Difference between Russians and Anglo-Saxons

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Difference between Russians and Anglo-Saxons

Post by ladislav »

Anglo Saxons have very well developed logic, common sense and pragmatism. They are not very emotional, but cool and composed people. No mood swings, reserved, in control of their feelings, and predictable. However, they can appear to be very aloof and unfriendly. Much into privacy and mistrustful of strangers.

The Russians, otoh, are romantic, poetic, emotional, unpredictable, with bad common sense and distorted logic. They are sophists. When they talk, they appear to be intelligent, but they commit one logical fallacy after another. They also have wild mood swings -- from being extremely happy, friendly and affectionate to being very dark and hostile.

Plus, the Russians can get very violent while Anglo Saxons have better impulse control. At the same time, Russians immediately become friends, share everything, enjoy a good conversation, while an Anglo Saxon would sit alone and not talk to a stranger. Very xenophobic ( socially speaking, not in business).

In Russia, social cliques are open, while in an Anglo Saxon country, they are closed.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Difference between Russians and Anglo-Saxons

Post by MrMan »

ladislav wrote:
December 11th, 2021, 7:18 pm
Anglo Saxons have very well developed logic, common sense and pragmatism. They are not very emotional, but cool and composed people. No mood swings, reserved, in control of their feelings, and predictable. However, they can appear to be very aloof and unfriendly. Much into privacy and mistrustful of strangers.

The Russians, otoh, are romantic, poetic, emotional, unpredictable, with bad common sense and distorted logic. They are sophists. When they talk, they appear to be intelligent, but they commit one logical fallacy after another. They also have wild mood swings -- from being extremely happy, friendly and affectionate to being very dark and hostile.

Plus, the Russians can get very violent while Anglo Saxons have better impulse control. At the same time, Russians immediately become friends, share everything, enjoy a good conversation, while an Anglo Saxon would sit alone and not talk to a stranger. Very xenophobic ( socially speaking, not in business).

In Russia, social cliques are open, while in an Anglo Saxon country, they are closed.
I wonder if you are describing drunk Russians. :) I hear in Russia and the Ukraine, if you go around smiling, people think you are stupid. Do they make exceptions for when they are drinking?
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

ladislav wrote:
December 11th, 2021, 7:18 pm

I wonder if you are describing drunk Russians. :) I hear in Russia and the Ukraine, if you go around smiling, people think you are stupid. Do they make exceptions for when they are drinking?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Not smiling at strangers on the streets. But say, when they meet on a train or a bus, or standing in line. They talk and they become friends.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Huddo
Freshman Poster

Post by Huddo »

I’ve never acknowledged the no smiling thing. I’ll smile at strangers, say g’day and usually get a smile back. I don’t speak a word of Russian, but this is how I’ve been invited into random stranger homes and usual walk away with more Russian friends that I started with after each trip.

There’s a babuska in the deli section of the supermarket I use. We have never understood a word we’ve said to each other, but after multiple smiles to her she finally cracked. Now she sees me in the supermarket and her face lights up, motions me over and sneaks me free samples to try before I buy.

My GF will laugh, smile and goof around in public, but won’t smile at strangers like me. Go out to dinner and she’ll be smiling and laughing, but as soon as a camera comes out so does a stoic expressionless face. She’ll do sexy and sultry, but never a smile in a picture. I won’t smile in a picture with her as it looks ridiculous with me smiling and her not.