Can You Be Happier Abroad? Maybe You'd Be Happier Back Home?

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.

Would you be Happier Back Home?

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes: 28
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

kai1275 wrote:Sorry to hear what? Sorry that I am super happy living in the US because I have an awesome wife? If anything I feel very sad for you single men here that complain constantly and never plan to do anything about it! God never designed men to be lonely the way most of you live. He created women for a reason, he saw that Adam was only kinda happy with everything he needed around him, needed something more in order to feel complete. If God saw no need for women, he would have destroyed her a long time ago, like he did with dinosaurs, etc..
I complain alot! :D Nothing wrong with that. But I also take the time to do something about my circumstances.

Just because one lives life without a female companion, doesn't make him a loser, unhappy or unnantural at all. And if you knew the truth about females, you'd be happy to do that. But you do not unfortunately, which makes me sad.

I'm pretty happy living in NA, because I've destroyed my destitution. I attract people who wanna give me money for the simplest tasks. If I want bigger things I work hard. But I now have no money worries, since I know I'll get big bucks eventually, it's just a matter of time and until then, I get a thin but constant trickle of financial blessings from money and tons of relevant coupons. One time I saved $40 in a month off 5 coupons. It's easy to get a couple bucks for snacks and drinks if I need it. There's always stuff for me to earn money from. I also work with employers who like my work and appreciate my work ethic. For every significant job I do, they give me a couple hundred bucks. Sometimes I'll shave a little off the top but generally I have everything I need.

I've destroyed my barriers to clearer judgement. I have no need for sex and women. I'm no longer depressed and know what to do in life, free from the mental shackles of the need to search for sexual satisfaction. This frees me up to just make money to support myself and since I don't need a lavish car, clothes and housing(since men usually only want those for sex with women), that's a whole lot of money I don't need to make.

Buddhism teaches you to free your mind, but the gurus never give you the "keys to the door", so to speak. Desire, or should I say depravity, only leads to suffering. The less you want, the less you need to do, and the less you need to be depressed about.

I have it made here. :)

What's the point of going abroad in that case? I'm still going for personal reasons, but I don't have the same urgency as most people do now.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

This is a pretty comical thread. I have to say that for some of you living in the U.S. makes perfect sense because you enjoy the basic creature comforts way more than being able to adapt to a different culture and lifestyle. Winston is kind of leading you guys in this trend.

I am currently living in an upper middle class environment in one of the top 50 neighborhoods in the U.S.

I can go to Costco and load my cart up with cheap premium craft beers, delicious steaks, electronics, etc.. However, sitting at home watching a big LED tv and stuffing my face is not what makes me happy. I like the parks here a lot but walking around in a mostly empty park looking at suburbanites with blank expressions power walk in circles does not make me happy. Being able to eat at fancy restaurants and go to theme parks does not make me happy. Looking at a lot of subpar American women with subpar attitudes does not make me happy. Watching people live in the same suburbanite homes, driving the same vehicles, while counting the pennies in their 401k keeping up with the joneses until the day they die does not make me happy.

I felt way more alive living in Bangkok. There was just a certain energy around the city with stuff always happening. I loved being able to walk out of my condo late at night and find a noodle stand down the street open. I liked the randomness and decadence of a country that didn't feel like a padded rubber room. I could easily go on a weekend jaunt to a nice beach for scuba diving or fly to some other country in SEA easily. The U.S. is good for a life which involve stability, earning income, and rule of law but it's terrible for actually living an interesting life.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Good luck monetizing your website!
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Repatriate wrote:This is a pretty comical thread. I have to say that for some of you living in the U.S. makes perfect sense because you enjoy the basic creature comforts way more than being able to adapt to a different culture and lifestyle. Winston is kind of leading you guys in this trend.
Your life is what you make of it. I also find new areas and exploration of cities to be amazing. West New York, NJ was a great place for me, because it was so unusual for a suburb. It had a hub for foreigners and a great shopping area. Add the incredible view of NYC, and I was very happy there. Easy to map out, and it had everything. It even has the best americanized Asian food in the country, when I went there one place had all organic ingredients! :D

However, it was a mere distraction. There are more important things for me to worry about, like getting more power and influence. :)
insanity
Freshman Poster

Post by insanity »

Repatriate wrote:This is a pretty comical thread. I have to say that for some of you living in the U.S. makes perfect sense because you enjoy the basic creature comforts way more than being able to adapt to a different culture and lifestyle. Winston is kind of leading you guys in this trend.

I am currently living in an upper middle class environment in one of the top 50 neighborhoods in the U.S.

I can go to Costco and load my cart up with cheap premium craft beers, delicious steaks, electronics, etc.. However, sitting at home watching a big LED tv and stuffing my face is not what makes me happy. I like the parks here a lot but walking around in a mostly empty park looking at suburbanites with blank expressions power walk in circles does not make me happy. Being able to eat at fancy restaurants and go to theme parks does not make me happy. Looking at a lot of subpar American women with subpar attitudes does not make me happy. Watching people live in the same suburbanite homes, driving the same vehicles, while counting the pennies in their 401k keeping up with the joneses until the day they die does not make me happy.

I felt way more alive living in Bangkok. There was just a certain energy around the city with stuff always happening. I loved being able to walk out of my condo late at night and find a noodle stand down the street open. I liked the randomness and decadence of a country that didn't feel like a padded rubber room. I could easily go on a weekend jaunt to a nice beach for scuba diving or fly to some other country in SEA easily. The U.S. is good for a life which involve stability, earning income, and rule of law but it's terrible for actually living an interesting life.
I agree with this a lot...All these things don´t make me happy either. You buy your newest smart phone for 600 USD. You enjoy it for a few days and then you are used to it and it´s nothing special. It doesn´t make you happy at all. It would have been a much better idea to work less instead of spending all this money on something that doesn´t improve your life.

When I am living in a western country all that I am looking forward to is consuming things. It´s sad but true...There is nothing else that seems enjoyable. But at the same time I realize that consuming more and more things doesn´t make me happy either. So I really can´t win. There is no enjoyment for me in the west...Most people seem totally alien to me and only seem to be interested in chasing women, partying and work. I can feel no sympathy.

Whenever I leave the west I start to actually feel alive...Hell I can even feel some sympathy to some of the westerners that I meet while being abroad. They seem a lot more approachable. Not all of them but some. Even if they are often dumbasses, but they are somewhat interesting to talk to.

Another big thing is that I get really frustrated when I think about what stupid shit my government is doing with my tax money. So much money wasted on so many stupid things... Just think about all the tax money going to feminist groups so they can go on their global political campaigns.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

C.J. wrote:
Your life is what you make of it. I also find new areas and exploration of cities to be amazing. West New York, NJ was a great place for me, because it was so unusual for a suburb. It had a hub for foreigners and a great shopping area. Add the incredible view of NYC, and I was very happy there. Easy to map out, and it had everything. It even has the best americanized Asian food in the country, when I went there one place had all organic ingredients! :D

However, it was a mere distraction. There are more important things for me to worry about, like getting more power and influence. :)
If the U.S. works for you then that's fine it's not a condemnation either way. Not all of us are prepared to live life as a eunuch in solitude surrounded by material possessions and distractions. I really don't feel MGOTW is compatible with the central focus of happierabroad even though the opinions are welcome.

To me NY is a soulless overpriced city filled with hipsters, bankers, and entertainment people trying to cling onto whatever is cool. Plus the Chinese food there pales in comparison with what can be found on the west coast. It only gets hyped because it's NY. Everything in NY is unauthentic.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

YES! In your face!
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Would living there with the most awesome wife ever make you happy? For me at this time, I need the American lifestyle without the AW part, but a awesome FW. I enjoy living in her parents hometown for a little while too. The spring waters, the mountains, the traditional Chinese culture, the kick ass food, fresh food everywhere, not like that shit off the floor Xiongmao gets tricked into eating in the big cities basically. Really it's not too much different than living in the countryside in the US, except alot less of the cultural stuff. When I go to Louisiana I feel super relaxed because the pace of life is soooo slow and calming with plenty of hunting and outdoors stuff.

All rural places or less megacity like places have disadvantages, and to be frank I hope to be able to move to one later in life after all my life goals have been met. Whether that be the US, China, or some other country I do not know yet, but alot can happen in 20-30 years, so we shall see. I do want to live in a comfortable place like you talked about. That much I do know.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

C.J. wrote:
kai1275 wrote:Sorry to hear what? Sorry that I am super happy living in the US because I have an awesome wife? If anything I feel very sad for you single men here that complain constantly and never plan to do anything about it! God never designed men to be lonely the way most of you live. He created women for a reason, he saw that Adam was only kinda happy with everything he needed around him, needed something more in order to feel complete. If God saw no need for women, he would have destroyed her a long time ago, like he did with dinosaurs, etc..
I complain alot! :D Nothing wrong with that. But I also take the time to do something about my circumstances.

Just because one lives life without a female companion, doesn't make him a loser, unhappy or unnantural at all. And if you knew the truth about females, you'd be happy to do that. But you do not unfortunately, which makes me sad.

I'm pretty happy living in NA, because I've destroyed my destitution. I attract people who wanna give me money for the simplest tasks. If I want bigger things I work hard. But I now have no money worries, since I know I'll get big bucks eventually, it's just a matter of time and until then, I get a thin but constant trickle of financial blessings from money and tons of relevant coupons. One time I saved $40 in a month off 5 coupons. It's easy to get a couple bucks for snacks and drinks if I need it. There's always stuff for me to earn money from. I also work with employers who like my work and appreciate my work ethic. For every significant job I do, they give me a couple hundred bucks. Sometimes I'll shave a little off the top but generally I have everything I need.

I've destroyed my barriers to clearer judgement. I have no need for sex and women. I'm no longer depressed and know what to do in life, free from the mental shackles of the need to search for sexual satisfaction. This frees me up to just make money to support myself and since I don't need a lavish car, clothes and housing(since men usually only want those for sex with women), that's a whole lot of money I don't need to make.

Buddhism teaches you to free your mind, but the gurus never give you the "keys to the door", so to speak. Desire, or should I say depravity, only leads to suffering. The less you want, the less you need to do, and the less you need to be depressed about.

I have it made here. :)

What's the point of going abroad in that case? I'm still going for personal reasons, but I don't have the same urgency as most people do now.
Great. You are a Buddhist or something else combined and a capitalist and I am semi-capitalist Christian. Two different ideologies I guess. I cannot live a monk-like lifestyle like you and some of the others like that. If you can great, more power to you.
insanity
Freshman Poster

Post by insanity »

Kai...Being married to an Asian women is one of the main reasons why I don´t live in the west. It would just ruin her and being married gives me a nice visa. So it´s even easier to live abroad.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

I pretty much agree with every word in your post. Once I retire I'll be able to do part time work anywhere that has an internet connection. Who knows in 10 years my tastes will change and perhaps I'll be more drawn to living in a more quiet town but I could easily see myself living in Bangkok or Chiang Mai because it's exciting! The good ol USA has a very long list of things that make it attractive but the level of excitement is not one of them.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

kai1275 wrote: Would living there with the most awesome wife ever make you happy?
Maybe. Right now the concentration is on myself and creating a lifestyle which makes me happy because I don't have responsibilities or obligations towards anyone else except maybe my parents. Plus i'm in a pretty good position in life with no debt and significant equity.

If I did find a wife that I thought was perfect then my responsibilities would shift towards providing a stable environment where we could have kids too. However, America has one major flaw and that is the divorce laws. If things don't work out you will get f***ed royally in the end. The thing you have to ask is relative material comfort and stability worth risking 50% of your assets down the road?

Because if things don't work out you will be chained to the U.S. for life paying down debt and living hand to mouth like so many other suckers. I'd still prefer living abroad especially if I was married.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

insanity wrote:Kai...Being married to an Asian women is one of the main reasons why I don´t live in the west. It would just ruin her and being married gives me a nice visa. So it´s even easier to live abroad.
I don't know your life's issues or your wife's but you guys need to stop repeating terrible talking points like that. Some men have weak relationship with their wives and cause that, and some have weak foreign wives that have bad values, and that happens. Djfourmoney keeps posting proof that only 20% foreign wife to American men end in divorce, and even less for Asian wives. The way you guys talk, you make it sound like it is 50+ or higher or 100%.

If your wife has issues like that, and you need to have more controls on her, that sucks for you.

Another silly thing is that you guys want to be married abroad so that you can better control the wife, is a tad misguided.. The wife will ALWAYS have a leg up on you if your marriage falls apart in her foreign country! In many of these countries you cannot even become a citizen of that country!! If my wife and I got divorced in China, they would give her everything and probably revoke my permanent family/L visa. Sure, we can try to live somewhere else that might have better divorce laws I suppose towards two foreigners, but seriously... Must we constantly arraign our lives around which country I can easily rule over my wife legally in, divorce her easily, and avoid certain responsibilities? Most of the time they won't let you hit your wife, like the locals do, because you are a f***ing foreigner!

Let all that shit go, and get the right wife in the first place! Do the best you can with other legal risks, but don't make a God out of that shit obsessing over it. At least you all have advantages other men trapped in the USA, (like with 3+ kids, mountains of debt, and always broke with no money and a she-demon bitch beast for an ex-wife) with no opportunity to find a nice foreign wife! There are guys that literally cannot afford to do anything right now. The rest of us are blessed that we know better or were lucky enough to unplug from the matrix sooner.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

kai1275 wrote:Great. You are a Buddhist or something else combined and a capitalist and I am semi-capitalist Christian. Two different ideologies I guess. I cannot live a monk-like lifestyle like you and some of the others like that. If you can great, more power to you.
Nothing wrong with abiding by the law. However if you want REAL power over yourself and influence over humans, you'll have to live said lifestyle. You cannot indulge/splurge your life away if you want true success. We just want two different things. I'm done with sex right now, because there are only negative effects beside your chemical imbalance making you happy. Once the time comes where you can't bang your health away, you'll see me in a lot of beds. :D
Repatriate wrote:If the U.S. works for you then that's fine it's not a condemnation either way. Not all of us are prepared to live life as a eunuch in solitude surrounded by material possessions and distractions. I really don't feel MGOTW is compatible with the central focus of happierabroad even though the opinions are welcome.

To me NY is a soulless overpriced city filled with hipsters, bankers, and entertainment people trying to cling onto whatever is cool. Plus the Chinese food there pales in comparison with what can be found on the west coast. It only gets hyped because it's NY. Everything in NY is unauthentic.
I only get what I need, I only buy food and drinks. I also use the money I get to buy what I need to develop projects. I don't get worthless electronics if I can't code with them. When I'm done, I just sell them for extra cash. For example, I only have an Xbox 360 and a TV in my apartment, because I code games with them and get paid. The only games I play on the console are the ones I test. Otherwise it collects dust. When I'm done with coding Xbox 360 games, I'm gonna sell the system and TV. But I've made so much money from it and still making money, you think I'm gonna throw it away now? :D

Less you want blah blah blah. :D I don't get distracted by the daily detritus of the west. You can know what's happening by reading 3 news stories a week. I don't care about the people. Social status and validation doesn't matter to me, because most people in the west are stupid fools, as well as most of the east. They have nothing to offer in a meaningful conversation. The only people who would be worth it for me to talk to are Russians/North Koreans/Chinese military, as well as any racial pride groups in the west. Regardless of which public opinion that you choose to follow, they all have way more interesting and heated things to say.
insanity
Freshman Poster

Post by insanity »

kai1275 wrote: I don't know your life's issues or your wife's but you guys need to stop repeating terrible talking points like that. Some men have weak relationship with their wives and cause that, and some have weak foreign wives that have bad values,
You are in for a terrible surprise if you seriously think your wife is not going to change when being exposed to western women and western media all day everyday. Does she have female friends in the US? If yes then they are going to change her, that´s just what women are like. If she has no friends she is going to feel terribly isolated and unhappy.

You are also in for a surprise if you think her new "value" is not going to effect her. She is likely much more attractive to American men as she was to Chinese ones. She will have men hitting on her all the time.

Humans are like that, has nothing to do with values. I have changed a lot since moving abroad too, it´s only natural.

I want a wife that is not like a western woman. So I don´t live in a western country with my wife because it´s going to change her a lot...Seems pretty rational to me.