Chinese in Peru

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
FuzzX
Freshman Poster

Chinese in Peru

Post by FuzzX »

Hi guys... for those of you who have been to Peru

I have heard there is 1.3 million chinese expats living in Peru. Has anyone been to the china town areas or is it just completely flooded with chinese. I'm thinking of combining the best of both worlds: latin girls who can cook chinese food. :D

Also as far as I understand, there is no degree required to teach in Peru?
dano
Freshman Poster

Re: Chinese in Peru

Post by dano »

FuzzX wrote:Hi guys... for those of you who have been to Peru

I have heard there is 1.3 million chinese expats living in Peru. Has anyone been to the china town areas or is it just completely flooded with chinese. I'm thinking of combining the best of both worlds: latin girls who can cook chinese food. :D

There's no degree required to teach english anywhere! About 40% of the english teachers in Taiwan and Korea teach with fake degrees. I had a real degree and tesol certificate however.

http://www.phonydiploma.com/

I taught english in China last year but left after 2 months. I just wasn't very good at teaching. My old school is always hiring if your interested, English First Wuxi, Jiangsu Province. You can save about $500 a month.
FuzzX
Freshman Poster

Post by FuzzX »

marry me? I think I'm in love :D

God this site rocks!
FuzzX
Freshman Poster

Post by FuzzX »

I've heard of tons of people doing this... doesn't immigration check when you are applying for a visa? I've always just gone on a tourist visa.
dano
Freshman Poster

Post by dano »

FuzzX wrote:I've heard of tons of people doing this... doesn't immigration check when you are applying for a visa? I've always just gone on a tourist visa.
I heard you can also buy fake degrees on Kho San Road in Bangkok, Thailand for $50. If your good with photoshop you can probably just make your own. Just buy some certificate paper from Office Depot or Staples.

I heard of one guy in Korea that got 6 months in prison for teaching with a fake degree. There might have been other reasons for the prison time. Most times you just get detained and deported.

If you teach in China you shouldn't have any trouble teaching with a fake degree. As a country, China is fraudulant to the core. China does not require a transcipt(list of classes), just a diploma and tesol certificate.

The most important criteria for teaching english in my opinion is a really outgoing personality. I worked with a couple of guys that were salesman before they started teaching english, they could sell shit to a pig farmer. As a result, teaching was very easy for them. I'm a little too quiet and so I found it difficult.

Also, there is video on youtube of a teacher bragging about his fake degree in Korea, I'll try to find it for you.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

dano wrote:

There's no degree required to teach english anywhere! About 40% of the english teachers in Taiwan and Korea teach with fake degrees. I had a real degree and tesol certificate however.

I taught english in China last year but left after 2 months. I just wasn't very good at teaching. My old school is always hiring if your interested, English First Wuxi, Jiangsu Province. You can save about $500 a month.
If you ask the EFL Cafe goody-goodies they will insist on a 4 yr degree in English with a Celta.
Those of us in the real world know differently.

You can save about $700 or more a month, it costs next to nothing to live here. Food is $50 a month.

You can have a degree or just pay a visa service or just get in close with a good school with connections.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

The 1.3 million figure includes native-born Peru with partial ethnic Chinese ancestry. They don't all qualify as expats. The total number of ethnic Chinese and part Chinese in Peru accounts for 2-3% of the population only.
centralamericavoyage
Freshman Poster

Post by centralamericavoyage »

I don't know what the percentage of Chinese/Taiwanese are in Peru, but I have a friend of Taiwanese descent from Peru, and she indicated that there are many Asian communities in Peru. Also, the former prime minister, Alberto Fujimori, is of Japanese descent. So in general there seems to be a significant Asian population in Peru.
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

I once met a Colombian business man. His job required him to travel around Latin America. He once dated a Chinese-Peruvian. He said she was very pretty and her family owned a series of restaurants and businesses.
On my last trip to Colombia, I saw a television program hosted by South Americans of Asian ancestry. It was about Asian culture in South America.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Some random pics of a Chinese guy in Peru (not someone that I personally know), with the local girls. Very impressive huh?

I've never been to Peru, but would like to go there when I'm ready. :D
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Wow, thanks for the pics Falcon. The women are cute. I'll make sure to add Peru to countries that are friendly to Asian men in my itinerary.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Peruvians of mixed Asian descent number in the millions, and are known locally as "tusán" (from Chinese tusheng 土生, which means "native born"). Notice their last names too (they come in 2 parts - father's surname and mother's surname). Here's what they look like.

http://www.missperutusan.com/home/?q=node%2F31

http://misstusan.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Falcon on May 6th, 2012, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
adann
Freshman Poster

Post by adann »

Whoa Peru indeed seems to be Asian guy friendly. I may wanna check it out in the future! Nice looking mixed women too!
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Peru is the most Asian country in Latin America - it reminds me a lot of living in China -especially the f***ing driving. :lol:

I think it is 1.3 million people who are either Chinese or of Chinese descent. There are lots of actual Chinese people there but nothing like
1.3 million people (however, this will increase over the next 50-100 years).

Lots of Chinese food too - foreigners lament on the Chinese food there but I love Chifa - and it's everywhere!

As for teaching without a degree - do yourself a favour and get one or get one over there - as I have read about someone actually doing that. Jobs that don't require a degree are going to be uniformly shit.