Is the sky really falling in Russia, Belarus, & the Ukraine?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is the sky really falling in Russia, Belarus, & the Ukraine?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

WorldTraveler wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 6:48 pm
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 2:40 pm
One critically important thing is that girls who speak no English are the BEST. English speakers have probably dated foreign men and can have any foreman they want. Russian speakers still dream of a foreign man and have little hope of meeting one because of the language barrier. They will be mesmerized by your even being able to converse with them and you will have immediate social proof and high value in their eyes.
So you speak Russian, read Russian, or use a translator?

I've taken out girls with poor English or ones that can only write in English, but seldom ones who don't speak or understand English.
I speak on the higher end of intermediate Russian or the lower end of advanced Russian depending on who you ask. I took Advanced Russian at the University of Estonia and it was very difficult but I held my own giving speeches, giving presentations, and having in-depth discussions of current events. I also read and write it, but oddly, my comprehension of spoken Russian is still challenging because there are so many accents and pronunciations across the region. I understand the Ukrainians pretty well though.

Russian-speakers think I speak better than I do but that's only because my grammar and pronunciation is good for a foreigner. But a lot of everyday Russians often use terminology and slang that is unfamiliar to me.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Looks super dead in Kiev. I remember it always much more crowded 5 to 10 times more people. Covid-19 must be keeping the people away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuqFtRLcLo&t
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

July 3rd, 2020, 6:59 pm
WorldTraveler wrote:
One critically important thing is that girls who speak no English are the BEST. English speakers have probably dated foreign men and can have any foreman they want. Russian speakers still dream of a foreign man and have little hope of meeting one because of the language barrier. They will be mesmerized by your even being able to converse with them and you will have immediate social proof and high value in their eyes.

I've taken out girls with poor English or ones that can only write in English, but seldom ones who don't speak or understand English.
I speak on the higher end of intermediate Russian or the lower end of advanced Russian depending on who you ask. I took Advanced Russian at the University of Estonia and it was very difficult but I held my own giving speeches, giving presentations, and having in-depth discussions of current events. I also read and write it, but oddly, my comprehension of spoken Russian is still challenging because there are so many accents and pronunciations across the region. I understand the Ukrainians pretty well though.

Russian-speakers think I speak better than I do but that's only because my grammar and pronunciation is good for a foreigner. But a lot of everyday Russians often use terminology and slang that is unfamiliar to me.
No wonder you spend your time in FSU. I would to if I spoke and read it that well. How many years have you been going there for?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

WorldTraveler wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 7:17 pm
July 3rd, 2020, 6:59 pm
WorldTraveler wrote:

No wonder you spend your time in FSU. I would to if I spoke and read it that well. How many years have you been going there for?
My first extended time there was 2006, but I visited St. Petersburg, Russia for 2 weeks in about 2002.

Since Russian is similar to Serbian/Croatian/Montenegrin/Bosnian (all essentially the same language), I will likely study that next.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Given the topics on this forum, I thought this thread was going to be about whether the sky was __literally__ falling in Russia.