what happened to the real critics who know about the problems with that society through observations skills?
I mean let's face it, everyone is basically into the same shit. There's little various different opinions, even the ones who appears they do, they just do it for shows. The only actual different opinions are Taiwan independence or not, and yet Taiwan's international statue still remains the same.
There are too many news channels and not enough news. TW reporters give ambulance chasers a brand new meaning.
keepingitreal
Freshman Poster

Post by keepingitreal »

And that's because Taiwan's own social pattern which created a nation with money but without any real power. Which created little news to report.

Also I've been wondering how come nobody dare to stand out and saying anything about that society in general. Everybody seems like brain dead zombie despite the fact that they been studying all the time. There are little political activism and social reforms other than your typical Taiwan independence protests here and there. With all these combined reasons, no wonder why there's no news to report.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

keepingitreal wrote:And that's because Taiwan's own social pattern which created a nation with money but without any real power. Which created little news to report.
Also I've been wondering how come nobody dare to stand out and saying anything about that society in general. Everybody seems like brain dead zombie despite the fact that they been studying all the time. There are little political activism and social reforms other than your typical Taiwan independence protests here and there. With all these combined reasons, no wonder why there's no news to report.
...the issue is not the lack of social commentary, it's too many voices in too many channels. There are some worthy gems, but their voices are drowned among the numerous Taiwanese Wally George's.

Back when TW was under martial law, Bo Yang's (author of "Ugly Chinese") social commentaries was unique because few others dared it. Today every joe blow can have his soapbox. Here's a sample article from Bo Yang: http://www.angelfire.com/hi/hayashi/uchinese.html

keepingitreal wrote: The key to solve this problems is that East Asians need to be honest about themselves. Once they do, they'll realize that they want to move out and be free of this poison. The school system need to be changed and it needs to encouraging more financial independence so that way kids can stand a chance of being free of the real hard line, traditional families they might be living with.
...you're assuming that the person is not lazy. Lazy people who are honest will admit that they enjoy the parasite single lifestyle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_single

You'll find the non-lazy, self-motivated Taiwanese working in Shanghai, attending Beida for MBA in Beijing, on working holiday in AU, etc., cooking their own meals, doing their own laundry, and living as an adult instead of having mommy change their bed sheets at home: http://www.backpackers.com.tw/forum/for ... 279c&f=272

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYIYT-RT ... ults_video[/youtube]