Thailand - Retirement Paradise For Western Men

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Thailand - Retirement Paradise For Western Men

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 2:30 am

Well, to be honest, this is a bit a different story, the article says he was 'on holiday' in January, February and March in Cambodia and now it is May and he is still there... burglars and everything inside and outside will be gone.
It says he was a teacher and he was working there. I wouldn't work there however cheap it was or however easy the girls were (not that he did, he had a western girlfriend...). People punt that place as a retirement destination because it has lax laws. A mate went out there and said the night life was full of yank vets of the Gulf/Afghan wars off their heads and packing heat - no thanks. :?

NB: It does say in the subheading that he was on 'holiday' in January but it says he was took ill whilst at work and in the classroom, probably working on a tourist visa.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Thailand - Retirement Paradise For Western Men

Post by Yohan »

yick wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 6:13 pm

.....I wouldn't work there however cheap it was or however easy the girls were (not that he did, he had a western girlfriend...). People punt that place as a retirement destination because it has lax laws. A mate went out there and said the night life was full of yank vets of the Gulf/Afghan wars off their heads and packing heat - no thanks. :?
I think so too, Cambodia for me is only worth a side trip for a few days, not over one week, to be away from Thailand...
After one week, I always got the feeling, I have to move on to somewhere else or to move back to Thailand where I have my own rooms.

The country is small, there are only a few cities there, Siem Reap, Battambang, Phnom Penh, Preah Sihanouk, Stung Treng, and some border point cities like Poipet or Pailin...
some of these cities are getting very dark during night, bring your torch light with you...
People are however very friendly, I cannot say anything negative about Cambodia as a short-time visitor, but it is getting boring soon....

If you want to move around in the countryside, it is often very hot, some roads in the Western part are not really safe, still plenty of explosives around, do not use narrow side connection roads or walking paths to temples without some locals going with you....they usually provide motorcycles, carry your luggage, can communicate in fairly good English, some elderly still using French, and it's cheap and a nice tour...for a few dollars but there is not much to see, two or three times it's ok....

About foreigners, I saw many more Russians and Chinese compared to a few US-vet in some places in Cambodia - but I do not feel disturbed by them...You cannot expect to be alone or only among locals nowadays wherever you go in this world....