Expatriation Apocalypse - My New Guide

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 11th, 2018, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Re: Expatriation Apocalypse - My New Guide For Broke Guys

Post by Eric »

Ghost wrote: Until you know what you really want, you can't really start your journey in earnest. You can wander the world, and although that will give you lasting memories and experiences, you want to think of your future as well. Many guys live life thinking they want what others want. Perhaps that's why consumerism is so contagious and how the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality is so prevalent. Most people do not think about anything beyond what they see directly. I know I'm doing much better now cutting out material attachments in my life. That alone lends so much freedom to life. Part of my dream is to live simply, without much material entrapment.
It is tempting for me to read about guys' sexual exploits in the Philippines or Thailand, for example. I've heeded and read the warnings about that being empty eventually - even though it sounds so awesome. I know I'll get plenty of sex in China or wherever I go. It'll just happen. YOu have to know what you really want, you're right. Time is your most important commodity. I knew what I wanted long ago, but it has changed to what I see in front of me, just like you said. This place definitely puts the Kibosh and turns you into a robotic human..roundabout. Though I'm 29 still, I am fairly young - I feel that I'm not that young - those years are gone. I need to do it now, not next year, now. Everything from the Bhagavad Gita to the Bible says what you're saying about materialism...I know it's true.
Just to add to my other post. Yes, habits we have will stay with us but in a different environment they won't be supported anymore.
It is kind of like joining a moving river with a current again - everything supports life and vitality, growth health.
If you're in a healthy environment you will naturally move toward health, everything in your life will be toward health. Americans will say "well it's unhealthier in China! What makes you think it will be better there - the air is bad and, there is smog. It's unhealthy." ..of course I tried explaining it to them, but they already have their minds made up for them. It's useless. It is demoralizing.
I'm sick to death of people telling me the same responses when I say I want to get out of here. My favorite one of all time is the... "Every place is what you make of it" in a patronizing condescending tone (I can't stand this one and it really flips my lid), or "It's not much better anywhere else in the world,.." in a condescending way.
I'm sick of it. ...they want everything to be good here. To be great, but that doesn't make it that way!
If everything were the same, why would anyone go to China or a different culture. This elitist tone of "everything's greatest in America" makes me want to get out of here, more than anything!

I'm anxious and dislike that I feel I have to 'wait for my life to start' while I'm waiting to go to China, but I'm taking steps now at moving forward. That's just how it is. I'm nervous and anxious about teaching - I've never done it before, but somehow I hope my decision will survive and it'll work for me. I know I'm intelligent and very capable, I have a lot of skills and talents and abilities to offer, and once I get in a 'supportive' environment, I think I'll be okay. I do have the sense of that...
The cultures are so different, the values of what people want (or what Americans think that they want/ but haven't really decided for themselves) vs. what you really want as a person. As here you have no choice. It is chosen for you - and you are given the illusion of choice, to work within that framework. Which is slavery.

My one concern is that I know we are exporting this crap to the rest of the world. How long before China is turning into the new America? ...It depresses me. I hope the Chinese and other cultures have enough sense and self preservation of culture to deny such changes from occurring, but I do think of this, it disturbs me. I can see why China regulates the internet.
Of course Americans would think..."well how oppressive and cruel, they don't even allow internet!" ....total, no understanding.
Some of the girls I talked to online - correspondents- were young and 'seemed' westernized, which was depressing, to me.
I hope this is not a new trend. Is there still a lot of old traditional culture in China?
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

I will be going to Beijing.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

I have options to go to other different cities in China, which would you recommend? I think there are literally around 14 or so I could choose from - which is best?

Thanks, to anyone.
I keep wondering, I can't help but wonder if I should check out Philippines, or some other places...? that which I keep hearing about. It all sounds very wonderful. I want to make the right choice.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Ghost wrote:Apparently these losers have nothing better to do. Here's the latest idiot, and this one isn't even about my book:
I never received this Kindle book!!! Thanks a lot, Amazon!
That's hilarious. So Amazon fails to deliver a purchase, and that's my fault? :lol:

I could report such an obvious sandbagging, but I welcome such reviews. The reviews of feminists, liberals, and other idiots will only raise my cred with my audience. There's no bad publicity.
I agree that bad reviews by femtwats are good, but I think you should report that comment about not receiving the book. In fact I signed in just to tell you that. It's not going to help you, it'll probably put some people off (even though it's stupid and has nothing to do with you). Also, you should charge more. $1.97 is too low. Try $3.00 or $3.50. You could increase your income by 50 to 75%.

By the way, how on earth did you manage to get such a good ranking? Are you doing any marketing outside of Amazon? I've had my book on there for almost 2 years and my ranking is terrible.

Have you seen my comment on the feminist's review?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Post by USA_luxury_prison »

Ghost wrote:I recently finished writing a guide to becoming an expat, focusing on the young, broke, and hopeless demographic. It’s based on what I’ve learned as an HAer trying to get out of this position myself. Over the past two years I’ve been making notes about things I’ve learned attempting to be happier abroad, which eventually became this guide. Here is the link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Expatriation-Apoc ... 00XU1Y0HA/

Many resources on the internet for expats assume that you already have money. These resources are good, but useless if you don’t already have wealth. So this is a big disconnect from what most would-be HAers actually need. And that’s a gap I wanted to help fill in, and since much of it is based on my own experience, it can work.

Of course, this means letting go of any fantasy about being happier abroad, especially those fantasies involving lots of money. This is a realistic look at getting your life started from the bottom of the totem pole. You won’t find a get-rich-quick scheme here – you won’t even find a get-rich-at-all scheme.

Here’s what you will find:

-Why the West is finished economically and socially…and why you need to take action soon
-How to simplify your life in order to prepare to expatriate
-How you can travel and try out countries very cheaply...and even start funding your travels
-The Two Escapes you need to make to be free...and how to start
-How to get a job teaching English abroad...even if you lack a degree and experience
-How to choose a foreign language to learn and maximize its effectiveness for you
-Resources you can use to start moving towards your goals today

I really do think we’re on the threshold of an “expatriation apocalypse.” I named the guide that because I think with each passing year, the window closes a bit more. Eventually I expect even worse unemployment rates for men, travel bans, and more misandrist laws and policies that make gaining any ground in the West impossible for a man…and it is horrible already.

Get out before the “Expatriation Apocalypse” happens…
Hey Ghost, I'm new here and have read some of your posts here on other threads and you seem to know a lot. I was just curious as to what you would recommend to someone like me. Here is my situation:

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... =2&t=30655
http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... &start=150 <Halfway down is my post & also at the bottom

I really want to go abroad and some of the reasons are because I don't want to be trapped here in the US living like a modern day slave, living the best years of my life working non-stop just to make someone else richer. What's the point of trying to make a living here in the US if most of that time is spent working 8-12 hrs a day/5-6 days a week for the majority of your life only to hope to retire someday but by then one will be too old to enjoy what life has to offer? What do you recommend I do? Hope to hear from soon, thanks.
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Post by USA_luxury_prison »

Ghost wrote:
USA_luxury_prison wrote: Hey Ghost, I'm new here and have read some of your posts here on other threads and you seem to know a lot. I was just curious as to what you would recommend to someone like me. Here is my situation:

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... =2&t=30655
http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... &start=150 <Halfway down is my post & also at the bottom

I really want to go abroad and some of the reasons are because I don't want to be trapped here in the US living like a modern day slave, living the best years of my life working non-stop just to make someone else richer. What's the point of trying to make a living here in the US if most of that time is spent working 8-12 hrs a day/5-6 days a week for the majority of your life only to hope to retire someday but by then one will be too old to enjoy what life has to offer? What do you recommend I do? Hope to hear from soon, thanks.
I read your posts. It sounds like you're pretty aware for being 24 years old. Had I only been so aware at that age or before I'd be doing so much better now. Anyway, I read that you are Hispanic and live in Texas, correct? Do you speak Spanish or have familial connections to a country in Latin America? Those two things, if you have them, could give you a direction for going abroad, and you'd have an out right in your backyard.

I read also that you haven't finished college. If you don't have a degree, certain options will be limited, such as teaching English abroad. Most countries require or at least strongly prefer EFL teachers who have degrees. If you have a degree, you can start building a lasting career in TEFL. That said, a degree probably won't help you much domestically if you needed to stack some cash first. I've known vastly underemployed people who had degrees in engineering, mathematics, physics, and other hard degrees. Even if you get a 'good' degree, it won't necessarily help you here. If you can finish your degree without too much trouble, I'd suggest doing that first, preferably while you stack cash in whatever job you can get while you're finishing that.

Do you have any specific countries you want to live in? How much liquid cash do you have currently?

And finally, do you have hobbies, talents, or other proclivities? You'll want to look at anything you've got or can do, and you never know how it might help you in some way.
Hey Ghost, I really appreciate it that you replied back. Yes, I am Hispanic and live in Tx. I speak both English and Spanish very well and do have some familial connections in Mexico however most of my family are here in the states. The main reason why I didn't finish college was because I was unsure whether or not continuing to finish my degree in Graphic Design would guarantee me a long-term stable job in this economy and I didn't want to use up the rest of my free financial aid help. I was basically clueless as to what direction in life to take while in college hence why I just chose Graphic Design because I like art. I still have 1-1.5 yrs left to finish that degree but now I see it's useless since I'm becoming more aware of everything that's going on here besides like you said a degree doesn't really guarantee you a job in that specific field here in the states. I've also witnessed underemployed college graduates sitting on top of their degree while working jobs that anyone can pretty much work at. Should I just go to school and get a TEFL certificate? I've read many times here how that's the way to go for expats.

I have my eyes set on Eastern Europe but any country will do as long as I'm welcome there, its safe, the people are friendly, cost of living is cheap or affordable, the lifestyle is laid back/not stressful, it has beautiful scenery and it's not some corrupt country with a lot of crime. I hope that's not too much to ask for,lol. I do however prefer Europe over any other country since I like white girls, idk why but I have a thing for white girls.lol. I think hungarians are also hot. I have a little under $450 cash(I know not much) that I'm using to get by until I find another job.

I don't have many hobbies other than swimming, hiking, bike riding, reading and I know a bit on how to play the piano but that's it.
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

As far as China goes the best women are in the Southern coastal provinces. Cantonese girls are good as are those from Fujian.

I'd avoid Shanghai. Not sure about Beijing but again South is better.

I got my CELTA from an International House, it was hard work and I haven't taught since but I've earnt back many times the cost of the course already because it's hugely boosted my self confidence and I've done much, much better at job interviews since.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.