Sovereign Man Reporting From: Santiago, Chile

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Sovereign Man Reporting From: Santiago, Chile

Post by Mr S »

I recommend this site for those looking for ideas on how to be a successful expat :idea:

Sample Newsletter:

Sovereign Man

Notes from the Field

Date: May 10, 2011
Reporting From: Santiago, Chile

I call Chile the new America, and if you're looking for a place where you can be expected to take care of yourself, where you are responsible for your own successes and failures, and where the government stays out of your business, this is your place.

One of the things that I enjoy so much about Chile is its growing business culture, and how hungry the government is to compete for productive people... regardless of where they come from.

But yesterday in the Huffington Post , there was an article that captured something that I haven't read yet anywhere else in the mainstream press, and I was surprised to see it: Chile is actually beginning to challenge the United States as a favored entrepreneurial destination.

Many Americans are shunning their homeland and hopping a plane for Santiago where the comparisons to California not only apply to the fantastic weather, gorgeous landscape, and mellow people, but also to Silicon Valley's savvy tech startup culture. Many are starting to call it "Chilecon Valley."

This isn't some haphazard, glad-handing photo op for the government to show that they're doing something about entrepreneurship. President Sebastian Pinera is a self-made billionaire. He understands that the best way to maintain Chile's economic growth is to create homegrown companies capable of producing the next big thing.

The government recently launched a program called Startup-Chile, which provides $40,000 in working capital to entrepreneurs and a host of other incentives like residency and work permits for foreign labor. There are many success stories from this program already, and this is no small feat.

You see, a culture that embraces entrepreneurialism is a culture that accepts failure. The two go hand in hand. No successful businessman has a perfect track record... in fact, most have a record of terrible failures. I certainly do, and I've learned more from my failures (both investment and business) than any success.

Yet in many of the machismo cultures across Latin America, commercial failure is regarded as a matter of dishonor. If one fails at business, he has embarrassed himself, his family, and his teachers. For this reason, most people just avoid the prospect of starting their own business, it's not worth the risk of humiliation.

This risk averse mentality has slowly begun to change in Chile, and they've done it in part by infusing society with foreigners who have the experience and personal anecdotes to say, 'Hey, it's OK to fail...'

University programs now abound with business and entrepreneurial programs talking about the benefits and lessons learned in failure. You even see advertisements on buses now encouraging people to turn their ideas into reality.

Meanwhile, the government has been rolling out the red carpet for foreign entrepreneurs with the idea that local Chileans will be able to learn from their technical expertise and business experience.

Foreigners are all too eager to come. It's becoming more and more of a burden to be a productive citizen in the United States with so much government regulation being passed and pending that is absolutely crippling to startups.

The next Google, whether it's in the green energy, biotech, or agriculture space, needs the opportunity to flourish in an environment that's rich on talent, incentives, and cost effective infrastructure, and low on burdensome regulatory and administrative hurdles.

More and more, Chile is fulfilling this role better than the United States.

Until tomorrow,

Simon Black
Senior Editor, SovereignMan.com
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

What Simon Black doesn't get is that a lot of the food is unhealthy like the US and Chile has the ugliest Latinas in all of S. America and all of Latin America as a whole.

There is an increase in feminism down there, and there are alot of Chilenas gritando "Soy independiente y una feminista" I kid you the f**k not.

I know you guys may not believe me. Ask F. Schmidt (Fschmidt), send him a PM right now!!

PS: Don't try to travel between geographical politically-marked regions within Chile without legit papers (visa, passport, working papers) or else you can end up locked up - especially
if you overstayed your visa and the company you have worked for hasn't filed to the Chilean government that you are working for them even though your employer may
have lied saying that your visa application is "en tramite" (in progress/processing), not "en transmite", but "en trámite", tell them that if they stop you for any reason so that
your ass doesn't get locked up in Chile because they will do it if your shit isn't correct. And always be cordial to them.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Well the thing is out of all the countries in South America; Chile has the highest GDP. Surely that's a good reason it's feminized like you say it is.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

well-informed wrote:Well the thing is out of all the countries in South America; Chile has the highest GDP. Surely that's a good reason it's feminized like you say it is.
Be my guest, pana. Check it out if you don't believe me. Fly down there. You'll get ass, but a lot of them are fugly and a lot of them have this independent migrain. And the food is to live for, not to die for if you get my drift.

After 1973, Chile had crazy assistance from the US government to get on the track of where they are today in fear that the US Gov't didn't want Chile to become another Cuba without US intervention. I lived there for a year and a half, and they listen to more pop music than Latin music there; again, I kid you the f**k not. I know the "half" (ebonics-speak).

80s American pop John Cougar Mellencamp/Van Halen/Whitesnake/Motley Crue music gets more spins than Aventura, Rakim y Ken-Y, Wisin y Yandel, etc.
And Tego gets almost no spins in Chile, maybe on an underground Hip-Hop 2-hour show on a mainstream station wkly. in Santiago de Chile, but that's it.

They act more Germanic White than they act Latino...yes, there was a mass immigration to Chile from Germany eons ago but some of them mixed with Mapuche Indian down there.

Again, PM fschmidt for verdedera evidencia, pana. He has been there, too.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

If you read Simon's newsletters he seems to push Paraguay a lot too. I think he is originally from Australia if I'm not mistaken. I don't think he has left his country due to the women and social problems in that and other Western Anglo-countries, he is more of an ex-pat libertarian type business man who tries to find the best opportunities to make money with the least amount of red tape and taxes. He seems to prefer the South Western side countries in South America to promote regularly on his blog. I would assume he probably feels comfortable in those countries if they still cater to nostalgic type 80's Euro-latin culture mix and probably feels comfortable being around former immigrant Europeans that go back generations.

I think he fell in love with Latin America long ago and just has rooted there, much like others who end up going to parts of Asia or Eastern Europe. He probably has gotten comfortable.

He seems to know what he is talking about regarding investments and business opportunities as an ex-pat, but as we must all remember it is through his eyes and experiences so others who have been to those countries he promotes may look at them far differently then he does.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

well-informed wrote:Well the thing is out of all the countries in South America; Chile has the highest GDP. Surely that's a good reason it's feminized like you say it is.
I don't think that's it. Singapore and Japan are richer than Chile and less feminized. I suspect that Chile was always somewhat culturally screwed up and is only wealth because they were lucky enough to have had a sensible dictatorship that fixed their economy. Without dictatorship, they would have been as poor as any other Latin American country. Now that the dictatorship is gone, Chile will slowly sink into feminism and poverty.